Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm 

Sorry for the long ass thread title.

So, this is pretty simple; is there any music that, for all intents and purposes, you should be in love with, yet leaves you cold? Or, conversely, something that would usually push all the wrong buttons with you but, for some unfathomable reason, you can't avoid liking it. Of course, sometimes, you might be able to pinpoint the exact reasons for your enjoyment/dislike, but there are always exceptions to that.

My main personal offender is the Danish band Manticora. Strictly speaking, they play my favourite type of power metal; heavy, beefy and kinetic, with strong vocals and a taste for the epic. However, they do absolutely nothing for me. If there's any reason for that, then it must be the fact that they have no concept of songwriting economy, and tend to turn what would be perfectly good, compact pieces of metal into six-minute long snoozefest. They simply aren't creative enough to keep a long song very interesting, really.

Alright guys, how about you?

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm 

I always felt this way about Annihilator's Alice in Hell. It's commonly mentioned in the same breath as a lot of terrific thrash classics from the 80s, but I never found my taste for it. Parts of it...I dunno...remind me more of a band like Jackyl than any kind of thrash metal. Never tried any of the band's other releases.

heron
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:00 pm 

I should love Nifelheim, but when I listen to them I always feel that there is something missing.

I actually like a lot of the tracks on Cowboys from Hell, but I know I shouldn't.

I enjoy Opeth's first two albums more than anything else in their discography, despite those albums often being considered some one their weakest by Opeth fans. I think it's the black metal-esque atmosphere that turns me on.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm 

I'm not that huge on power metal and I hate techy-for-the-sake-of-it bands, but I love all DragonForce albums for their mad intensity and fun catchiness.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 pm 

I should love Stratovarius since im a huge Sonata fan, but im just a casual listener that doesn't find em that great, i like their super speedy songs but the ballads and midpaced tunes bore me unlike Sonata.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:24 pm 

I should like Tool, because I love alternative metal/rock, but I can't get myself to like this band. I can listen to a song or 2 and, think they are ok, but a whole album is impossible. And believe me, I have really tried to like this band, but it is useless. I have a feeling I would like this band more if it was fronted by Mike Patton or if I was a weed smoker.

I like Ghost, And I really shouldn't, because I don't like gimmicky bands or retro bands. But I can't help myself digging some of their tracks.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm 

Death. I'm sorry but for the most part they really don't do anything for me. It kinda blurs into a wall of noise.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:55 pm 

.... bracing myself for an onslaught of abuse...

Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:01 pm 

Enslaved.

I should love their progressive black metal feel. I should love the mix of harsh and clean vocals. I should like the general pagan imagery. I should like the band but they don't quite reach out far enough for me to grab on to something. And I can't quite specify what it is. Sometimes when I know a band like this I keep giving them chances and suddenly something clicks. With Enslaved I still wait for that moment and I have given the band several chances over the years. I have actually been familiar with them since the late 90's and have tried to listen to their current and older material over the course of the following 13 years or so without much success. Its not bad but I can't find myself to care enough to actually keep listening.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Paninaro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

I love Mercyful Fate more than life, so I should really love King Diamond. Apart from Abigail, I have trouble getting interested in King Diamond records. The amazing songwriting from the Fate records doesn't seem to be there.

MrMetalinasuit1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:08 pm 

On the shouldn't like side of things I love me some Motley Crue. Sue me.

david666infierno
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm 

Well, I think Aborted. As a death metal fan I usually hear people talking about how good the old aborted was. But, it doesn’t matter if it is the new or the old one (Musically talking), I just hate how they sound, specially the clean vocals. Although they can be hearable, not to me.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:54 pm 

As a big fan of euro-thrash, I thought I'd really like the works od Artillery. Nope...sorry, not even "By Inheritance".

On the other hand, I liked "Vulgar Display of Pwer" more than I should have. *blushes*

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:10 pm 

Jeez, the circlejerk is really out of hand if people are now embarrassed to admit they like Pantera.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:51 pm 

I should definitely hate these old 80's swedepunk bands, since I hate leftists and multiculturalism and all that shit but damn, they're good.

Also, Journey To The Center Of The Mind by Ted Nugent And The Amboy Dukes... Why do I love this again?

