* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:40 am 

^
Spoiler: show
I was half expecting Monty Python's I'm a lumberjack to start playing when the credits rolled.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:33 pm 

Finally get a lot of my old-shows back:

How I Met Your Mother
2 Broke Girls
Castle

All great stuff to start the new seasons on, absolutely enjoyed them all. As for the new show that premiered last night:

Mom-Eh, I'm not totally buying this one funnily enough. The premise is fine (single mother trying to raise teenage children tries to reconcile with abuse, selfish mother worrying she's turning into her) has a movie-plot feel instead of a sitcom feel that I absolutely loathe with abandon gets repeated here, the character types have been done repeatedly before and aren't that original, and there's just not a lot of room for this one to grow before it turns into a repeat of itself. Thinking this one won't last too long.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:45 pm 

Here's a pretty interesting interview with the Dexter people regarding the finale and thoughts on the final season in general. Pretty revealing of the reasons why the whole season (and the past few seasons, really) have been slipping. Seems like they were JUST figuring out how to make a good TV show right at the end, there.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexter-interview-series-finale/

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:24 am 

What I take from that is they wanted to change it up and not repeat past seasons and as a result season 8 is easily one of the worst by far. They tried to be different, when we'd all have been satisfied with a re-hash of season 4. The use of the word 'pedestrian', like only dunce cap wearing simpletons would not like the ending.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:28 am 

It also shows them like, JUST NOW realizing that some of their worst crutches (the voiceover, ghost dad) are actually detrimental to the show.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:33 am 

The voiceover and ghost dad were good initially, and served to set Dexter apart, but those and a lot of the other idiosyncrasies ended up just getting worn out across multiple seasons. For example, him needing to kill other serial killers on a frequent basis - how fucking many of them could there be in Miami? What the show really needed to have done was really shake things up at some point, but they never did.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:36 am 

Season 8 was basically just a bunch of ideas they had from previous seasons kind of mashed together. You got Zack standing in for the Lumen/Lila sort of character, Dr. Vogel where Brother Sam, Isaac, Lundy, etc. had once been as sort of a teacher character, and a killer in Saxon who was very well acted, but basically nothing we hadn't seen from the show's other killers in the past. They didn't try that hard to do anything new until the finale.

That interview was pretty good though. It makes me wonder what it would've been like if they'd scrapped the voiceovers earlier. That stuff was fine when the show was fast and fun, but when it tried to slow down and get dramatic it just felt plastic. I thought initially that the voiceovers and what not made sense, as Dex is such a strange, alien and vaguely robotic type of person when we meet him - so to his brain, it makes sense to go over everything in his head and to visualize his ghost father talking to him. But by the last two seasons it was getting a bit egregious.

Either way, I'm afraid these people just aren't Vince Gilligan. Guess they can't all be. :p

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:57 am 

Yeah, I get why they were there in the first place, but as I said they became seriously detrimental to the show as it went on. I mean, early on, ghost dad was basically actual dad: pointing out why certain behaviors were likely to result in Dexter getting caught, even if they were things normal people would do. As it went on though he basically had no real purpose other than to be the other half of Dexter's inner monologue. I mean, later on sometimes he was telling Dexter that doing a certain thing would risk too much exposure, yet later he'd do "dad" shit and be like, "oh you've gotta go see your sister, she needs you" or something. He became a really hackneyed plot device rather than the somewhat interesting combination of his own character and part of Dexter's own psyche.

And the voiceover? It just got to be this really lame "let's narrate really obvious shit because our audience isn't smart enough to understand what we're doing here" nonsense. Not treating its audience like idiots is part of why Breaking Bad is just a better show than Dexter.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 am 

Reading that interview makes me feel I was a bit harsh in my response to this season, particularly the last episode. It sounds like they essentially ran out of ideas as they didn't want to get repetitive with this season. The problem was they weren't as good at running things this way and switching things up finally for just the last season doesn't sit comfortably with me. I didn't mind that Harry and the voice-overs were so removed from this season and their justification for it in the interview makes sense. It is highly possible the season suffered because they didn't have much time between season 7 and 8 like the interview said. The subplots they tried to do with the other characters didn't get enough attention and felt abandoned to me. Batista also did nothing in this season and he was my favorite character.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:36 am 

Also, this bit from Wikipedia explains many things about the show's drop in quality...

