Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DannySatan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 am 

Quote:
Twilight Of The Gods are premiering the lyric video for new track ‘Fire On The Mountain’ with Terrorizer.
The track is taken from their forthcoming debut album of the same name, due for release on 13 September via Season Of Mist.
Initially formed to pay tribute to Bathory, Twilight Of The Gods sees Primordial’s Alan Averill (vocals) joined by Aura Noir’s Rune Eriksen (guitar), Thyrfing’s Patrik Lindgren (guitars), Einherjer’s Frode Glesnes (bass) and Lock Up drummer Nick Barker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HmtBeUA8cTA

I thought some might be interested in this, couldn't find a more appropiate thread. I'm really looking forward to this but hey I love anything Alan does. I think the song rocks! what an epic line up...anyone else feeling this? :D

xexyzl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:59 am 

DannySatan wrote:
I'm really looking forward to this but hey I love anything Alan does. I think the song rocks! what an epic line up...anyone else feeling this? :D
I'll concur with the former, especially since I discovered the two Dread Sovereign songs a week or so ago. The song seems reasonable enough a classic Metal tribute, although I was surprised it sounded nothing like any era of Bathory at all.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm 

Same here, really loving the line-up and that epic approach from their former bands being applied to straight-up heavy metal could be something grand. Highly looking forward to it as well.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:50 pm 

eh...that was okay. I don't dig it that much. For new Alan projects, I think Dredd Sovereign will take the cake. This basically sounds like Manowar. Better than Manowar in the last 20 years, but still.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:01 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
eh...that was okay. I don't dig it that much. For new Alan projects, I think Dredd Sovereign will take the cake. This basically sounds like Manowar. Better than Manowar in the last 20 years, but still.

Agreed. I guess it makes sense, considering they're trying to ape Bathory, that they end up sounding like Manowar :-D

I have to say though, the song gets better in the second half , where it has built some momentum and some atmosphere.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:04 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

:-D But yeah, Dread Sovereign is better, they understand their genre better than TotG. That's still an enjoyable song and we'll see with the full album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:06 pm 

haha damn. This is what happens when I don't proofread my posts.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

I just hope they continue touring with Bathory songs because I liked them as a tribute band.

This material doesn't sound half bad though.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm 

Eh while i do hear bathory elements i dont really hear anything that makes me think manowar.
If anything this sounds like grand magus with bathory elements to me.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:27 pm 

I'm marginally more interested in this due to Nick Barker's involvement. Grindcore to epic heavy metal is an unusual transition. Kudos to them for trying an underutilised historical lyrical theme. Ottomans make a change of pace from Vikings.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:59 am 

...Erm. Do these guys have an entry in the archives? Searching for "Twilight of the Gods" brings up a Japanese power metal band. :P

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm 

^ No, because their album of original material isn't out yet. :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:12 pm 

The album can be streamed.

It's not a masterpiece but it's got some charm and is very decent. Some songs drag a little, others pick up some momentum and feel after the mid point. The album is reminiscent of early heavy metal, with some bits reminding of Sabbath, Maiden and of course, Manowar and Bathory.

As far as the production goes, it sounds good. Punchy, audible bass and everything. Might be a little too clean-souding for some folks but I personally like it for a modern production.

The musicianship is solid but as far as I'm concerned, Averill steals the show. He uses his high range more often than what I am used to.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:25 pm 

ENKC wrote:
I'm marginally more interested in this due to Nick Barker's involvement. Grindcore to epic heavy metal is an unusual transition. Kudos to them for trying an underutilised historical lyrical theme. Ottomans make a change of pace from Vikings.

Hmm, well, it isn't as though Nick was the songwriter in Lock Up...pretty sure he just plays drums.

And yes, the lyrical theme rules. To hell with vikings, hail the Thunderbolt!!!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:01 am 

Riffs wrote:
The album can be streamed.

It's not a masterpiece but it's got some charm and is very decent. Some songs drag a little, others pick up some momentum and feel after the mid point. The album is reminiscent of early heavy metal, with some bits reminding of Sabbath, Maiden and of course, Manowar and Bathory.

As far as the production goes, it sounds good. Punchy, audible bass and everything. Might be a little too clean-souding for some folks but I personally like it for a modern production.

The musicianship is solid but as far as I'm concerned, Averill steals the show. He uses his high range more often than what I am used to.

Oh wow! That really sounds incredible. I love Alan's vocals but for a minute there in Primordial I thought he was sounding samey range-wise. I like that this is more heavy metal than folky.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 am 

Ufff this is not for me, I dont like the vocals and the music is boring as hell.

These guys will tour with Rotting Christ and Negura Bunget, so I know when I will have time to have a dinner and a beer. I respect their music but it annoys me because NB will play less time because of them.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:05 pm 

Not bad. Not bad at all. Digging the strong Manowar influences. Very solid epic heavy metal. And imo Alan's vocals fit that style of music even better than any form of epic black metal or blackened heavy metal or whatever.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm 

I'd say that this has lots of unfulfilled potential. The vocals are great, naturally, and while these guys definitely have their hearts in the right place, I'm just not feeling their music. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far, I'm not impressed.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:18 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
I'd say that this has lots of unfulfilled potential. The vocals are great, naturally, and while these guys definitely have their hearts in the right place, I'm just not feeling their music. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far, I'm not impressed.

I thought you would like it better than I did, because it does have more of that post-Triumph of Steel vibe (a Manowar era that I think I enjoy less than you do) in some songs.

