Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 pm 

Got in one of my two Seasons of the Wolf albums! Nocturnal Revelation. I'm only 4 songs in and I'm already loving it. They sound so natural and genuine. Just quality songs with good riffing and dynamics. They really know how to play faster and also slow it down for a more 70s vibe. The vocals are excellent, very snarling and snide.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

Oh man, that one is a gem. My review will probably be pretty fucking long when I get to that one. So many influences - from Mercyful Fate on one song to Maiden on the next and some Savatage and Vicious Rumors at times. Plus the 70s style horror keyboards and all. And they tie it together really well.

That Tragedy Divine song was badass, thanks Xlxlx.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

Yeah, its the way they tie in all the disparate elements for sure. It doesn't feel like "look at us! We're weird!", they just are.

I've decided the vocalist is a perfect half-and-half mixture of Bobby Blitz and the dude from Lazarus Sin.

Edit: I SAY GOT DAMN! Skulls has to be the standout for me.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:20 pm 

Glad to see that people are enjoying that Tragedy Divine tune :-D

Speaking of Nocturnal Revelation; Skulls is pretty badass, along with Quilex, Magnetic Star, the titletrack, Storm of the Century, Transmission, and..... Well, pretty much the entire album, to be honest. But man, Storm of the Century's got to be my favourite.

"THE DARK MAN COMES
CAUSE YOUR HEART IS COLD
HE BRINGS THE STORM
AND TAKES AWAY YOUR SOOOOUL!
"

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:31 pm 

NR3 is the only song I didn't love immediately. But it's basically a ballad and I did get distracted during. Transmission is a killer finisher.

I know this is a good album because its almost an hour and it flew by. Really great recommendation from Empyreal. I'm kind of surprised you knew my tastes this well.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
So the new Satan's Host is finally, FINALLY coming out. It's slated for November 14th, pre-orders are open, so it seems like after nearly 13 months of delays it's the real deal this time. Listening to the preview track...yeah, it's been worth the wait. A bit slow to get going, but MAN do some of those riffs fucking SMOKE. Conklin if anything sounds even better than before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpoO_g9K-8w

Wooooo fuck yeah. Man, sounds awesome, love the riffage when it starts to pick up a bit of pace. Can't fucking wait.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 am 

So I've been buying mostly older stuff for awhile and just wondering what are some of the best albums of the last couple of years?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:59 am 

Hey guys, I have a request and would like some assistance. I rediscovered A Night At The Opera from Blind Guardian, but more specifically, the song 'And Then There Was Silence'. I'm interested in finding bands who have a similar grandiose, multi-layered style, but can be categorized in the speed, heavy or power metal categories. Think A Night At The Opera mixed with Riot Squad, Hellish Crossfire, or The Landing. In terms of actual style or tone, I'm not looking for fantasy influences specifically (as a matter of fact, I'd prefer it not to be, unless it's a darker tone), and while I did gander at the similar artist list for Blind Guardian, I haven't been able to start narrowing it down, so if you're able to pick out a band or two to assist in expediting the process, I'd appreciate that as well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:37 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Hey guys, I have a request and would like some assistance. I rediscovered A Night At The Opera from Blind Guardian, but more specifically, the song 'And Then There Was Silence'. I'm interested in finding bands who have a similar grandiose, multi-layered style, but can be categorized in the speed, heavy or power metal categories. Think A Night At The Opera mixed with Riot Squad, Hellish Crossfire, or The Landing. In terms of actual style or tone, I'm not looking for fantasy influences specifically (as a matter of fact, I'd prefer it not to be, unless it's a darker tone), and while I did gander at the similar artist list for Blind Guardian, I haven't been able to start narrowing it down, so if you're able to pick out a band or two to assist in expediting the process, I'd appreciate that as well.

The first bands that come to mind in terms of thick, layered song structures are Ancient Bards and Theocracy, but you said you wanted to avoid fantasy-based lyrics, so that's not gonna work. :V

In terms of grandiose songs, my list of favorites includes:

Timeless Miracle - The Red Rose
This is it. My absolute favorite song of all time. Wonderfully bombastic, and full of great hooks. This easily qualifies.

Wuthering Heights - The Mad Sailor
The "ABRAMACABRA BABY" bit at the beginning is a bit silly, but other than that, this is easily in the Top 3 of my favorite songs of all time. Huge, powerful, and of course, catchy as hell.