Quote:
The main creative forces behind the series were executive producers Daniel Cerone, Clyde Phillips and Melissa Rosenberg; Cerone left the show after its second season. Coming off a record-setting Season 4 finale, executive producer and showrunner Clyde Phillips departed the series to spend more time with his family. 24 co-executive producer Chip Johannessen took over Phillips' post. Head writer Melissa Rosenberg left after Season 4 as well.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm 

Dads
The Goldbergs-A man narrates back on his life growing up in a Jewish household during the 80s, with a loving-but-overbearing mother, a good-natured but clueless dad and his increasingly senile grandfather all attempting to raise him and his older siblings. Basically 'The Wonder Years' with an ethnicity swap and tons upon tons of cliches thrown together in the vague hope of trying to wring something funny out of the way-too-sentimental scenarios and situations it's presenting itself with. If they can drop that and focus on the comedy, as there's some gold to be exposed in this one if they play it out right, this one might be good for a while but I somehow doubt that.
Trophy Wife-A down-on-her-luck woman finds and falls for a successful businessman and becomes wife #3, unaware the other two previous wives are still actively involved in his life and tries to navigate the busy family life her new status has thrust upon her. Frankly, this one should be the big one of the new shows as there's a lot to really get into here that should provide some fun for a while to come. Getting into the history of the relationships that keep all three together at this stage in their lives, how they all interact with her and the different lives of the children she's just inherited all could be quite fun, as well as the burgeoning relationship holding out on her meaning this one actually has a shot for a few years which I like. All in all, this could be something.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:12 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
The voiceover and ghost dad were good initially, and served to set Dexter apart, but those and a lot of the other idiosyncrasies ended up just getting worn out across multiple seasons. For example, him needing to kill other serial killers on a frequent basis - how fucking many of them could there be in Miami? What the show really needed to have done was really shake things up at some point, but they never did.

While it got more and more over the top as the show went on, I have to say this in Dexter's defense: Not everyone he kills is a serial killer necessarily; just someone who has killed at least once. And given how crazy FL is, I can believe it to an extent. :p

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:22 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Also, this bit from Wikipedia explains many things about the show's drop in quality...

Quote:
The main creative forces behind the series were executive producers Daniel Cerone, Clyde Phillips and Melissa Rosenberg; Cerone left the show after its second season. Coming off a record-setting Season 4 finale, executive producer and showrunner Clyde Phillips departed the series to spend more time with his family. 24 co-executive producer Chip Johannessen took over Phillips' post. Head writer Melissa Rosenberg left after Season 4 as well.

I strongly doubt this was a factor. Chip Johannessen wrote some of Homeland and Millennium's best episodes while Daniel Cerone was the lead writer/producer on Charmed and Melissa Rosenberg is best known as the person who adapted every Twilight film to the big screen. I've never even heard of Clyde Phillips.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm 

Eh, just because they were good or bad at other things doesn't mean they'd do the same with Dexter. The proof is in the pudding, really. Chip Johannessen did a shit job with Dexter no matter how good you think he is.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 pm 

It's definitely true that writers have their good and bad days (I mean, look at Glen Mazzara; the reliably best writer on The Shield went on to spearhead Sons of Anarchy which is pretty much a dog's breakfast from stem to stern), but it's also true that sucky media (or in this case, media made sucky) is almost always bad for a whole host of reasons; yes, the runner makes many of the decisions that show up in the finalized episode, but TV is ultimately a suit's game.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:29 am 

Eh, I think Sons of Anarchy had a lot of potential. It was a cool premise, the actors were good, and the main characters were memorable. The show's main problem was they couldn't really think of anything all that interesting for them to do. I watched the first couple of seasons a few years back and honestly the parts I remember the best are when the main cast was just all hanging out and being themselves, not any of the action or plot points or really contrived drama. Still, I can't help but think what the show could have been if you'd taken the same premise and actors and given it to, say, the guys who wrote The Sopranos.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 am 

I never watched Sons of Anarchy, guess it's not a huge loss. It's something I've thought about doing more than once.

I might watch Buffy in the near future, after I finish Enterprise. I hear it's pretty good after the first season.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am 

Back in the Game-Forced to move back in with her bitter, disgruntled ex-ballplayer father, a woman tries to raise her young son while avoiding the pratfalls of life he dished on her when he displays an interest in following in the family footsteps of being a baseball player. Feels an awfully lot like 'Moms' only with the mother switched out for the dad and making the whole thing about baseball instead of alcohol. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same premise with the same set-ups: single mother with children (only a son here instead of a daughter and son) fresh off a divorce forced to room with their flawed parent who caused them strife in their childhood and must deal with them reluctantly forced back into their lives. The jokes aren't that bad, there's some sentimentality and it'll be good to see how this plays out between her coaching the little league team with her son on it while trying to avoid his constant attempts to undermine her and take it over himself. There's a chance for something her so I'll let it play out and see where it goes.
Modern Family

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I might watch Buffy in the near future, after I finish Enterprise. I hear it's pretty good after the first season.

