Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:45 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Anybody heard the new Atlantean Kodex? I thought the debut was a bit of a disappointment, but so far this one might be better.

I really like it. I didn't worship the debut, but this one plays up their strengths extraordinarily. It listens like a pastiche of Fates Warning's Awaken the Guardian and the best of every Manilla Road era. Pretty crazy. Not sure if it's as good as that makes it sound, but it's really incredible either way.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:51 pm 

shouvince wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:
Accidentally stumbled across this band yesterday:

Spoiler: show

Fuckin' bonkers speed metal. I love how the vocalist has this rough but tuneful yelp that hovers just on the edge of losing his shit, haha. RIFTS.

Hot damn, that was fast and delicious! Gonna check out their other material now :headbang:

Yeah, iamntbatman and I were gawking over them in the chat the other day. Just amazingly good quality stuff for an unknown band. I love that they're basically 100% traditional speed metal, and stick to doing that as well as they can with no frills. And they do it very well indeed. :)

Nahsil wrote:
ALSO, god damn fuck shit, I really want to see this Vicious Rumors/Leatherwolf/Seven Witches tour coming to Houston next week but I think I'll be working. Maybe I can figure something out.

FYI I'm pretty sure Leatherwolf pulled out of all dates.

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:51 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Anybody heard the new Atlantean Kodex? I thought the debut was a bit of a disappointment, but so far this one might be better.

Yeah, the new Atlantean Kodex is really cool. A lot more to the point than their first one, the songs feel more energetic and better written. I still dig the first one, but The White Goddess is a real step up.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:11 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Nahsil wrote:
ALSO, god damn fuck shit, I really want to see this Vicious Rumors/Leatherwolf/Seven Witches tour coming to Houston next week but I think I'll be working. Maybe I can figure something out.

FYI I'm pretty sure Leatherwolf pulled out of all dates.

Brian Allen is out of Vicious Rumors now, apparently. They've apparently replaced him with some young Dutch dude.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:09 am 

failsafeman wrote:
shouvince wrote:
Hot damn, that was fast and delicious! Gonna check out their other material now :headbang:

Yeah, iamntbatman and I were gawking over them in the chat the other day. Just amazingly good quality stuff for an unknown band. I love that they're basically 100% traditional speed metal, and stick to doing that as well as they can with no frills. And they do it very well indeed. :)

They're really good and I was reminded of the first time I heard Stallion. Check out this song called 'Out of time, out of line'. It has a strong rock n' roll vibe with quite a terrific solo.

Last edited by shouvince on Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am 

Taken from Virgin Steele's offical facebook:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Cheers & Hail to you ALL!

THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN & HELL PART 1, THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN & HELL PART II, and INVICTUS, will be the next 3 re-issues presented. They will be released in both CD format & in Vinyl versions. The two “Marriage” discs will be released together in one package with bonus tracks included. Invictus will also be released as a two disc CD set. The second disc wil...l contain 19 new recordings, (yes that is correct)… new recordings that were completed these past few months. More details about all these various discs and their contents will begin to be presented next week. The release of all has been confirmed by the Group’s label, for February. In addition, the next single-standing new album will follow all of the above 6 months later.

Thanks & all the very best…BY THE HAMMER OF ZEUS,

VS HOME OFFICE

Mark

19 new songs on the second Invictus disc? :eek: Looks awesome to me!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:11 am 

Man, a new Manilla Road album is apparently slated for Q1 2014...and they already have 4 tracks for the second Hellwell album recorded. Mark Shelton is a busy guy.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 am 

Guys, I just remembered that, a long time ago, someone mentioned in this thread a band that sounded essentially like Running Wild with harsh vocals. Does any of you know what I'm talking about? Because I remember them being quite cool.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 am 

Brimstone?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:11 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
Brimstone?

