Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:10 am 

Infamous drummer Kevin Talley has filled in for Dave Culross at the last two Suffocation shows. I got to witness them tear it up last night, it was AWESOME!! I recorded the entire set except the last song because there was no more memory in my phone.

For anyone who is interested, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzSQ2yQ4 ... e=youtu.be

(I apologize if there is a thread for this already, I couldn't find one)

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 am 

Damn, I read the thread title and thought this was going to be recently unearthed footage from 1998. Is Dave out of the band again? Or just couldn't make it to a couple shows?

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Can't watch the whole video right now, but I bookmarked it for sometime later today or tomorrow.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:07 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Damn, I read the thread title and thought this was going to be recently unearthed footage from 1998. Is Dave out of the band again? Or just couldn't make it to a couple shows?

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Can't watch the whole video right now, but I bookmarked it for sometime later today or tomorrow.

No problem man, I hope you enjoy watching it! As for Dave, I'm not sure what's going on but it seems that he might be out of the band again due to some family stuff going on that he needs to be there for.

JoeBlakkk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:14 pm 

Talley is a freakin beast.
His drumming on the Misery Index Dissent E.P. is insane.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:25 pm 

JoeBlakkk wrote:
Talley is a freakin beast.
His drumming on the Misery Index Dissent E.P. is insane.

Hell yeah! That's my favorite Misery Index release too.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:45 pm 

You held your phone up for 58 minutes? :ugh: Man, kudos for the effort. I'll play this in background while doing some work.

Also pardon my ignorance, but why is Talley infamous? Is it coz he's a whore of a drummer?

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:30 pm 

If Dave is really out of the band again, that means Mike Smith will remain the only drummer who has managed to play on consecutive Suffo releases. Unless, I suppose, it counts that Doug Bohn appeared on the "Live Death" split that came out before "Pierced From Within."

I know Frank keeps talking about how old he is, and other guys in the band are well past 40, but I hope they make at least one more full length, regardless of who plays drums on it. "PfW" is still my fave, but I like all the post-reunion albums too.

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:36 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
If Dave is really out of the band again, that means Mike Smith will remain the only drummer who has managed to play on consecutive Suffo releases. Unless, I suppose, it counts that Doug Bohn appeared on the "Live Death" split that came out before "Pierced From Within."

I know Frank keeps talking about how old he is, and other guys in the band are well past 40, but I hope they make at least one more full length, regardless of who plays drums on it. "PfW" is still my fave, but I like all the post-reunion albums too.

I hope they put out another album also. If they were to put out an album with Talley my brain would probably explode haha but I don't know how likely that is.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:25 pm 

I just hope they keep touring for a couple more years... I was meant to see them on the Summer Slaughter tour in 2009 but they weren't at the Worcester show for whatever reason. They've probably been in the New England area since but not that I've been aware of.

Edit: Looks like Blabbermouth posted your video!

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:24 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
I just hope they keep touring for a couple more years... I was meant to see them on the Summer Slaughter tour in 2009 but they weren't at the Worcester show for whatever reason. They've probably been in the New England area since but not that I've been aware of.

Edit: Looks like Blabbermouth posted your video!

I hope that you get to see them soon! Holy crap, that's awesome that Blabbermouth posted it!!! Thanks for the heads up on that :headbang:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 am 

shouvince wrote:
Also pardon my ignorance, but why is Talley infamous? Is it coz he's a whore of a drummer?

It's because the dude is both a monster of a drummer and he can learn entire sets inhumanely fast. He learned the sets for both Hate Eternal and Devildriver on 2 separate occasions where they needed a drummer in a quick pinch, and by quick pinch I mean 2 or 3 days notice. For Devildriver, their normal drummer had to leave for a family emergency at the last minute, so they called Talley and he wrote out the notation for the songs he didn't know by them on cardboard while listening to them while on a plane from I think Baltimore to whereever their show was that night. He then did the full set with them a couple hours after getting off the plane and nailed it on legit only 6 or 7 hours notice.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 am 

shouvince wrote:
You held your phone up for 58 minutes? :ugh: Man, kudos for the effort. I'll play this in background while doing some work.

It definitely wasn't ideal to hold up my phone for that long but I made the sacrifice because of how monumental the show was in my opinion. I wanted to have it immortalized in video for us fans to be able to enjoy. Kevin Talley is one of my favorite drummers and Suffocation is one of my favorite bands. I always wished I could have seen them play together when it first happened in the late 90's but I missed out. Not this time.

Subrick wrote:
shouvince wrote:

It's because the dude is both a monster of a drummer and he can learn entire sets inhumanely fast. He learned the sets for both Hate Eternal and Devildriver on 2 separate occasions where they needed a drummer in a quick pinch, and by quick pinch I mean 2 or 3 days notice. For Devildriver, their normal drummer had to leave for a family emergency at the last minute, so they called Talley and he wrote out the notation for the songs he didn't know by them on cardboard while listening to them while on a plane from I think Baltimore to whereever their show was that night. He then did the full set with them a couple hours after getting off the plane and nailed it on legit only 6 or 7 hours notice.

