Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:41 pm 

Wrote a great deathgrind song today. I really need to work on my OSR stuff, that's my main project. I think I'm going to set aside some time next weekend to do that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:15 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
I'm bored and full of coffee, which I usually don't drink, so now I'm jittery with caffeine and feel the need to write something. So I just wrote 3 nu-metal songs. I guess that's what they'd be. Very verse/chorus/verse and simple yet catchy. I figured hell, why not? I might even throw a breakdown in one of them and write some deathcore, just for shits and giggles. Or giggleshits, as I like to say.

Throw a breakdown in all those nu-metal songs and you have an Emmure ep.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:51 pm 

So today i was supposed to be working a Ren Faire... meaning just setting up a booth and selling my paintings while drinking. that went into the toilet. I packed up all my shit, went to the city it was supposed to be held. I went on and cut grass like I do every sat morning. And if it wasn't for my wife and mom looking at the news/checking online I wouldn't have known anything about it being moved from one location to another. This totally threw off my plans of how I was picking everything up getting there to set up. By the time I got direction on how to get to the new place it started raining. All my stuff is in a pickup truck. I can't drive in drizzle or rain. So I had to basically unpack everything where I work which thankfully was covered from the rain. Then I went to my shed and wrote some material, KP, CA, some stuff for the BM challenge and work on drums for infinite. after my disgust took the best of me I left and drove to the new location to see what looked more like some kid's sad birthday with a few tents. I turned around and went home and took a 2 hour nap.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:24 pm 

What a bummer. Keep truckin' man!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:10 pm 

That's all I can do. I'm trying to be like infinite and get all liquored up and then I'll go write something. but right now I still just want to punch everything.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm 

SLK; you are the liquor.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:16 am 

that's normally what I look like when drinking aside from that beer being a fifth of old crowe.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:54 am 

After your comment I looked up Emmure. Ugh, they're shit. It was an entire song of low E chugs, basically. Now for some odd reason I'm inspired to try to write a legitimate deathcore song, low E chugs and breakdowns included. Oh, maybe I can sing/scream/whine about my emotions and get on the radio! I should see if I can write a song consisting entirely of low E chugs and breakdowns, which are also low E chugs.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:02 pm 

It's easier than you'd think infinite :P tune to drop B and put a lot of trills in it too. Use the 5/7 frets a lot on the second string and play some Gothenburg riffs with it too, you'll be a live member of As Blood Runs Black in no time.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 pm 

The only deathcore band I can stomach is All Shall Perish, but that's cuz they're awesome. Price Of Existence is like the best thing ever that you can wring out of standard deathcore elements. -core vocals? yup, they got em. Deathcore breakdowns? Fuck yeah they got em. If all deathcore was half as good as this, it would never be so universally reviled.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:24 pm 

There you go! And the sad thing is, that simplistic shit version of heavy metal is more popular than the good stuff these days.

Get ready to punch the floor. I should finish this song today and I'll post it. Just gotta figure out what to write the lyrics about. Can't really write about my emotions, the only ones I have are anger and whiskey and that's not emo enough for a deathcore song. I guess I could put some edgar alan poe in there or something.

somefella, wait until you hear my deathcore band! It'll blow you away with it's breakdowns. Actually I think I'm going to write a song that's nothing but a breakdown.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:25 pm 

You could write about how mad you are that your toilet isn't golden. Or you could write about the fact that you have to get up off the couch in order to get beer from the fridge. Those would be great deathcore songs :P

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 pm 

I enjoy breakdowns actually, if written well. The stupid thing about the modern -core breakdowns is that they're stupidly written and stupidly placed, the whole vibe of it is just "ok members of the crowd who seem mildly interested in us because you paid $35 to see Suffocation and some dumbass promoter whose balls we licked clean decided to put us on the bill, here's the cue to FOKK SHEET UPP!!"

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 pm 

Suffocation - Liege of Inveracity is a great example of a death metal breakdown done right.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
After your comment I looked up Emmure. Ugh, they're shit. It was an entire song of low E chugs, basically. Now for some odd reason I'm inspired to try to write a legitimate deathcore song, low E chugs and breakdowns included. Oh, maybe I can sing/scream/whine about my emotions and get on the radio! I should see if I can write a song consisting entirely of low E chugs and breakdowns, which are also low E chugs.

Then you'll sound like Bury Your Dead. or the Acacia Strain.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:35 pm 

Black Veil Brides maybe, or Veil Of Maya. Goddamn these names are horrible :ugh:

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:56 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
After your comment I looked up Emmure. Ugh, they're shit. It was an entire song of low E chugs, basically.

I for one am completely okay with that. I get a lot of shit for liking some Emmure songs. Whatever I do what I want. I really like idiotic breakdown driven hardcore.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 am 

Who cares man, dig what you dig :headbang:

Learning one of the songs my vocalist wrote for Oshiego's 3rd album. The music is getting less extreme in terms of speed or fretboard acrobatics, focusing more on powerful grooves and interesting chugging patterns. There'll probably be more pocket space for our new bassist to play around with so I'm interested in what he can come up with as well, this being his first release with us.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:58 am 

Hell yeah grooves! One thought about "The Great Architect of Nothing" I had that I don't think I posted yet is that you guys sound like a brutal death metal version of Arallu :P but so much more as well. Don't mean to be reductionist.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am 

No worries dude, just glad that people dig it so far. I'm hearing a lot of feedback that we sound like certain bands which I myself would never have ascribed to. From Absu to Desultor to Dying Fetus and all that, :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm 

Emmure really ain't even hardcore. E Town Concrete has more cred than them. If you want beatdown breakdown driven hardcore pull out some Blood for Blood or Disembodied or Martyr AD or hell even early Terror. cause at least all of them are still recognizable as hardcore. emmure is just nu-metal if you like it, that's cool.

