Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:24 pm 

Hello! I've launched a couple of days ago a website for Hardcore, Metalcore, Deathcore, Post-Hardcore bands, to grow the largest Hardcore Database. Please contribute, if you are interested.

I've spent about 1.5 years on developing it in my free time. Now I want to share it with people and I wrote here.
People earn achievements with cartoon musicians for the activities they do. You can also rate albums you've listened to and so on.

Please share it with your friends if you like it, let's grow the Hardcore Community together!

Thank you for your interest and support!

http://hardcore-database.com
https://www.facebook.com/hardcore.database
https://plus.google.com/106042377617293817964
https://twitter.com/hcdatabase

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:53 pm 

Interesting, I know a couple people have been talking about something like this for a while. I have a fair amount of uncommon/rare New England metalcore/hardcore in my collection, I'll add that as I hopefully organize my collection in the near future.

If you have any questions that could be aided with the help of someone with experience moderating a database like MA, feel free to ask me. I'm registered with the same username.

edit: The first things I noticed while using the site:
-The requirements for submission are unclear. Does a short CD (<20m) qualify as an album? A 7"?
-There is nowhere to list a band's genre nor discography while submitting them. Is the "notes" field for submission notes or additional notes on the band?

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thank for your support! I will ask you!

-Doesn't a short CD mean an EP? Or an EP is not an album? What do you mean? (Please explain me, probably I'm not so experienced)
-No, genres are connected to bands via their albums only. The Notes field is for Submission Notes (as today).

I am improving the Hardcore Database genres right now.
I'm mailing with HyddenSceptre (he's a moderator here, is already a moderator on HD), I'm not so deep into old Hardcore and he is helping me.

Thank you for the idea to develop the possibility to add Collections!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 pm 

For those who don't know, HyddenSceptre is my pseudonym there. I like this idea so I'm going to do what I can to make this site work, though there are some definite steps that need to be taken still.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:31 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
For those who don't know, HyddenSceptre is my pseudonym there. I like this idea so I'm going to do what I can to make this site work, though there are some definite steps that need to be taken still.

As you already noticed, I want to improve it. No, not just to improve, to develop!

Please let me guys know about everything you want me to improve/develop.

Probably I need to replace the word Album with Release everywhere! What do you think?

I'm not a native English speaker, if you see some mistakes on the website, tell me please.

edit: One more think I understood is that I need to write more detailed Help page.

Last edited by Hypno on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hypno wrote:
-Doesn't a short CD mean an EP? Or an EP is not an album? What do you mean? (Please explain me, probably I'm not so experienced)

EPs are not albums, no. EPs can generally mean either a 7" vinyl record (which can usually hold around 14 minutes of music, and therefore isn't really a full album - however, hardcore bands release music on these frequently so I would suggest making an exception for these), or a release (on any format - tape, vinyl, CD, etc.) that the band considers to be shorter or less substantial than a full-length album. There's no hard-set definition for what constitutes an "EP" (even 7" vinyl records are sometimes marketed as "singles"), so it's entirely up to the band as to what one is.

Also, are you considering adding other -core genres to your database? Mathcore, screamo, powerviolence, grindcore, etc?

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:47 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Hypno wrote:

EPs are not albums, no. EPs can generally mean either a 7" vinyl record (which can usually hold around 14 minutes of music, and therefore isn't really a full album - however, hardcore bands release music on these frequently so I would suggest making an exception for these), or a release (on any format - tape, vinyl, CD, etc.) that the band considers to be shorter or less substantial than a full-length album. There's no hard-set definition for what constitutes an "EP" (even 7" vinyl records are sometimes marketed as "singles"), so it's entirely up to the band as to what one is.

Also, are you considering adding other -core genres to your database? Mathcore, screamo, powerviolence, grindcore, etc?

Why not! I can add them right now, I'm just waiting for HyddenSceptre to help me out how to list them correctly. You can help me if you want, he is at work right now.

If you tried to submit a release, you saw the genres list. What do you think I need to add? I don't want to have vague genres. Or genres like Emocore which doesn't really exist.

edit: As you can see, you can choose the option Metalcore->Math, is that correct or you think we need Mathcore as extra genre?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:54 pm 

Well, you'll definitely want mathcore, screamo, and powerviolence.

Things you might want to discuss with other people to decide if they fit in:
- grindcore
- crust punk
- emo
- rapcore
- crossover thrash (but on the more "hardcore side" of it)
- sludge metal (same as crossover thrash)

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:05 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:

- grindcore
- crust punk
- emo
- rapcore

So the Metalcore->Math is not good for Mathcore? I did that because Mathcore is a subgenre of Metalcore.

