Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 pm 

I was totally expecting to dislike Belphegor's Lucifer Incestus after listening to the similarly themed Bondage Goat Zombie and finding it incredibly mediocre.

I now think that Lucifer Incestus is the best album they've ever made.

Spoiler: show

:np:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:22 am 

I could never get into Bestial Warlust even though I enjoy the black/death and blackened thrash scenes quite a bit.

I'd also say Forbidden. Iconic and much lauded late-80s thrash band, primarily just for Forbidden Evil, that I simply can't get into. I love thrash but I found this band to be quite ordinary and the music never really won me over.

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:04 am 

I've heard how awesome everyone thinks Ghost is but I gave them a listen and found them incredibly boring.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:46 am 

I don't really consider Ghost metal. More like 60s rock to my ears with satanic overtones.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 am 

Despite being a huge Power Metal fan I can't not get into Manowar and Edguy.

I personally think Manowar is alittle over rated and everytime I tried listening to Manowar I felt that the music was really boring. As for Edguy I just never really gave them a chance or listen to the right songs, so they still have a chance for me liking in the future.

A band I am surprise I like is trivium. I am not normally into core stuff but I personally find shogun to be a pretty cool album.

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:10 am 

Emperor never did much for me - the synths sound cheesy, the early tracks just plod along (though I'll give them that I Am the Black Wizards riff), the latter era stuff too fiddly-twiddly for its own good. I know I should love them, I know the fan-boys will bay for my blood, but I'm calling it, they have no clothes.

MorrisDayAndTheTime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:33 am 

Atropus wrote:
Bands I shouldn't like but do....... probably the majority of metalheads would kick my ass for listening to new wave/new romantic music from the 80s. I honestly enjoy David Bowie, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Visage, Roxy Music and similar stuff.

I also like quite a few goth/darkwave bands like Bauhaus, early Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Clan of Xymox, Diary of Dreams, Sopor Aeternus, Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie & the Banshees, early Lacrimosa (only first album, actually), etc.

I'm pretty sure Post-Punk, Goth, Darkwave type stuff is pretty popular with the metal crowd

I love proggy extreme stuff like Edge of Sanity, Ne Obliviscaris, and Cormorant but I could never get into Opeth and I don't really know why

I also really like Mastodon's imagry and lyrical themes but their music just never did it for me

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:46 am 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Emperor never did much for me - the synths sound cheesy, the early tracks just plod along (though I'll give them that I Am the Black Wizards riff), the latter era stuff too fiddly-twiddly for its own good. I know I should love them, I know the fan-boys will bay for my blood, but I'm calling it, they have no clothes.

When they were announced as next year's headliner at Bloodstock, everyone went apeshit. I thought I'd check them out and I was pretty underwhelmed. I think I kinda expected all that murderous lunacy of the early 90's to somehow inform their music. I guess I expected it to take me out into the woods and stab me to death or something. It did not.

Meanwhile, someone suggested I check out Antestor. They actually sound inspired and ferocious.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 am 

Atropus wrote:
Also, as much as I like gothic/doom metal, Paradise Lost KILLS it with the yarling!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:

They sound like what would happen if My Dying Bride provided instrumental backing music to Eddie Vedder and James Hetfield having a pizza-eating contest.

What's wrong with yarling? Nick Holmes does it completely in his own way. No way he's an Eddie Vedder derivative like that Creed asshole. His vocals fit the music perfectly. They're quite different from My Dying Bride. They utilize wah-wah oriented classic hard rock/metal structures in some songs as well. Something that MDB has never done. Anyway, to each his own I guess.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

~Guest 18743
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am 

I think Obituary are a bit crap.
And I actually quite like Six Feet Under.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 am 

KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
.... bracing myself for an onslaught of abuse...

Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

Good news, you have not heard Iron Maiden. Because 'dragon wanking opera' is not even remotely applicable to their music. You can let out a sigh of relief, purchase Piece of Mind and Powerslave, and redeem your mistake.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:07 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
.... bracing myself for an onslaught of abuse...

Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

Good news, you have not heard Iron Maiden. Because 'dragon wanking opera' is not even remotely applicable to their music. You can let out a sigh of relief, purchase Piece of Mind and Powerslave, and redeem your mistake.