Hell I like Admiral Angry and I don't care how many people say it's doom or some bullshit... that's some straight up daddyhate numetal but with vocals that sound like they are ripped from Khanate's school. And I love every jumpdafuck up groove they do.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:41 pm 

I like Blood for Blood a lot. The Livin' in Exile album is my favorite, I get a kick out of the Motorhead cover at the end. They do it very well.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:46 pm 

Finally got my blue dye in the mail, so I'm staining the top of my les paul and trying to pop the figuring in the maple. It's only got a bit of figuring to it, but I'd like for it to stand out as much as possible. It's going to take lots of staining, sanding, staining, sanding, finishing, sanding, finishing, sanding, finishing, and polishing to get that to happen. Hopefully I can get a big chunk of it done tonight though.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:15 pm 

All this talk about Emmure, I decided to go check them out as well and HOLY shit that's bad.

Wrote some solos for new songs, and finally fixed the stupid bow on my new guitar.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 pm 

Emmure live is even worse than Emmure on album too. There was that video of the singer getting electrocuted a while back.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 pm 

Here's the les paul I'm working on. Just shot my first couple coats of clear on it tonight, and once they dry they'll pretty much be sanded off. On top of that will go many many more coats of clear, and once that cures, it'll get polished. But here it is so far. That maple's from Home Depot, by the way. I love that place.

Spoiler: show

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm 

That's BEAUTIFUL!!! :D

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 pm 

Really want to get an Arturia MiniBrute now. I want to play stuff on a synth since I have been wanting to do some other stuff besides grindcore. I might just sell one of my kidneys.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:05 pm 

Only thing I accomplished somewhat musically today was restringing a Warlock I haven't played on in over a decade so I could have a back up guitar for Dragunov when we play live.

one fixed and how 3 more to go with ass guitars to make non-ass.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:12 am 

Well, I have every song for the album done. 10 Death Metal tracks, and there will be 1 intro track when I can get the fucker tabbed out..
Unfortunate thing is, I'm gonna have to rerecord all of the guitar parts, since these are just scratch tracks, and a lot of them have some flaws. I don't care about a few tiny flaws, but some of them have very noticeable ones, so thats 20 guitar tracks, 2 for each song, that have to be rerecorded once I get a decent enough mic.

Time to start on the story/concept for the album, which will also be the lyrics, and while I already have the idea for it, I have no idea where to start.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:18 am 

Well at least you have the songs now! that's the important part!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:03 am 

If you're rehearsed enough, guitar recording is actually a really quick process. Just get someone over to help record you to make everything smoother.

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:26 am 

somefella wrote:
Name it Trevor Phillips Inc. !

Trying to fix my stubborn ass Ibanez neck. Stupid thing keeps bowing the next day despite repeated attempts to tighten the fucking truss rod.

Sounds like the truss rod screw ends are stripped, so even though you turn them, nothing is happening. You may need to replace the neck (or have a guitar tech replace the truss rod screws or nuts).

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:38 am 

Thanks for the help dude but I've resolved it already haha.

Been spending a lot of time doing solos recently. Not much going on with the band now besides light work on the next album, promotion for the current one, and once-a-week rehearsals. So a lot of my time spent playing guitar is more and more on lead playing, keeping the advice of Dimebag, James Murphy and Jeff Waters in mind(go to the old school for the lead chops and don't worry so much about theory).

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 pm 

SLK: Finish the drums, fooo

lightly sanded the top of my les paul nice and smooth and laid down a few more coats of clear. It has that nice glassy shine to it, so now I'm going to let it just sit somewhere and cure, and in about 2 weeks I'll polish it up and put it together.

Finished writing the lyrics and recording vocals for one of my black metal challenge songs, and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

Well I just spent an hour getting a single riff out of my damn head. God. It's a complex one for sure, and a really long one too. But it connects at both ends nicely. Tremolo picking and many finger moving changes throughout. Blurg

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:11 am 

^fucking tell me about it. One of the days we were supposed to record vocals and the fucking incessant drilling that was going on nearby....urgh

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:18 pm 

drums be coming, I ain't been at my shed to do anything kinda been busy with these artshows. less doing music this month. :/

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 pm 

Today is going to be a drum-part writing day for Treeweaver. Came to the conclusion I definitely don't want to be the sole member forever as that's just kind of depressing for me to be honest. I don't know how I'm going to go about finding other people though. I am done writing guitar parts for another song for the full-length album Upon This Earthen Tomb which is a black/thrash/speed song with some Plaguewielder/Ravishing Grimness riffs in it. A key element of the musical aspect of Treeweaver is keeping the spirit of the 1980s alive by not playing any specific style of riff, keeping the influences metallic, diverse, and not restricted to any one style, like the primordial ooze of the 1980s underground metal scene which I wish I was alive for! I have black/doom descriptor in my signature but that really honestly doesn't fit as a good description of the music. I don't think any one sub-genre could accurately describe it.

Anyway my main hope with this black/speed/thrash song is that maybe it may cause someone to stop listening to Transilvanian Hunger and motivate them to actually hear a new Darkthrone album and stop putting corpsepaint on LOL.

If the album is recieved well enough I'm planning on doing a limited CD run. I'll never release the demo on physical media.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 pm 

THERE IS NO EXCUSE! *cracks whip*

long day at work today. Probably going to try to work on the outline of a book idea I have, so I can participate in nanowrimo this year. It's coming up soon, so I really need to get crackin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 ... 185  Next