Always worth your time. Angel's even better.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm 

I tried Buffy half a year ago and I couldn't get further than the second season. It was really, really bad. And this is coming from a modest (sometimes devout) fan of Firefly.

I actually found the first season kind of watchable with the promise that the show would improve, but the second was actually several steps down. I found myself echoing Hellblazer's sentiment at the end of every episode:
HellBlazer wrote:
After watching the awesomeness of Firefly, I decided to give Buffy a shot and checked out the first season, because I figured it couldn't possible be as bad as I thought, coming from such a brilliant creator. Well, no, it was pretty bad. Occasionally amusing in a so-bad-it's-good way, but not much more.

Awful show.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:31 pm 

Buffy is great, but it doesn't really get going until around season 3 or 4. Prior to that it's very much "teen highschool dramedy with Whedon-isms".

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:38 pm 

I've been re-watching Trailer Park Boys as it's been years since I watched it. Great show, only problem with it is that you start saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence when you speak to your best friends, like the guy who works at the convenience store or the cashier at the supermarket. Could be worse though, hang out with Newfies and you start saying 'sure' or 'like' or the dastardly and racist 'b'y' at the end of sentences.

Are there any TV shows from Newfoundland? Besides that South Park episode with Newfie Steve I mean, but South Park is American, just like Tim Horton's.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
I've been re-watching Trailer Park Boys as it's been years since I watched it. Great show, only problem with it is that you start saying 'eh' at the end of every sentence when you speak to your best friends, like the guy who works at the convenience store or the cashier at the supermarket. Could be worse though, hang out with Newfies and you start saying 'sure' or 'like' or the dastardly and racist 'b'y' at the end of sentences.

Are there any TV shows from Newfoundland? Besides that South Park episode with Newfie Steve I mean, but South Park is American, just like Tim Horton's.

My friends and I started using Rickyisms as jokes amongst ourselves, but it became so frequent I've had to make a conscious effort to not say "Worst case Ontario" in other social settings lest someone think I'm a complete idiot.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
My friends and I started using Rickyisms as jokes amongst ourselves, but it became so frequent I've had to make a conscious effort to not say "Worst case Ontario" in other social settings lest someone think I'm a complete idiot.

Hmm, not bad, but I doubt I could pull it off. I'm more of a Mr Lahey kind of guy.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:29 pm 

I started the fourth season of Farscape yesterday! I looooooooooove that show. Everything is pretty much top notch, acting, settings, make up and costumes...

I also watched the first season of Lost Girl, pretty decent fantasy series, anybody watched that? I'll start the 2nd season soon.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:11 pm 

waiguoren wrote:

Came here straight after watching the first episode I've watched in a while. Man, this show seriously warms my heart every time I watch it. Started in 2007, got hooked immediately and began watching the seasons back to back repeatedly. Two close friends of mine were really into it and the in-jokes became so frequent I think between the three of us we could recite the majority of the script to all 7 seasons plus the specials. That's sort of why it's been a while since watching any.

Not sure if anyone has recognized my signature. Actually noticed there's another user here with a quote from the same episode. :-P

Can't wait for the new movie/new season.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:53 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I tried Buffy half a year ago and I couldn't get further than the second season. It was really, really bad. And this is coming from a modest (sometimes devout) fan of Firefly.

I actually found the first season kind of watchable with the promise that the show would improve, but the second was actually several steps down. I found myself echoing Hellblazer's sentiment at the end of every episode:
HellBlazer wrote:
After watching the awesomeness of Firefly, I decided to give Buffy a shot and checked out the first season, because I figured it couldn't possible be as bad as I thought, coming from such a brilliant creator. Well, no, it was pretty bad. Occasionally amusing in a so-bad-it's-good way, but not much more.

Awful show.

