Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:24 am 

^ Well, that's a fucking bummer. The chap who runs my local mom 'n' pop record store is a close friend of theirs and is going to be gutted once he finds out if he's not already aware. I hadn't seen them live yet and we were pulling to get them to swing through at some point. We just had Saxon roll through over the weekend and while the old guard is always welcome here, more and more bands from other genres are passing us up and doom's always maintained a strong following. Hell, the first BW&BK 6 Pack Festival back in '03 headlined by Trouble and Candlemass still gets talked about here as one of the best shows ever...

...but I digress. Hopefully this will just wind up being a temporary hiatus.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
^ Well, that's a fucking bummer. The chap who runs my local mom 'n' pop record store is a close friend of theirs and is going to be gutted once he finds out if he's not already aware. I hadn't seen them live yet and we were pulling to get them to swing through at some point. We just had Saxon roll through over the weekend and while the old guard is always welcome here, more and more bands from other genres are passing us up and doom's always maintained a strong following. Hell, the first BW&BK 6 Pack Festival back in '03 headlined by Trouble and Candlemass still gets talked about here as one of the best shows ever...

...but I digress. Hopefully this will just wind up being a temporary hiatus.

Are you from Ohio? Are you referring to Charlie, the guy from My Mind's Eye Records?

I saw The Gates of Slumber at Now That's Class in May 2012 and he was there. When he walked into the room Karl Simon, the frontman, called him by name and was glad he was there. I go to My Mind's Eye whenever I'm in Ohio.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:52 pm 

^ Correct on all counts, man. I couldn't make that gig last year, much to my dismay, but word is it was a hell of a time. Indeed, Charlie got me familiar to them when we started shooting the shit about Dream Death/Penance and Cathedral a ways back. NTC's definitely become the venue du jour on the west side of town for metal bands with the Spitfire hosting a good number of punk shows. My Mind's Eye is still very much around, they just moved to another building on Detroit Ave. from where they were on Madison.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm 

The new location is beautiful too, but I do say I liked the old building better. It had more of a homey feel. At least there is Mr. Hero's right next door for a post-record shopping feast!!! lol.

Haven't been to the Spitfire. In fact, I've never even heard of it. I would bounce between Peabody's and NTC in my younger years. I've been to Tower 2012 once for a Trash Talk show.

Also, since we're both Ohioans, you ever drive past the Hells Headbanger's warehouse? I did a couple of years ago, hoping for a purely metal record store lol. I saw it was a warehouse and kept driving. I got to see the place where they filmed the video for God by Nunslaughter though, haha.

One more Ohio story: I met Jim Sadist while walking down the street in my town once. Like, pure suburbs, 20 minutes west of Cleveland. He was driving a Staples truck. He saw my Bathory t-shirt and gave me a Nunslaughter sticker and some HHR sampler CDs. I was walking home from quitting my job at the time too. Made my day!! :D I will always remember that.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:28 pm 

The new Atlantean Kodex leaked, I'm anxious to know your opinions, guys as I reviewed it almost 2 months ago.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:47 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
The new Atlantean Kodex leaked, I'm anxious to know your opinions, guys as I reviewed it almost 2 months ago.

It's very enjoyable but doesn't hit me as hard as The Golden Bough did. I agree with most of what you said in your review, by the way. "Safe sophomore" is spot on, but I'll take it one more (last?) time. Next album should be more uptempo for variety's sake. They shouldn't limit themselves to writing these long and bombastic epics as it can get a bit repetitive. In the field of epic doom, Realmbuilder still reigns supreme in 2013. Only a month to go. :wink:

UlrichAcheronNacht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:14 pm 

I'm looking for some nice, slow, and heavy doom bands. Nothing too slow like Burning Witch, but perhaps nothing faster than Sleep. Preferably stoner doom, full of heavy chords and riffs but lacking the gritty vocals. Church of Misery isn't bad, neither is Bongzilla or Electric Wizard. Didn't enjoy High on Fire, though. If possible, perhaps something instrumental?~

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:40 pm 

UlrichAcheronNacht wrote:
I'm looking for some nice, slow, and heavy doom bands. Nothing too slow like Burning Witch, but perhaps nothing faster than Sleep. Preferably stoner doom, full of heavy chords and riffs but lacking the gritty vocals. Church of Misery isn't bad, neither is Bongzilla or Electric Wizard. Didn't enjoy High on Fire, though. If possible, perhaps something instrumental?~

Enjoy :)!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 pm 

That new Windhand album is such a disappointment... wonder if they've ever heard Electric Wizard :wanker:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:01 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
That new Windhand album is such a disappointment... wonder if they've ever heard Electric Wizard :wanker:

I only like this demo, indeed.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 am 

First full length is OK by me. Haven't heard the demo, maybe I should.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:49 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
First full length is OK by me. Haven't heard the demo, maybe I should.

