* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:17 am 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
It's OK, You don't have to pretend you weren't hyped for most of this year. I'll be picking it up on Monday if there are still any copies left.

Oh trust me if I was hyped for it I would have let you know, I haven't played and passed a Pokemon game since Silver all those years back. I remember the generation that came after that for the GBA I played it for a bit and just felt underwhelmed. I loved Silver/Gold and it was just such a let down and I hadn't played a Pokemon game since, besides replaying Silver multiple times. That gen Pokemon game was just the best, did you ever play the remakes for Gold/Silver, if so are they any good? and by that I mean do they capture the brilliance of that era.

Sorry, I thought anyone who had any interest in the game would have known about it a long time ago. The Gold/Silver remakes are a blast from the past, very faithful renditions. Aside from some new game mechanics, it is almost unadulterated. You'll not see a single Pokemon that wasn't from that era until you beat the Champion which I thought was great. I have skipped quite a few of the games, but haven't been away as long as you have, so I'm not sure if will enjoy it as much, but I thought it was pretty nice.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:59 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Sorry, I thought anyone who had any interest in the game would have known about it a long time ago. The Gold/Silver remakes are a blast from the past, very faithful renditions. Aside from some new game mechanics, it is almost unadulterated. You'll not see a single Pokemon that wasn't from that era until you beat the Champion which I thought was great. I have skipped quite a few of the games, but haven't been away as long as you have, so I'm not sure if will enjoy it as much, but I thought it was pretty nice.

Might have to pick up a copy of Soul Silver, sounds good. Also just to note, I did know there was a new Pokemon game coming out. I just didn't realise it was so soon and I found out the day before it came out and I was like "Ehh sounds interesting" and to be fair it is, I'm really liking it. There's a perplexing amount of new Pokemon since the Silver/Gold era, it's like "Trainer X is about to use Abgolubgalbagush, do you want to switch Pokemon?" and I'm like I haven't a fucking clue, he could be grass type for all I know and wipe out my Frogadier. Please note there is no Pokemon called "Abgolubgalbagush" in this one :P I just couldn't think of any of the new ones I saw, which leads me to my next problem with the game.

Nintendo have really run out of inspiration for the names and types of Pokemon :lol: I fought a Sword Pokemon and I was like WHAT?! a fucking sword :lol: the newer Pokemon are just completely unmemorable. I was happy with the 250 of them in Silver/Gold I felt they balanced the fine line between abundance and quality. I'm not sure how new my Pokemon are though, they could have been around when Ruby came out or later but one new Pokemon I like is Pansear(even if he has a shitty name) he's a fire/fighting type and he's kicking ass for me. Also I feel the starters this time are fairly uninspired, I mean Frogadier is just a lame name. Also the bastards wouldn't allow me call one of my Pokemon "Cunt Monster" :lol: it said word not allowed. Why do Gamefreak care what I call them? :lol:

They're all minor gripes, it's a great game and the battles in 3D are superb.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:06 pm 

Why do Gamefreak care what I call them? :lol:

Isn't there a multiplayer mode of some sort?

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:20 pm 

@Sadistic I agree with you, there have been great designs for new Pokemon since those times but they are few and far between. I have stopped learning the names of the ones that don't kick ass or don't like to use. I think the game is becoming more balanced in the gameplay, they are trying to get players to use other strategies and teams and it's mostly working. I'd say they don't want you to use the name "Cunt Monster" because the game is rated E and with the ability to battle and trade online, it could be a mess. By the way Pansear is the little fire monkey right? He's been around since... I have no idea. He's not new though.

Those games are fun and addictive as fuck, I might not buy them every generation, but it's always good to have a copy around.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:24 pm 

I skipped the last gen of Pokemon, I think this is already better than Gen 3 and 4. There's a lot of small changes that make a big difference to the game. Exp Share gives to all members of your team, and the exp isn't cut. Makes leveling in the game less grindy. You can turn it off if you wish, but it makes filling the dex easier. The online is integrated into the game better, and is accessible anywhere. Also, Pansear is from Gen 5.

