Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Fuck that was dirty. Hope Eller ends up alright, and with no lasting effects from that.

Here's another dirty hit from recently. Not a drop of blood on the ice, thankfully.

Dirty? That was a completely clean hit. It was a suicide pass, and the guy that passed the puck should have known better. It was a shoulder on chest hit, he even bent down to make sure he made contact with the chest, and not the head.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:06 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:
Fuck that was dirty. Hope Eller ends up alright, and with no lasting effects from that.

Here's another dirty hit from recently. Not a drop of blood on the ice, thankfully.

Dirty? That was a completely clean hit. It was a suicide pass, and the guy that passed the puck should have known better. It was a shoulder on chest hit, he even bent down to make sure he made contact with the chest, and not the head.

I don't mean actually dirty. I'm simply referring to the crunch factor, my man.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:08 pm 

Da Bulls! :hyper:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 pm 

Oh well, golf for the Habs soon. We can't beat Anderson and even if we're the best team on the ice, we can't win. The series will end tonight and it was full of drama :( we have young players, we'll get our chance.

I hope Gallagher and Subban are gonna win the Calder and the Norris respectively.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm 

speaking of "Da Bulls" my interest in basketball is typically measured in "Microgivashits." However, when I do manage to pay attention to it, I follow the Golden State Warriors, which was the local team where I originally grew up, and which I always rooted for despite the fact that they rarely gave their fans any real reason to cheer for them. They were always "That one team" I halfway paid attention to. So with that said, they seem to have an interesting thing going on with the Spurs right now. That first game was something else- yeah the Warriors choked but still a pretty intense game. They won't win the NBA championship or anything (they're still the Warriors after all) but it's been fun to see them go this far at least.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm 

Another big ol can of whoop-ass opened up the Ottawa Senators!

Metantoine, you forgave Subban for his arrogant contract holdout? For me, any player who does that can take a long walk on a short pier. For the Norris, the only nominee who's an actual defenceman (with defensive skill, not just piling up points), is Ryan Suter.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:26 pm 

He played a great season when he joined the team, almost 1 point/game and he's nominated for the Norris. He proved that his value is high and I simply hope he'll keep playing this way. There's nothing to snivel about his behavior, he was a good team player for the whole season and proved to the team and to the NHL that he's an elite player. Hockey is a business and the players are part of it, if his agent and PK thought they deserved more (he obviously does) then they had to negotiate it with the GM (who's sometimes to blame in many situations anyway). We don't know all the details so it's hard to make a judgement.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:29 pm 

So happy the Sens are still in :-D. I know it won't happen, but it would be cool if we could win the cup right before Alfie retires.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
He played a great season when he joined the team... There's nothing to snivel about his behavior, he was a good team player for the whole season and... if his agent and PK thought they deserved more (he obviously does) then they had to negotiate it with the GM (who's sometimes to blame in many situations anyway). We don't know all the details so it's hard to make a judgement.

Heh i may be too clouded against players with contract squabbles, being a Sens fan. My team's been hurt by that too many times! About the Norris again, I've heard suggestions of splitting it into 2 trophies. Like having the current one for highest-scoring defenceman (which it has become of late, I'll even admit Karlsson in that category). And a new trophy for defensive prowess, could call it the Ken Daneyko Trophy or something. Sure it would be a subjective award, but so is the Selke.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
So happy the Sens are still in :-D. I know it won't happen, but it would be cool if we could win the cup right before Alfie retires.

There was hope, but now Pittsburgh has woken up to how morbidly overrated Fleury is, and replaced him with a competent goalie. So i fear the Isles are done and the fucking Penguins are ready to slap Ottawa around for the third time in five years.

Glad to see someone else likes the Sens here though!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:19 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
speaking of "Da Bulls" my interest in basketball is typically measured in "Microgivashits."