No. I've heard them. They may not be wanking dragons, but I don't get them at all. I know they're talented musicians - I would never say theyare bad - I just don't like what they do.

~Guest 69485
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:09 am 

I'm a big fan of the death/doom evolution from Paradise Lost, Katatonia and Anathema, everything from the earliest to the latest releases with the latter two, but I cannot get into one of the main pioneers in that bunch, My Dying Bride. Anytime I give them a listen I always come away with the same unmoved, uninterested feeling.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:13 am 

OK.I just went and looked at a bunch of Iron Maiden lyrics. No dragons. In fact, they were pretty good. I bet I'd enjoy them set to different music.

Conversely, the lyrics on Kill 'Em All make me snigger every time. They were, after all, written by a teenage boy. But that is one of my favourite albums, ever.

The beauty of death metal and grindcore is that I can't even tell what they're saying. Could be dragons raping unicorns for all I know.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 am 

Metantoine wrote:
heron wrote:
I enjoy Opeth's first two albums more than anything else in their discography, despite those albums often being considered some one their weakest by Opeth fans. I think it's the black metal-esque atmosphere that turns me on.

Since when? It's widely considered to be some of their best material, well they're my 2 favs alongside MAYH and Still Life and I'm a pretty huge fan. Apparently Mikael isn't a fan of Orchid and Morningrise but the TRVE Opeth fans are!

Despite liking Black Witchery, I can't get into Revenge at all, I think they're pretty awful. Kind of weird. And I don't know why I'm not the biggest Bathory fan, perhaps Quorthon's singing?

Not that surprising, actually; despite being lumped together in the bestal black/death / war metal / nuclear goat metal of death / etc. subgenre, Black Witchery and Revenge don't share that many similarities. Come to think of it, Revenge didn't do much for me either when I first started listening to them. It's still a very mood-specific band for me.

And yeah, what's this heresy about Opeth's first two albums being considered subpar? Anyone who doesn't love the first four full lengths should just surrender the Opeth fan tag right away!

Wilytank wrote:
I was totally expecting to dislike Belphegor's Lucifer Incestus after listening to the similarly themed Bondage Goat Zombie and finding it incredibly mediocre.

I now think that Lucifer Incestus is the best album they've ever made.

All their material up to and including Goatreich - Fleshcult is superior to whatever followed so far to varying degrees.

Maulgraun wrote:
I've heard how awesome everyone thinks Ghost is but I gave them a listen and found them incredibly boring.

That's because they are ;)

Atropus wrote:
Bands I shouldn't like but do....... probably the majority of metalheads would kick my ass for listening to new wave/new romantic music from the 80s. I honestly enjoy David Bowie, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Visage, Roxy Music and similar stuff.

I like a handful of glam/hair metal bands like T Rex, New York Dolls, early Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Wasp, EZO, Kiss, etc.

I also like quite a few goth/darkwave bands like Bauhaus, early Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Clan of Xymox, Diary of Dreams, Sopor Aeternus, Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie & the Banshees, early Lacrimosa (only first album, actually), etc.

Whoa, whoa... Who said those are bands you shouldn't like? Pretty much every name you dropped means awesome goddamn music in its respective genre!
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:33 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:

Atropus wrote:

I like a handful of glam/hair metal bands like T Rex, New York Dolls, early Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Wasp, EZO, Kiss, etc.

Whoa, whoa... Who said those are bands you shouldn't like? Pretty much every name you dropped means awesome goddamn music in its respective genre!

Exactly!

I would venture to say that not liking some music (Billy Joe Shaver, Al Green, Earth Wind and Fire) means you're a little bit dead inside because some shit transcends genre.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I should probably like Pyramaze

I remember being so hyped when Immortal came out in 2008. I was a big power metal fan, liked what I heard of the Lance King era, and it was Matt Barlow's first metal album since he quit Iced Earth the first time. Eh, it's okay.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:11 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Atropus wrote:

About ten years ago, I remember being notoriously hated on some black metal board for being what those morons call a "faggoth".

