* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:12 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
What's so egregiously terrible about Death Proof? I saw it and thought it was a good, trashy time.

The fact that it was unbelievably dull and unmemorable.

Yeah OK, I think I can see that. It's a real talky movie and some of those talky scenes don't really go anywhere beside setting up character types.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I felt like I was missing the point of Death Proof. The girls weren't that hot, Kurt Russell wasn't that cool. I don't get it.

I was initially going to say "only for the first half", but then I Google'd them and I'm gonna agree with you almost all the way. The only one of any of the girls in that movie that looks good is Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I have no clue how, but Death Proof somehow made Rosario Dawson not gorgeous.

As for the movie itself, I haven't watched it since it first hit DVD, but I remember being just bored out of my face with it. I remember a lot of it, but that didn't make it any less aggravating. One of the only times I was ever interested in anything going on was when Kurt Russell crashes his car in the first half. The scene where he's got Rose McGowan trapped in the car and she's pleading with him to get out is really well done too, but the development it gives to Stuntman Mike is completely negated by the movie's ending.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:31 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Yeah OK, I think I can see that. It's a real talky movie and some of those talky scenes don't really go anywhere beside setting up character types.

The only fairly decent scene was the extended conversation scene in the beginning at the bar. Besides that, there was just nothing to it. Describing a film like that as 'talky' is just wrong.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:32 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
It's M. Night Shyamalan. Were you expecting anything at all?

To be completely honest, I actually didn't know that this was an M. Night Shyamalan movie. There are no on-screen credits until after it ends. Once that credit popped up, it did ring some bells that maybe I had heard it before, but I wasn't consciously aware of the fact while I was watching the movie.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:43 pm 

They left his name off all the promotional material too.

Here's the thing though; on the M. Night scale of horrible movies, is After Earth worse than The Last Airbender in your opinion? I don't plan on seeing After Earth, but I cannot imagine M. Night making a worse movie than Last Airbender.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:35 pm 

Death proof lose the first 50 minutes or so just chatting in a bar, to get like 5 of action and not the best action anyway but, well, it was according to the premise of the movie. Then the second part starts with the terrible and beyond stupidity chick talking which only stops when Stuntman Mike comes back to play a bit more after another 40 minutes or so, only to get kicked by the girls. The whole second part was boring as all hell.

Planet Terror had tons of action, gore and comedy to make up the terrible script, but hell, that script was made bad on purpose and make the rest of the movie more b-looking.

And no, Django Unchained is better than Death Proof, at least you have way more action whereas Death Proof made almost nothing. IT wasn't even funny to begin with!

@Subrick: I think the basic idea of After Earth wasn't bad, but the execution was and really bad. I understand what Will Smith was told to do, but the character is plain and lifeless as a fucking Magic card. Jayden did his job decently, but the script was terrible and the character was terrible from the beginning. I don't know, maybe is worst than the Last Airbender.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Describing a film like that as 'talky' is just wrong.

I think it's fairly accurate. There's a lot of talking scenes that are more for flavor than plot. Talky. It's a talky movie.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:38 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
@Subrick: I think the basic idea of After Earth wasn't bad, but the execution was and really bad. I understand what Will Smith was told to do, but the character is plain and lifeless as a fucking Magic card. Jayden did his job decently, but the script was terrible and the character was terrible from the beginning. I don't know, maybe is worst than the Last Airbender.

Well the thing about After Earth's story is that Will Smith himself came up with it. He got the general idea of it from a TV show called I Shouldn't Be Alive, and it was made into a sci-fi thing later on. He didn't directly write the screenplay though; that was M. Night's job, although I'm sure Will Smith was over his shoulder for a lot of that telling him what to write. Combine that with the fact that it's impossible for M. Night to create anything good anymore, as well as Jaden Smith's complete inability to act, and you have the perfect recipe for a legendarily terrible movie.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:38 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
And no, Django Unchained is better than Death Proof, at least you have way more action whereas Death Proof made almost nothing. IT wasn't even funny to begin with!

Death Proof was half assed, but it really didn't try to disguise that fact. It wasn't very good, but not very offensive either and had some enjoyable bits here and there. Django, while it wasn't that bad or anything, mostly just came off as a collection of Tarantino cliches without the usual funny dialogue or memorability factor. I dunno, I couldn't get into the bulk of it at all really.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:57 am 

why did i just watch Bullet To The Head....

ALL THE WAY TO THE END???????//
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:46 pm 

Must be a glutton for punishment.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 pm 

So the final part of the epic(ally commercially and critically disastrous) Atlas Shrugged trilogy is seeking additional funding via Kickstarter in order to finalize the film. To call this ironic would be the understatement of the century. Best of luck, Galties! :lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 pm 

World War Z is even worse now that I understand all the dialogue.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:05 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Planet Terror is awesome. Hilarious, gory and unrepentent. Just a killer horror/comedy flick, one of the better in that style from the mid 2000s. Reminds me a bit of old movies like Brain Dead or something in its style and execution, actually.

