Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:11 am 

Maybe MA doesn't really like stand-up very much? Otherwise, why haven't we had a stand-up comedy thread yet?
So, guys, what are some of your favorites? Here are a few of mine:
Doug Stanhope

George Carlin (obviously :P)

Dave Chappelle

I have more but I don't want to write too much.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Last edited by MalignantTyrant on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 am 

STEVE HUGHES!!!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:03 am 

pablo francisco does a good job at explaining a few too many death metal bands, that not everyone will like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t53E-u0U5rI
unfortunately, that's the only clip of his that I laugh with, and only the first half.

my favourites are the very british jimmy carr http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OJKyZzMS2A
and louis ck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28H3mF-qIlg

[all clips NSFW]

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18 am 

droneriot wrote:
STEVE HUGHES!!!

THIS.

Also a big fan of Dylan Moran.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:41 am 

Bill Hicks or fuck off.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:18 am 

Gary Gulman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWToG5O2cY

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:40 pm 

Man, Steve Hughes never appealed to me. Just didn't like his style or his material.

Mike Epps, Chappelle, post '80s Carlin, Patrice O'Neal, Jim Norton - those are the kinds of comedians I like. One side is the self-deprecation / dark humor and the other is black humor that's actually delivered well. Mike Epps is the king of that, as is Katt Williams but I like him less. Bill Burr's up there on the other side, too, but trying to sit through an hour of him talking just by himself feels like forever. Russell Peters is the same way although I can identify with his stuff more (being Pakistani).

Preferably, I enjoy these guys when they actually riff with other people: Jim Norton on the Opie and Anythony show, Bill Burr on his old show Uninformed with Joe Derosa, a bunch of guys on Bob Kelly's podcast You Know What Dude? (him, Derosa, and Dan Soder was the greatest line-up that show ever had), and even someone like Jay Mohr who's stand up I don't watch I love on his podcast.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Crypt Infektor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm 

For myself personally, I don't have a favorite comedian. It seems, even with "classic" ones...I barely even crack a smile. I'm not a sad little man mad at the world, but nary a one can make me laugh. It seems to me almost every single one of them tries way too hard.

Though, if I HAD to choose I'd go with Ron White. But even then 90% of the time I reach for the clicker and watch Mr. MacFarlane's "futile attempts at trying" TV shows.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm 

Funniest would be Louis CK by a landslide. I just completely lose my shit at least 3 or 4 times if I watch any of his specials. His delivery, material, presence. It's all the pinnacle.

George Carlin is, of course, a legend. He said many wise things, but sometimes he was more interesting than funny per se. But he still gets second place easily. Because he managed to have a wide variety of material and still be really funny a lot of the time. Not so with someone like Bill Hicks, who was barely funny. More of a spoken word guy, really.

Then you have the ones like Dylan Moran, who are just fun to listen to but sometimes fall into grumpy old man mode a bit too much. And Eddie Murphy's two specials.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:10 pm 

Doug Stanhope and Bill Burr are the only ones I religiously follow.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 pm 

So nobody else likes Stanhope? Jeezus fucking Christ...
(oh wait never mind, I saw Exigence's post)
Also, some of the other guys here were favorites of mine that I hadn't mentioned, like Jimmy Carr.
Frankie Boyle is also really damn good if you're into unchained dark humour that leaves no lines uncrossed

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Necessitarian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:22 pm 

Stanhope's my favorite as well, even though he's definitely not the one who offers the most laughs per minute or something. I just love his overall personality and point of view.

Dylan Moran might be the funniest one who has a lot of replay value to me, the others who are extremely funny usually are so only when you're listening to their material for the first time, I've found. I mean guys like Mitch Hedberg, Louis CK and Jimmy Carr - pissed my pants laughing when I first heard them, but don't really have a lot of drive to endlessly re-listen their stuff like I do with Stanhope and Moran.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

STANHOPE. As already mentioned, his laughs-per-minute is as high as some of the others brought up already but he's always got an interesting take on everything he tackles, usually run through the filter of a half-drunk doomsday preacher, belligerently railing against the world. His seemingly off-the-cuff rants are some of the greatest things ever captured. He's the only person that can make a story about assisting his own mother's suicide into a hilarious if painfully uncomfortable bit.