Apparently there's some sort of animosity between the metal and goth scenes I was supposed to be aware of. Could it possibly come from the hatred between metalheads and punks in the late 70s??? Maybe it's because it's not "manly macho man-man" music???

Who knows, but a lot of those twerps probably still have bad tastes in their mouths from Cradle of Filth and Marilyn Manson, which they still stubbornly associate with the "goth" scene, despite being told repeatedly what gothic music actually is.

Referencing goth by those comparisons is like saying you hate metal because of Nickelback.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am 

I don't really understand this notion of how I should or shouldn't like something. There is none of that, only "do" or "don't".

I guess people might be surprised that I enjoy me some later Therion though, given my tastes. Not in great quantities mind you, and I'm actually not a huge fan of choirs in metal, yet they still have some pretty powerful songs on albums like Secret of the Runes, Gothic Cabalah, etc. I feel that Lepaca Klifoth (sp) is one of their best albums, despite the sometimes laughably shitty vocals.

DOn't know if I shouldn't like that stuff so much but none of my friends do and this one girl in particular who always complains about how horrible Therion were live and how she saw them for free yet still regretted it will sometimes scoff when I say that I don't only listen to their death metal stuff.

I guess prong is another weird one. I dislike a number of the bands they're often lumped in with, and for sure they started having elements that could be classed as nu-metalish on albums like Cleansing or Rude Awakening, but they started out as a really awesome hardcore/thrash band with great attitude/vocals and interesting rhythms/riffs, and i think they kept a lot of that going as their career went on. Granted about half the songs on Cleansing are crap but when they get it right it's pretty much the best "dance metal" there is ... see "Whose Fist is this Anyway?"
Lost track of them after Rude Awakening though. Heard that Scorpio Rising was really cruddy and haven't bothered since.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 am 

@Abominatrix; it's not really that you "should" or "shouldn't" like something. This is just about those bands/albums that, given your usual taste, would logically resonate with you or, conversely, repel you, yet do the opposite. I think that something along those lines has happened to pretty much everyone here at least once, and I find it to be an interesting little phenomenon.

I simply couldn't think of a better thread title, that's all :-P

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:37 pm 

P

Last edited by ~Guest 292988 on Tue May 05, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:26 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I guess prong is another weird one. I dislike a number of the bands they're often lumped in with, and for sure they started having elements that could be classed as nu-metalish on albums like Cleansing or Rude Awakening, but they started out as a really awesome hardcore/thrash band with great attitude/vocals and interesting rhythms/riffs, and i think they kept a lot of that going as their career went on. Granted about half the songs on Cleansing are crap but when they get it right it's pretty much the best "dance metal" there is ... see "Whose Fist is this Anyway?"
Lost track of them after Rude Awakening though. Heard that Scorpio Rising was really cruddy and haven't bothered since.

I recommend giving Carved Into Stone a listen. It seems to be a bit heavier than most of their 90s stuff.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:02 am 

I've always really hated Toxik. Their riffing just sucks ass.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:20 am 

Quote:
it's not really that you "should" or "shouldn't" like something. This is just about those bands/albums that, given your usual taste, would logically resonate with you or, conversely, repel you, yet do the opposite. I think that something along those lines has happened to pretty much everyone here at least once, and I find it to be an interesting little phenomenon.

I simply couldn't think of a better thread title, that's all

I thought it was like he said too,glad to see its not like that.

Well i used to dislike most nu metal and metalcore but now i see myself enjoyng a lot of Avenged Sevenfold,Slipknot,Chimaira,Bullet for My Valentine,All that Remains,etc.I dont think it counts since now i do like metalcore.

On the other side,i think that Limp Bizkit its just plain bad.I was listening to their only live album a few hours ago, and its just terrible.BUT,i admit that i actually almost enjoy some songs by them,because they are dumb and amusing,and quite catchy actually,songs like Break Stuff,Take a Look Around have some catchy hooks.Not saying its good at all,but i can listen to them.