After the Jordan/Pippen era I didn't pay much attention to basketball until very recently. I went to a few games this year and it's been very exciting to watch again (especially Nate). That story about the bitch in Miami who flipped off Joakim Noah is insane, sounds like she got away with murder.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:18 am 

Simple question. What is the sporting event you wait all year for, or in some cases several years for? For me the answer is simple: the Australian rugby league state of origin series. For our non-Australian friends, it's a best two out of three match between Queensland and New South Wales. Unlike most rugby league matches, in state of origin you actually have to be from the state you're representing. As a rugby league fan, I normally don't give a shit who wins as long as it's a good game, but when it comes to state of origin, all bets are off, I support Queensland all the way. It begins this Wednesday and there is no other tournament that gets my heart racing like state of origin. So what are your favourite sporting contests?

FlaPack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 am 

Most people will probably go for the championship in their favorite sport. My vote is for the beginning of the season in American college football. As an alumnus and rabid fan of an historically mediocre to below average team, every season begins brimming with the irrational belief that "this is the year." You have twelve games. As a mediocre team, that first loss will eliminate you from national championship consideration. But also as a mediocre team you know from history that on the right day you can beat anybody (or lose to anybody). Can this years team somehow string together the magical season you dream about every off season? Logically you know it won't happen but until history inevitably repeats itself you keep the faith. A true fanatic, serially invested in a fantasy that will never come true.

Honorable mentions go to the Summer Olympics A.K.A. the only time Americans ever pay attention to track and field, swimming, diving or gymnastics and the Super Bowl as much for its importance as a social event as its NFL championship status.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:44 pm 

While american football is easily my favorite sport to watch, I generally find the Super Bowl to be over-hyped and usually less entertaining than most of the playoff games. Therefore, I generally look forward to the playoffs as a whole because there are bound to be some really great games each year.

I also used to look forward to march madness (men's) to see how Uconn would do, but unfortunately I will have to wait until 2015 to see any Uconn action in the tournament.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:33 pm 

markoff_chaney wrote:
Simple question. What is the sporting event you wait all year for, or in some cases several years for? For me the answer is simple: the Australian rugby league state of origin series. For our non-Australian friends, it's a best two out of three match between Queensland and New South Wales. Unlike most rugby league matches, in state of origin you actually have to be from the state you're representing. As a rugby league fan, I normally don't give a shit who wins as long as it's a good game, but when it comes to state of origin, all bets are off, I support Queensland all the way. It begins this Wednesday and there is no other tournament that gets my heart racing like state of origin. So what are your favourite sporting contests?

I merged your thread with the Sport Thread.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:40 pm 

I haven't actually given my picks for the continuing Stanley Cup Playoffs, but here ya go:

Last round:
Hawks over Wings in 7 (nailed it)
Kings over Sharks in 6 (right team, wrong series)
Pens over Sens in 5 (nailed it)
Rangers over Bruins in 7 (couldn't have been more wrong if I tried)

This round:
Kings over Hawks in 6 (still possible, but not looking likely)
Pens over Bruins in 6 (fluke, still gonna happen)

As much as I love seeing the Hawks dominate the defending champs, we've really been playing dirty and I'm not okay with that. Bolland's flying elbow that kept Richards out of game 2 is astonishing because SO MANY Hawks fans are calling it a clean hit. Way to act exactly like how you criticize every other fan of every other team, you jagoffs. And Shaw's slew foot that took out Filppula in Game 7 against Detroit, and even that hit that freed up the puck to score the winning goal in overtime seemed like it was high, and I've heard nothing about either incident. I couldn't watch the last game but I had it on the radio, did Doughty every come back after the slew foot from Bickell? (that's what they made it sound like, at least) Come on boys, you're a very talented team and very capable of winning without playing like a bunch of Cookes and Carcillos.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
While american football is easily my favorite sport to watch, I generally find the Super Bowl to be over-hyped and usually less entertaining than most of the playoff games. Therefore, I generally look forward to the playoffs as a whole because there are bound to be some really great games each year..