The Slow Death - The Prodigal Son
Obviously grandiose in a different way, but the haunting atmosphere and enrapturing melodies are positively hypnotic. Another song that's high up on my list of all-time favorites, and if you're looking for a tune that's both dark and grandiose, it may become one of your favorites, too.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:14 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

What about Orden Ogan? I'll second Wuthering Heights as mentioned above.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:17 am 

New Blind Guardian

http://www.blind-guardian.com/2013/10/18/a-sign-of-hope/

Surprise, surprise,

I am sure no one expected me to be back with news about a band called Blind Guardian so quickly. The reason is quite simple, I’m a workaholic and I have no idea what to do with all my remaining energy at the moment. Therefore I have decided to spend some time with thoughts about Blind Guardian’s future plans. Here is my remarkable output (scroll to the end for the German version)…

Like the majority of you, I was also very surprised when our show in Geiselwind was announced for May 2014. I suppose that I, or one of the other guys, have agreed to this show. I’ll probably never figure out who did it, but that’s not important now, the show itself is of importance. To be honest, all of us cannot wait to get back on stage. Our stage abstinence seems much longer to us than “just” 2 years. Since we were asked to do a “Best Of” show we do not even have to rehearse, this is more or less the type of show we have done in the past anyway. I still hope we can put in some surprises since no one really knows what we consider our “Best Of” songs at the moment. It might differ from Memories of a Time to Come though. Right now I’m working on a possible set list and I’ll cross my fingers that this will be approved when the others have a look at it.

By announcing this live appearance we also secretly announced the intended termination of our album production for the end of May. We obviously have progressed quickly, in Blind Guardian terms that is. Indeed, everything looks very promising with regards to our songwriting and our production. We have good reasons to believe that the album is going to be completely finished at that point. Let’s hope I will not be proven to be the reincarnation of good old Münchhausen again. Anyway, even the worst case scenario would have us not being too far away from completion at that point. Since we have already completed several production steps on the new album the picture gets clearer and clearer. Although not necessarily clear enough to decide whether I’ll go lyrically for individual topics on each separate song or instead for a conceptual album. On one hand the concept would have a strong fantasy link and on the other hand it would contain some typical Dystopian elements, because this is also what I musically find in most of the songs. They will all feature an almost magical grandeur but will present some very harsh disturbing elements as well. Therefore such a concept might be very suitable. I will have to sleep on it for a while until I’m able to make a decision.

Whenever we start songwriting I try to create a plan in my mind detailing which qualities I would love to feature on the next BG album and what general impression I would like to create. Very often at the end things come out quite different and I’m surprised which qualities or preferences have shown up then. This time there seems to be a collective urge (without even having talked about it) among all members to feature the more aggressive side of Blind Guardian this time.

Right now, we are working on 5 faster songs. As far as I remember last time I have mentioned “Encrypted Time” and “Holy Grail” (which are both proceeding well in the album production), so I am going tell you a little bit about “Winter’s Coming”, “Outcast” and “Song 9″. The first one is based on Marcus’ idea of a 90′s orientated speed/thrash song. We have finished a good two thirds of this one. It’s fast and heavy, or was it heavy and fast? I have no idea how he came up with the title “Winter’s Coming”… “Song 9″ is a fresh one which used to be a collection of parts at first, but then developed into something very special. I would describe it as a refreshing combat between “Guardian of the Blind”, “The Script for My Requiem” and “Ride into Obsession” only disturbed by a fairly straightforward chorus. If you ask me this one is born to become a “classic, but first underrated by the band” song. My favorite among the fast ones certainly would be “Outcast”. A song full of surprises. The old school die hard fan will probably complain later that this one has a soft intro (epic and sad), but even this person would have to agree that afterwards we keep up the speed on this one to the very end. The song is a roller coaster ride through the last three decades of metal. I love it!

As for the epic tracks I love “Irish Hill” the most. I have decided to entitle this “Grand Parade” as “Irish Hill” never really fit the song. Imagine a mixture of “Wheel of Time” and “Nightfall” and you might be there. We have a beautiful orchestration for this. This one certainly demands a lot of time during production simply because there really is a massive amount of elements in it. Not as much as in “And Then There Was Silence”, but a lot…

“Midtempo Song” is the most “commercial” song on the album so far. “Commercial” in a positive way, of course. It would deserve a title like “Irish Hills” more than “Grand Parade” did when it was called “Irish Hills”, but who said that life is always fair… To give justice to the song I also have to say that it is very progressive but also very catchy. “The Throne” is another epic piece we are working on. I have just started working on vocals for this one last Friday. It is too early for me to describe this one more precisely. What I can say is that this one is the perfect link between “Grand Parade” and “The Ocean”. This last one is already completely recorded except for the vocals. “Prophecies” and “Encrypted Time” are completely recorded and the same can be said about some older B-songs, which we have decided to finalize with this session as well. The BG pundit knows about which songs I am talking.