Agreed. Planet Terror is one of my favorite movies ever for reasons described above. Not to mention Rose McGowan, who looks absolutely stunning here.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:42 am 

Rivers Edge (1986) anybody? The one with Crispin Glover acting like a retard stoner the entire film? In my top 10, and not because of him, although him cracking a beer and whining "It's warm, even!" is a legendary quote. Just check it out.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:18 pm 

I saw River's Edge in a small theater back when it was first released. It was so cool (and surprising) to hear Slayer and Hallow's Eve in a movie! I picked up a cheap, used DVD of it a few years ago and must say I think it's aged well and was still a very engrossing film that really takes me back to that time again.

Watched a truly terrible movie over the weekend called Leather Jackets, starring Bridget Fonda, Cary Elwes and D.B. Sweeney. The blurb on the box should've read: No redeeming features. Avoid.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 am 

I watched There Will Be blood for the hundredth time last night and I've come to the conclusion Daniel Plainview is The greatest film character of all time, "I want you to tell me that you are, and always have been, a false Prophet, that God is a superstition." I love all the anti-religion and misanthropy in this film, not to mention that there are no good guys in the film. Overall, a must watch film for any black metal enthusiast, just the title of the film looks like it was ripped from a Swedish black metal album cover.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

V/H/S 2 - Many pages ago, at least one person said that this was much better than the first. Sorry to report, I don't agree. Maybe this was done intentionally, but I found it annoying that so many of the segments involved

Spoiler: show
either zombies, or zombie-esque elements.

Despite that criticism, the best effort IMO was the one directed by the guy who made The Raid: Redemption. That's not enough to make me give this a recommendation, though.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm 

River's Edge is a great movie, one of my all-time favorites. I can't count on my fingers and toes how many times I've seen that one. My girlfriend and I frequently recite lines of the movie to each other.

Crispin Glover and Keanu Reeves are two of my favorite actors. Steve Buscemi is up there as well. Today I watched Henry's Crime with Keanu Reeves, easily one of the best movies I've seen in a really long time. It's a very different, light-hearted kind of heist movie that actually goes very deep. Extremely enjoyable.

Also today was Trees Lounge with Steve Buscemi, just a movie about Long Island alcoholics. Very interesting.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:40 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So the final part of the epic(ally commercially and critically disastrous) Atlas Shrugged trilogy is seeking additional funding via Kickstarter in order to finalize the film. To call this ironic would be the understatement of the century. Best of luck, Galties! :lol:

Ha. Actually, not so ironic considering Rand was on benefits for long stretches of her later life.

Superman 1. Best superhero movie, and the only one I really like. Nolan's Batman is unpleasant and confusing to watch, the 90s Batmans were lightweight, X-Men is forgettable and Spiderman and Iron Man are just shit. I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to make an epic film about a guy with superpowers but there you go.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:55 am 

Predator is one of my favorite Arnie movies. I can't say how this (Predator 3D) will turn out but I will definitely watch it when it hits the theaters this December.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 pm 

Elektra-Unable to complete an assignment, a morally-conflicted assassin is forced to protect the child protegy she was initially sent to kill from the more dangers killers now on her trail and must use all her powers to keep her safe. Overall I wasn't such a fan of this one. As I've rightly suspected in the past, my lack of comic book knowledge about the character and it's backstory meant that a large portion of the film went by with the understanding that the viewer knew of this so her recruitment into the society, her training (which seems to shift between superhuman levels of skill and then normal human skills depending on the scene's requirements) or the plans of the evil corporation going after the girl as they are just brought up and treated as to be common knowledge in this universe with everyone seeming to have superhuman powers whenever it's convenient for them to display them yet still have regular human skills from time-to-time. Beyond that, the action isn't too bad with a fine house ambush that she thwarts, the battle in the woods is rather fun and the finale in the hedge maze is a lot better than it should be with plenty to enjoy about it. Not nearly as balls-to-the-wall as I usually like, though, with a lot more down-time that combines with the other flaws here to knock this one down considerably.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:10 pm 

I take it I am one of the few who really liked Predator 2..
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I take it I am one of the few who really liked Predator 2..

I freaking love Predator 2. I'll admit that it's not as good as the original, but it's still a damn fun movie and honestly, I was disappointed when Predators made 0 references to that film at all.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:42 am 

shouvince wrote:
Predator is one of my favorite Arnie movies. I can't say how this (Predator 3D) will turn out but I will definitely watch it when it hits the theaters this December.