Also Kyle Kinane:

I don't listen to nearly as much standup as I used to as podcasting's dominated my listening time the last few years.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:27 pm 

I kind of hate Doug Stanhope, Carlin, etc. for their annoying libertarianish preaching. Snoooore. Bill Hicks falls under a similar category for me.

Patrice O'Neal was really funny. Really sad to see him bite the dust. I like Louis C.K., Jim Gaffigan. Zach Galifianakis was pretty funny but I don't think he really does much stand-up anymore. Patton Oswalt and David Cross are sort of hit-or-miss with their material, but plenty of it cracks me up and they're entertaining enough to listen to even when they aren't actively hilarious.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm 

Dara O'Briain would be my favourite along with the likes of Frankie Boyle and Dylan Moran. Being Irish obviously Irish comedians appeal to me and Scottish people generally share a very similar self deprecating dark humour that the Irish do so I find a lot of Scottish comedians to be excellent. I like a good few English ones, probably my favourite is David Mitchell his rants are fantastic. American comedians never did it for me though, I just don't get it. Never liked Dave Chappelle or George Carlin and I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a Bill Hicks stand up. Reginald D Hunter is cool though, good old fashioned uncomfortable for the white man black humour :-D

EDIT: Oh and Steve Hughes is really cool too, Aussies are funny fuckers too.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:59 pm 

When I saw Doug Stanhope live earlier this year (in a very intimate setting, perfect) he told a story about helping his very sick and very old mother committ suicide via her morphine pills. And it was funny. Do you even understand the kind of genius it takes to source "funny" from that experience?

I have a lot of "favorites", most of which have been mentioned, but he's on a different level for me.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 pm 

Louis CK- I watched his latest special, "Oh My God" and was crying with laughter.

I enjoyed Ricky Gervais' show focusing on religion, can't quite remember the name...

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 pm 

I love Mitch Hedberg. He had such an oblique way of thinking about things, and the humor in his jokes really takes you by surprise. I wish he were still alive. God bless you, Mitch.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:09 pm 

Neil Hamburger

Every one of his jokes is gold.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 am 

I'm going to cheat here, because he's not a comedian by choice, but Karl Pilkington. His simplicity and lack of education show up the sophisticated and the cultured for the silly fools they are. He has no pretensions, no ill will, just an honest and direct way of looking at the world that, coupled with his inability to express himself well, is hilarious.

rotwang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 am 

Ah, gotta love Mitch. Such a unique delivery style.

A small compilation: http://www.ifc.com/fix/2013/08/12-geniu ... berg-jokes
I am doing this because this is my passion, I live for making music. So I sink all my time, energy and money into this. And who buys it? Nobody. Do I care? No. It's not going to stop me. It never should.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 am 

Tommy Tiernan!!

I LOVED his crooked man show, absolutely hilarious. The whole damn show is priceless.

My collection

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:25 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Neil Hamburger

Hot February Night is one of the best. PLEASE TELL ME YOU'VE HEARD HIS OTHer STUFF?!? Great Moments At Dipresa's pizza house, Laugh Out Lord, and Great Phone Calls are amazingl

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
Neil Hamburger

Hot February Night is one of the best. PLEASE TELL ME YOU'VE HEARD HIS OTHer STUFF?!? Great Moments At Dipresa's pizza house, Laugh Out Lord, and Great Phone Calls are amazingl

I've watched nearly every video of his on youtube and I've also listened to that country album he did.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:19 pm 

I am going to send you some cool stuff I have. One of my favorite comedians.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:50 pm 

Carlin, Steve Hughes, and Louis C.K. are all great, but they've already been mentioned in this thread... so allow me to nominate Tom Green and Lewis Black:

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:54 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Tommy Tiernan!!

I LOVED his crooked man show, absolutely hilarious. The whole damn show is priceless.

Wow I'm genuinely surprised someone outside Ireland likes him, thought he was only popular in Ireland. He's a class act.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I kind of hate Doug Stanhope, Carlin, etc. for their annoying libertarianish preaching. Snoooore. Bill Hicks falls under a similar category for me.