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:59 pm 

I have an absolute shit-tonne of these, namely being a lot of mainstream metalcore/deathcore that should otherwise conflict with my tastes but don't. This also includes "brostep", "djent" and some juvenile alt rock too, that I might listen to on casual basis.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm 

KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera

Clearly you don't get it.

I hate Immortal with a passion. I love bands that sound exactly like Immortal, but cannot go through the real thing. Another one is Augury (the Canadian one). I don't hate them, but I find them very boring. Being a tech death fan, I don't know what I'm missing exactly.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm 

I'm a huge prog metal fan but I just don't get Ayreon for the most part. Hopefully my opinion will change with the new album.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:29 pm 

Opeth, Meshuggah, Mastodon, Tool, Alcest, etc. etc. etc.

I don't care how many glowing reviews these overrated "geniuses" get in the next Guitar Nerd magazine or whatever. Their music does nothing for me at all, really.

Cannibal Corpse and Obituary. I LOVE old school death metal, and these two are considered staples.
However, Cannibal Corpse just seem to be the most boring, one-dimensional, and stereotypical band ever, with all the earmarks that ignorant people who hate death metal use to make fun of death metal with. Cannibal Corpse was one of the bands who paved the way for wave after wave of obnoxious brutal death metal/deathcore/"bodyslam death" or whatever to take over with their chugging/blasting/pig-squealing monotony.

Obituary took me awhile, but I finally was able to enjoy their first 2 albums. However, they always annoyed me with a whole bunch of little details. John Tardy's vocals annoy the fuck out of me, their guitar tone sounds more like a stoner/grunge band than death metal, and the fact the can't seem to stay away from urban grooves and urban street imagery. The moment I see a bunch of wiggers in baseball caps bouncing to the beat and doing hand gestures, I turn around and walk the other way.

Pantera.... I hate them, end of story. Only their glam stuff and a couple songs on Cowboys From Hell are tolerable. Groovy stuff gets an F- from me every time.

AC/DC..... they're more of a "party" band really. Don't HATE them, just would never listen to a CD of theirs beginning to end. Everyone loves them, and I consider them glorified pub rock.

Bands I shouldn't like but do....... probably the majority of metalheads would kick my ass for listening to new wave/new romantic music from the 80s. I honestly enjoy David Bowie, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Visage, Roxy Music and similar stuff.

I like a handful of glam/hair metal bands like T Rex, New York Dolls, early Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Wasp, EZO, Kiss, etc.

I also like quite a few goth/darkwave bands like Bauhaus, early Christian Death, Fields of the Nephilim, Clan of Xymox, Diary of Dreams, Sopor Aeternus, Dead Can Dance, Siouxsie & the Banshees, early Lacrimosa (only first album, actually), etc.

Last edited by Atropus on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:35 pm 

whiteshark761 wrote:
Jeez, the circlejerk is really out of hand if people are now embarrassed to admit they like Pantera.

I think their albums from Power Metal to Reinventing the Steel are very satisfying listens.

Since I love quirky, pompously orchestrated music, I should really be into the more recent Fleshgod Apocalypse records... but they do absolutely nothing for me. I've hardly ever been the "only the old shit is good" type, but in this case, Oracles and Mafia trample everything that followed so far in my book.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:46 pm 

I'm going out of my way now to rag on Gorgoroth.

It's because I'm a black metaller that everyone who knows black metal tends to assume I like them.

It's not that I don't, it's just frustrating that nothing they've done in their entire career can really touch their first 3 albums. Yet it seems that almost all anyone knows about them is their later Gaahl and onward era, especially after all that media hype they got late on. NO ONE bothers to check out Pentagram and Antichrist, and would rather hear those crisp chuggy powerless riffs of their newer material, or that train wreck that was Destroyer.

I also put Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon in the same category. Only the first 3 albums of either band were any good, but people only know them for their later trash.

The price I pay for being in my 30s amongst people in their 20s......