In general I agree, teams are trying just as hard in the playoffs are they are in the Superbowl. At the end of the day the Superbowl is just another game, and the actual gameplay can be just as boring or exciting as any other. Obviously there's way more riding on it, but there have been some really boring Superbowls, like Packers vs. Steelers a few years ago. Mediocre play on both sides, with the Steelers losing because they made just a few more mistakes than the Packers did.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:40 pm 

Fail @ the Penguins. Fleury is playing like a pee-wee. Go Bruins! Original 6 Cup Final with Chicago and Boston!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:20 pm 

I haven't watched any of those games but.... they put Fleury back in? Fucking why? He's a notorious choker, plus Vokoun blew him out of the water when he replaced him...
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 pm 

Three first period goals that weren't Vokoun's fault at all, really, rather it was PIT's sickly defense. Then Fleury came in and gave up the same number of goals, but two of them that were scored would've been gloved by pretty much any other goalie.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:05 pm 

I've always liked Vokoun in Florida, and was stunned at how mediocre he was in Washington, so I was pretty stoked to see him get a chance to really succeed in Pittsburgh. Granted, I'm pretty much the opposite of a Pittsburgh fan this year, but I do really like both Vokoun and Iginla, so I'm pretty conflicted :lol:

EDIT: And I just now got a text alert saying Mike Richards is out for game 3 as well. Kings fans, I apologize for both Dave Bolland and the idiot fans who think he didn't do anything wrong.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
Three first period goals that weren't Vokoun's fault at all, really, rather it was PIT's sickly defense. Then Fleury came in and gave up the same number of goals, but two of them that were scored would've been gloved by pretty much any other goalie.

Damn straight. The media needs to get their noses out of Fleury's ass too. Every time Vokoun lets in a goal - which has not been much, he's been fantastic - some knob broadcaster says " we'll have to see Fleury at some point again in these playoffs." Nonsense. Vokoun gets no respect!

That said, he's a Penguin so i do hope the team fails; though i would prefer it not to be his fault.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 am 

markoff_chaney wrote:

As a New South Welshman, I will heartily barrack for NSW all the way. Queensland have been dominant for seven years - it's time to end it!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:05 pm 

So we're probably gonna lose Keith for the series on disciplinary charges. Can't say I blame him for losing his composure for that second and high sticking Carter though. It's one thing to battle in front of the net and get a cheap shot or two in, everybody does, it's another thing entirely to slash at a player's hand when he's missing his glove. You can tell Keith immediately regret it too. There's no excuse for it and he deserves whatever he gets, but I'm certainly more forgiving of him than I am of Malkin a few years ago for just going into a flailing temper tantrum and swinging at everybody while still holding his stick, getting an instigator within the last five minutes of a game and Campbell (unsurprisingly) giving him zero supplemental discipline.

Goddamn I'm so glad Campbell isn't in charge anymore.

markoff_chaney
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 am 

Metantoine wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

I merged your thread with the Sport Thread.

That's cool, I probably should have posed my question here anyway.

MikeyC wrote:
markoff_chaney wrote:

As a New South Welshman, I will heartily barrack for NSW all the way. Queensland have been dominant for seven years - it's time to end it!

I guess you're happy with the result of the first match then. To be fair NSW played the better game, but Paul Gallen should have been sent off.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
This round:
Kings over Hawks in 6 (still possible, but not looking likely)
Pens over Bruins in 6 (fluke, still gonna happen)

LOL

For real though, this is gonna be a tough series. I'd feel bad picking Chicago because I don't want to be a homer, and Boston's defense has been outstanding. Generally, the go-to rule is that whichever team has the better goalie, that's the team to go for in the Finals, I say. I believe Craw has been statistically better than Rask this post season, but Rask has faced way stiffer competition to get here, and the rest of the team has been just as great. With that said, Chicago's stars are finally starting to make themselves known. This is a really tough call.