It's being released on blu ray 3d, not theaters.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:53 am 

Both Predator and Predator 2 rule! I have still not scene Predators... should I rectify that? Or is it just another shitty reboot?
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:01 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
shouvince wrote:

It's being released on blu ray 3d, not theaters.

Oh dang, my bad! I didn't realize what it was and got over-excited about this :ugh:

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:23 am 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Both Predator and Predator 2 rule! I have still not scene Predators... should I rectify that? Or is it just another shitty reboot?

I think it was decent follow up to the 2nd predator. There's a good sense of 'survival horror' going on like the 1st one had. I had a hard time to buy Adrien Brody's being a badass but the guy acted well. There was a scene where I laughed a bit but that was just me

Near the end, Brody is ready to face the predator and he suddenly appears showing his naked torso full of muscles like a fucking spartan but his face looked like the same thin guy I've known on previous movies. I'm not sure if a body double was used or if it was him, but he looked pretty funny.

I'll get that Predator 3D release!!!!

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:35 am 

It's being released on blu ray 3d, not theaters.[/quote]

Oh dang, my bad! I didn't realize what it was and got over-excited about this :ugh:[/quote]

Eh, I doubt youd miss much. Ive seen my fair share of converted 3d and none of them were worth it. The only time its effective is with animation/cgi.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:

I think it was decent follow up to the 2nd predator. There's a good sense of 'survival horror' going on like the 1st one had. I had a hard time to buy Adrien Brody's being a badass but the guy acted well. There was a scene where I laughed a bit but that was just me.

Sounds like I should give it a shot, thanks for the quick synopsis!

Mr Ferocious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:24 am 

Watched Kill List last night and as the credits rolled, the only response I could give was 'Hmmm.'
It's been bugging me all day because I can't specify how it made me feel, but I was enjoying it up until the third act, and then I didn't.
At least the DVD was cheap.

Edmund Blackadder

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 am 

I love Murtaugh vs Predator! As for Predators, don't bother. It has Topher Grace playing a secret bad guy, and Adrien Brody constantly doing the Batman voice. Shit sucks.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:06 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

I love Murtaugh vs Predator! As for Predators, don't bother. It has Topher Grace playing a secret bad guy, and Adrien Brody constantly doing the Batman voice. Shit sucks.

Yeesh... maybe I'll stay away after all. Topher Grace is kind of a deal breaker.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm 

Yeesh... maybe I'll stay away after all. Topher Grace is kind of a deal breaker.

That guy sucks so bad. Apparently everyone else on the set of That 70s Show were friends with each other. He was the only one who didn't hang out. I hate him. I hate his character on that show too.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 pm 

the Cell... can never get enough of it

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:51 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
V/H/S 2 - Many pages ago, at least one person said that this was much better than the first. Sorry to report, I don't agree. Maybe this was done intentionally, but I found it annoying that so many of the segments involved

either zombies, or zombie-esque elements.

Despite that criticism, the best effort IMO was the one directed by the guy who made The Raid: Redemption. That's not enough to make me give this a recommendation, though.

the first segment in the first one sort of screwed up how i see part of the world again.. that chick.. i met a girl just, like her once.. x.x

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm 

You mean the "I like you" girl? :nods:

Lady in the Water - I didn't like this lesser M. Night Shyamalan effort when I first saw it a few years ago. I guess I decided to watch it again in preparation for After Earth, which I'll see on DVD soon. LitW gets some points for originality; I can't name many movies I've seen that are similar to it, and it doesn't feel like a Sixth Sense rehash.

Unfortunately, that's about all the praise I can give it. Even approaching this movie with the knowledge it's supposed to be a 'bedtime story' or 'fairy tale,' it's hard not to roll my eyes at plenty of parts. The low point is probably Paul Giamatti acting like a child so the older Asian woman would tell him more about 'narfs' and 'scrunts' and stuff. The self-conscious dialogue didn't help either. The Scream movies (the first one, at least) managed to have fun with the idea of characters talking as if they're aware they're players in some kind of script. But in a slow, moody Shyamalan flick, that approach didn't work for me.

Avoid this one, unless you're morbidly curious and want to investigate the "Where did M. Night go wrong?" issue for yourself.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:05 pm 

yes!! the '(inaudible)... ilikeyou..(inaudible)..' girl..
no joke, met a chick just like that one.. fuckin blew me away man!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 pm 

If that's a deal breaker, keep in mind that Necroticism hating the movie is...well, whatever the opposite of a deal breaker is. Predators is a decent enough movie, other than the sort of awkward casting missteps. It could have been really cool with a better cast but as it is, it works.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 pm 

I watched Maximum Conviction. It sucked. The end.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 430, 431, 432, 433, 434, 435, 436 ... 818  Next