The demo contains songs that are also featured on the first full-length, but in my opinion it has a better production. Grittier. The Windhand track I posted is from the demo. Compare it to the version on the full-length release :)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:17 pm 

PlagueRages wrote:
Can someone recommend me bands in the vein of Electric Wizard? They're one of the best bands I've discovered so far this year and I'm eager to listen to more stuff like them.

I'm your man!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:40 pm 

You already linked most of these yesterday...

Check out Black Capricorn and High Priest of Saturn, both pretty psychedelic with a doom stoner basis.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 am 

Metantoine wrote:
You already linked most of these yesterday...

Check out Black Capricorn and High Priest of Saturn, both pretty psychedelic with a doom stoner basis.

I didn't link most of these yesterday. I linked two out of four, which is half ;) Also, those tracks were according to his/her music taste and fit perfectly with his/her request. That is why I posted two of those songs again :)

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 pm 

Okay, I absolutely love the new Mael Mordha album and I want more stuff with vocals like these. I just love the sense of pride in his delivery. I wish more pagan and viking bands would have this kinda vocals instead of harsh screams

Edit: Should've posted in the folk/viking/pagan thread. I'm gonna post it there as well

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:59 pm 

I've actually been enjoying the new Windhand quite a bit more than any Electric Wizard album. And I'm definitely a fan of Electric Wizard, at least up to Let us prey.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:48 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
Okay, I absolutely love the new Mael Mordha album and I want more stuff with vocals like these. I just love the sense of pride in his delivery. I wish more pagan and viking bands would have this kinda vocals instead of harsh screams

Edit: Should've posted in the folk/viking/pagan thread. I'm gonna post it there as well

Might be a bit off, but Gods Tower also get labeled as folk/doom, so you might want to give them a try.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:48 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Really awesome album. I like it more than the previous one. Its more riff oriented and less ethereal. I like the fact that they have gone doomier, makes the album more engaging

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 pm 

caspian wrote:
I would recommend that people avoid Nortt like the plague.

This. I never got what people saw in this band.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:28 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
caspian wrote:
I would recommend that people avoid Nortt like the plague.

This. I never got what people saw in this band.

Come on, they are not that bad. First time I heard em I didn't really like em but they have grown on me

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:05 am 

I'm a huge Black Sabbath and Pentagram fan and i like heavy and oppressive music in general
I'm starting to listen eighties band like Candlemass and Trouble but the only band that capture my attention is Saint Vitus
This band is primitive in the approach and i think are not as modern as the others 2 band i've mentioned..
They are not heavy metal band but their music is oppressive and miserable at at the same time communicates a sense of alienation
I like slow tempos with repetitive guitar riffing and the other Band worthy in this aspect is Cathedral..The first album "the forest of equilibrium" is innovative because the guitar riffing sound is something i've never listened by Pentagrram,Black Sabbath and neither Saint Vitus..This guitar sound is rusty and thin and hypnotic..very muddy i could say..Probably is the most slow album that i've listened..this album is a triumph of slowness and claustrophobia..This album is 1991 and i ask you if there's something that has a chance to be compared to this masterpiece or if it's still unsorpassed by others new band..
Could i find these features (guitar sound in particular and slowness)in new modern bands like Electric Wizard or others?
thanks guys

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:00 am 

Umm...so what do you want exactly? Bands similar to Saint Vitus and Cathedral?

Titenis wrote:
They are not heavy metal band but their music is oppressive and miserable at at the same time communicates a sense of alienation

Who are you referring to as not heavy metal??
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:11 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Umm...so what do you want exactly? Bands similar to Saint Vitus and Cathedral?

Titenis wrote:

Who are you referring to as not heavy metal??

I'm not exactly looking for Saint Vitus clone but I'm looking for something able to compare in terms of slowness to "The forest of equilibrium" album..

I'm reffering to Saint vitus when i mean NOT heavy metal..Obviously vitus are not hard rock of the 70,but they are not influenced by NWOBHM as it seems for Witchfinder General..And if you compare to candlemass guitar playing david chandler is more wah Wah blue cheer oriented and certainly is not a prototip of heavy metal guitarist..Something that seems fit perfectly to Candlemass Clean and modern heavy metal guitar solo..