Do we need the Hardcore Punk as genre? I've added it as HyddenSceptre suggested, to divide from that what today's hardcore is.

I'm sorry if I ask to many questions, but that's very important for me and I want to know what you think.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:10 pm 

Hypno wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:

- grindcore
- crust punk
- emo
- rapcore

So the Metalcore->Math is not good for Mathcore? I did that because Mathcore is a subgenre of Metalcore.

Do we need the Hardcore Punk as genre? I've added it as HyddenSceptre suggested, to divide from that what today's hardcore is.

I'm sorry if I ask to many questions, but that's very important for me and I want to know what you think.

Oh, wait, I didn't see the subsections for metalcore, my apologies. Eh... I'm not sure, honestly. I feel like mathcore is pretty distinct from metalcore in places (for example, Daughters and See You Next Tuesday have little to no "metalcore"), so I'd go with a weak yes.

It might be better for the genre to just be a field that you can fill in, rather than a list of genres that you have to select from a list. What if you have a band who only plays hardcore on one album? You'd need to include the other, non-hardcore genres in the genre field as well, so people know that there are some hardcore parts in the band's discography and some non-hardcore parts.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm 

I'm going to add other genres needed for that and when somebody will choose non-hardcore genres, under select box will appear a message in red which says: You can choose this genre only if band has some Hardcore Releases.
And that's how I think to fix it. What do you think?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:23 pm 

Hypno wrote:
I'm going to other genres needed for that and when somebody will choose non-hardcore genres, under select box will appear a message in red which says: You can choose thi genre only if band has some Hardcore Releases.
And that's how I want to fix it. What do you think?

Hmm, could work! I mean, are you planning on adding *every single genre* that isn't hardcore? Or are you just going to add, like, "Other genres" as its own option? It might help if you added "Non-hardcore genres" or something like that, and then that pulls up a textbox where you can type in whatever genre you need to document. It'd keep you from having to list every possible genre combination in existence.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:30 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Hypno wrote:
I'm going to other genres needed for that and when somebody will choose non-hardcore genres, under select box will appear a message in red which says: You can choose thi genre only if band has some Hardcore Releases.
And that's how I want to fix it. What do you think?

Hmm, could work! I mean, are you planning on adding *every single genre* that isn't hardcore? Or are you just going to add, like, "Other genres" as its own option? It might help if you added "Non-hardcore genres" or something like that, and then that pulls up a textbox where you can type in whatever genre you need to document. It'd keep you from having to list every possible genre combination in existence.

That's a good way to fix it! Thank you for the idea!

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

I've added some more genres:

Powerviolence
Crust Punk
Thrashcore
Mathcore

Thinking/reading/listening about what else to add.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:52 pm 

A forum or some means of communication would be good.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
A forum or some means of communication would be good.

I will add a forum later, I'm going to add messages between users firstly.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm 

Zodijackyl, Why don't you add Pictures to the Items you submit? :(

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm 

Signed up for this. I follow the Christian metalcore scene and will try to do what I can to improve this. My username is AST.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 pm 

Welcome! Start submitting the bands you like!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:54 pm 

Hypno wrote:

There's no submission field to add pictures for albums nor bands. :P

A few things I've noticed so far:
-There should be a note when you submit a band to add an album immediately after you add the band.
-The date field goes backwards, so rather than using the 'tab' key to go through, I have to go backwards to enter in the month/day.
-After selecting a country and entering in a town, I hit 'tab' and it skips to the next line before opening up the "region/state" dropdown menu. Please make it so I can tab over to that field, and as states are a subdivision larger than towns but smaller than a country, allow that to be filled out. TBH a lot of the demos and oddities I have, I know what state they're from but don't know the town.

One of the areas that I'm uncertain of - when I don't have the tracklist of a release, but I know it was released. This isn't a common occurrence, but I remember a three-track demo by CT band "All Will End" very fondly, but the CD-Rs had stickers on them and did not stand the test of time. I'm looking for the audio among the friends who I know had them as that's one of the best demos of the New England metalcore scene, but somehow it has been lost to time, at a glance.

