Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:31 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Iron Dogs don't want to play gigs :( Apparently they think their musicianship is too bad. This never stopped Venom!

Toronto has a cool scene but I agree with Abom that Skull Fist is overrated. Phantom, Axxion, Call of the Wild, Midnight Malice, good bands albeit a bit too similar with each others.

I wouldnt' necessarily say that: Call of the Wild have more of a 70s Priest/Metal Church speed metal thing going on while Axxion sound pretty much like a more rocking NWOBHM band like early 80s Raven or especially Saxon. Malice on the other hand have got a real maiden twist going on. I'd say each of these bands has their own sound, while some better than others. I like Call of the Wild best of the lot. Phantom could do great things, though.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:48 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Iron Dogs don't want to play gigs :( Apparently they think their musicianship is too bad. This never stopped Venom!

Man, that sucks!! That's exactly the type of shit that sounds sooooo good live... and it's not like they can't play, those tunes rip!!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:09 pm 

For sure they can play; all those guys are in other bands and they do just fine!!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 292988
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
I don't intend for it to sound like that, I just don't want harsh vocals in fucking everything. I like death metal a lot, but when you put some guy growling over it I generally find it to lose what was good. If you want a gravelly singer, or someone with a low voice, or an aggresive thrash styled guy, that's cool, but endless growls and screeches loose me.

Beat them into your head until you like them.

mayonesa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:52 pm 

Doomed Cowboy wrote:
NWOTHM- New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal

Seems an outpouring of the "true metal" movement of 2009 or so. Basically, people are getting sick of post/indie/gaze/core/alt/nu (P.I.G.C.A.N.) pseudo-metal and want some way to say that if you perform a style, build on the past instead of trying to be "different" and ending up more like bog-standard alt/indie rock.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:31 am 

nah in my experience its mostly (former) neo thrash kids coupled with a few old guys who are into new 80's heavy/power.
People who tend to be most into the post/gaze metal stuff tend to be either scene veterans or young adults. core/alt kids are very rare at every kind of metal gig.

Lord Nordhausen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

I've been thinking about this too. After discovering a bit of a wave of retro doom bands, imagine my surprise when I discovered several recent groups that play in the style of early '80s NWOBHM, US-power metal. I just found one, Rider (or Ryder?) the other day by accident. They sound '84 Strip-esque.

veyita88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 pm 

Traditional Heavy Metal has always been there, never really went away, just lost popularity. In the 90s i guess Power Metal was carrying the torch for classic Metal, i always considered Power Metal to be an extension of THM.

Marky Mark
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:58 pm 

I haven't heard that term before but I'm sure it is the same thing as the revival of "retro" metal bands which are escentially your traditional heavy metal and traditional doom metal bands. I'd say it's a thing as you can find plenty of newer bands playing these styles, such as Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats or Stoned Jesus.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3