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 am 

Hmm, I get your point. At first Dave Chandler formed a punk band influenced heavily by the sound of Black Flag (who were also influenced by Sabbath). Then they shifted to a more heavy blues oriented sound influenced by Hendrix and Blue Cheer as you've mentioned. By the time they released their demo they've transformed into a Sabbath oriented doomy band utilizing downtuned guitars and slower tempos. The previous traits were still there like Chandler's blues inspired soloing and half punk half hippie attitude. They were one of the first bands to be labelled as doom metal as well as stoner metal. As both are pronounced subgenres of heavy metal so it's obvious they are a metal band. I mean heavy metal is not only confined to NWOBHM for god's sake. So many different connotations have been attached to 'heavy metal' over the years that most people who aren't quite acquainted get baffled upon discovering it. Sabbath were the first band to be labelled as heavy metal. NWOBHM came later. Anyone who's well acquainted with the riffing style of Sabbath can easily distinguish the borderline between hard rock and heavy metal. Chandler's riffs are well beyond that borderline so Saint Vitus is definitely metal.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:56 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Hmm, I get your point. At first Dave Chandler formed a punk band influenced heavily by the sound of Black Flag (who were also influenced by Sabbath). Then they shifted to a more heavy blues oriented sound influenced by Hendrix and Blue Cheer as you've mentioned. By the time they released their demo they've transformed into a Sabbath oriented doomy band utilizing downtuned guitars and slower tempos. The previous traits were still there like Chandler's blues inspired soloing and half punk half hippie attitude. They were one of the first bands to be labelled as doom metal as well as stoner metal. As both are pronounced subgenres of heavy metal so it's obvious they are a metal band. I mean heavy metal is not only confined to NWOBHM for god's sake. So many different connotations have been attached to 'heavy metal' over the years that most people who aren't quite acquainted get baffled upon discovering it. Sabbath were the first band to be labelled as heavy metal. NWOBHM came later. Anyone who's well acquainted with the riffing style of Sabbath can easily distinguish the borderline between hard rock and heavy metal. Chandler's riffs are well beyond that borderline so Saint Vitus is definitely metal.

i'm agree with you but we are moving away from my post..do you suggest me if exists a slower doom album than Forest of equilibrium?
No mention funeral doom act because in this music there are not features that define the archetype of Doom song (hypnotic or repetitive guitar low tuned riffing) and no mention Epic doom meta ala Candlemass..

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am 

Okay, here are a few recommendations you may find satisfying:

First and foremost,
Reverend Bizarre. Their second album is tad upbeat like mid-period Cathedral.

Griftegard. I think they might be your perfect companion based on the sound you're seeking.

The Wounded Kings

Fall of the Idols. Excellent doom from Finland with a hint of Alice in Chains-esque harmonized chants here and there.

Pallbearer. A minority don't like them because their overtly gloomy and plodding nature on the contrary they've got a large number of admirer including me.

Isole. They've been tagged as epic doom but generally they are much slower than other epic doom bands.

Eagle Twin (kinda droney but got the traits of traditional doom riffing to its core)

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:57 am 

doomster999 wrote:
Okay, here are a few recommendations you may find satisfying:

First and foremost,
Reverend Bizarre. Their second album is tad upbeat like mid-period Cathedral.

Griftegard. I think they might be your perfect companion based on the sound you're seeking.

The Wounded Kings

Fall of the Idols. Excellent doom from Finland with a hint of Alice in Chains-esque harmonized chants here and there.

Pallbearer. A minority don't like them because their overtly gloomy and plodding nature on the contrary they've got a large number of admirer including me.

Isole. They've been tagged as epic doom but generally they are much slower than other epic doom bands.

Eagle Twin (kinda droney but got the traits of traditional doom riffing to its core)

thank you very much doomster...start listening and I will tell you impressions...

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:52 pm 

Reverend Bizarre track you've posted is by far the best in my opinion..This band belong to the new wave of traditional doom but seems respect the real doom sound of the ancient days..In particular combines with a absolute perfection Cathedral+Candlemass approach with originality and personality..no clones..fantastic epic voice and slow tempos with inspired guitar playing that no overplay..no groovy and drums are ok..

Griftergard not bad but vocals are not at the same level of Reverend Bizarre..Band seems very similar to Reverend bizarre but there's melodic and melancholic guitar playing that i don't appreciate...This doom is distant from the old school...

The wound kings impressive...what a wall of fuzz feedback guitar...first 4 minute great..after a melancholic part that i don't like...this doom is a subgenre of the traditional?what is called?doom stoned?

the other band not impress..

Eagle twin again an unknown type of doom for me...like the wound kings wall of fuzz guitar and filtrated distant voice..there is psych guitar at the end a little stoner psych..

when it comes from the stoned sound of this 2 band?who are the pioneer of this drugged stoned doom?very interesting and extreme sound i wanna know details if you could..

thanks man you are competent..

doomster999

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm 

Stoner/doom can be traced back to Sabbath's Master of Reality or to some extent Sir Lord Baltimore's Kingdom Come and early work of Blue Cheer. Master of Reality is practically the origin of all doom related subgenres such as sludge, stoner and even grunge (which is more of a media invented catchphrase than a subgenre). Sleep is considered the first band to be blatantly labelled as stoner metal alongwith Kyuss, Cathedral and Electric Wizard. Saint Vitus, Trouble and Soundgarden have also been labelled as stoner rock/metal occasionally.

