Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:08 pm 

The Killing was good! I really enjoyed the last season. I guess it's over now?

Bates Motel rules and returns in February.

Breaking fucking Bad.

I'm obsessed with Twin Peaks.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 am 

Nahsil wrote:
enjoying Star Trek: Enterprise a lot. Just got to season 2. Has certainly hit a greater stride than early on.

Dead Stop rawks, omg. One of my favorite Trek episodes ever.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 pm 

Man, that It's Always Sunny season premiere last week was brilliant. I hope the rest of the season is at this level, the last season had it's lows.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:13 am 

We'll see what happens as the season goes on, but as of now I'm not sure I agree with Sons of Anarchy's decision to
Spoiler: show
introduce a school shooting subplot.

Other than that the premiere was OK.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 pm 

The X Files pilot aired 20 years ago yesterday. Man I have never felt so old. I watched that show religiously as a kid during the first few seasons. I was only like 8 but I felt so cool. Good times.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, that It's Always Sunny season premiere last week was brilliant. I hope the rest of the season is at this level, the last season had it's lows.

Yeah the opener was so good. I didn't even see the twist coming at the end.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 pm 

Looks like the Saul Goodman-oriented Breaking Bad spinoff is most likely happening:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/breakin ... mc-series/

I for one look forward to this. As long as they've got maybe some of the same writers/staffers from BB working on it, or at least keep a tight hold on quality control, it could be really fun to see Saul gradually evolve from, say, a regular two-bit lawyer to the bizarre legal clown that he is through an ever-growing series of sketchy networking decisions and desperate ass-saving maneuvers. Or they could flip the origin story in a different direction and reveal that he used to be a con man or something that just decided he needed a safer, more legitimate gig. And we'd get to see the growth of Saul & Huell's relationship. :love:

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:03 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Looks like the Saul Goodman-oriented Breaking Bad spinoff is most likely happening

Awesome!

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:14 pm 

Awesome news. I love me some Saul Goodman!

Obligatory Last FM Link

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:23 pm 

I imagine that each episode would have Saul dealing with a new client. Breaking Bad always had amazing street-level characters, like Spooge and that one methhead who wouldn't shut up and hung out at Jesse's house during season 4. I wanna see more of those folks.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Saul Goodman spinoff

That's sounds okay, but I think what would've been really cool is a concurrent time frame. So we'd hear about Mike, Walt and Jesse via phone calls or his receptionist. There'd be a strange looming presence about those characters. It'd be the viewers task to place what inbetweens of BB were being shown via hints and clues. So we'd see the scenes just before they arrive and just after they leave, also we'd get to see Huell and Kuby's back story, how they were chosen.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 am 

Hmm, I guess that could offer some cool possibilities, but ultimately it's better for the show to have its own room to move, I think. No doubt Saul has dealt with a whole menagerie of scumbags, retards, and psychos in his time, it'd be great to see him just do his thing with a completely different set of characters and stories where you're not always looking for a tie-in. Plus if it's concurrent we wouldn't get to see any evolution of his character.

As for the title idea, Better Call Saul...I hope they change it. It seems like an obvious choice, and even though it's a funny reference, as an actual title it sounds pretty corny.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:07 pm 

So did everybody hate the Under the Dome season finale?

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:04 pm 

Haha, I just watched it. It was...flaccid. At least the magenta lights looked cool.... Can't really think of anything else to say about it, really. Terrible show, I'm not sure why I keep watching it, but something compels me. Mostly a strange curiosity to see how on earth they'll justify the dome being a thing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:07 pm 

If it's anything like the book it'll be great, I can't wait to see your reaction.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:27 pm 

Started watching the x files again. First 6 seasons are pure gold.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:03 pm 

Hell on Wheels is pretty badass..

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:31 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
At least the magenta lights looked cool....

You're so sick of hearing about 'pink stars' you had to come up with another name for them? :lol:

Yeah, I don't think the show is great either, but I'll probably be watching season 2.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:23 pm 

Is anyone checking out Ray Donovan? Been onto it and it grew onto me..

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:28 am 

So we've got a few shows coming back this month: Homeland, Downton Abbey, and Parks & Rec. Anyone else looking forward to these? I caught up on Homeland not too long ago and really enjoyed it (despite the plot concept being a biiiit of a stretch, they've pulled off a very well-done show thus far), so I'm definitely anticipating its return. Looking forward to seeing - like Breaking Bad - where the careering clusterfuck the characters have created for themselves will go next. Downton Abbey I always had mixed feelings about, and though the last season was pretty humdrum (with a particularly lame exit for one of the main characters), I'll still watch season 4 out of good old-fashioned warmth for the beleaguered one percent-ers. They need our support!

