Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:24 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Popping in not to request a rec but rather to just bring attention to an album that most of you probably haven't heard of (yes, even STORMM :o ) -- Heulend Horn - Fragments from the 13th Century. This Argentinian one-man project is the creation of a guy with a separate symphonic dungeon synth band called Mitternacht, and you can hear the influence of that sound in the harmonic/melodic choices on show in this medieval-tinged slab of imaginative, pagan-y black metal. This basically sounds like a more compositionally creative Graveland, with that same grim chainmail vibe, but it's a more varied experience that manages to avoid the monotonous feeling that one sometimes gets from Darken's works. A really nice blend of dark, cold riffwork with ancient instrumental/symphonic narrative passages, medieval-ish interludes, all quite tastefully done despite some noticeable production limitations. Interesting find! Definitely recommended for fans of Graveland or the recent Emyn Muil debut, or just anyone looking for black metal that evokes an unusual, shadowy medieval atmosphere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53YJzj3O2E

both Mitternacht and Heulend Horn sound quite promising from your description. Will check both out.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:34 pm 

Oh, the new Urfaust single is simply amazing:

There is no band around like Urfaust.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 pm 

A request conceived partially out of curiosity... I want huge, gigantic, epic black metal albums - like, the bigger and more monumental, the better - however I want them to fit these two criteria:

1. It can't be driven by symphonics of any sort. If it has orchestral synths, they need to be subtle, but nonexistent would be preferred. If anything, the layers should be formed by loads of (possibly reverb-drenched) guitar tracks and leads.
2. Nothing too slow. I don't want a black/funeral doom hybrid. If it keeps a fast pace throughout and its slower sections are essentially mid-paced, that'd be great.

Oh! and one more thing - I don't necessarily want "medieval"-styled epic-feeling bands. I mean, I wouldn't mind them, but I primarily just want bands that have an absurd amount of space and presence without using symphonics or slow, doomy tempos.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:18 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
A request conceived partially out of curiosity... I want huge, gigantic, epic black metal albums - like, the bigger and more monumental, the better - however I want them to fit these two criteria:

1. It can't be driven by symphonics of any sort. If it has orchestral synths, they need to be subtle, but nonexistent would be preferred. If anything, the layers should be formed by loads of (possibly reverb-drenched) guitar tracks and leads.
2. Nothing too slow. I don't want a black/funeral doom hybrid. If it keeps a fast pace throughout and its slower sections are essentially mid-paced, that'd be great.

Oh! and one more thing - I don't necessarily want "medieval"-styled epic-feeling bands. I mean, I wouldn't mind them, but I primarily just want bands that have an absurd amount of space and presence without using symphonics or slow, doomy tempos.

Like the first 20 seconds of this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifQgyZloOIc

I really wish there where more like it, but I suppose that's where I come in.

One thing that comes to mind along with "epic" Black Metal is probably Paragon Impure's To Gaius. The way the music fits into the context of its narrative is brilliant, the music actually defines what is going on in the theme, which to me, puts it above a lot of bands. Like older Black Metal the album itself is like a journey or a tale. Might not be too epic on a purely musical level though there are some great tragic melodies.

Here's Part II, best listened to the whole way through, because again, at first its not musically striking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEXAMu2oDkc

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:02 am 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:

One thing that comes to mind along with "epic" Black Metal is probably Paragon Impure's To Gaius. The way the music fits into the context of its narrative is brilliant, the music actually defines what is going on in the theme, which to me, puts it above a lot of bands. Like older Black Metal the album itself is like a journey or a tale. Might not be too epic on a purely musical level though there are some great tragic melodies.

Here's Part II, best listened to the whole way through, because again, at first its not musically striking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEXAMu2oDkc

Hmm... neither are these are exactly what I'm looking for. They don't feel like their music takes up a lot of space - it feels relatively insular and self-contained. Maybe it'd be better if I linked a couple examples?

I want huge albums. Stuff that'll hit me with the intensity of a massive wall of speakers even when it's blasting out of some cheap-ass Apple earbuds.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:44 am 

Wow, that Odz Manouk track is excellent.
I suspect you may be aware of the albums I'm going to recomend but you may not so here goes;

Blut Aus Nord- The Mystical Beast of Rebellion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI3k0JLQocE

Marduk- Wormwood.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSskxwnpgnE

And some wild cards;

The Berzerker- Animosity. It's not black metal but it does have the massivness and the intensity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AEjwDxBZvU

Darkspace- Dark Space III.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwt_UjLPrk

I want to recommend Cosmosophy by Blut Ans Nord aswell cause it has "an absurd amount of space and presence" but I guess the tempo would be too slow.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:22 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Lord Tempestuous wrote:

Hmm... neither are these are exactly what I'm looking for. They don't feel like their music takes up a lot of space - it feels relatively insular and self-contained. Maybe it'd be better if I linked a couple examples?