Last.fm

Last edited by doomster999 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm 

kyuss is rock oriented..if i'm not wrong..Electric Wizard seems more extreme and not simply stoner rock..
there's too groove in kyuss music..Electric Wizard no..
what do you think?

shittydistortion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 pm 

titenis,

Im a huge Vitus fan and have always sought out bands in that style that keep it simple and primitive. No luck though.

Reverend Bizarre was truly unique and if you've explored their discography, youll know they had a prodded the doom genre with different influences on each release. Their second album is probably not what youre looking for if you want slow and primitive. In the Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend and Harbinger of Metal was more like Vitus but much longer songs, the later being more melodic and approachable. Not sure if youre familiar with these albums.

give these guys a shot:
Winter
Procession (chile)

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:51 pm 

shittydistortion wrote:
titenis,

Im a huge Vitus fan and have always sought out bands in that style that keep it simple and primitive. No luck though.

Reverend Bizarre was truly unique and if you've explored their discography, youll know they had a prodded the doom genre with different influences on each release. Their second album is probably not what youre looking for if you want slow and primitive. In the Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend and Harbinger of Metal was more like Vitus but much longer songs, the later being more melodic and approachable. Not sure if youre familiar with these albums.

give these guys a shot:
Winter
Procession (chile)

Reverend Bizarre is a great band..they have impressed me much because they are a perfect combination of Cathedral+Candlemass
Obviuosly nothing in common with the Gods Saint Vitus but i think In the Rectory of is a valid competitor in slowless with Forest of equilibrium..I think is the closest album that i could find..Harbinger of metal is a little boring in my opinion..
Winter i've listened because i was searching of something proto funeral doom...I think we are in the field of death/doom more than traditional doom in my opinion...the only funeral doom band that i like listen to is Thergothon..on air in this moment i've Thor's Hammer EP..not bad but growl i hate growl

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:58 am 

Titenis wrote:
kyuss is rock oriented..if i'm not wrong..Electric Wizard seems more extreme and not simply stoner rock..
there's too groove in kyuss music..Electric Wizard no..
what do you think?

Electric Wizard has groove oriented harder rocking compositions as well such as this:

On the contrary Kyuss has written heavier monolithic sounding tunes such as this:

Quality bands tend to try different things and evolve. Stagnancy sucks dude.

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:50 am 

doomster you are very competent and i thank you for making me discover Reverend Bizarre..
I've purchased immediately a copy of In the rectory of

Talking about doom or proto doom of the late 70 i wanna ask you if you have never heard a band from my country DEATH SS
In particular this release

it is a compilation of early demo and live recordings between 1977 and 1984..Band has a certain reputation here in Italy because of Paul Chain and we can say they have assumed the status of cult band..
I think the music is a mix of
Horror rock ala Alice Cooper
NWOBHM influence and evilness of early Hellhammer/Celtic Frost for the 83/84 tracks..
nevertheless doom element is present someway..
What do you think about this band?

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:10 am 

I've never bothered to check out Death SS. Probably because of the shock and cheese factor of the band which is something I'm not really into. As far as Italian doom goes I'm definitely a big fan of Paul Chain's solo material, Abysmal Grief and newer bands like The Foreshadowing (gothic/doom) and Krownn.

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:31 am 

Paul Chain is a very talent guitar player but for me his music is too dispersive..If you take Paul Chain Violet Theatre monicker in my opinion only the first EP is good..for me he made overrated stuff amongst good and excellent as well..very controversial artist..
his music is a mess of doom of the 70,psych guitar of th 70,krautrock,church organ music,heavy metal and space rock..I think is derivative on every album he made..
What album do you like more of his huge discography?

doomster999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:21 am 

Definitely Alkahest is the record I like the most. The guitar tone on that record is absolutely towering and it features Lee Dorrian as guest vocalist which is a bonus. Park of Reason and Life and Death are quite brilliant as well. He has never done anything mediocre in my opinion.

Last.fm

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:51 pm 

doomster have you saint vitus original cd?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:51 pm 

Titenis, please try to improve your grammar.

I've been digging this, the vocals aren't quite strong but the riffs are solid. Much better than their 2010 EP. Free download so check it out!
http://aeonaphelion.bandcamp.com/album/ ... ning-aeons

There's also the new Acolythes of Moros EP that Doomsday sent me, pretty cool slow trad doom, some of the songs are just too long though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 133  Next