* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Maybe try Cloak of Altering. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO0wegjQ3a0

And as a general suggestion for anybody who's into Thantifaxath, check out Cult of Fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byn3IsVY8FE

@ Cloak of Altering: thanks, will do!
@ Cult of Fire: seconded. Seen 'em live this summer; slays.

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:52 pm 

Looking for black metal styled music with majority clean vocals. Any recs?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:17 am 

Benighted Leams and Urfaust are mostly clean vocals.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:00 am 

Circle of Ouroboros - what I've heard is clean vocals solely (Unituli).

Raate's second album uses clean vocals mostly.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:25 am 

Unituli has some vocals that are more growled/traditional-ish, but most of the vocal work has a really heavy echo. So, even when relatively "clean" they aren't really so in the usual sense of the word. Worth checking out the album though I liked it.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:18 pm 

xGeneralSureMan wrote:
Looking for black metal styled music with majority clean vocals. Any recs?

You probably already know Ulver, but in case you don't:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm 

Nitpicking curiosity here. Does Wintherr ever use umlauts in album/song names? The Discogs notes on Das Tor say the following:

"The one and so far only umlaut this band has used was in the inlay of the tape version of this album, namely in the lyrics for “Macht des Schicksals”: The fourth line read, “Über Fluesse”, whereas the same word “über” used another four lines later in “Ueber Geroell” showed the usual paraphrase with “ue”. The reason for this is unknown, but since the digipak CD re-release shows it written “Ueber” in both cases, it is believed to be a typo."

He never uses them then? :scratch:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:07 pm 

No one has ever been able to recommend me a record in the vein of Taake's 'Nattestid'. I'm not surprised as it's one of the best black metal releases ever, but still.

Duisterling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:51 am 

androdion wrote:
Nitpicking curiosity here. Does Wintherr ever use umlauts in album/song names? The Discogs notes on Das Tor say the following:

"The one and so far only umlaut this band has used was in the inlay of the tape version of this album, namely in the lyrics for “Macht des Schicksals”: The fourth line read, “Über Fluesse”, whereas the same word “über” used another four lines later in “Ueber Geroell” showed the usual paraphrase with “ue”. The reason for this is unknown, but since the digipak CD re-release shows it written “Ueber” in both cases, it is believed to be a typo."

He never uses them then? :scratch:

Guess not? Could be the same as with Taake; apparently, it's part of the "Taake package" that Hoest never uses Ø, Å, etc.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
No one has ever been able to recommend me a record in the vein of Taake's 'Nattestid'. I'm not surprised as it's one of the best black metal releases ever, but still.

I thought Lutomysl's last couple albums had a lot of similarities to Taake although I haven't listened to "Nattestid" in years

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:50 pm 

I asked about this before, but didn't articulate my request properly and rambled instead and I feel this may have reduced the quality of the reccommendations I could have recieved simply because I didn't make it clear what I was asking.

I am looking for dark, atmospheric, easy-to-digest, entry level black metal that does not have an emphasis on machine-gun drumming. I can't stand songs where the drums just sound like taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap all the way through. I'm a n00b when it comes to black metal, sue me.

Note: I do not want a punk-y sound either, like Carpathian Forest. The type of songs I'm looking for use dark, atmospheric, riffs,

Example of what I'm looking for:

The main riff has an evil, brooding, haunting, feel to it and the drums are not overly pronounced or pretentious. The vocals are appropriately shrieked and give an agonizing feel, while the song itself is slow and prodding and does not focus on blast.

The production is squeaky-clean compared to most traditional black metal, but this is not a necessity. I don't mind raw production as long as it's not overly raw. An old, dusty, cassette player is as far as I can go. Black metal that sounds like it was recorded on a broken fisher price toy is for the hardcore fans and not n00bs such as myself.

Traits of what I need:

- A slow to mid-tempo pace
- the main emphasis is on the riffs, not the blast beat drumming
- the riffs create a dark, evil, atmosphere
- the shrieks sound depraved and fjorked up, not like a whining 12-year old girl
- See example above, it practically sums everything up

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:44 pm 

asterix645 wrote:
The production is squeaky-clean compared to most traditional black metal, but this is not a necessity. I don't mind raw production as long as it's not overly raw. An old, dusty, cassette player is as far as I can go. Black metal that sounds like it was recorded on a broken fisher price toy is for the hardcore fans and not n00bs such as myself.