HellBlazer wrote:

Yes, with kids/people of all ages playing the game. Doesn't take a genius to work out why they won't allow you to do certain words.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

Recently finished Stealth Bastard. A fairly good, moderately difficult stealth platformer that came with one of the Humble Bundles. I really liked the art style and dark humor of the game. Unfortunately the gameplay was neither varied nor engaging enough to offer much replay value despite the promise of new abilities being awarded for achievement hunting. A fun little game nevertheless.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:50 pm 

Time for obscure-second-tier-mid-2000s-MMPORPG game list. Who remembers these gems? Most are still around surprisingly, they all kind of lingered behind Runescape during this period.

Tibia Online

MU Online

Helbreath
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:32 pm 

I bought Super Stardust HD last night and have been in a shmup trance ever since. Could anyone who's played this explain to me why weapon upgrades from Arcade Mode are still present for whatever planet you're playing in Planet Mode? It makes no sense to me. I thought the purpose of that mode would be to play a planet without the benefit of having upgraded your weapons in previous levels.

This game is giving me the Tetris effect big time.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:47 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:

Funny thing is that I believe you can name them whatever you want as far back as Generation III and simply import them into a Generation IV game, and from there into Generation V, and now into Gen VI if there is some import system (and I assume there is). Here comes a Blaziken named named "Fiery Cock".

BTW, if the leaks are anything to follow, there is a legendary Pokemon that looks like a Z which means that there will probably be a Pokemon Z. Which means I'm going to wait for that game to come out.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Time for obscure-second-tier-mid-2000s-MMPORPG game list. Who remembers these gems? Most are still around surprisingly, they all kind of lingered behind Runescape during this period.

Tibia Online

MU Online

MU was the shit with my friends back then, played it a lot. Always thought Tibia was crap though.
Never played Runescape.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 am 

http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/2013/101013mc.html

:lol: :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:52 am 

Marag wrote:
Diamhea wrote:

Tibia Online

MU Online

MU was the shit with my friends back then, played it a lot. Always thought Tibia was crap though.
Never played Runescape.

Does Star Wars Galaxies count, or was that too "popular?" I still miss it to this day. :( All these stupid modern MMOs with their grinding and linear quests had nothing on the glorious open-world sense of SWG. We made our own cities, raids, economies, adventures...you know, the actual "MM" in "MMO." Shame the industry these days seems to bepumping out nothing but WOW-clones (unless I'm missing something, in which case please inform me immediately.)

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am 

Well these games were before WoW took over, which was right after. MU Online was like Diablo 2 with higher res graphics, Tibia played a lot like Ultima 6 (isometric and everything) and Helbreath was another D2 derivative.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am 

Morrigan wrote:

God, it's too accurate to be funny.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:08 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
@Sadistic I agree with you, there have been great designs for new Pokemon since those times but they are few and far between. I have stopped learning the names of the ones that don't kick ass or don't like to use. I think the game is becoming more balanced in the gameplay, they are trying to get players to use other strategies and teams and it's mostly working. I'd say they don't want you to use the name "Cunt Monster" because the game is rated E and with the ability to battle and trade online, it could be a mess. By the way Pansear is the little fire monkey right? He's been around since... I have no idea. He's not new though.

Those games are fun and addictive as fuck, I might not buy them every generation, but it's always good to have a copy around.

Yeah Pansear is the little fire monkey, he's cool and kicks serious ass. He just learned fire blast which is always a good move. It is more balanced but way too easy I'm afraid, gone are the days of me being stuck on a gym leader because I didn't level up enough, your other pokemon level with you with the exp share. Also never thought about the naming thing for online, guess it makes sense the Pokemon I wanted to call "Cunt Monster" was a Pokemon I was storing in a box so it's all good anyway I usually don't rename my Pokemon. Probably never gonna play it online but it's good to be back battling little creatures, brings out my inner 10 year old. Also the 3D battles look superb, really great. It's class when my Frogadier uses Water Pulse it looks great in 3D.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

Got my copy yesterday. A little bummed that I can't find any pokemon that I really want to train though, I'm stuck with a Beedrill that will surely get benched at some point. Noticeable improvements everywhere, a very streamlined experience this time around for sure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Where's the "Skip the Opera House" DLC?