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 pm 

whiteshark761 wrote:

Actually I like Pantera. Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell and Great Southern Trendkill are all pretty solid in my book. Its just that many metalheads hate Vulgar Display, and considering I typically despise that brand of groove metal, I really dug much of the album

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm 

If I want groovy, backwards baseball cap street metal, I'll take Anthrax, Carnivore, or Suicidal Tendencies any day over Panterrible.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:10 pm 

People, people, this is not a "guilty pleasures" thread. No need to say that you'll get chastised for liking this or that. Also:
KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
Fucking Iron Maiden. Don't get it. Bunch of boring dragon wanking opera. (I don't like any metal that does dragon wank operas, but Iron Maiden is the one that I'm most supposed to love.)

Not liking Maiden? I get it. Calling them "dragon wanking opera"? Now that is just fucking stupid.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:25 pm 

I think the "dragon wanking opera" comment should fuel another thread called "comments people made about music that pissed you off".

I'd put that one right next to "C'mon, how can anyone not like Korn???"

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 pm 

Atropus wrote:
I'm going out of my way now to rag on Gorgoroth.

It's because I'm a black metaller that everyone who knows black metal tends to assume I like them.

It's not that I don't, it's just frustrating that nothing they've done in their entire career can really touch their first 3 albums. Yet it seems that almost all anyone knows about them is their later Gaahl and onward era, especially after all that media hype they got late on. NO ONE bothers to check out Pentagram and Antichrist, and would rather hear those crisp chuggy powerless riffs of their newer material, or that train wreck that was Destroyer.

I also put Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon in the same category. Only the first 3 albums of either band were any good, but people only know them for their later trash.

The price I pay for being in my 30s amongst people in their 20s......

I don't really think that you can blame age for this. I'm eighteen and the only albums of Dimmu I'd listen to are For all tid and Stormblåst. Hell, I picked up the collector's box thing of ABRAHACRAPRA solely because it was five euros new and I've never been able to listen to the whole thing because it's so boring. Gorgoroth has never done anything for me personally, even their older albums, but I certainly agree with you about Satyricon.

Anyways, I think some people are going about answering this question the wrong way. It's not like someone shouldn't listen to a band or album because other people say so or because it's popular, or should listen to a band because it's popular. I think this thread is more about what's similar to music you like in almost every way but you still dislike it for some reason you can't quite put your finger on, or some band that sounds like other bands you can't stand but you really like them anyways. Atropus listed some bands that are largely praised by metalheads, but if he doesn't like bands that are similar to them, why should he like them? Why should he like Alcest if he doesn't like Old Silver Key, Les Discretes, or Amesoeurs? I don't like death metal so it makes sense that Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, etc. (I honestly can't name many more death metal bands than that) don't appeal to me, but for some reason, I love the shit out of Nile. That's somewhat of an oddity.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm 

VariedTastes wrote:
I think this thread is more about what's similar to music you like in almost every way but you still dislike it for some reason you can't quite put your finger on, or some band that sounds like other bands you can't stand but you really like them anyways.

Yes, thank you. It ain't that difficult to understand, guys.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:36 pm 

Well, I guess I'll name Godflesh and early Fear Factory. Both use downtuned power chords, "yelling" vocal styles, and "groovy" rhythms.

I usually can't stand bands who use these traits, but these bands were not only originators, but also they have a suffocating mechanical atmosphere unmatched by any others.

Funny also mentioning Les Discrets. I usually find this new wave of "blackgaze" boring s fuck, but that one video they did I actually didn't mind. I guess you can throw them in that category.

I named Cannibal Corpse/Obituary because I love most old school death, and they usually come up in most conversations involving OSDM.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
whiteshark761 wrote:

Actually I like Pantera. Power Metal, Cowboys From Hell and Great Southern Trendkill are all pretty solid in my book. Its just that many metalheads hate Vulgar Display, and considering I typically despise that brand of groove metal, I really dug much of the album

I will never understand all the hate that Vulgar Display receives on M-A. To me is a total 90s classic with some epic songs. I can't help thinking that people who say that the first 3 Pantera's albums are their best (just like people who say that Iron Maiden's first 2 albums are their greatest achievements) are just a bunch of pretentious unique snow flakes.