Traits of what I need:

- the shrieks sound depraved and fjorked up, not like a whining 12-year old girl

Later Lunar Aurora maybe. Although it's a bit blasty.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Schwarze+Winde/3F6g82?src=5

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:46 pm 

^ @ asterix645 Have you ever checked out Infestus? Excellent clear production with various tempos, plenty of slow to mid-paced sections with a pretty dark atmosphere overall. This album in particular is a very solid release.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 pm 

^ @ asterix645 Well Dark Funeral sound a lot like fellow Swedes Marduk and Naglfar... Never listen to those bands much, but I would suggest giving bands like Urgehal (last 2 albums), Taake (Norway), Mgla (Poland), and Blodsrit (another Swedish band) A try. I think all of those bands are very guitar riff focused with excellent and varied drumming as well. You may also like some stuff by Arckanum and Svartsyn if you haven't already heard of them.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm 

asterix645 wrote:
I asked about this before, but didn't articulate my request properly and rambled instead and I feel this may have reduced the quality of the reccommendations I could have recieved simply because I didn't make it clear what I was asking.

I am looking for dark, atmospheric, easy-to-digest, entry level black metal that does not have an emphasis on machine-gun drumming. I can't stand songs where the drums just sound like taptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptaptap all the way through. I'm a n00b when it comes to black metal, sue me.

Note: I do not want a punk-y sound either, like Carpathian Forest. The type of songs I'm looking for use dark, atmospheric, riffs,

Example of what I'm looking for:

The main riff has an evil, brooding, haunting, feel to it and the drums are not overly pronounced or pretentious. The vocals are appropriately shrieked and give an agonizing feel, while the song itself is slow and prodding and does not focus on blast.

Traits of what I need:

Does your RL name happen to begin with the letter D?

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:42 pm 

Anyone got any good one-man Burzum-type bands? As underground or well-known that you can think of.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:33 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Anyone got any good one-man Burzum-type bands? As underground or well-known that you can think of.

Do you mean bands that sound like burzum? Or just one man projects like Burzum?

If it's the latter I'll recommend this obscure project: Gnome from japan

Warning though it is kind of odd, and includes alot of ambient stuff.

xGeneralSureMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:58 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
Unituli has some vocals that are more growled/traditional-ish, but most of the vocal work has a really heavy echo. So, even when relatively "clean" they aren't really so in the usual sense of the word. Worth checking out the album though I liked it.

This is awesome.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:50 am 

Anyone have bands that are musically very similar to Urfaust, but with a more traditional approach to vocals? At times, Urfaust sounds like a doomy Gorgoroth, which is very interesting. Nothing wrong with Urfaust's vocals as such, but something less obtrusive so as to let the music shine to a greater extent would be very good.

As an example, I can only come up with Vitsaus, which is mostly fast or mid-paced. That will do, but slow tempos would be very nice. So in short, bands with riffs similar to Urfaust. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:39 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Said this before, will say it again. Favorite/best 1 man band of today IMO is Pagan Hellfire, the guy does everything. Many 1 man bands are plagued by crappy drumming or drum machines, not this guy, he is a masterful drummer, guitar player and vocalist. Also Folkvang, 1 man band but Pagan Hellfire did session drums for him. Evil (Brazil) they have a drummer, but it's just a 2 man band and they sound a lot like an evolved version of Burzum that doesn't totally suck now. Unhuman Disease (1 man band from OK) his latest album is a huge step up from previous works, pretty awesome stuff. Then there's Sapthuran which is very minimal like early Burzum, he has some great riffs, but it's overall not that special. Again Lutomysl and Svartsyn are 2 underrated 1 man bands that you would never know are 1 man bands because the quality of their music is so high.

Edit: \/ Oh yeah Wigrid, he ruled :idea:

Last edited by Sick6Six on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:56 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Most definitely check out Wigrid, especially the debut, Burzum worship as close as it gets.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Anyone have bands that are musically very similar to Urfaust, but with a more traditional approach to vocals? At times, Urfaust sounds like a doomy Gorgoroth, which is very interesting. Nothing wrong with Urfaust's vocals as such, but something less obtrusive so as to let the music shine to a greater extent would be very good.

As an example, I can only come up with Vitsaus, which is mostly fast or mid-paced. That will do, but slow tempos would be very nice. So in short, bands with riffs similar to Urfaust. :)

Would Laster fit the bill Ilwhyan, they remind me of Urfaust at times.

Worth a try!

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:14 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Try Galdr's latest, Ancient Light of the Stars.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 pm 

Thanks, all. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

Would Laster fit the bill Ilwhyan, they remind me of Urfaust at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3-8H1xCDzo

Worth a try!