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Got my copy yesterday. A little bummed that I can't find any pokemon that I really want to train though, I'm stuck with a Beedrill that will surely get benched at some point. Noticeable improvements everywhere, a very streamlined experience this time around for sure.

Really? I'm about 9 hours into it and I'm coming down with great pokemon. Got a Bagon in the rocky area. Just get past the forest and the game throws so much at you. It's hard to keep up.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:02 pm 

Man this is making me want to fire up my original Pokemon Red and play thru that again. Man those games were huge back then. I remember playing in some massive tournament that took place in a local mall using that Gameboy link cord, in which they gave out Mew to everybody who participated.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:16 pm 

The new Humble Bundle looks pretty promising. I had my eyes on Worms Reloaded for quite a while. I really enjoyed the 2D worms games as a kid.

Hebidoku
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 pm 

Anyone here been playing Warframe?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:11 pm 

So I just found out I can't use the Dark Souls savegames from my local GFWL offline account with my newly created GFWL online account. The game simply states they are corrupted when I try to copy them over. Or does anybody know a workaround for this? I tried Google but this is a really hard problem to google.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:59 pm 

Dandelo wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

Really? I'm about 9 hours into it and I'm coming down with great pokemon. Got a Bagon in the rocky area. Just get past the forest and the game throws so much at you. It's hard to keep up.

I heard you can find Bagon within two hours of the game, but I couldn't get it to show up. Actually I can't get anything interesting to show up. I might have to visit serebii (despite really not wanting to just yet) and see what cool stuff I missed.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 pm 

PS3 just YLOD'd again 5 months after a proper reballing service. Fuck's sake! 6 month warranty at least, but agh, I guess I'm going to have to buy a new PS3 if this is going to keep happening.

:grr: :annoyed: :fuck: :brick:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:13 am 

inhumanist wrote:
So I just found out I can't use the Dark Souls savegames from my local GFWL offline account with my newly created GFWL online account. The game simply states they are corrupted when I try to copy them over. Or does anybody know a workaround for this? I tried Google but this is a really hard problem to google.

I'm afraid of going online and getting my ass handed to me by experienced players and ones much higher in soul level so I am only playing offline...

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:45 am 

Morrigan wrote:

I heard Final Fantasy VI was gonna have online multiplayer with team deathmatch. Everyone starts off at level 1 and can cast fire. As you level up you get access to new spells and unlock new relics.

Black belt at level 10. The thief glove relic is unlocked at level 20. The Gem box perk is available at level 30. Offering at level 40. The spell Ultima unlocks at level 50. People who do nothing but play online multiplayer obviously have the advantage and will always win cause they unlocked the best magic and equipment. They all have the thief glove + offering, ultima weapon, excalibur, quick, and ultima loadouts.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Still searching for a solution, unsucessfully. Argh, I spent, like, 100 hours with that Character. Don't wanna start all over again!
GFWL, why you such a piece of shit?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:14 pm 

I'm not sure what happened there but I'm sorry to hear that. You could always try to use some cheat engine to recreate a character with the stats and equipment you had or something. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:10 pm 

Cheat engine doesn't get me into new game plus unfortunately. Just looked it up.
Of course I could buff my character using cheat engine, then speedrun the standard game and throw away any additional items and souls afterwards. Still quite a hassle. :/

Edit: Found a table that can make NG+ happen! Many thanks for the tip! :-D

Last edited by inhumanist on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:51 pm 

GFWL is a giant piece of shit, the same exact thing happened to me back when Bioshock 2 used it. Played offline initially, and after a while I finally gave in to its prompts to set up an online account - bam, couldn't access my save, couldn't figure out how to get back to offline mode. Frustrated, I just played through the whole fucking thing again, only to discover I had been almost to the end the first time. Luckily I was able to try different upgrades and plasmids and such so it wasn't too boring, but still, very frustrating experience. I am beyond overjoyed that they yanked GFWL from Bioshock 2.