I have a problem with grindcore, I feel like I should love most of the bands that I check (I love Wormrot, early Carcass, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Insect Warfare and some Pig Destroyer, but that's about it) but I find all of them to be lame, half assed or totally laughable, even well known bands like Brutal Truth, Nasum, E.N.T, Brujeria, etc...I fucking despise those bands. It's weird considering all the qualities that some of those bands share.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:06 pm 

Indeed, the only grindcore I can really love is Terrorizer, early Napalm Death, early Carcass and Impetigo. I guess some people also consider Bolt Thrower grindcore, but I don't. All other grindcore sucks to me.

That's weird, because I really like crust punk.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:54 pm 

I'll admit that I don't actually know what Iron Maiden's songs are about... because I can't hear properly with my eyes rolled back in my head. It's some sort of wanking.

I was subjected to them a lot as a teenager. Crammed in the back of a friend's car with a bunch of other people, all of whom just fucking loved Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath. It was awful.

Then one day, someone put a tape in and I was all "Whoa. This doesn't suck. I like this!"

It was Metallica Ride the Lightning. I have never reacted so positively to a new record in my life. I immediately went out and bought their albums and then got into a bunch of thrash. But I never did grow to like Iron Maiden (or Black Sabbath.)

I can just about appreciate Judas Priest, now.

Xandaphon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:09 pm 

I shouldn't like Slipknot, because I don't like nu-metal at all, but damn can Joey Jordison play the cans. His playing is interesting enough to make me forget about what I am actually listening to.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:12 pm 

I've only heard one Slipknot song (the video where the kids trash a house) and I like it. I feel guilty about it.

Apparently, I am not supposed to like Devil Driver. I never heard of them until they played at Bloodstock, and by gum, they were good!

I am apparently a massive poseur.

whiteshark761
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:21 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
I can't help thinking that people who say that the first 3 Pantera's albums are their best (just like people who say that Iron Maiden's first 2 albums are their greatest achievements) are just a bunch of pretentious unique snow flakes.

Eh, I wouldn't put them in the same category. I think people overhype the early Pantera stuff because they're fighting against many years of people saying it sucks, even though they've never heard it. Iron Maiden's first two albums, on the other hand, are actually awesome and worth every bit of the Bruce albums. I never got the feeling they were stigmatized at all. Greatest achievements? Commercially, no. Musically, it's arguable. I'd definitely take them over anything since 7th Son.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:39 pm 

While I wouldn't say Iron Maiden have ever made a "bad" album, they began to repeat themselves quite heavily on Dance of Death onwards.

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:53 pm 

For me, it'd be Motorhead.
I really dig bands like Sodom, Venom, Exciter, old school Overkill but apart from their songs like Overkill (which I like more for that drum solo intro) and Aces Of Spades, I find Motorhead completely over rated and just can't get into them.

For bands who I shouldn't like, I'd have to say Devildriver.
I usually don't listen to metal that polished and would easily be the most accessible metal band I listen to.
The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand is a damn fine album and Dez's vocals are something that just shouldn't work for me because I hate other bands like Ill Nino who do the same.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 pm 

Since I'm in love with "Awaken the Guardian" I should also like The Spectre Within, but for some reason, I don't, actually, I only like 2 songs off that album, the rest is just a snore fest for me. I hope that with more listens, I'll be able to find out what's so great about it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 pm 

I should probably like Pyramaze and Nevermore, but eh, never did anything for me. Can't even really say why except Warrel Dane's vocals in Nevermore were never good. Otherwise they have a lot of traits I usually like in melodic metal, but I never get into it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:14 pm 

heron wrote:
I enjoy Opeth's first two albums more than anything else in their discography, despite those albums often being considered some one their weakest by Opeth fans. I think it's the black metal-esque atmosphere that turns me on.

Since when? It's widely considered to be some of their best material, well they're my 2 favs alongside MAYH and Still Life and I'm a pretty huge fan. Apparently Mikael isn't a fan of Orchid and Morningrise but the TRVE Opeth fans are!

Despite liking Black Witchery, I can't get into Revenge at all, I think they're pretty awful. Kind of weird. And I don't know why I'm not the biggest Bathory fan, perhaps Quorthon's singing?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 pm 

Also, as much as I like gothic/doom metal, Paradise Lost KILLS it with the yarling!!!!! :grr: :grr: :grr:

They sound like what would happen if My Dying Bride provided instrumental backing music to Eddie Vedder and James Hetfield having a pizza-eating contest.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next