Yes! Brimstone. Thanks. For anyone who hasn't listened to them yet, here:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:21 pm 

What a stupid idea. If you're going to ape Running Wild, just get a damn singer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 pm 

Yup, no reason to have harsh vocals in a band like that. Would sound much cooler with a real singer.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:59 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Man, a new Manilla Road album is apparently slated for Q1 2014...and they already have 4 tracks for the second Hellwell album recorded. Mark Shelton is a busy guy.

Can't fucking wait.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:30 pm 

failsafeman wrote:

Jesus Christ. Do they ever sleep?

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
What a stupid idea. If you're going to ape Running Wild, just get a damn singer.

Empyreal wrote:
Yup, no reason to have harsh vocals in a band like that. Would sound much cooler with a real singer.

Wow, I did not expect you guys to dislike them so much. I mean, it's not like the vocals and the music clash in an irreconcilable way.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 am 

Um, that's exactly what it's like. At least for me.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 am 

Eh, I don't know. The music is aggressive enough that that I don't mind the harsh vocals. I mean, it's not like they're on top of some Queensryche style shit :lol:

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

Agreed, the vocals don't go well. Very few heavy/power type bands can pull off harsh vocals and not sound like complete shit. Can't actually think of any bands at all, in fact, unless you count melodic death metal, which is often power metal-ish riffs with growls over them, such as Insomnium.

Also, anything sounds bad on top of Queensryche-styled shit, especially Geoff Tate. :nods:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 pm 

I was listening to the new Coven 13, pretty mediocre and terrible stuff. I stopped it after 4 or 5 songs. I might review it if I find the time. Avoid!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:45 pm 

Speaking of Running Wild-esque stuff, anyone knows the name of this Italian heavy/speed metal band musically similiar to Running Wild with gruff, almost David DeFeis-esque vocals? I'm not sure if I talked about them here once or not. They've only had an EP out so far that has the artwork of a flag with a skull on it I think, and it's pretty recent stuff. To be exact I think it came out in 2011.

EDIT: it's True Believers. People might enjoy them here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsrlZ4Drp-w

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 pm 

Does anybody have the recent Skol reissue of Burning Starr "No Turning Back" and can tell me how does it compare in terms of remastering to the 1998 Sentinel Steel issue? Wondering if I should replace my old CD with the new reissue. Supposedly the Skol issue is remastered and all but I really doubt it's a significant difference. Still - would like to know.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:57 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Perdition666 wrote:
Brimstone?

Yes! Brimstone. Thanks. For anyone who hasn't listened to them yet, here:

That riff was good for about four times, then it started to be REALLY repetitive

Otherwise I think the vocals wasn't really helping the song either

Could have been good with more variation and energy and at least tonal vocals, it could be harsch and tonal

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:04 am 

colin040 wrote:
Taken from Virgin Steele's offical facebook:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Cheers & Hail to you ALL!

THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN & HELL PART 1, THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN & HELL PART II, and INVICTUS, will be the next 3 re-issues presented. They will be released in both CD format & in Vinyl versions. The two “Marriage” discs will be released together in one package with bonus tracks included. Invictus will also be released as a two disc CD set. The second disc wil...l contain 19 new recordings, (yes that is correct)… new recordings that were completed these past few months. More details about all these various discs and their contents will begin to be presented next week. The release of all has been confirmed by the Group’s label, for February. In addition, the next single-standing new album will follow all of the above 6 months later.

Thanks & all the very best…BY THE HAMMER OF ZEUS,

VS HOME OFFICE

Mark

19 new songs on the second Invictus disc? :eek: Looks awesome to me!

Really bad timing on my part, I just ordered a used copy of Invictus. Oh well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:26 am 

Invictus is great as is. 19 songs is just overkill; who would even care about that? It's near perfect as is.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 am 

I don't really mind it. If it's a way for them to release new songs why not. 19 songs is a lot, yeah, but considering it will take an entire disk we'll probably get to hear real songs instead of story telling shit. Now a new album in 2014 is stil far away but I guess we could all expect such a new album to come later than the band wanted. I just hope that will be worth the wait.

