Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

Sweet, it's been so long since Bonesaw released anything.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:08 pm 

To answer the question in the thread title: I'm up to no good. :)

(Making steady progress. :))

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:13 pm 

I just wrote a good bit of black metal, so I'm happy. Guess I'll lay down the bass tracks now. I have to work a 24 hour shift tomorrow, so that day's gone, and Sunday I'll be sleeping. At least I have Monday off, and then I'm probably going to work on my les paul I'm building. I have the neck temporarily fit into the body, I just have to adjust it a tad so it's at the right angle, and then I think I'll start the long process of carving the body.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 pm 

Hey nexus, just wanted to let you know I got your email. You shouldn't rule out being capable of being good at a genre too hastily, maybe if you give it a shot every other month or so when you feel inspired, after some time you'll discover you might have a hidden talent for it somewhere. Give it time. I can tell you how I was a BM musician for many, many years, and at one point in summer 2009 I stopped being into black metal entirely, and started getting heavily into death metal, and adjusted my songwriting accordingly, and after two years I thought I would NEVER be able to write a good death metal song. I kept at it, and another two years later it is finally starting to come together. :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 pm 

Yeah I just feel like I'm playing random notes when I do drone. I guess it's like you said, it's just going to take a while to produce something I'm happy with.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 pm 

Wrote something kinda neat with some gregorian-style chants. Never done that before. May end up being a drone/doom song, who knows.

So tomorrow I'm going to bring a notepad with me and try to just write music straight from my head to paper all day long. I won't be able to have a guitar with me, but at least I can do that. Maybe at 4am when I'm all nutty with sleepiness something good will come out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

or you'll doodle a bunch of shit and pass out.

like I meantioned in another thread I plan on doing your death grind songs tmwr morning.

after that I plan on writing and recording a 16-22min long song a friend of mine is going to do vocals for and release on tape. he was very specific in the timing for it and he gave me a description of what he would like to hear structure and very very roughly what he wants to hear. basically it'll be something like Dragged into Sunlight and The Young and In the Way.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:57 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
HPGD are also releasing the new Bonesaw album \m/

Yup! Haven't heard that band in ages, going to go listen to it now :headbang:

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:11 am 

I would really like to write something 16+ minutes long, of course without being boring. I want to write something epic and super long and awesome that goes through phases and movements.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:18 am 

@infinitenexus I feel the same way and I've attempted it before, the first song I wrote and recorded was 8 minutes long. That's the longest I've ever made a song, and I'm not gonna try to top it any time soon :P writing a really long song is very difficult and takes a lot of work and dedication! I don't even think I'm skilled enough yet to truly attempt it.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 am 

It just takes a bit of pacing and knowledge of how to create a piece like that without it being disjointed and like you said boring. The longest song I've written thus far is 25mins. And I've written a nice bit around 20min, and 10min songs to me are like the average 3min songs to other people.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:28 am 

IMO that long song idea rarely works, though it could. Usually people will listen once to see what it's about, but feel compelled to skip it when scrolling through an iPod. Songs that are cool with me are Maiden's Rime and Iced Earth's Dante's Inferno.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:37 am 

ehhh I can only recall one that didn't work like that which was a Norma Jean song where they tried to be epic by playing 3 different riffs excessively long and then used them again in the following song to a much greater effect.

I really have to disagree with your statement that it rarely works. Aside from showing from my own works the sales of those albums with those long songs, but the truely large amount of songs that are over 10mins long with an excessive of 15 at the longest 'norm'

You just don't have the patience. or you listen to the wrong stuff that fails in that aspect. some song simply would sound shitty if they were cut down to 4 min or 5 min ditties. If you don't allow for a riff and song to breath no matter what expanse of time then you are missing the point of writing a good song.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:47 am 

For me personally, whenever I try to write a really long song I just always have Dopesmoker in mind and how I'll never make something as good as that :P

Letting riffs breath and figuring out the right amount of repetitions along with the perfect structure and flow is definitely a key part in writing a long song. I'd say keeping things interesting too, but it depends on what kind of music it is and also your goal for the song. If it's drone/doom, I'd say variation doesn't matter, because the goal of course (at least for me and my understanding) is to induce a sort of trance-like state, which is something I feel bands like Wolves in the Throne Room (Weakling too) do perfectly with their long songs, and of course Sleep with Dopesmoker. Funny how the same thing can happen with two entirely different styles of music!