I just flipped a coin, I'm picking Boston.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:32 am 

Went to this today:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/06/08/ott ... in-capital
It's the unveiling of Ottawa's new CFL team. The Red Blacks isn't the best name ever, but suppose it could be worse. This is Ottawa's third attempt at a CFL team, hopefully this time it will stick.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:24 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I just flipped a coin, I'm picking Boston.

Based on your most recent picks, this means that Hawks win the Cup for sure. :lol:

The thing about the Bruins is, the defenses that we've faced haven't been all too solid, and Chicago's defencemen look to be a little more of a challenge. Plus, with Soupy being done for the year, our PK will definitely not look as good. I think Tyler Seguin will start scoring goals, and believe Toews vs. Bergeron will be awesome to watch. Again, I'm going to pick against my home team and say Chicago wins this series in six games.

Original Six final, plus this is the first East/West matchup of the year. Plenty of little things to be excited about. Too bad I have to miss game 1 due to my band playing a show that night, and history shows that when I don't watch a Bruins game the B's lose and they lose BIG. So, you've got that going for you!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:55 pm 

Hawks in 6, on the road again

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 am 

I guess no one wanted to talk about sports since June?

Well, let me revive this thread for a very short rant about what a fucking retarded idea it is to have the football world cup hosted by fucking Qatar. It's the most idiotic thing FIFA has ever done. First of all there's the heat. 50C in the shade. Football fans, from the most part, hail from Europe, about half of them from Southern Europe where 40C are generally the max and generally seen as uncomfortable by its inhabitants, the other half from Central Europe/UK, where summer temperatures rarely exceed 30C and people are near death when they do. So the temperature is going to kill most attendents' enjoyment of the tournament.

Then there's the fact that it's a conservative Islamic county. Sure, the authorities say they're gonna be tolerant, sell booze, don't arrest every other fan for trivial bullshit, but we all know that's not gonna be that way. Not to mention the general population is going to be incredibly pissy about a bunch of drunk footy fans having fun in the streets. And that's male fans. You know how female football fans from Europe dress at high temperatures? They don't exactly wear burqas, you know. Look at shots of women in the audience at European football matches in summer. Very little clothing. I like it, but what will Qataris say when scantily clad hot women roam the streets?

Why does FIFA do this? WHY? Stop this madness! Award the world cup to another country!!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:24 am 

To be fair, scantily clad hot woman roam the streets of the gulf states everyday.

The locals may not like it, but as long as expats are fuelling their boom time they'll tolerate it. Plus for the World Cup the Qatari government will probably just tell the locals to shut the hell up and stay inside if they have a problem. Qatar likes to feel big on the international stage, they won't let some cranky Islamists ruin it for them.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 am 

droneriot wrote:
I guess no one wanted to talk about sports since June?

Well, let me revive this thread for a very short rant about what a fucking retarded idea it is to have the football world cup hosted by fucking Qatar. It's the most idiotic thing FIFA has ever done. First of all there's the heat. 50C in the shade. Football fans, from the most part, hail from Europe, about half of them from Southern Europe where 40C are generally the max and generally seen as uncomfortable by its inhabitants, the other half from Central Europe/UK, where summer temperatures rarely exceed 30C and people are near death when they do. So the temperature is going to kill most attendents' enjoyment of the tournament.

Then there's the fact that it's a conservative Islamic county. Sure, the authorities say they're gonna be tolerant, sell booze, don't arrest every other fan for trivial bullshit, but we all know that's not gonna be that way. Not to mention the general population is going to be incredibly pissy about a bunch of drunk footy fans having fun in the streets. And that's male fans. You know how female football fans from Europe dress at high temperatures? They don't exactly wear burqas, you know. Look at shots of women in the audience at European football matches in summer. Very little clothing. I like it, but what will Qataris say when scantily clad hot women roam the streets?