I want huge albums. Stuff that'll hit me with the intensity of a massive wall of speakers even when it's blasting out of some cheap-ass Apple earbuds.

I wouldn't necessarily say that these are so extremely massive.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:35 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Regardless, you get the vibes I'm looking for at this point, right? That N.K.V.D. track has like 500 guitar tracks that all combine into a gigantic wall of sound, and the Odz Manouk track has a huge undercurrent of bass that gives it a very strong sense of depth. Both of them have heavy reverb, large guitar tones, the sense of a lot going on, and the feeling that a journey has been completed by the time the track ends.

Amosofnlm (Jesus Christ, where does your username even come from? :scratch:), I'm familiar with Wormwood and, to an extent, Animosity and Dark Space III, but I don't really think they're what I'm looking for. Still, I'll check out that BAN EP later today once I get some free time.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:48 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

I too look for a similar style of black metal to this, and have been for a while now.
In terms of being sonically "massive" or deep (in the Angelic Process sense of the word) I'd check out:

(From 1:00 onwards especially)

(From 5:30 onwards especially)

I dunno if it's what you're looking for songwriting-wise, but certainly production-wise it should hopefully fit your criteria.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

Hmmm, give Finster a whirl, they are Alrakis's main band so that alone should sort out the space atmosphere! Would not class them as reverb drenched but I think the rest should tick the boxes, the debut is an excellent and very solid release.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:09 pm 

Could anybody suggest me a "feminist" black metal (in musical definition)? Currently running crazy with feminist things.

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 pm 

I'm looking for black metal songs of this type. I want to throw away all the "that's not real/good BM" and whatnot. I really don't care.

Notice how the song's drumming is fairly gentle and you can hardly hear it at times. The vocals are high-pitched, demon-like
shrieks, and the main musical focus is on the a evil sounding main riff.

I liked this song by Dark Funeral, then explored a few of their songs and couldn't stand the drumming. When the blast gets too overused
or too fast, it makes it impossible for the song to create any sort of atmosphere and focus on the guitar (IMHO).

Example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNzZygAjJY [/youtube]

Unnecessary explanation/rambling;

I need songs like these. I'll be honest. Black metal is probably my least favourite genre, I wouldn't call myself an avid listener of it at all.
Just once in a blue moon I may come across a black metal song that I like and then explore the band further only to find more noisy obnoxious bullshit. I probably have only 7 black metal songs in my entire metal library.
I realize that, when it comes to black metal, I only like songs... not bands. I only like a few songs here and there by a particular band but can't say I like the band as I don't
appreciate the majority of their music.
I apologize if I offend anyone, this is only my opinion.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:53 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Regardless, you get the vibes I'm looking for at this point, right? That N.K.V.D. track has like 500 guitar tracks that all combine into a gigantic wall of sound, and the Odz Manouk track has a huge undercurrent of bass that gives it a very strong sense of depth. Both of them have heavy reverb, large guitar tones, the sense of a lot going on, and the feeling that a journey has been completed by the time the track ends.

Amosofnlm (Jesus Christ, where does your username even come from? :scratch:), I'm familiar with Wormwood and, to an extent, Animosity and Dark Space III, but I don't really think they're what I'm looking for. Still, I'll check out that BAN EP later today once I get some free time.

I'm very sorry, but if they actually recorded 500 guitar tracks that all combine into one gigantic wall of found (they obviously didn't record 500), I'm surprised how random it sounds.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:15 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm very sorry, but if they actually recorded 500 guitar tracks that all combine into one gigantic wall of found (they obviously didn't record 500), I'm surprised how random it sounds.

"500 guitar tracks" was obviously hyperbole, and I don't know what you mean by "how random it sounds". :???: Doesn't really sound random to me? It's just a military-paced riff, it's syncopated a bit but there's an obvious sequence to it.

Anyways, yeah, thanks for the links, guys! I'll check them all out later. :)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:26 pm 

taufan99 wrote:
Could anybody suggest me a "feminist" black metal (in musical definition)? Currently running crazy with feminist things.

Book of Sand.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Boo ... 3540302780

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:53 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

I have a couple perfect for you:

Ascension - Sin Harvest

Ascension - Consolamentum

Both of these tracks are from the demo and album respectively, and I feel fit your request to the letter. Both in my opinion are stunning records (apologies for the YT quality of them though, they're rather crap).

