Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:54 am 

@SLK and themecrulah, thanks a lot guys, we all really appreciate the kind words. As for the Vomitory cover, we were initially torn between doing The Voyage, The Perdition, Obituary's Cause Of Death, or even a death metal version of Powerslave. We weren't so big on Voyage at first cuz it was the most draggy of the choices, but we ruled out Obituary and Maiden because we didn't feel so confident in nailing the killer James Murphy solo, and my vocalist detests Maiden hehe. After we changed some riffs and drumming and arrangements, I thought it was fine. The biggest change is in the triplet-double kick interplay in place of the original's more straightforward tremolo-thrash beat thing, though that was a fucking bitch to play as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 am 

I love feedback! I can't help it! And thanks I can def understand why you can see this one is an upgrade cause actually if you noticed the numbering where these are 141-157 the last release was 56-75 it originally was written between the split Draug and the album Ashes. There was some trouble where I had to actually re-record them twice, both with computer crashes that ate the tracks. so on this 3rd time I re-recorded them again and finally got them released. That's mainly why they aren't on par I guess you can say.

hahaha I can totally see what you mean about it almost being a mini- Mountain of Beard track. Hell the Mountain of Beard material usually comes out from me writing KP stuff and something just takes hold that needs a ton of sludgy walking riffs and no grind or d-beat with it.

well good job somefella!

damn infinite that sucks. I know how that is having to re-record bullshit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:54 am 

My current bassist's band once went to this recording studio, and after the drummer was well into half of the song, the producer yells "STOP! Sorry guys, I forgot to hit 'record' hehehe"

EDIT: Another friend worked with this same guy once and one time he passed him a CD of .wav files, only for the producer to tell him "I can't open .wav files, I don't have the software." My friend ended up staying back and telling him what program to use, and how to Google a site to download it from. And this is an AUDIO ENGINEER.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:04 am 

So I don't usually listen to grindcore (I'm a Symphonies of Sickness guy) but as I bit into my morning sausage egg and cheese sandwich that I make very early in the day, I played this Kamikaze Pilots stuff. It's very cool, super crusty and has interesting blasting parts that fit well. I like it!

About recording goofs, I do the "forget to hit record button" thing to myself all the time. I've played through a whole song before that was a good take, then I discover I didn't hit the damn record button and I have to do it again. D'oh!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 am 

Try writing some grindcore sometime, THEMICRULAH. It's a lot of fun. Just writing some riffs as heavy as possible, and aim to finish the song in like 40 seconds. Writing grindcore can be a great songwriting exercise.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:04 pm 

Awesome, MICRULAH i actually threw in a KP demo with the Ishimura cd for kicks and I guess I did the right thing since you are already digging my other material from it. It's all about feel totally and keeping it interesting for me to play and listen to. Oh and it's all done single foot as well. No double bass work on it at all. or ever.

I've done my fair share of recording fuck ups never really the oops I forgot to hit record but oops I forgot to hook up the snare mic to record or oops I forgot to put the mic on the bass cab from the guitar cab or viceversa. really pisses me off if I did a great run of it.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:14 pm 

Yeah, one time I recorded 17 minutes of improv drums only to find out after that it was recorded in a really low quality wav format, because the last time I used that program was to screw around with some low quality wavs from an old computer game. Stupid mistake...

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

That's sick SLK. I appreciate you putting bonuses in the packages, I think that's really cool :D I haven't heard anything I dislike from you so far, I might make another order today too. Whenever I have leftover money from grocery shopping I try to order 1 or 2 CDs from several distros I like, Hells Headbangers being another one of my favs.

Really cool about the single kick. Makes me think of this Mike IX Williams vid:

Mike IX Williams Street Jam

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:17 pm 

Now that would really suck Clogged, esp if it was some cool shit you were happy that you did. never to be captured that same way again!

The worst thing like that was when I was recording one of these 20min long Yzordderrex songs and just fucking something up around the 13min mark... time to restart from the begining cause I don't believe in copy and pasting takes. If you don't know it well enough to play it all the way through then don't record it till you can.

and you are welcome micr, sometimes I do sometimes I don't it all kinda depends what I have on hand and if I'm a little late in sending out shit. I'm happy people like the stuff.

That jam is pretty awesome. I'd buy an ep of shit like that. haha.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:17 am 

Yeah I was happy with it, but just ended up doing it over after some disappointment. It's probably worse having to re-do one of your 20min composed songs, since with improv stuff you can just say "that mistake was intentional" haha.

Using only single-foot drumming for one of your bands is neat. I'll add that to my to-listen list (will get a chance to listen to stuff next week on my work comp).

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 am 

So I have this dirty old school black metal riff that both makes you want to dance and uses all six strings on the guitar. D:

It's cool I think. I have some super evil melodic riffs that are what I feel is basically just doom sections played in a black metal style. I had no idea that I had such a pure black metal song in me, it's weird. I'd never try to write something like that. It's really a mix between first and second waves, which is good, and it's not some stupid Darkthrone rip-off bullshit. I can't stand that kind of thing. If I ever wrote something that sounded like "Transilvanian Hunger" I'd cut my dick off and walk into the desert.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:29 am 

Still working on this last song for the Unlife album, I'm just riffed out, hahaha. Half-way done with it anyways, then it's onto creating a story for the album.