Bands/albums i guess i should like:

Dark Angel: Couldnt get into them as much as i have tried.I dont see why everybody (thrash fans) praise them.People will hate me,but i find it to be pretty weak,boring and sloppy,not my cup of tea.The vocals are bad,the riffing is boring and bland and the drumming annoying (and we are talking about Gene fucking Hoglan here).And they didnt seem to have much of songwritting skills.Dont know,the songs seem to be mindless speed thrash for the sake of it.There are some cool parts here and there,like the beginning of The Burning of Sodom,wich is super fast and heavy and i like that crazy scream,and the bass at the beginning of Merciless Death.Other than that its just meh for me.The later albums dont interest me neither,more of the same,but more technical.

Endless Pain,Pleasure to Kill and Terrible Certainty by Kreator: Now,im not saying that i dont like those albums.I DO LIKE EM,its just that im not crazy about them,i dont find them that great.Im not big into sloppy thrash,and i think that the songwritting quite lacked.Its just too chaotic but not good enough musically for me,the songs are too similar and not memorable enough for me,those "one word shouted" chorus are just too lazy for me.There are some standout tracks,like Tormentor,Riot of Violence (my favouirte Kreator song) and Endless Pain tho.The thing is that i love Kreator,they are among my favourite metal bands,but mostly because of Extreme Aggression,Coma of Souls,Violent Revolution and Enemy of God.Most of the classic songs seem to be better live anyway.

The thing about this is that i really like Spectrum of Death by Morbid Saint,wich is kind of similar,mind you.Also Chemical Assault by Sadus.Oh,i almost forget,i should add Demolition Hammer.I didnt liked at all the vocals of Epidemic Violence,and the first album just bored me.

Onslaught: I havent given them too much of a chance,but i tried The Force and some newer record and it didnt did much to me.I might check em more later.

Sabbat (UK): These guys seem to be highly praised.I dont like the vocals,and the songs dont do much for me.There is some song...i dont remember the name or the album (damn!) but it starts with what it seems like a court judge speaking about witchcraft asking how the accused found itself and them some guy screams "not guilty!" then a chant that says "guilty,guilty" continues,heheh.Then the song begins with a cool,power metal like riff.That is a cool song.

Vektor: Another from the new wave of thrash who are highly praised.I dont like the vocals at all,the music again,dont do much to me.

Nuclear Assault: I absolutely love Overkill,my favourite thrash band,and i really like early Anthrax,so another fellow band from NY would make sense,but nah.Its mainly the vocals.I hate that kind of vocals in thrash.

Vio-Lence: Absolutely HATE the vocals,worst singer ever.The music is just generic thrash.I prefer Rob Flynn in Machine Head,thehehe.

Just to make things short i would throw in a lot of modern thrash,like Violator,Gama Bomb,Bonded by Blood,Tokic Holocaust,Lazarus.AD.Not saying that i dont like em,i do like some of them,but not much.Modern thrash that i like are Evile,Torture Squad (the best of modern thrash for me,what Sepultura should be playing now) and to a lesser extent,Warbringer.

Manowar: Not sure if i should like Manowar,considering their gimmicky.But i love Virgin Steele,and i mostly enjoy the so called "true metal bands" that may be,the already mentioned Virgin Steele,early Hammerfall,Lost Horizon,Wizard,Stormwarrior,Hibria,etc,i mean bands that take that image,attitude and sound of traditional heavy metal powered up.Dont get me wrong,i find metal elitism and "trueness" to be quite silly,but i like their passion for classic metal and i love that traditional sound.Back to the topic,therefore i should like Manowar,right?.I do like some songs,Hail and Kill is a great song with awesome vocals,Black Wind Fire and Steel is pretty cool,i like some songs on Kings of Metal but most of the rest of what i have listened its quite boring for me,cheesy (not in the cool way) and not very impressive musically.I also find their attitude to be over the top and silly,not to talk about their image,but that doesnt matters much.

Pink Floyd: This is a non metal (obiously) choice.Im not big into progressive rock,but i like it,i love King Crimson and i like Rush,ELP,Jethro Tull among others.Im not saying that i dont like Pink Floyd since i barely gave em a chance,i havent listened to a full album or many songs so this is a special mention,do not take it so seriously.What i have listened i found it a bit boring,dont know.But its a band that i have a strong interest into, specially the album The Wall and their film,so quite probably i will end up liking them.