Katharsis - Sinn Koronation

Epic, raw, red-eyed and bleeding. Layer upon layer of darkness... A personal favourite of mine, though it may be a touch too doomy for you... Stick around for utterly amazing finale too.

Nagelfar - Kapitel drei, der Herbst: Endzeit

Without question for mine, a near flawless, epically constructed album.

Infestus - Der Blick hinaus

One of my favourite German black metal albums ever. Bleak, epic majesty.

My collection

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Thanks, this is also exactly what I'm looking for! Not only it is feminist, but it is also experimental!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:37 am 

Okay, here's what I think of the stuff linked so far:

Blut aus Nord: this song is a lot faster than the BAN I've heard to date (that would be the first two of the 777 trilogy). I feel like the only thing that could improve it, production-wise, would be for the the guitars to not be so fuzzy and to have a bit more definition in the strumming... or is that just the shitty YouTube quality fucking me over? Either way, I like the riffing style and the production's close enough. This one's a keeper.

Ascension: this isn't really the kind of black metal I enjoy listening to, riff/melody-wise (stuff that sounds dreadful and terrorizing wears a bit thin on me, I'm afraid), but the production's good on the demo and perfect on the full-length. I'll be coming back to this at some point.

Dekadent: ...wow. :o This isn't exactly what I was looking for when I asked, but really, it's even better than what I expected to find. Huge, vibrant sound with a lot going on, relatively dense production, a riffing style that I looooooove (the similarity to Lykathea Aflame at times is not lost on me of all people :nods:), and a sense of energy and zeal that I rarely ever hear. I guess it's not really as raw and outright "huge" as I was hoping it to be based on my request, but it appeals to my tastes beyond that anyways. Not only is this amazing, this sounds like something that could very well grow to become one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm calling it here and now.

So, uh, time to listen to the other bands, I guess...

Dawn: This is great as well! I have a friend who masturbates to these guys furiously and because of that I put off actually listening to them, but now that I'm listening to them I can see why he regards them so highly. The riffs aren't too bad for relatively sadguy-type riffs - they're very active and actually feel majestic (which I feel this general style fails at more often than not). I also like the low presence of the drums in the mix (it reminds me of Odz Manouk) and the reverb slathered on the vocals. It also has synths that aren't getting in the way of things! Good stuff, overall. :D

Black Lotus: This one's a biiiiit synth-heavy, but I feel like it still captures the general mood I was looking for. I don't really like those clean vocals - is the entire album full of them? They kind of take me out of the mood for this band in particular - I like the clean vocals in stuff like Odz Manouk but that's because those are low-presence, ominous chants as opposed to lead vocals taking the forefront of the mix. I think I might have to pass on this one, but it's not bad.

The Great Old Ones: This is... odd. Sounds a lot more Cascadian than the other stuff you've linked, which I have no inherent problem with, but I feel like Cascadian-styled BM has a totally different vibe from what I'm looking for. Still, I've been looking for more Cascadian bands with a lot of speedy parts and a beautiful sense of flow (not to mention an aversion towards devolving into minimalistic post-rock/folk), so I'll keep note of this. The part you mentioned, 5:30 and onward, sounds beautiful - I love the feeling of "ascension" in the riff there. Not exactly what I'm looking for but still cool.

Finster: This is basically what I'm looking for production-wise, but I'm not a very big fan of their riffs. It feels to me like they do a bunch of grandiose swooping and shrieking with their guitars but it never really goes anywhere that I really like. The only part of this I really like is the first slowed-down riff, which reminds me of I Shalt Become. I'll just chalk it up to the band not being my thing in terms of melodies used and whatnot.

It's getting late, so I'll check out the rest of the bands tomorrow.

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:06 pm 

taufan99 wrote:

That's an interesting request. I sent you a PM, be sure to check it out.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:38 pm 

asterix645 wrote:
That's an interesting request. I sent you a PM, be sure to check it out.

If you're hiding a feminist black metal band colour me interested. :P

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 pm 

Yo... feminist black metal? I gotta get in on that.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:23 pm 

Really? Are these parody bands?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:44 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Dekadent: ...wow. :o This isn't exactly what I was looking for when I asked, but really, it's even better than what I expected to find. Huge, vibrant sound with a lot going on, relatively dense production, a riffing style that I looooooove (the similarity to Lykathea Aflame at times is not lost on me of all people :nods:), and a sense of energy and zeal that I rarely ever hear. I guess it's not really as raw and outright "huge" as I was hoping it to be based on my request, but it appeals to my tastes beyond that anyways. Not only is this amazing, this sounds like something that could very well grow to become one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm calling it here and now.