Not really, it's actually quite good. Earlier seasons are definitely less mature, but I have a blast with them anyway. Like iamntbatman said, around the middle of the show it gets a lot better. The characters are very well done. You definitely have to have a tolerance for that sort of wry humor though, because the show is full of it - I could see someone not liking it because of that. But beneath that humor there is a lot of depth and some great characters.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:28 pm 

Some episodes really stand out as being hands-down fantastic, too, like "Hush" and "The Body." The latter in particular was just a beautiful bit of television.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:53 pm 

I don't know "The Body" but I do know "Hush" and its execution is a gutted and sanitized rip-off of an absolutely amazing episode of Space: Above and Beyond named "Who Monitors the Birds?" Now THAT'S a great TV show.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 pm 

No. You're wrong. Go watch Haneke and maybe blog about it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:58 pm 

You've seen Space: Above and Beyond? :???:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:19 pm 

No, but now that I'm watching it, I can see what you're talking about. This is a completely shameless ripoff. The Buffy episode has actors...SO DOES S:AaB. Buffy is filmed in color....SO IS THIS. There's music in the Buffy episode? YOU GUESSED IT. This is so incredibly similar... it's like that awful Citizen Kane ripoff movie, The Matrix.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 pm 

Whedon even said that 'Hush' was directly "inspired" by that episode. There are many other similarities too.

I'm just frustrated when people proclaim that that particular episode of Buffy broke new ground on television when four years earlier Morgan & Wong did the same thing only with far, far greater results.

Last edited by darkeningday on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 pm 

Unfortunately that's how it goes; sometimes the rip-off catches wind at the right time and people start paying attention. Happens in every single type of media there is.

But you're wrong anyway in saying that it wasn't a good episode. It was.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm 

But they're NOTHING alike. The relative lack of dialogue is the ONLY similarity, and in one case it's just a stylistic choice and in the other it's a plot device. You're fucking nuts, dude. Also, I never said anything about it "breaking new ground"; I just said it was a great episode.

Empyreal, just to clarify: literally the only thing the episodes have in common is that there's not much dialogue in the S:AaB episode. That's it. That's the big "rip-off". The plots couldn't be more different, the atmospheres couldn't be more different. It's like saying Breaking Bad is a Lawrence of Arabia ripoff because they both use wide-angle shots of people in a desert.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 pm 

To each his own!

Anyway, the reasons I unceremoniously dropped Buffy are too numerous to list but the thing that finally pushed the scales against its favor were the persistent upskirt creepshots and unending supply of "busty women vs. staircases" involving almost EXCLUSIVELY people who are supposed to be in their mid-teens. The whole "kick-ass, liberated heroine is empowering!" ploy is constantly undermined by the conservative approach to actual sex but constant embrace of physical exploitation of female characters. The show just felt like it was made for sexually frustrated teenage boys and their sexually frustrated middle-aged dads and literally no one else.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:29 am 

Just watched an episode of NTSF SD SUV which contained both Claudia Black (Aeryn Sun) and Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway). So good!

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:14 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The show just felt like it was made for sexually frustrated teenage boys and their sexually frustrated middle-aged dads and literally no one else.

:-X bahaha

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 am 

Alright darkening, you convinced me to watch Space: AaB. I started to watch the pilot a while back but I was really tired and didn't make it. I'll do round 2 soon as I'm done with Enterprise.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:27 pm 

The Big Bang Theory
The Crazy Ones-A female advertising executive brings back her eccentric-but-inspired father to help her run her new agency and must get used to his non-traditional ways of marketing to keep the business afloat. Initially this seems simply like a way of allowing Robin to just free-style rant through scenes as long as he makes his way around to the point of the scene and advancing the storyline at some point, and the results are gut-busting at times. His flying-off-the-handle against her more grounded approach is comedy gold, and it looks like everyone involved is actually committed to the process with some brief if inspired moments that shows there's more to this than just the two big leads. One to watch.
The Michael J. Fox Show-Forced to have retired from his news anchor role due to his contracting Parkinson's Disease, a family man tries to make a comeback while being supported by his wacky family and friends. Never been too keen on the use of a persons name for a show title, but that little quibble aside there might be something to this that looks quite enjoyable over time. Since this is just the pilot, they seem far more unlikeable than they should since they're being introduced for the first time and just seeing them for the first time (the eldest son is a college drop-out looking for a quick buck by doing an internet start-up search engine in his bedroom, the daughter is a grades-obsessed know-it-all who can't handle when things go awry at the first opportunity and the youngest son is a slow-witted loner who does everything unconventionally that inevitably puts him in danger no matter what he's doing) so that combined with the fact that the entire premise is based on him having the disease doesn't really make for some good comedy, but thankfully his wife and sister, as well as his co-workers supporting his comeback provide more than enough laughs to cover. It seems like this will get ironed out over time as there's hints of them becoming more normal over time with a bit of sentimentality thrown in, so I'll keep an eye on this one.
Two and a Half Men

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 182  Next