The songwriting period is almost finished by now and the final production session is going to start next week and will keep us busy until Geiselwind. As I think about that I better stop thinking and start songwriting instead.

All the best,

Hansi, or “Hieronymus Carl Friedrich von Münchhausen” as my friends call me.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:12 am 

New Blind Guardian, uh? Well, that's cool. I liked At the Edge of Time. Certainly will give it a listen once it comes out.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:54 am 

Constantine's sophomore album is streaming here. They've evolved into modern prog metal, but I think they were discussed in this thread earlier so this may be of some interest here.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm 

Blizk wrote:
Constantine's sophomore album is streaming here. They've evolved into modern prog metal, but I think they were discussed in this thread earlier so this may be of some interest here.

I've heard it once so far - quite different from their debut that I can recall. More dreamy atmosphere-alike like songs, less focus on energetic riffing and more chugging going on.

I find it funny that the new Fates Warning record sounds so safe. Like, come on man, it was 9 years since they wrote a new album. You'd think they would try a bit harder to come up with something new and refreshing but no. :(

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:16 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I've heard it once so far - quite different from their debut that I can recall. More dreamy atmosphere-alike like songs, less focus on energetic riffing and more chugging going on.

Yeah, it's not that much about those melodic riffs the size of a ten-floor building now. Still the songwriting is great for the most part, these guys are really talented. If only the vocals didn't sound a little strained at times...

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:54 pm 

And here's the offical video of one of their new tracks...:lol:

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:42 am 

Quote:
Constantine video

That was great! Goes on my short list.

Blizk wrote:
If only the vocals didn't sound a little strained at times...

I really liked they way he's singing. He's out of his comfort zone, and that's where a rock singer should be.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:58 am 

Opus wrote:
He's out of his comfort zone, and that's where a rock singer should be.

Yep, definitely. The occasional strain is not a major problem by any means (not really present in that song), I'm sure he'll improve for live performances already.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:35 am 

I could need some recs for "Kings of Metal" like Manowar stuff... Majesty's "Sword & Sorcery", "Reign in Glory" as well as Metalforce's "s/t" album
come quite close but that's all I can think of at the moment. Ok, Virgin Steele partyl, too, but that's it then... any ideas?
Thanks!

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:29 pm 

Early Wizard (Germany) is fairly competent Manowar worship. Check out Bound by Metal and Head of the Deceiver.

Also, that Satan's Host track is fucking great, better than anything from BtHotD as far as I'm concerned. Album of the year perhaps? It's pretty hard to compete with Life Sentence but it could still be in the running if all the tracks are like this.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:09 am 

I fucking love Arch's singing in Fates Warning, but I don't know why, I can't stand his voice in Arch-Matheos. Arch's voice is similar in those albums, but there's definitely something off about it. The instrumental work is pretty kick ass though.

Note: thanks for the Omen recommendations, seriously enjoying their discography.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:00 am 

He's as good as he ever was, it's just that the production is clearer and you can hear him a lot better than you could on ATG. So it may take getting used to all over again.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:15 pm 

Predictably, I'm absolutely in love with this Seasons of the Wolf debut. I do prefer it to Nocturnal Revelations at the moment. It's a lot more "mystical" sounding and of course it's vastly shorter so I've already played it three times today.

October Moon is a stand-out. Electric Dimension is the best song I've heard from them so far. At this point I think I'll be ordering everything they've put out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 pm 

Well you're 50% there already, no reason not to!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:26 am 

I love Voyager too much. "The Meaning of I" just has so many fantastic songs.

I need to check out Keldian apparently because I've seen some comparisons made and they have good reviews.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

UlrichAcheronNacht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 am 

Are there any power metal bands along the lines of Galneryus' Altasia/Cause Disarray album? Particularly similar to these three songs: Cause Disarray was actually heavy, which is something I'm kinda hoping for; along with Altasia and Wings' speed and melody. I enjoyed the album a lot, but the songs are my favorites and wanted to find something close to it.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:25 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Predictably, I'm absolutely in love with this Seasons of the Wolf debut. I do prefer it to Nocturnal Revelations at the moment. It's a lot more "mystical" sounding and of course it's vastly shorter so I've already played it three times today.