I just finished the Minerva's Den DLC btw, and it was very cool. It's its own little side-story that adds a new weapon, a number of new enemies, and some really cool new levels in Rapture's high-tech area. Maybe 6 hours to get through it, quite a decent challenge if you play on hard and disable the vita-chambers. Definitely worth playing if you liked the base game.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:32 pm 

Don't remember if it has been posted before, but LOL:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-top ... s-1455101/

My favourites are Jorah and Viserys. :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 pm 

Heh, we get some good deals out of these GFWL removals. A patched Arkham City GOTY just appeared in my Steam library, I previously had the non-GOTY version. If that's the case for anyone else, here's the procedure to convert your save from the GFWL version to the new one: http://steamcommunity.com/app/200260/di ... 549705289/

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:35 pm 

Well, I've imported my GFWL versions of Arkham Asylum and City to Steam and got both vanilla and GOTY versions for both of the games (I only had AA as GOTY) - apparently, it's being done because there's no way to tell what DLC you had back in GFWL to properly import it, so they give you the GOTY as a "better safe than sorry" solution - so it makes sense that those who got the games on Steam in the first place won't be shafted by that.

...To think of it, that's pretty damn awesome of them to do. Capcom and Namco Bandai, please take notes.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:05 pm 

Aaah, so that's the real reason for all this free DLC. Not so much generosity as... not really having a choice. :) Ah well, good for gamers at least.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:02 pm 

So I decided to get back into Dark Souls after a 2 month break. But when I load the game (on PC) I get a "Dark Souls executable has stopped working" crash after 3-5 seconds. :( Never had this problem during the summer and I haven't made any significant changes to my computer in terms of hardware, installations, etc. Any idea what the problem could be? Would deleting the local content and reinstalling through Steam wipe my save files, or are those safe within GFWL?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:41 pm 

When the crash appears click on details and see if xlive.exe is listed anywhere (also it can't hurt to post the details here). If that's the case you might need to uninstall and reinstall all components of "Games For Windows". If not, do you have dsfix installed? If so the game can crash when you configure it incorrectly or have in-game antialiasing activated. Verifying the integrity of the game cache in Steam can't hurt either. Your save files are located under ":windowspartition:\Users\:username:\Documents\NBGI\DarkSouls". They are not touched by a reinstall, but back them up to make sure. They are also tied to your Windows Live profile, so you should not mess with that. GFWL profiles are probably untouched by a reinstall, but don't count on it, make a backup (google their location)

Last edited by inhumanist on Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:47 pm 

Only DATA.exe is listed. However, when I try opening GWF Marketplace independently, it says it can't get a connection to the internet, even though I am connected. I'm wondering if this has something to do with my router; the last time I played DS was before I had moved and got a new router/ISP/etc. I tried opening up the ports Microsoft recommends for GFW (TPC 3074, UD 3074 and 88) but that hasn't helped. I'm going to try reinstalling GFW anyway - that won't affect my saves in any manner?

Also, I do have dsfix installed, but I ran fine before this and I haven't changed any of its settings.

EDIT: Yeah, reinstalled GFWL and it still can't get a connection to the internet. Ports are opened and UNPN is enabled. What the heck is there left to try?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm 

Well, since my PS3 has fucked itself again I have hooked my SNES back up and plan to annihilate Mega Man X tonight. I am ashamed to admit that the only Mega Man game I ever put enough devotion into beating was Mega Man 9, which is pathetic. Fucking great games, but I never seem to give them the attention they deserve.

hots_towel wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:35 pm 

An excellent plan. As I've mentioned here before, my friend and I have speed-running those games on PC emulators down to such a science that we have a yearly contest of doing so while taking shots in between each stage. Makes Sigma's fortress considerably more difficult...

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:38 pm 

Was going to mention, every rom of Mega Man X I've ever played would glitch up and become unplayable after a couple of levels. Hence setting the SNES up to play it. I'm usually content with using my SNES controller USB adapter and just playing roms.

hots_towel wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 524, 525, 526, 527, 528, 529, 530 ... 940  Next