Dream Theater: Im not big into prog metal (even less than prog rock) but i really like Symphony X,wich are kind of similar (right?) just a bit more power metal oriented and witch a much better singer.But DT hadnt hold too much interest on me.I have tried some of Image and Words and Awake (not the full albums) and those kind of bored me.The vocals were bad,the guitars didnt impressed me that much aside from being technical,neither the drumming,as much as they are highly praised,the songs just bored me.However i like them some,like Under a Glass Moon.I actually like Mike Portnoy more with Avenged Sevenfold (again thehehe,but yeah,actually i do).

Fuck! this post is so long.

Last edited by veyita88 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:34 am 

veyita88 wrote:
Sabbat (UK): These guys seem to be highly praised.I dont like the vocals,and the songs dont do much for me.There is some song...i dont remember the name or the album (damn!) but it starts with what it seems like a court judge speaking about witchcraft asking how the accused found itself and them some guy screams "not guilty!" then a chant that says "guilty,guilty" continues,heheh.Then the song begins with a cool,power metal like riff.That is a cool song.

That's For Those Who Died, which also happens to be one of the few Sabbat songs that works for me too. I honetly have no clue why this band refuses to properly click with me (I dislike the vocals too, but those are rarely a dealbreaker for me - I like Iced Earth's first album, for example); the songwriting is generally varied and interesting, yet nothing really grabs me the way it should.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:08 pm 

Shouldn't like, but do?
The entirety of Type O Negative's discography. Done.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:35 pm 

I've hated on 'em before but Unleashed are definitely one of them for me. I pretty much love all swedeath, and Unleashed aren't at all *bad* per se, but I just find them incredibly dull. Their songwriting is tiresome, they stick approximately one good riff into each song then just have a bunch of...meh, and their production is *never* satisfying. I'd rather listen to Unleashed than most Florida death metal or just about any brutal death/slam, but I'd rather listen to just about any other swedeath band than Unleashed.

As for modern tech death, almost all of it annoys me a whole bunch except for Origin, for some reason. Maybe because, despite all the speed and wankery, their songs are usually built on a solid foundation of memorable riffs with just the right amount of melody. Not that I'm a giant fanboy or anything, but I do listen to them from time to time.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:54 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
As for modern tech death, almost all of it annoys me a whole bunch except for Origin, for some reason. Maybe because, despite all the speed and wankery, their songs are usually built on a solid foundation of memorable riffs with just the right amount of melody. Not that I'm a giant fanboy or anything, but I do listen to them from time to time.

I'm not a fan of tech death either, but I like Necrophagist. It's mostly due to their solos, which separate them from any other tech death I've heard, and being into neoclassical stuff probably factors in here. Their riffs as well, particularly on Epitaph, seem to simply have more style than the vast majority of similar bands, and I think they're more memorable too. That being said I'm not familiar with too many tech death bands since the handful of others I've heard didn't interest me.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:56 pm 

@iamntbatman have you heard Where No Life Dwells? All other Unleashed releases pale in comparison to it, total old school Swedish death metal sound. The only other Unleashed album I ever re-visit is Midvinterblot. Only because that one is catchy and cool, the debut is truly a work of dark art.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 pm 

Yes, I've heard all of their full-lengths minus the newest one, which I don't have yet.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:58 pm 

Another one... on paper, Sonata Arctica is the kind of band I should loathe and despise to no end. Sugary plastified production, over-reliance on hooky choruses, unnecessarily flashy guitar and keyboard solos, helium pitched vocals... yet I absolutely love their first two albums. They're just a fuckton of fun, and the songwriting and arrangements can reach unusually high levels... classy, even (The End of This Chapter is simply a gorgeous tune, and the way the swift key changes and dynamic shifts underline the song's narrative pace is masterful).
Oh, and their ballads: overdramatic, sappy as all hell - can I have more of that, please?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:54 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Another one... on paper, Sonata Arctica is the kind of band I should loathe and despise to no end. Sugary plastified production, over-reliance on hooky choruses, unnecessarily flashy guitar and keyboard solos, helium pitched vocals... yet I absolutely love their first two albums. They're just a fuckton of fun, and the songwriting and arrangements can reach unusually high levels... classy, even (The End of This Chapter is simply a gorgeous tune, and the way the swift key changes and dynamic shifts underline the song's narrative pace is masterful).
Oh, and their ballads: overdramatic, sappy as all hell - can I have more of that, please?