I think if these guys play enough together, a second album would be even stronger, so I agree there is potential. I've listened to this a few times since yesterday and I find it good enoughbut it doesn't lift me so far. I don't know if I would qualify it as a grower for me but there are parts I look forward to, while others leave me cold.

~Guest 43555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:59 pm 

This is absolutely awesome. Alan's vocals are powerful as hell!

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:12 pm 

Riffs wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:

I thought you would like it better than I did, because it does have more of that post-Triumph of Steel vibe (a Manowar era that I think I enjoy less than you do) in some songs.

Actually, I don't care much for anything after Sign of the Hammer, so I don't know how you came to that conclusion, Riffs.
Riffs wrote:
I think if these guys play enough together, a second album would be even stronger, so I agree there is potential.

Yeah, I feel like these dudes are on the right track, but they still haven't reached their destination. This stuff is rather rough around the edges, especially when it comes to dynamics, and the musicians don't have as much chemistry as they should. There are some great moments to be found here, but no song is enjoyable in its entirety.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:27 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Eh while i do hear bathory elements i dont really hear anything that makes me think manowar.
If anything this sounds like grand magus with bathory elements to me.

Eh, do you think about stuff like Kings Of Metal, Metal Warriors and stuff like that? If so I understand why you do not recognize any similarities...

But this song could have been perfectly fitted on Sign Of The Hammer, Into Glory Ride or Hail To England.

Its quite good too!!

Last edited by Rocka_Rollas on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
SoldierOfHell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 am 

"Preacher man" screams Manowar and more precisely Metal daze, good stuff !

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:58 am 

I immediately thought of the Grateful Dead. It's probably better than anything this band does. I love the Grateful Dead.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

Having heard the stream, I enjoyed it immensely. The atmosphere is incredible with that old-school tuned guitar riffing, the slow-to-grandiose pacing generates great tension and gives it an epic tone to match the sterling vocals, surely the highlight on the album. Sure, there's some small kinks to work out over time that'll get fixed (Xlxlx is on the right track with the band not showing a lot of chemistry as the arrangments tend to wander at times with some of the epic lengths on the later half that bands with more experience together would know how to fix before it left the writing stage) but I'll cut them some slack for a debut. #2 won't be as lenient.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:33 pm 

I enjoyed it. The vocals are awesome.

Now, this could be a lot better. I understand that these dudes are from the extreme side of metal, so it makes sense that their first attempt at epic heavy metal a la Manothory ends up being a little awkward.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:49 pm 

I haven't listened anything since the first released track, but my expectations are getting ridiculous. I've read 7-8 rewievs, every single one praising the album to no end.
:E Come on mah sweet vinyl

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:35 am 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
I immediately thought of the Grateful Dead. It's probably better than anything this band does. I love the Grateful Dead.

What are you talking about?

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:53 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
THEMICRULAH wrote:

What are you talking about?

The Grateful Dead have a song called Fire on the Mountain.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:00 am 

First of all - the vocals are really awesome. Alan does a wonderful job, especially with the high vocals. I did not expect those from him and they sound as good as the rest. Which is to say - very very good.

Now - this could be better but I really like the style and execution here. Sure the songs could be worked on but the basic premise is good and influences shine through. That epic Manowar/Bathory feel is there and that is very important. I can also hear some Grand Magus there but I don't think that band has been a particular influence. But overall a good to very good album. The next one should slay.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm 

I heard the album today, while I'm a big fan of Alan and Primordial, "Fire on the Mountain" is pretty underwhelming. The riffs are generic, the solos could be better. It's a pretty safe album. I can't say I was expecting something great since these superstar lineups are rarely as good as we want them to be.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 am 

This is a neat album. The music isn't anything special, but Alan's voice is absolutely incredible in this surrounding. Good work.

Obligatory Last FM Link

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm 

I'll be seeing them live, and at least I'm glad to be able to see a live show of a band fronted by someone as excellent as Averill. I can't say as to whether the music will deliver. While I've always found this type of music to be enjoyable as long as silliness doesn't run rampant, it's not something I ever end up genuinely adoring.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:28 pm 

Should've been an EP. There are some really good songs on there, primarily the slower ones where the band shows the greatest ability to play together, but about half the songs sound like boring fillers. I'd rather be listening to Grand Magus' The Hunt to be honest.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:04 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:

That blew. Noodling hippie bullshit.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 am 

i just listened to it.
Quite decent but rarely really attention grabbing other than the great vocals also no real bad moments. Avrill delivers once again.
i think that if they stay together we might get some quite decent stuff out of it. None of these guys have made heavy metal before and i am pretty sure they will grow if they keep doing some.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am 

I've listened to it some, and while I greatly enjoy Averill's voice, some of the music seems a little bit too anthemic and light-minded for him, as I associate his voice with great drama, not anything even remotely playful or juvenile. He does sound less pained than on Primordial's music, and definitely not all of the music is unprofound, but especially the first track seems somewhat incongruous.

Other than that, I enjoy it more with each listen. For all its simple charm, there are surprising complexities in the music that may not reveal themselves immediately.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:31 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I've listened to it some, and while I greatly enjoy Averill's voice, some of the music seems a little bit too anthemic and light-minded for him, as I associate his voice with great drama

yeah, this is obvious with Preacher Man, feels like Hansi singing AC/DC

Reply to topic