If you're going for some sort of thrash/death/trad metal epic (which is what I did with my eight minute song), then variation and the right amount of repetitions are the most important. I'd also venture to say that you shouldn't really go past the ten minute mark with something like that. And by God, keep it interesting.

Black/death/doom though is another story, I just heard this Finnish band Hail's album Inheritance of Evil yesterday with very long songs. It was midpaced and brilliant, with correct riff variation and brilliant song structure. It had some 20 minute songs which were awesome, I loved it.

Funeral doom is well, of course... funeral doom. I don't know what else to say about that :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:53 am 

Yea and the best thing to remember when writing a long song is not to actually make that your goal. Just write hoping for some epic riffs to come about.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:32 am 

I am finally sitting down and starting to write some industrial black metal riffs. Aiming for that robotic accuracy while playing is pretty hard right now given how long it has been since I sat down and really pushed myself musically. The metronome is my best friend right now, our interaction is something like this:

Metronome: Ting . . Ting . . Click . . Ting
Me: Hahahaha good one, tell me that story about the clicking again. This time say it faster.
Metronome: TingTingClickTing

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:36 am 

Well most "entertainment" websites at work are blocked but at least this one isn't. I'm going to try to write a really long song with just my brain, a pen, and a notepad. That'll be my goal for the day. No clue what genre it'll be. Maybe post-blackened melodic death/thrashcore. With doom influences. And synths.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:02 am 

Got quite a lot happening just now.

The blackthrash band is acquiring more gigs (got one in a couple of weeks with Uncoffined and Bonesaw, one being rescheduled to early next year with Holocaust and Savage, and one in April with Lobotomized and Bonesaw), and we're over half way to being done writing the album. We're going to record it in the first half of next year, and get it out as soon as possible.

The black metal band is doing well also, we've got a gig with Shining from Sweden in December, which should be fun. We're also working on writing an album, and it's turning into very experimental Deathspell Omega-type stuff at times. So that's good fun.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:37 pm 

cool deal, I'll be happy to check out the black metal material once you are done with it.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 pm 

Today I took the advice of the people who replied to my "Dreaming of the Dancing Stars" thread, mainly giving me production advice on how to get everything to sound better, and using two separately recorded guitar tracks instead of one or one copied and pasted one (yuck!!! to this way in hindsight. didn't know what I was doing). I made the drums less technical as well.

I recorded some of the new material I have ready today and used the techniques you all told me to apply to my music to give it more impact. It's just instrumental, as I just wanted to see how it would sound with separately recorded tracks. Listening to it on a pair of decent speakers, wow, it sounds pretty cool. Here's the link: https://treeweaver.bandcamp.com

It's pretty much pure death/black metal.

I have some new album art on there too... this is really what I consider to be a preview for the full-length album, which will include the "Dreaming of the Dancing Stars" tracks recorded the proper way. I redesigned the page a bit too and re-made the logo, using minimal photoshop edits. I think it looks better myself, it's still the same hand-drawn logo I made, just colored in with some glowy things on it.

Cheers guys!!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:25 pm 

Sounds so much better with the duel guitar tracks and yea the drumming fits much better now. I didn't mind how the page was before. but it's all good.

my day kinda went to shit once I got to the shed, started messing with the guitar I wanted to record this long track with and I broke a string which I couldn't change cause I took home all my stuff to change tremlo strings to work on a new guitar I had gotten.

So I decided to work on infinite's drums well after getting down a track I noticed something odd with the floor tom track. well my cord for that mic went bad or something so I have to buy a new one. since I was there so early it would've been 3 hours till I was able to go to the store. So i just went home and painted instead and argued with some cokehead idiot in the metal forum. that somehow I get a warning for. Oh well.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:10 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
cool deal, I'll be happy to check out the black metal material once you are done with it.

We've got a rehearsal tape here from like our third or fourth practice, but since then we've moved away from the more standard black metal sound and extended all the noisy bits.

