Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:19 pm 

Has anyone ever felt a song lose it's mystique or power after you teach yourself how to play it? If the song is technical enough and I get something out of it, it can be exciting to listen to because you hear all the new things you've learned, but if the song is otherwise not challenging to play on the guitar or think about musically, I find myself a little removed from the song, at least for a while. Does this happen to anyone else?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 pm 

nope. I don't really go through and learn songs but I've ran through songs out of boredom as in playing them with the tabs infront since I already knew the songs by heart anyway and it was like oh that's neat. i guess since I didn't sit there and keep playing and practicing them they weren't ruined for me.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 am 

Not really. Oftentimes it helps me to appreciate even more how nicely it's put together, or how challenging something that sounds easy really is.

hesychasmsa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:38 am 

I find it depends on the song/artist.

For example, with Isis songs I have developed a new appreciation of how to relatively simple guitar parts can mesh together to give the impression that there is much more going on; like their interplay is creating the impression of the parts being more complicated.

Whereas I remember when first learning guitar I was quite shocked to discover how mind-numbingly simple most Guns n Roses songs are, to the point where I haven't been able to listen to them for years.
Youtube For originals

FearTheNome
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:26 am 

Learning a song makes me enjoy it more.

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:29 am 

I don't think it ruins it, but you start listening to it in a different way, a different perspective.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am 

The last thing I learned by ear was most of the rhythm guitars on Exhumed's Slaughtercult. I think learning songs makes me enjoy them more also, especially songs I'm not very fond of just while listening, I will like them if they're fun to play.

Same thing from a listener's POV. For complex songs with melodies that don't grab me right away, I have to start semi-memorizing parts to really enjoy them, while simpler stuff and/or melodies that grab me are more easily digestible at first.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am 

Doing a recorded cover of a song can ruin it a bit, at least for a while. I don't do covers, but one of the first things I recorded on my first multitrack recorder years ago was a Burzum - Lost Wisdom cover, only because I had never written my own music before. For some time after that, I couldn't listen to the original without comparing it to my own rendition.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:09 am 

I think if you add to it in a unique way then no. My band is covering an ENT song and we change the notes to make them lower and play it faster. Makes it seem more like a song we could have done as opposed to an ENT song.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:19 am 

I hate it when bands do covers.

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:53 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Has anyone ever felt a song lose it's mystique or power after you teach yourself how to play it? If the song is technical enough and I get something out of it, it can be exciting to listen to because you hear all the new things you've learned, but if the song is otherwise not challenging to play on the guitar or think about musically, I find myself a little removed from the song, at least for a while. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes this definetly happens to me too. I'm jealous of everyone else whom it doesn't affect.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 am 

Not for me, though I feel that way when my band covers a song. Used to love jamming to Anthrax's Indians, now since we started playing it live and the grueling process that is rehearsing I don't want to jam on it ever.

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 am 

CF_Mono, are you in any bands? I'm interested to hear what your music sounds like since your viewpoint on this issue is practically the same as mine.

However, learning a song that my other bandmates want to cover that I think is boring or bland, I usually end up liking when I learn to play it.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:53 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Do you cry when you see a band and they do a cover?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:25 am 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Do you cry when you see a band and they do a cover?

Hey! He's a very sensitive individual and your behaviour was totally uncalled for!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm 

I find that it goes both ways but very often I have the same feeling as the TS has. I can recognize what the band plays and I can usually make out the individual part, as opposite of when I was a young child when I saw a song as one thing from the start and never as something that meshes into one thing. That said I know what an individual instrument plays, I can hear the relation between the guitars, bass and drums etc but once I learn a song it often does loose the mystique it once had. Not all the time but it definitely happens. More so with simpler songs.

It does occasionally go the other way as well. I was learning "Unleash the Fire" by Symphony X (never nailed it completely) but for that song I got a new found respect.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

p4vl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:37 am 

It just means that when you air-riff, you are accurate.

I've been playing off and on for 20 years, I still enjoy playing 'Fight Fire with Fire' every now and again.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:40 am 

dontrushurshot wrote:
CF_Mono, are you in any bands? I'm interested to hear what your music sounds like since your viewpoint on this issue is practically the same as mine.

However, learning a song that my other bandmates want to cover that I think is boring or bland, I usually end up liking when I learn to play it.

I'm not, I've tried out for a few but figured I like writing for myself better right now. There's a link to some of my solo demos in my signature.

I think I should have distinguished something in the original post though. I meant particularly that listening to songs sometimes wasn't exciting after you know how to play them. There are definitely a lot of tracks that I still like jamming along with and covering after I learn on the guitar.

Reply to topic