They have a very good sense of melody. They don't really sound like anyone else - despite their poppy nature they are quite unique and probably could be called left-of-center in terms of their mainstream accessibility. They have a lot of passion to their music, too, and I like the lyrics a lot even when they're riddled with broken English. Very interesting band.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:18 pm 

Sky Eats Airplane. Cringe-worthy electronic metalcore with a front man whose vocals are either autotuned or sound like he has a cold. That I like some of their material is a conundrum. :scratch:

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:20 pm 

Darkthrone,
Be it the early DM style, the black metal period or the current punk/black/whatever.
Nothing of their's has ever impressed me.

Judas Priest,
Aside from the drum solo/dive bomb intro to Painkiller, they do very little for me at all. Won't deny their influence/importance though.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:21 pm 

corpsewithoutsoul wrote:
Shouldn't like, but do?

Why the hell not?
Amazing band with a flawless discography.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

JT Rager
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:38 am 

I really don't understand the massive love for Orphaned Land. I generally love bands that are trying new things, and I'll eat pretty much any prog metal up. They have near universal acclaim for all their albums, and yet they rarely make me feel any emotion whatsoever. I don't think they're gimmicky, I just find them boring.

Must be the "Porcupeth Production", I don't really care for it at all.

-Tracie Harris

Maulgraun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 am 

veyita88 wrote:

Endless Pain,Pleasure to Kill and Terrible Certainty by Kreator: Now,im not saying that i dont like those albums.I DO LIKE EM,its just that im not crazy about them,i dont find them that great.Im not big into sloppy thrash,and i think that the songwritting quite lacked.Its just too chaotic but not good enough musically for me,the songs are too similar and not memorable enough for me,those "one word shouted" chorus are just too lazy for me.There are some standout tracks,like Tormentor,Riot of Violence (my favouirte Kreator song) and Endless Pain tho.The thing is that i love Kreator,they are among my favourite metal bands,but mostly because of Extreme Aggression,Coma of Souls,Violent Revolution and Enemy of God.Most of the classic songs seem to be better live anyway.

Endless Pain might be my favorite album ever, but I agree with what you said about Vio-lence, the vocals are atrocious. There are a bunch of really popular thrash metal bands that I don't like either.
I really hate Dave Mustaine's vocals in Megadeth.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:15 am 

shwartzheim wrote:
corpsewithoutsoul wrote:
Shouldn't like, but do?

Why the hell not?
Amazing band with a flawless discography.

Don't you get it man? She's a corpse without soul. Obviously she's not supposed to like anything that involves soul.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:35 am 

I'm totally hooked on Fear Factory. Groovy metal with yelling in a macho fashion bores the fuck out of me ordinarily but I've always liked FF. I don't know! I guess I find their intensity really genuine.

I'm also not really big on Gamma Ray and Helloween after the Keepers albums. I can stomach some Andi era Helloween but Gamma Ray is still hard for me to get through and I doubt there's a single album from them I've sat down and listened all through to the end.
Funny enough, I am a rabid Primal Fear fanboy and I could scream their lyrics at you.

Therion is another band that has failed to wash with me. I have met Snowy Shaw and Christofer Johnsson and they were really great to me and a friend sent me the 'Live Gothic' DVD and what a fucking blast it was but sit me down with a complete album and I drift off after a while. I usually love theatrical orchestral stuff and if I were to review their stuff I'd probably rate it highly but it still hasn't stuck with me. I'll give it more time though, I can see myself really getting into it further down the road.

For now I'll just head back quietly to my Attacker/Vicious Rumors albums...seriously, have you guys heard their new albums???? Two of the best 2013 power metal records!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 am 

TomD666 wrote:
I think Obituary are a bit crap.
And I actually quite like Six Feet Under.

Like Cradle of Filth, SFU would be better with a different vocalist. Barnes vocals and lyrics have sucked for years(though I do listen to them).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next