Started collecting ideas for bands to play an all-dayer I'm going to be putting on in April. Might try and get Anaal Nathrakh.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 pm 

pretty neat I know I'll be more interested in the updated version of these cause yea these are more standard.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:05 am 

Damn that sounds like a pain in the ass SLK. Breaking strings sucks especially when you don't have the time/cash to go get more. I have my acoustic guitar as backup so I can still write/practice when my electric strings decide to be a dick and break on me.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:10 am 

I think there's some curse involving drumming for my stuff, hahaha.

So I didn't write all the music I was hoping to tonight/this morning. Instead I just kinda stared like a zombie at the computer and read about castles and listened to GTA 5 talk radio on youtube. I did scribble a few ideas down for a song though, probably drone-ish, though with some (minimal) drums in it, so maybe not pure drone. Maybe I'll make a thrash-drone hybrid. Drone... at 188bpm.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:33 am 

I always buy like 5 packs a go everytime I'm at a music store, never run out. I use Ernie Ball Coated Titanium Slinkys, those things last for as long as 3 months or more before needing a change. It could be more than that but I have slightly sweaty palms and whack the strings a lil harder than average. I wipe them down everytime I'm done though.

EDIT: Oh and I don't think I've had them break on me even once. But it's not an issue during recording, I always use fresh strings no matter what.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:03 am 

I've always been a D'Addario string guy myself. I've been wanting to try some Elixirs for a while though. I bought some DR strings not too long ago and really was unhappy with their sizing (it was a heavy set for a downtuned guitar. the gauges seem almost randomly chosen) and their sound is kinda eh as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:43 am 

Yeah DR is bad. Very unreliable too. Elixirs are coated too right? I highly recommend those. They cost about 2-3 times as much as normal strings but last up to 5 times as long.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:24 am 

It wasn't so much that I couldn't afford to replace the strings cause I have extra strings.. I didn't have my little locking key to undo the locking nuts and all that shit. I brought home some more guitars to fix up and work on.

and really inifinity there is. I like doing some stuff like this all in one sitting. But I'll probably just do it one song at a time through out the week so it'll get done just incase of some shit like that again.

I'm currently mixing down this Kamikaze Pilots ep and I'll probably upload it tonight or mid day just depending how much more mixing I need to do after this first run through.

this Oshiego is kicking my ass somefella!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:28 am 

Yeah, The Great Architect of nothing slaughtered me somefella. I never really like covers, but you guys did a GREAT Vomitory cover on the album. It showed how you take your influences and put your OWN spin on it, very fuckin' cool I do say.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:02 pm 

I like how your wife does the vocals for vomitwolves. That's really awesome that you two do that together.

Finally blew my old speaker! It was only a matter of time, I've been running a 60 watt tube amp with the volume on 5 through a 60 year old speaker with a magnet that's barely 2 inches in diameter. Probably has a power rating of 10 watts or so. So now I'll put the vintage 30 back in there and see if I can finally break it in. Got an interesting drone/doom idea last night and I want to try to get it down.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:24 pm 

Well you gave that speaker hell!

And thanks! I was very thrilled we were finally able to go on and do it. It was something that has been a couple of years in the making. I knew she could do it cause she would mimmick those vocals occasionally and then she kinda went back and forth about wanting to and then not wanting to. and we went through a couple of sessions of me writing and bringing her some material to see if she approved. Hell one of those sessions birthed Mykridia with what I did. Once I finally found the right music and then the right tone I wrote and she narrowed down the songs that were the best sounding and she arranged and did all her vocals here at the house. Once she started to do it and heard her playback on the first song she was more excited to finish the rest and get it out. She wasn't sure at first if she wanted to do more but after that she def wanted to do more but wanted it to be more spaced out in release than how I do some of my stuff which I'll do an ep and another right after or whatever.

I wrote most of the full length back in sept and a bit in the end of August and she approved what I did and didn't want it longer. And this month is busy with tons of shit and vacation so next month shall be the time, I have to start on the artwork as well I know what I want to do I just have to sit down and draw it. I might start penciling it up today.

just finished the last KP song in mixing. now to see what I have to adjust.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:28 pm 

That's really awesome. I'd love to have an awesome metal wife and make some music with her one day.