I also know A Thousand Falling Skies released a split with Nientara because I have their CD and the guy I bought it from (notable in his own right) wrote on a post-it for me that they also did a split with Nientara and another EP. I don't have the audio of the Nientara EP but I saw them with ATFS and Hatebreed IIRC. Is this sufficient? Most of my additions weren't done from home so I don't have all the stuff on hand, so I thought of a few notable things I have that are worthy of documenting, but I didn't have my collection on hand. I understand if you want to have a stricter standard, as of course I understand why we have the requirements we do on MA.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing, I'm tired and going to sleep now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:05 am 

I've brought up the pictures thing to Hypno, but for now it's actually under the "edit" tab AFTER you submit something. It's odd and should definitely be fixed, but that's how it's rolling for now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Hypno wrote:

There's no submission field to add pictures for albums nor bands. :P

A few things I've noticed so far:
-There should be a note when you submit a band to add an album immediately after you add the band.
-The date field goes backwards, so rather than using the 'tab' key to go through, I have to go backwards to enter in the month/day.
-After selecting a country and entering in a town, I hit 'tab' and it skips to the next line before opening up the "region/state" dropdown menu. Please make it so I can tab over to that field, and as states are a subdivision larger than towns but smaller than a country, allow that to be filled out. TBH a lot of the demos and oddities I have, I know what state they're from but don't know the town.

One of the areas that I'm uncertain of - when I don't have the tracklist of a release, but I know it was released. This isn't a common occurrence, but I remember a three-track demo by CT band "All Will End" very fondly, but the CD-Rs had stickers on them and did not stand the test of time. I'm looking for the audio among the friends who I know had them as that's one of the best demos of the New England metalcore scene, but somehow it has been lost to time, at a glance.

I also know A Thousand Falling Skies released a split with Nientara because I have their CD and the guy I bought it from (notable in his own right) wrote on a post-it for me that they also did a split with Nientara and another EP. I don't have the audio of the Nientara EP but I saw them with ATFS and Hatebreed IIRC. Is this sufficient? Most of my additions weren't done from home so I don't have all the stuff on hand, so I thought of a few notable things I have that are worthy of documenting, but I didn't have my collection on hand. I understand if you want to have a stricter standard, as of course I understand why we have the requirements we do on MA.

Apologies if this is a bit confusing, I'm tired and going to sleep now.

I'm going to fix all of this stuff, thank you! And I am going to add the field for pictures to the first step of submission.

I'm sorry if things are not so comfortable for now as you expected.

edit: I'm going to be offline for 6-7 hours, I have to go to work. I will improve some things after.

There is also a big bug on server, from my hosting providers. You can't submit pictures with apostrophes in their names.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:10 pm 

I've fixed everything from above, except the tabulation out from year.

TheHumanMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:34 pm 

A few questions. First, when submitting artists both a first and a last name are required. For a lot of artists, only the first name or even just a nickname is all the information out there. How should they be submitted? Also, I know of some splits that include some bands that would not fit on the Hardcore Database. In these instances, how should the split be submitted (should the bands that don't fit be not added and just mentioned in the notes, or something else)?

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm 

TheHumanMachine wrote:
A few questions. First, when submitting artists both a first and a last name are required. For a lot of artists, only the first name or even just a nickname is all the information out there. How should they be submitted? Also, I know of some splits that include some bands that would not fit on the Hardcore Database. In these instances, how should the split be submitted (should the bands that don't fit be not added and just mentioned in the notes, or something else)?

1) The First Name + Nickname mixture is also available, or just Nickname. If you know only First or Last name, submit it as Nickname.
2) Submit the second band as Other genre, I'm going to add later a textfield where you will be able to write the genre itself.

TheHumanMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:49 am 

Hypno wrote:
TheHumanMachine wrote:

1) The First Name + Nickname mixture is also available, or just Nickname. If you know only First or Last name, submit it as Nickname.
2) Submit the second band as Other genre, I'm going to add later a textfield where you will be able to write the genre itself.

Thanks.

For some reason, when I try to edit a band, album, etc everything is grayed out (I can see all the information, I just can't change anything). Also, it appears as though all of the user pages come up with a page not found error. Probably not related, but I figured still worth mentioning.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:27 pm 

TheHumanMachine wrote:
Thanks.

For some reason, when I try to edit a band, album, etc everything is grayed out (I can see all the information, I just can't change anything). Also, it appears as though all of the user pages come up with a page not found error. Probably not related, but I figured still worth mentioning.

I worked today on profiles, that's why you saw errors :) It's gone now.

If the item is approved you can't edit it anymore, only if you have enough points to do so. But you can Report any mistakes/updates.

TheHumanMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:12 pm 

Hypno wrote:
TheHumanMachine wrote:
Thanks.