Why does FIFA do this? WHY? Stop this madness! Award the world cup to another country!!

as much as i really wish Australia managed to get the world cup the USA really deserved it imo, we were second but the USA had the better bid, i remember staying up till around 3 or 4 am for the announcement and about 30 minutes before they announced it officially a news station in Qatar announced they got the world cup, i thought they were being optimistic

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:26 am 

SP, it's good for us to not be in the world cup. It's a shit sport, so let's concentrate on the good ones instead of getting on a bandwagon that's about as manly as eurovision and about 100x tackier.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:28 pm 

Evander Kane is amazing; he looked more like Ovi of old than Ovi did last night.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:08 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
While american football is easily my favorite sport to watch, I generally find the Super Bowl to be over-hyped and usually less entertaining than most of the playoff games. Therefore, I generally look forward to the playoffs as a whole because there are bound to be some really great games each year.

This is true of finals in most sports.

While I still don't understand how American "stop every 5 seconds" Football can be so popular over there, before a few weeks ago I had previously only seen the sport via the Superbowl. The college game was so much better. There was actually some flow to the thing instead of guys standing around talking. Why they tolerate all the timeouts, extended stoppages and all that crap in the national league I'll never comprehend.

While football is my favourite sport I don't like their finals whether it's the World Cup, FA Cup or under 12s because it's too often score a goal then try to defend it be getting 11 men behind the ball, even though that isn't a particularly good defensive tactic.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:04 pm 

Not true of the all Ireland hurling final Sunday before last ;) although admittedly hardly anyone on this board would even know what it is :lol: Cork played Clare and being a Cork man it was an immense game. Clare were dominating for the whole match but Cork got two quick goals to level things up a goal is worth three points so it was 6 points they desperately needed. It ended in a draw and the game has to be replayed. Really looking forward to that match.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:35 am 

Not that I needed yet another reason to never give a damn about the Cleveland Browns again, they up and traded former first-round pick RB Trent Richardson to the Indianapolis Colts for a future draft pick. On one hand, it's an absolutely foregone conclusion that the organization is giving up on the season already after two games. Brandon Weeden (another first-round pick from the same draft as Richardson, and an atrocious one at that) is out with an injury and unknown Brian Hoyer is now in at QB. That'll make 19 different starting QB's in 196 games since the team "returned" in 1999. That's sufficiently enough evidence that no one, through all the front office changes in that time, knows how to scout and develop talent anywhere on the roster, much less at the most crucial position. On the other hand, Richardson hasn't shown he was worthy of being the fourth overall pick before last season and that's when he's been healthy enough to play. Granted, the run protection like the offensive line has been absent, but a bump 'n' run, laterally-moving RB is NOT going to succeed in the NFL unless you're a red zone specialist and an absolute beast of one at that. Of course, Richardson will probably wind up succeeding in Indy and become the extra weapon that allows Andrew Luck to make an even bigger step forward this year... and good for both of them if that happens.

This franchise should have left the name and colors and... ugh, "tradition" well enough alone and in the past. They've been milking a desperate and unyielding fanbase, especially those of the older generations, for all the dollars they could with nothing to show for it on the field and both parties are to blame for this shitshow continuing to take center stage. I've been done with the team for the past couple years anyway, but I'm on the path to get my friends to denounce their masochistic ways and the Indians and Cavs aren't far behind on the chopping block. The former will get bounced from the postseason in the first round should they be lucky enough to steal a wild card spot because they've been mediocre at best for most of the year after blundering their offseason signings, and the other will continue to be outcoached and outplayed by disciplined teams that don't screw up obvious draft choices.

Being the villain is always more fun:
Spoiler: show

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:13 am 

^^Running backs are devalued in the league today (you can find a good back in later rounds). It's the current Browns front office regime getting rid of a player they did not nor would have picked or wish to keep. Yeah they are tanking the season but if they can land a first round pick for the guy then amen to that. It's clearly a move in hopes of also drafting a top qb.

Last edited by marktheviktor on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 am 

personally i am a fan of the world game, been on the bandwagon ever since 05 and never left it

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:21 pm 

Now this is what you call a freekick!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 136  Next