Just went to home depot and bought a few boards. Tomorrow I'll be making a 1X15 cabinet for that 60 year old AlNiCo 15 inch speaker I picked up a while ago. I'm looking forward to seeing how it sounds compared to an old 12 (or a pair). Plus I can play bass through it, and that'll be fun.

Gonna make some fishsticks for dinner (from Costco, wild-caught fish, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients, it's like healthy junk food!) and then sit down with a glass of wine and write some black metal for the challenge. I've got some good material going so far, and I'd like to see if I can do another song.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:38 pm 

I just wrote a killer lead and killer riff. I'd describe the sound as a mix between Beherit and Inquisition. Super primitive, but complex and brutal with a super evil vibe.

My woman likes metal, but she has worked in NYC doing booking and footwork for Brooklyn Vegan, so she witnessed first hand some of the complete and utter DOUCHEBAGS of the modern scene such as Krallice and that stupid Hunter Hendrix guy. As a result she is burnt out and wants to do more Bjork type of stuff by herself. She has, however, done vocals for me in the past, and we jam together sometimes. I'm fine with making my own metal though, I don't want us to have a relationship argument because she doesn't like a riff where I want it in the song :)

What's really cool though is that when we're visiting her father I sometimes do Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath covers with him and his friends, which is a HELL of a lot of fun. I could jam the Snowblind, Into the Void, and War Pigs riffs all day. :P

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:42 pm 

You should start an occult rock band with her, that's trendy!!!!

I got a sketch for the Halberd album, it will be awesome! I think I'll be able to show you guys the final version in a week or so.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

HA! Funny thing is I recorded an acoustic track with her a while ago when we were listening to a lot of Jex Thoth, so you're not too far from the mark there :P

Looking forward to hearing your music, Meta.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:06 pm 

Working on a black metal track that I'm pretty sure is going to be instrumental. Gonna try to get a bit more out of it and wrap it up.

So I have a 1991 les paul that I picked up off eBay for a great price that I use for my black metal stuff, and I have to say, while a les paul isn't exactly the typical black metal guitar, I still really like it. More specifically, I have a 1991 les paul studio lite. So it weighs a tiny bit less than a regular paul, and has a nice thin neck. This guitar has basically made me like pauls, which I previously disliked. I'm still scouring the internet for a good 1970s matsumoko japanese "lawsuit" les paul copy, just haven't found the right one yet. And tomorrow I'm going to get some work done on the les paul I'm making - although I think it's more of a les paul jr, with only one pickup and a combination bridge/tailpiece. It should be good for low tunings, with a 25.5" scale and thick maple top to brighten up the tone and add clarity. I just have to figure out which pickup I'm going to use. Probably a dragonfire screamer, it sounds great and it's cheap.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 pm 

Also decided that once my divorce is done I'm really going to have to start searching for an amp for my next OSR album. I have 3 amps currently, and none of them are right for the sound I want. I'm hoping to find a 5150 or a 6505 for a reasonable price.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 pm 

haha I didn't even seek out to get a metalwife, it just worked out perfectly. and The oddest part was with our cd collections even though we liked a ton of the same bands it was like we had the cds the other was missing. So that worked out perfectly. So this is what I spent so much time on:

https://kamikazepilot.bandcamp.com/album/grinder

8minutes... hours of mixing for 8 minutes. but fuck it's intense.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:58 pm 

That's awesome man. It's something we could all wish for.

Haha I always know the music's yours because it begins with feedback. Sounds like a good release from KP. I like this one more than the last release, so that's good. There's something about 30 second long songs that are strangely appealing, both to write and to listen to. Splitting the Ribs is a great song. The last beating heart has that classic "you" sound to it. Reminds me of a 42 second long mountain of beard song at one point. Awesomeness.

Wrote a bit of black metal on a song I started a while ago. Drank lots of wine and enjoyed listening to my music. The downside of me blowing my speaker earlier and replacing it with the vintage 30 is now everything sounds different, with the same amp. The vintage 30 has a very prominent midrange. So I may have to re-record all of my black metal stuff, so the sound is all the same. Annoying.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 ... 185  Next