EDIT: A thing I definitely wonder is how many songs must Virgin Steele have yet to release at this very damn point?! Apparently Visions of Eden was suppose to be a 3 disc album...now they have 3 upcoming albums and the upcoming reiusses will have new material that part of it are recordings of the last couple of months. :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:51 am 

It's ridiculous, they seem to have no concept of songwriting economy anymore...they could just release those songs on a bonus disc or, even better, just a new album. The original albums were fine, and already really long as is. No need to have so many extra songs tacked on. I think I'll just stick to the originals. ;)

edit: OK so they are on a separate disc, never mind. Either way, seems like kind of overkill.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:26 pm 

Been listening more to Metal Church's Hanging in the Balance the last couple of days. Such an incredible album. Can't say I love every track on that album (some are a bit weaker than others) but it's still very good in its own right. Definitely my second favourite after Blessing in Disguise which I consider to be Metal Church at their very best. Love how these riffs are made up simple yet very effective riffs.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Invictus is great as is. 19 songs is just overkill; who would even care about that? It's near perfect as is.

Um, me? That's the point of these reissues, they include an extra disc with fucking shitloads of cut tracks, different takes, live versions, etc. It's not meant to replace the original album, it just adds an appendix of sorts. If you just like the album and aren't that much of a Virgin Steele fanboy, stick with what you have. If you want to hear every bit of music they recorded, buy the reissue. So far I only have the Noble Savage reissue, but it was very much worth it, and I'm going to look into picking up the others.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:38 pm 

Fair enough, I thought it was going to be like the Age of Consent one where the new tracks and what not are blended into the album - I never really liked that format. If it's a separate disc, which I see it is now, then yeah, I can totally see why huge fans would like it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 am 

That RW band with harsh vocals reminds me of Mithotyn. Melodic viking/power/whatever with harsh vocals. They kinda suck.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:52 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Fair enough, I thought it was going to be like the Age of Consent one where the new tracks and what not are blended into the album - I never really liked that format. If it's a separate disc, which I see it is now, then yeah, I can totally see why huge fans would like it.

I think it depends on whether the material is actually worth releasing or not. Usually if a song was cut, there was a reason behind. Given the quantity of the songs though, I would like to think it was simply because of distributor restrictions or something like that. But I agree adding songs back into a project is usually not a good idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MetM68Lr9U8.

Anyway I've been meaning to purchase some Virgin Steele albums, I bought Invictus since I heard the song "Veni, Vidi, Vici" on YouTube. What would be 2 or 3 albums that would be good to start with?

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:22 pm 

Marriage II and Atreus I. If you want a third, go for Marriage I. All tier one USPM easily.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 pm 

Nah you guys are dumb. That Brimstone album is great and the harsh vocals work really well I think.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:31 am 

Yep, that brimstone album sure is awesome. There are plenty of lovely vocalists out there with amazing, serene voices to get hard on so why complain about one band who wanted to be a bit different? Well for the guys who like them, According to their facebook they are busy working on a new album :hyper:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:48 pm 

Dude, I found this Japanese band called Loudness today, they are from the 80s, they are amazing. Who else loves them? Feel free to suggest similar bands, however I picked the similar artist pages pretty clean :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:12 am 

You might like the Japanese band Anthem.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:12 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
Dude, I found this Japanese band called Loudness today, they are from the 80s, they are amazing. Who else loves them? Feel free to suggest similar bands, however I picked the similar artist pages pretty clean :P

Which era ? They changed their sound quite a bit over the years.
I'm myself partial to the early sleazy sounding metal of Rock N Roll Crazy Nights.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 am 

Let's see, I listened to the first three albums yesterday I think, so the 80s period.

To the above poster who mentioned Anthem, I'm aware of them! Haven't listened yet though. Found them yesterday as well. :P

Thanks guys!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:04 pm 

You just discovered Loudness? And you'd heard of Anthem already? :scratch:

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:05 pm 

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :P

Another good heavy/trad band I heard today was Witch Cross. HHR carries Fit for Fight on CD, hopefully I'll be ordering it relatively soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 408, 409, 410, 411, 412, 413, 414 ... 624  Next