In the meantime though, I started going through some shit I made last year that's just been gathering dust. If I remember correctly, I finished everything in 1-2 days, and was just doing it for fun, nothing really serious. Don't really know what to call it, though, other than some weird Black/Doom mix with some reaaallly cheesy lyrics.. Not officially going to release it yet, that's why the release date and price are all fucked on this page, but I would like to get some feedback on it if anyone cares to give a listen: http://valak.bandcamp.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm 

Not bad really but that last min and a half could be cut from that 9min long song and it would sound much better and not merandering aimless shit. It had it's logical conclusion and then it just went on for no reason.

oh yest I bought my cord, recorded drums for one of infinite's songs, did a KP song, and wrote the last Vacuus song for an album.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:09 pm 

So I finally got off my behind and made a simple cabinet for that vintage 15 inch AlNiCo speaker I bought a while back, and stacked my 2X12 speaker and my Ampeg SS140 on top, so now I have a (almost) full stack, woooo. And interestingly enough, it does sound good in person but it sounds even better miced. And the mic I'm using is an old Bogen mic from the 70s I got off eBay for $10. I threw together a doom riff to try out the sound and I'm really happy with it. I'll have to turn this into an entire song.

Both clean and distorted guitars are the ampeg, and yes I know I have a bit of fret buzz. Gimme a break, the guitar used is also 29 years old. No EQ on the guitars other than a standard high pass at 115Hz (That 15" has a lot of low end). Mic is placed about midway from the edge of the cone and the center, angled like 2 degrees pointing toward the center. Drums are Drumcore 3 free version, bass is direct input with Amplitube 3. The bass is playing quietly during the clean part, all that bass isn't from the guitar.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... 20test.mp3

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:24 pm 

And now I'm going to try to finish that song, then eat some ribs and play some GTA 5

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am 

Just learnt a great trick from a jazz guy regarding tweaking your amp EQ. This is especially important when you run a stompbox distortion through a clean channel.

Tweak the amp's clean tone first, don't just leave everything at 12 o clock. Set everything to zero, and increase the bass til you can just feel it start to thump. Do the same for the mids and treble. Don't pay any attention to the numbers you're dialing in, just listen and decide how much is enough. Only after do you get a full-bodied clean tone via this method do you switch on your stompbox and start dialing that in the exact same fashion. It may be a bit troublesome, but this will get you virtually identical tone no matter whose backline/amps you use when rehearsing or playing live.

I went home and was a little skeptical, took my HT Blackfire out of the box anyway. Did the exact same thing, and holy fucking shit that was some kickass metal riffing and soloing tone. I tried running it through a Hi-Fi set using the emulated output and got the same damn results, except of course a little less organic.

I used to wonder why the damn pedal would sound like crap through some amps and absolutely scream through others. Now I know, and I hope you do too! :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:58 pm 

I don't mean to sound like a dick... but honestly that's new knowledge that you didn't even know to begin with? Holy shit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:25 pm 

I normally just set all the cleans to noon and then adjust my pedal settings, I think I was told that a few years back or I read it somewhere. So I basically just learned not to do that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:29 pm 

Yea, cause I honestly had never heard to do it the way you used to. Because I didn't always have good amps and stuff and had spent a ton on stompboxes. But I always adjusted my amp first and then my pedal after.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm 

I think I read or heard something along the lines of 'set everything to 12 so you won't discolour your stompbox distortion tone'. But I noticed myself sounding like crap when I stuck to that rule all the time, so I would tweak slightly here and there while trying to keep them all sorta at 12. Today a friend who plays jazz and stuff told me to not give a fuck where each knob ended up, just make your amp clean fat and smooth, and your pedal will sound cool, no matter what shitty fucking amp it is.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:37 pm 

Yea your jazz friend's advice is better and that's what I had always done. even with the amps i just run the stock distortion on. I adjust it till it sounds good, not to any particular bullshit reasoning that someone wrote somewhere. Not poo-pooing on you, I was just honestly shocked to read that from you. I would've understood it from someone like that idiot KFD.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:14 pm 

Haha it's one of those bad habits that die hard I guess. On hindsight though it did teach me to abuse the strings like a bitch to wring a good sound out of it, though once that's done I suppose you can never learn enough about gear and such.

EDIT: And dude! We don't need more bands, we need more support!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

hahahaha yes because none of us buy anyone's music cause we are too busy spending selfishly on ourselves?!!!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:12 pm 

I never buy music myself, I just find bands' rehearsal spaces and get a super hearing device and put it up against the outer wall. Then I go home and record everything they played and pass it off as my own.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:27 pm 

Got a lot of work done on the les paul I'm building, including carving the top, which was a huge tedious pain in the ass. Now I need to decide what color to stain it. Immediately I think red, but I already have 3 red guitars. I dunno. Either way, the sides and back will be clear, so only the top will be stained. Hmmmm.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm 

I decided on a nice deep transparent blue. I've never owned a blue guitar before. So this'll be the first! Just gotta order a bit of hardware and wait for the stain to get in the mail and I'll be able to put it all together. I can't wait.