I worked today on profiles, that's why you saw errors :) It's gone now.

If the item is approved you can't edit it anymore, only if you have enough points to do so. But you can Report any mistakes/updates.

Ah, I see. Another thing I've noticed is that when artists are added to a band's profile they are not automatically linked the the albums of the time period during which they were members. Is this going to be a future feature, or should artists be added for each album (sorry for all the questions)?

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm 

TheHumanMachine wrote:
Ah, I see. Another thing I've noticed is that when artists are added to a band's profile they are not automatically linked the the albums of the time period during which they were members. Is this going to be a future feature, or should artists be added for each album (sorry for all the questions)?

Artists have to be added to albums because there can be artists which didn't appear on any album, but have been in band.

edit: You can connect them to an album by editing it's Artists!

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 am 

Big changes I'm going to do next:

1) Add the possibility to append more genres to an album;
2) Add a text-field to fill in if Other genre is chosen;
3) Show all the genres on band's page;
4) Add Live Chat.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 am 

you might be best off to just start a irc channel + a mibbit applet.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
you might be best off to just start a irc channel + a mibbit applet.

Didn't knew about that! Thank you for advice! It's like 10000000 times faster to implement than writing your own! :)

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:38 pm 

I like the site. I've added some bands and albums, including some lesser known releases to more known bands. Would be cool if there were some reviews written.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:52 pm 

DarkWolfXV wrote:
I like the site. I've added some bands and albums, including some lesser known releases to more known bands. Would be cool if there were some reviews written.

Thank you for contribution! And yes, that will be very cool to see some reviews.
If you observe some bugs or you have some ideas, please let me know!

BTW, I've added the chat, if somebody wants to chat about hardcore/website, come on.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:14 am 

Pretty cool, about time a site like this is around. Btw I notice a glitch, when I try to add a photo to an album or band that I am submitting and the photo is too big, the submitting button disappears and doesn't come back even after I remove the pick and a little annoying due to having to start over.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:01 am 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
Pretty cool, about time a site like this is around. Btw I notice a glitch, when I try to add a photo to an album or band that I am submitting and the photo is too big, the submitting button disappears and doesn't come back even after I remove the pick and a little annoying due to having to start over.

Thank you for observing!!! I'll fix that today!

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:03 pm 

I am curious if you are going to add Grindcore also I am curious for the if forums may be added in the future?

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:26 pm 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
I am curious if you are going to add Grindcore also I am curious for the if forums may be added in the future?

Forums will be added in the future!

About Grindcore, we are going to accept bands which are not 100% Grindcore. If they play a mix of Grindcore with something else, for example hardcore/metalcore/deathcore/crossover and so on. What's the reason of adding Grindcore if it's supported here on Metal Archives?

What I've improved today:
1) I've added the text-field when you choose Other genre (so you can now fill it with Grindcore, Rock, Metal etc.).
2) I've added the possibility to add more genres to albums.

The things which are not done yet, not all the genres are shown on bands/albums pages after these improvements, I'm working on.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm 

pure grindcore is not metal.
Grindcore comes from crust punk.

also you might want to add an explanation to how irc works and tell on which irc network you are hosting the channel. I use a separate irc client to joiin chatrooms myself.

Hypno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
pure grindcore is not metal.
Grindcore comes from crust punk.

also you might want to add an explanation to how irc works and tell on which irc network you are hosting the channel. I use a separate irc client to joiin chatrooms myself.

Well, I'll add grindcore today.

Ok, that's a good notice about irc chat. I will add the explanation. Thank you for suggestions!

I wanted to ask if you guys know some ways/forums/other websites where I can tell people about the website. From about a week ago the contribution is very low, and the last a couple of days the only person who submitted something, was me. The project is a non-commercial one, (even if I have the Amazon Affiliates launched), like Metal Archives are, so the only advertising I can afford is that which is free, like word of mouth, partnerships, sponsorships and so on.

That will be also good to have some merchandising (related to simply hardcore music, not bands themselves) launched. Do you know some companies who can sew/print and sell everything for you? Like those which bands use.

Please let me know if you have some suggestions about all the above, and thank you!

And may be to invent something to really attract people? Because for now the website does not attract with a lot. I know I don't even have 1 month being launched but I really want to see some actions, I want to make people to be more interested in Hardcore Database (that's a huge support for me).

I thought about drawing hardcore/metalcore/grindcore (and so on) comics and to add a tab to the top menu especially for these. How do you think?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next