I've never heard of these guys, and I'm surprised based on the quality of the track posted! The riffing is very ascendant and powerful, almost like riding a wave. This is giving me a definite SYL/Devin Townsend vibe, which is probably why I like it so much. Thanks to Syntek for posting it!

SleepyCoffeeDrinker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:43 am 

Spoiler: show

Hi. I'm looking for recommendations based off my top 100 albums. I'm just looking for really good black metal, nothing in particular. If you only see one album from an artist, odds are I don't need more recommendations from the same artist because I purposefully only put one album from each artist on the chart. Hopefully you find something on the chart that's interesting as well. It's really mostly well known stuff though.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:28 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Hmmm, give Finster a whirl, they are Alrakis's main band so that alone should sort out the space atmosphere! Would not class them as reverb drenched but I think the rest should tick the boxes, the debut is an excellent and very solid release.

This fucking rules. I love Alrakis and this album comes off like a more active version of Alpha Eri. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:14 pm 

Mutantclannfear: You need BAN's Memoria Vetusta I & II and Ultima Thulée. Incredibly epic and mythic albums that tear the heads off 99.8% of any other black metal one could name. Paysage d'Hiver's Winterkalte and all of Darkspace's albums are also incredibly massive and engulfing. I know you're not looking for slow material, but Elysian Blaze's Blood Geometry is pretty much the definition of epic and gigantic, and I highly recommend you check it out whenever you feel you can stomach some heavy doom influences.

You should also look into Spectral Lore's Sentinel and Sol, his split with Mare Cognitum.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:28 am 

SleepyCoffeeDrinker: You aren't going to get recommendations like that. Are you expecting people to actually tailor a recommendation for you based on a huge list of albums you enjoy? You should've read this more carefully.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:11 pm 

Finster, Dekadent and Odz Manouk sound very promising, never heard any of them before. I will have to check out more of their stuff as well as some of the other bands you guys have been mentioning on this last page. Thanks! Also Dawn - Slaughtersun is great but too bad they haven't done anything in 15 years.

SleepyCoffeeDrinker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:47 pm 

I'll try to be more specific this time. May i have recommendations for extremely rotten and violent sounding black metal in the vein of mutiilation and black funeral - vampyr - throne of the beast?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:30 pm 

Anything like the album Battles in the North by Immortal? Thanks in advance.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Nehemah try their best to emulate Immortal in this song- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7TovD7voQo

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:09 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Yup:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

Hey guys, i'd like some fairly easy-to-play black metal, kind of like War by Burzum, or the Deathcrush album by Mayhem. You know, slightly thrashy etc. Thanks in advamce.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:07 pm 

MutantClannfear: You might want to check out Vetter, if you don't know it yet. It has a feel to it that I'd describe as impressive,(without taking a stand on its quality or ability to impress as such).

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:57 pm 

I've discovered early Thorns Demo
in particular i'm looking for something similar to

Only Bass and Guitar stuff with no vocals and only from the early 90 period and not contemporary

I like this cold and scary tune of the guitar playing
Primitive and pure black metal minimalist a true triumph of evilness and creeping..

Is this the epitome of Black metal made in Norway?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:18 pm 

Titenis wrote:
I've discovered early Thorns Demo
in particular i'm looking for something similar to

Only Bass and Guitar stuff with no vocals and only from the early 90 period and not contemporary

I like this cold and scary tune of the guitar playing
Primitive and pure black metal minimalist a true triumph of evilness and creeping..

Is this the epitome of Black metal made in Norway?

Titenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:23 pm 

obviously Burzum is my first option..nothing else?i'm not very competent in black metal music...ask to expert in this thread is the best solution..no french stuff of legions noirs i don't like

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm 

Well I've heard of a norwegian band called "Organ:" that supposedly played instrumental songs, try checking them out. (never heard them so don't quote me on this)

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some bands/albums that sound like Minas Morgul's The Dark Age of Revilation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMWM5foISa4

Also, I'd love to find more bands that sound like Mysteriarch's The Majestic Fall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpBaqDPjf9s

Last edited by VariedTastes on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:19 pm 

SleepyCoffeeDrinker wrote:
I'll try to be more specific this time. May i have recommendations for extremely rotten and violent sounding black metal in the vein of mutiilation and black funeral - vampyr - throne of the beast?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 231  Next