Since this one is turning out nicely, I may make a carved top flying V. That should be interesting.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:58 pm 

God yesterday I finished recording the instruments for a black metal song with wicked evil sounding twin guitar melodic riffs in parts of it and I just worked myself up into a sweat and made my arms hurt from writing blinding fast thrash riffs. Not surprised about that though, I've been listening to things like Inferno (Nor), Aura Noir, Gehennah, Speedwolf, and the like all day.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:09 pm 

Fast riffs are good riffs.

I just got a random idea. Since I love wine so much, why don't I stain the top of this guitar with wine? Could possibly be awesome, I'll have to test it on a scrap piece of maple.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:25 pm 

Maybe try boiling the wine first to get it thicker and adding a little bit of whiskey for a more metal tone.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 pm 

I have 2 blue guitars.

and yea fast riffs are good riffs...look forward to hearing that.

been kinda thinking of what I want to do for the black metal song or songs or whatever. kinda got idea and I know how I'll approach the vocals. Just not sure basically how clean, or layered I'm going to do the guitars. and as far as sound I know I'll be doing something unorthodox. Can't really seem to bring myself to do a total traditional black metal song. the closest ones I've done to that had been shortened and I played in my grind band.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:13 am 

Speaking of blue, I would love to own the Marty Friedman signature model one day. Beautiful, and it seems like it sounds awesome. And it has a fixed bridge!!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:00 pm 

I tried some wine on a spare piece of maple and it did basically nothing except wet the wood, haha. So deep blue, the guitar will be. After staring at it for a bit, I'm concerned that the bridge pickup cutout may be a tad bit too far toward the neck. Just a bit, like 1/4", but that can affect the sound. I"ll have to get a brighter sounding pickup, or just extend the route back toward the bridge and cover it up with a pickguard. Oh, maybe a pickguard made of bloodwood or ebony or something neat.

Gonna try to finish some black metal today. Also, a friend of mine is releasing a 24 hour black metal compilation, so I'm going to send him a few songs for that.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:25 pm 

So I decided to upload the instrumental version of one of the songs from my upcoming Treeweaver album, for the hell of it. It's the one with the melodic riffs I've been going on about. I think they smack ya in the face and give off a nice evil horror movie vibe, but I'll let you guys be the judge. It's in the link in my signature.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 am 

Over 2 months later and the vocals on the EP have not been done yet. God... Dammit...

If it's not done soon then its like, fuck everything that is sacred and holy! But a potential show has reared its head and it would be amazing to open it. Finger fucking crossed.

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:17 am 

Hi Guys, Dimaension X here,

Haven't been very active at all for a very long time (since last summer, when I left Deadside Manor), but I hope to start working on some new music soon. I just bought myself a few new toys (some Joyo Pedals), re-strung my Schecter with only 5 strings to D A D A D, and will be sitting down at the computer soon.

Any one have any suggestions to get the creative juices flowing? Any styles they've been listening to lately?

I also wanted to send a shout-out to the administrators of The Encyclopaedia Metallum, for reposting not only my Dimaension X page, but a listing of all my other projects, too. So now I feel more obligated to get back in the groove and start working on some new music. Thanks.

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm 

Trying to think of a good name for my and SLK's deathgrind project and coming up blank. I had a huge list of stuff typed down, but my computer crashed and I didn't save it, so it's gone. Fuck.

I think I'm going to try to write a bit of music, then it's GTA 5 time.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:30 pm 

Name it Trevor Phillips Inc. !

Trying to fix my stubborn ass Ibanez neck. Stupid thing keeps bowing the next day despite repeated attempts to tighten the fucking truss rod.

Bassman35
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:33 am 

On bass- Symphony X's End Of Innocence, Testament's A Day In The Death, Trivium's Kirisute Gomen, Iron Maiden's Wrathchild, Iced Earth's Pure Evil. Great bass parts from diverse masters.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:58 am 

The folk metal band just got offered a gig with Martin Walkyier next year. That's getting done.

Going to try and finish off this metalpunk EP I've had sitting around for a couple of months. One cover and vocals to record then I'll just get it out.

Also I think I'll get writing some more doom, and try and put out another EP - I met someone the other day that had actually heard my solo project after being told about it by someone off here, and thought it was good, so it seems I almost have a fanbase...

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:42 pm 

I'm bored and full of coffee, which I usually don't drink, so now I'm jittery with caffeine and feel the need to write something. So I just wrote 3 nu-metal songs. I guess that's what they'd be. Very verse/chorus/verse and simple yet catchy. I figured hell, why not? I might even throw a breakdown in one of them and write some deathcore, just for shits and giggles. Or giggleshits, as I like to say.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 185  Next