Thanks a bunch, it sounds quite agreeable so far. I especially like the full-bodied sound of the drums. The pacing feels quite similar to Urfaust, definitely.

Edit: The second riff is excellent. It's just what I was looking for, and more. Thanks!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:01 pm 

I'm searching for something similar to Mare Cognitum's An Extraconscious Lucidity, mainly in how epic that album sounds. It reminds me a lot of Dawn's Slaughtersun in the sense of grandeur and some of the riffing, and even the vocals, although it does have elements that Dawn doesn't use.

Is there anything with this melodic and emotional roller coaster type of sound out there, apart from the usual meloblack stuff?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:17 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Thanks a bunch, it sounds quite agreeable so far. I especially like the full-bodied sound of the drums. The pacing feels quite similar to Urfaust, definitely.

Edit: The second riff is excellent. It's just what I was looking for, and more. Thanks!

Good to hear mate, they have alot of potential and one to keep an eye on. While we are at it check these guys out, probably fit the bill too.

http://malacath.bandcamp.com/

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:29 pm 

androdion wrote:
I'm searching for something similar to Mare Cognitum's An Extraconscious Lucidity, mainly in how epic that album sounds. It reminds me a lot of Dawn's Slaughtersun in the sense of grandeur and some of the riffing, and even the vocals, although it does have elements that Dawn doesn't use.

Is there anything with this melodic and emotional roller coaster type of sound out there, apart from the usual meloblack stuff?

I would need to revisit the album tbh drodi as I can not remember it clearly from memory. Something tells me to say Galactic Cancer Squad or Spectral Lore being similar if you want to check. I will relisten to Mare when I get a chance and get back to you.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:45 pm 

STORMM wrote:
androdion wrote:

I would need to revisit the album tbh drodi as I can not remember it clearly from memory. Something tells me to say Galactic Cancer Squad or Spectral Lore being similar if you want to check. I will relisten to Mare when I get a chance and get back to you.

Thanks for the effort mate! :thumbsup:

I've listened to Spectral Lore before, being that he made a split with Jacob from MC, as well as some Autothrall review I guess. Wasn't really my style though, can't explain why exactly but I guess the songs focused too much on the atmosphere at the cost of the riffs. I tend to prefer this kind of atmospheric black metal with still enough emphasis on the riffs as to not become a seamless dirge you know?!

I will check out the other band though, that I one I've never heard. I just need to finish off jamming Dark Space I, he.

Speaking of Darkspace, and at the risk of hijacking my own request, I've been in the mood for more stuff like this as well. I've listened to the entirety of Paysage d'Hiver's discography but nothing really stood out to me except for Das Tor. OK, so Nact and Kristal & Isa were alright, but that really raw (or should I just say absent) production didn't let me properly enjoy them. I guess Das Tor is as raw as I can tolerate.

So, I know there's a lot in that style as I've seen it recommended over time, but what I want is really specific. Stuff like Darkspace/PdH's Das Tor, that focus in lengthy compositions that manage to mix atmospheric (and somewhat raw) black metal with dark ambient, but with the general mood of the music being more abstract, cold, inhumane or even detached from the sense of self. I don't want stuff like Alrakis, which sounds to "cheery" (I know it's not the correct term but you know what I mean) or Midnight Odyssey which is just too melodic and peaceful. I want crude and often violent stuff, the kind that levels you as much as it entrances you, but I also don't want a record that fully separates the black metal from the ambient, more like one that melds those two effectively.

How's that for being picky? :lol:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:28 pm 

^ No problem androdion, I will get back to you about your first request, for your second try this -

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:31 pm 

Hmmm...maybe Astral Silence?

Or another band with "silence" in the name who they did a split with, De Silence et d'Ombre:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm 

Already onto those three, thanks a lot for the quick replies! I will give some feedback later on.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 pm 

And I'm back with feedback. :)

Vemod - Vinterilden was actually pretty cool, although it went a bit astray here and there. Shame it's a cassette only release. I will have to check out their album though, it seems to be the only thing they've pressed to CD.

Galaktik Cancer Squad - I can understand why you recommended this one but I'm just not feeling much love over it. The tempo changes too often and there's too much emphasis on the progressive elements. I'm looking for something more based on simpler and repetitive chord progressions.

Astral Silence - I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand its concept seems very interesting, while on the other the execution seems hit and miss. I've heard half of Astral Journey but will have to listen to it in full a couple of times to see if it tickles my fancy or not.