Thank you for saying this. I thought i was the only person that didn't like them. So pretentious and unfunny.

I haven't seen anyone mention Jim Jefferies he has some good Jesus rants and drinking stories.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:21 pm 

I freakin loved the Chappelle show. I'd have to say he was my fave.

I do remember though, a British guy who used to appear on PBS here in the states, named Dave Allen- did sketch comedy along with his stand up routine. Made fun of the pope a lot. The guy was awesome, but I haven't seen or heard from him in, forever- this was waaaay long ago. Any of you UK metal fans remember a guy named Dave Allen?

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 am 

every time these threads pop up I have to jump in and do an obligatory mention of Patton Oswalt and Jim Gaffigan (not usually a fan of comedians that don't swear, but the way he delivers jokes is spot on)

SHUTUPANDDIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 pm 

George Carlin, Joe Rogan, Bill Burr, Louis CK.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:49 pm 

Jim Bruer on Why Mothers need their sleep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z03lwK8 ... tP8hLbeCna

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 pm 

i mean .. only Bill Hicks is real.

oh wait ..
Necroticism174 wrote:
Louis CK by a landslide. I just completely lose my shit at least 3 or 4 times if I watch any of his specials. His delivery, material, presence.

Yes. He's my runner up.

And Richard Pryor.

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:36 pm 

Ron White - God this man makes me laugh. While he did manage to fit in with the Blue Collar guys, I'm glad he broke off on his own. He can even make things I don't care for humor wise funny, like cheating on his wife.

The Amazing Jonathon - He now resides in Vegas and if I ever get to go there, he's a top priority to see. He's also one of the most underrated magicians in my opinion, although most of his tricks hardly go for real magic/illusion and mostly for laughs.

Christopher Titus - This one is really iffy at the moment. From what I hear, he's gotten really negative and angry, which I think is due part to his divorce being so nasty. Still, his old jokes and the TV show he made where just so fucking hilarious.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 am 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
And Richard Pryor.

Finally...

Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, Old Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Louis C.K & Chris Rock.

Do people find Daniel Tosh funny?
I'm currently watching Tosh.O but I rarely smile at his jokes. He just says unfunny offensive shit.
Some of the video clips are hilarious though.
I've heard people say his stand up is much funnier but I'm not really arsed to check them out.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
Grave_Wyrm wrote:
And Richard Pryor.

Finally...

Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, Old Eddie Murphy, Dave Chappelle, Louis C.K & Chris Rock.

Do people find Daniel Tosh funny?
I'm currently watching Tosh.O but I rarely smile at his jokes. He just says unfunny offensive shit.
Some of the video clips are hilarious though.
I've heard people say his stand up is much funnier but I'm not really arsed to check them out.

That's his shtick for Tosh.0

His standup he jokes about how his childhood dream was to become a jeep. Very different.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:55 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Dara O'Briain would be my favourite along with the likes of Frankie Boyle and Dylan Moran. Being Irish obviously Irish comedians appeal to me and Scottish people generally share a very similar self deprecating dark humour that the Irish do so I find a lot of Scottish comedians to be excellent. I like a good few English ones, probably my favourite is David Mitchell his rants are fantastic. American comedians never did it for me though, I just don't get it. Never liked Dave Chappelle or George Carlin and I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a Bill Hicks stand up. Reginald D Hunter is cool though, good old fashioned uncomfortable for the white man black humour :-D

EDIT: Oh and Steve Hughes is really cool too, Aussies are funny fuckers too.

Pretty much this. Also big fan of Peep Show, unfortunately it looks like the series is coming to an end this year. :(

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
That's his shtick for Tosh.0

His standup he jokes about how his childhood dream was to become a jeep. Very different.

Hmmm... Interesting...
Sounds like something I might enjoy.
But he does come off like an ass though, showing videos of physically challenged people and making fun of them.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:29 pm 

I tried to get in to Louis C.K. over the weekend, but his pessimism just really puts me off.

"'Maybe something nice will happen.' Why would anything nice ever happen? What are you stupid?"

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 am 

Doug Stanhope is pretty good although his material is more on the spoken word side of comedy.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next