October Moon is a stand-out. Electric Dimension is the best song I've heard from them so far. At this point I think I'll be ordering everything they've put out.

Did you get Lost in Hell? That one might just be my favorite. I really can't overstate how much I love their whole feel, sort of a combination of pulp and B-movie horror with a dash of sci-fi. Just really cool stuff.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:12 pm 

Anyone know of any bands with a similar feel to Sortilege? I found Metamorphose a few weeks ago and I have been loving it.

I mean obviously Maiden and Priest but Sortilege have this mystical/scifi vibe that I fucking love.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:14 pm 

Blaspheme, ADX, et cetera for French heavymetal bands with a similar sound. Also H-Bomb. Try the first Queensryche album as well as the EP. Maybe also Savage Grace, metal-archives has them as a similar artist to ADX but I don't see it, they're great though.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:17 pm 

Don't forget fucking High Power!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

WarriorFenix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:24 pm 

So anygood Power Metal been released this year? Obviously come across the obvious ones like Stratovarius, Helloween, Avantasia, Gloryhammer. But stuff perhaps like DGM-Momentum which might be easy to sneak under the radar.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Blaspheme, ADX, et cetera for French heavymetal bands with a similar sound. Also H-Bomb. Try the first Queensryche album as well as the EP. Maybe also Savage Grace, metal-archives has them as a similar artist to ADX but I don't see it, they're great though.

Savage Grace is one of my favorites at the moment already, I will check out Blaspheme and ADX though thank you. I really dont see much similarity between Savage Grace and Sortilege, will see about ADX, but seems a bit wierd, aside from the fact that they are both heavy metal not too similar. Sortilege are much more ethereal while Savage Grace are pretty in your face.

monkseatcheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

Holy shit High Power just blew my mind.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:16 pm 

The Three Musketeers of French metal for me are Sortilege, High Power, and Blaspheme. All three top-tier stuff for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodwO2WJUKw

Dig that extended intro - basically pure doom metal.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:18 pm 

monkseatcheese wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

Savage Grace is one of my favorites at the moment already, I will check out Blaspheme and ADX though thank you. I really dont see much similarity between Savage Grace and Sortilege, will see about ADX, but seems a bit wierd, aside from the fact that they are both heavy metal not too similar. Sortilege are much more ethereal while Savage Grace are pretty in your face.

Yeah you're on point about Savage Grace that's why I was puzzled hahahaha.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:39 pm 

monkseatcheese wrote:
Holy shit High Power just blew my mind.

Their whole album is good, but the song Offrande Charnelle is a benchmark in Satanic Majesty. On the same level as Come to the Sabbath, Satan's Fall...uhhhh? Other Fate jams.

@FSM:

I've hesitated to pull the trigger on Lost in Hell. My only issue is that I like the debut so much, it's actually made me rethink Nocturnal Revelations a little bit. How does Lost in Hell compare with NR, especially sound/production-wise? It seems like they ditched that arcane sound for a more sci-fi vibe. Which is cool, but the production got a lot cleaner to match and that's not my thing. Couple that with a near-hour runlength...I'm just hesitating.

The debut is fucking incredible.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:01 pm 

Lost in Hell is kind of in between them I guess? Like the debut has a really thick, evil atmosphere, and even though there are sci-fi references here and there it's mostly Satanic. Lost in Hell is still mostly horror/Satan oriented, but there are more sci-fi vibes, and overall it's got more of a trippy, psychedelic feel to it. The debut is good and all but Lost in Hell sees them going more in their own unique direction.

I know you don't like listening to tracks on Youtube but quit being a bitch and just listen to this if you're so hesitant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmdKafxs77g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceSnGUKUvU

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:17 pm 

Lost in Hell took the longest for me to get into, but I dig it a lot now. Not every song is gold, but most of them are. Personally I think SOTW get better with every album. Nocturnal Revelation and Once Upon a Blue Moon are pretty close for their best though.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 pm 

Man, Immortal Soul is just a great album. Tony Moore is my favorite Riot vocalist, so that's like +10 points right there! Not particularly riffy, but it's just really well written and has great hooks.

Last edited by Trashy_Rambo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:54 pm 

So I have it from a reliable source that this is the current band of Brian David Osborne, the singer for Enchanter (this article confirms it). Pretty different, for those who don't feel like clicking the link it's basically generic hard rock, Osborne sounds almost nothing like he did in Enchanter, although I can hear some slight similarities very occasionally. Not heartening news, but interesting to see that he's still in the music business.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 410, 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416 ... 624  Next