De Silence et d'Ombre - This is kind of strange, and sometimes I just feel like shutting it off. That song you linked however maintained its grip over me more than I had expected. I'll have to listen to a couple of albums to form a proper opinion (Vol. II and III as it seems).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 pm 

The Vemod full-length is certainly cool. One of my favorites from that Nidrosian scene, along with Celestial Bloodshed.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Body_Hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:27 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:

Technically two men, not one man, but I Shalt Become has a pretty Burzum-esque sound: cold, bleak, minimalist, and with that low-fi production. Here's a sample from their first album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVokZFA6aFo

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:35 am 

androdion wrote:
And I'm back with feedback. :)

Vemod - Vinterilden was actually pretty cool, although it went a bit astray here and there. Shame it's a cassette only release. I will have to check out their album though, it seems to be the only thing they've pressed to CD.

Galaktik Cancer Squad - I can understand why you recommended this one but I'm just not feeling much love over it. The tempo changes too often and there's too much emphasis on the progressive elements. I'm looking for something more based on simpler and repetitive chord progressions.

Astral Silence - I'm on the fence with this one. On one hand its concept seems very interesting, while on the other the execution seems hit and miss. I've heard half of Astral Journey but will have to listen to it in full a couple of times to see if it tickles my fancy or not.

De Silence et d'Ombre - This is kind of strange, and sometimes I just feel like shutting it off. That song you linked however maintained its grip over me more than I had expected. I'll have to listen to a couple of albums to form a proper opinion (Vol. II and III as it seems).

While we are on the subject androdion, would Trist's 'Hin' be too obvious? His best work in my opinion but im sure you are familiar with that one.

Here is one I mention from time to time, I find the atmosphere and riffs very similar to Darkspace though the drumming (drum machine) is insane. If you can get past that and let it sink in it is a gem of an album, the earlier demo's are quality to if not a bit less chaotic. I have become used to the drumming and think it fits quite well, the bass guitar sound is huge, especially through head phones, it has a powerful rumble. Sadly he has disappeared into obscurity.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am 

If anyone wants to hear psychedelic/ambient black metal give Yoga's Megafauna a shot. Very creepy and eerie!!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am 

forgot about this 1 man band who did an awesome split with Virvatulet, just noticed he came out with a full length.

Gratzug:

I think Canis Dirus also fit some of the previous requests:

P.S. I need to listen to that Darkness band some more

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:01 pm 

STORMM wrote:
While we are on the subject androdion, would Trist's 'Hin' be too obvious? His best work in my opinion but im sure you are familiar with that one.

Here is one I mention from time to time, I find the atmosphere and riffs very similar to Darkspace though the drumming (drum machine) is insane. If you can get past that and let it sink in it is a gem of an album, the earlier demo's are quality to if not a bit less chaotic. I have become used to the drumming and think it fits quite well, the bass guitar sound is huge, especially through head phones, it has a powerful rumble. Sadly he has disappeared into obscurity.

To be completely honest I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to black metal, so "too obvious" isn't something that will happen much when recommending me black metal. I know a lot of the better known bands and a few obscure ones, but when it comes to the darker extremities of black metal I'm quite the noob. :D

Will try Trist, as well as the other CD which got an astounding run of 66 CD-R copies! :annoyed:

By the way, heard the Vemod full-length yesterday and it sounds very interesting. Reminds me a bit of old Burzum sometimes.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 pm 

More feedback. :)

I listened to Trist and their double album as much as I could endure it. Hin is one of those cases where the song either mesmerizes you or it just doesn't work. With me it's the later, and the second disc is just plain bizarre. Not my cup of tea.

I gave De Silence Et d'Ombre another shot and tried the works from 2008 and 2010. It's not what I'm after.

Astral Silence is a weird case. You know when you listen to an album and you just let it roll because you're not actively liking nor disliking it, and it plays on until the end but then you feel no desire to listen to it again? Astral Journey does that to me. It's there and I can dig some ideas, mainly the atmosphere which is very well achieved, but I'm always expecting it to climax and it never happens. All songs feel contempt in plodding along, almost taunting you at the possibility of a violent outburst that never comes. I wish it would though, that would make their sound "full circle".

About Darkness, I actually enjoyed most of the sonic presentation. But much like it was said, the drumming is "insane" to say the least! It almost felt like there was a Marduk album being played in the background. :lol:

Is there anything like Vemod but more violent at spaces, while still keeping that general mood?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 231  Next