Wow, I didn't even know all that. That's damn Impressive!!

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:58 am 

That performance is fucking godlike. Thanks for recording. :)

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:03 am 

Adriankat wrote:
That performance is fucking godlike. Thanks for recording. :)

I totally agree. Best Suffocation show I've ever been to and I'm glad you enjoyed the video. One of my hopes was that people from other states/countries would watch and enjoy it since they didn't get to be there. I'm glad that's happening :)

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:50 am 

Talley is so good that it's actually kind of scary. He is exactly what can happen when you dedicate your life to your instrument.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:13 am 

Subrick wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Never doubted the man and his skills, I thought there was something else that the OP was hinting at. Anyway, I never really followed his work zealously but I will always remember him from Dying Fetus, this in particular.

I'm halfway through the set (NP: Pierced from within) and it rules. Great set of songs.

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:28 am 

Roc wrote:
Infamous drummer Kevin Talley has filled in for Dave Culross at the last two Suffocation shows.

:drool:

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:12 pm 

In any case I hope don't come back Mike 'business bitch' Smith :tongue:

"You make it easy."

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:18 pm 

The Lions Den wrote:
In any case I hope don't come back Mike 'business bitch' Smith :tongue:

I agree with this statement.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:10 pm 

Trust me, after the shit that Smith pulled when he quit, there's no way that Hobbs is going to let him back in.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 pm 

What happened with Mike?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:02 pm 

metroplex wrote:
What happened with Mike?

To make a long story short, he got pissed off at the band (but especially Hobbs) when they told him that he would not see any of the profits made from an upcoming tour unless he participated, and when he realized that he couldn't talk his way out of it, he quit right as the tour was announced and destroyed a bunch of band gear that was at his house and texted them pictures of the destroyed gear. This, coupled with a long history of generally assholeish behavior from him, probably killed his chances of ever getting back into Suffo, not that he'd want to.

My source, by the way, was Bill Robinson. I was honestly taken aback when I asked Bill why Mike left and he went on a lengthy rant about how much of an asshole the guy was.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:31 pm 

Wow. That is as big a dick move as you could get. What a jackass he is.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:02 am 

I am also convinced that Smith wanted to force Suffocation in a more technical/commercial way as evidenced by the flop of 'Blood Oath'.

When Smith went away and Culross sits again on the Suffo throne, finally got rid of all the ballast Smith had with him and started to beat again with 'Pinnnacle of Bedlam'.

P.S. I am a fan of Mike Smith of his early amazing work on Suffocation early album.

"You make it easy."

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:35 pm 

I'm not trying to call Frank Booth (wow, I haven't seen Blue Velvet in a long time) a liar, but I read so much gossipy stuff about Mike Smith it's hard to know what to believe.

For example, one claim I've seen is that he's completely unable to play anything from Despise the Sun or Pierced From Within. I admit I've never seen Suffo live, but I have heard The Close of a Chapter (their live album) and there are DTS and PFW songs on it that sound fine to me.

Also, if I'm reading the above post correctly, I don't see how Blood Oath is overly technical compared to their other albums.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:30 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I'm not trying to call Frank Booth (wow, I haven't seen Blue Velvet in a long time) a liar, but I read so much gossipy stuff about Mike Smith it's hard to know what to believe.

For example, one claim I've seen is that he's completely unable to play anything from Despise the Sun or Pierced From Within. I admit I've never seen Suffo live, but I have heard The Close of a Chapter (their live album) and there are DTS and PFW songs on it that sound fine to me.

Also, if I'm reading the above post correctly, I don't see how Blood Oath is overly technical compared to their other albums.

From what Bill said, it went like this with the Bohn and Culross material: He was able to play Pierced stuff just fine after rearranging some of the parts to better accommodate his setup and playing style (live videos will prove this), but he apparently struggled a LOT with the Culross stuff and eventually said something along the lines of "guys, I've tried and I just can't get Dave's shit down, and it sounds totally off if I rearrange it". I mean, I believe Bill. He's been buddies with those guys for a long time and has no reason to make shit up.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:58 pm 

Yep I saw them last week. Absolutely slayed with Talley. I wanted to see Culross but hey, it was a damn fine show anyway.

Thanks for the excellent video!

Roc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 pm 

hellofallhells wrote:
Yep I saw them last week. Absolutely slayed with Talley. I wanted to see Culross but hey, it was a damn fine show anyway.

Thanks for the excellent video!

Yeah, seeing them with Culross was amazing too. Glad you enjoyed the vid.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:33 pm 

I just got down to watching the whole thing and holy shit Talley is a tight motherfucking beast, even on a setlist he must have had so little time to prepare for. It probably helped that Suffocation themselves are no tempo slouches either.

The only other drummer I've heard pulled off something like that was Jimmy Degrasso's first show with Megadeth. Apparently all he did was stay up all night with a walkman and coffee, playing air drums and committing the songs to memory. They didn't even have a sound check, just a quick line check and bam. Mustaine attests to how incredibly few mistakes Degrasso made, with no rehearsals no soundcheck no nothing. Amazing.

Reply to topic