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:53 pm 

Is there any chance this new Sleepy Hollow series is worth anything?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:58 pm 

I watched the first three or so minutes and it seemed to have excellent production values. It was also alarmingly violent for a US Network TV show. Probably worth a gander; the pilot's on Hulu Free, but I'm not sure if it's available in Canada. You can give it a shot, though:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/533352
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:05 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Is there any chance this new Sleepy Hollow series is worth anything?

I would put good money on not, but I've yet to see even a second of it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:31 pm 

There is a chance. As with Defiance the pilot was decent enough to not turn me away and I'm curious how things will proceed. dd's right about the production values too.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:06 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Looks like the Saul Goodman-oriented Breaking Bad spinoff is most likely happening:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/breakin ... mc-series/

I for one look forward to this. As long as they've got maybe some of the same writers/staffers from BB working on it, or at least keep a tight hold on quality control, it could be really fun to see Saul gradually evolve from, say, a regular two-bit lawyer to the bizarre legal clown that he is through an ever-growing series of sketchy networking decisions and desperate ass-saving maneuvers. Or they could flip the origin story in a different direction and reveal that he used to be a con man or something that just decided he needed a safer, more legitimate gig. And we'd get to see the growth of Saul & Huell's relationship. :love:

That's great. LawyrUp!

niix wrote:
Hell on Wheels is pretty badass..

I agree. I love this show and it's progression.
But just when you thought all was well Lilly gets killed off leaving me wanting to see more of her. She brought a certain class to the show and balance to the otherwise squalid sorroundings and depravity we are constantly bombarded with.
Season 3 has been all over the place, I hope it doesn't lose its way. Nothing like catching some Copper and Hell on Wheels back to back though. They're both set in the 1860s an era I'm intrigued with for its technical innovations and temperment.

Last edited by nekuomanteia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:08 pm 

why is Twin Peaks the most addictive show ever ... I am absolutely obsessed with it

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:05 pm 

So I saw this commercial on Youtube and god damn. I thought MTV and VH1 had some awful shows but I think a reality show about preachers that have a shit ton of money is probably the most messed up thing I've ever seen.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:42 pm 

So I just blasted through all of season 1 of Homeland this weekend. Fantastic show. Really makes you wish Claire Danes was more high-profile than she is. I may have to put off the X-Files/Farscape thing I've had going and just chew through season 2 of Homeland instead.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 pm 

Homeland's definitely been a great ride so far. The second season won't disappoint!

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:40 am 

i am pretty sure it will not lose its' way Nek! it has been so moving so far..
what happens tp Ezra was intense!!

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:41 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Homeland's definitely been a great ride so far. The second season won't disappoint!

indeed!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:34 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
The second season won't disappoint!

I was about to say the opposite. It wasn't awful but the spark that made the first season such a revelation for me was missing. Maybe I just need to watch it again.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:14 am 

I liked season 2 a lot, but it's easy to see where people criticize it for its "24-ness." Doesn't bother me though, it's not like it goes full on action thriller with no substance. The characters are still rich, the plot is still (imo) intriguing.

Claire Danes made "Stardust" for me. Loved that movie when it came out.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:27 am 

Can we at least all agree that Morena Baccarin is amazingly gorgeous? Like, absurdly so.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:43 am 

1.) I will still never forgive Claire Danes for The Mod Squad remake. Never ever ever.

2.) Baccarin sure doesn't shy away from baring it all. Good lord. She's of course spectacularly beautiful but perhaps a bit too generically so to make my "completely unattainable celeb crush" list.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 am 

What did people think of the Dexter finale?

I've been criticizing the show for the past couple seasons (not nearly as harshly as some people have, though), but I'd say the series finale was acceptable. As usual, there were things that one could nitpick if one felt like it, but the ultimate fates of the major characters seemed appropriate.

Deb dying was consistent with the whole "people close to a serial killer end up paying the price" idea, although this one is a little weird because if Dexter HAD killed Unshaved Ryan Gosling the previous episode, Deb would not have been shot.

Since Deb died, I'm OK with Hannah and Harrison escaping to South America. Having either or both of them get killed would have seemed excessive.

I think I would also have been satisfied if Dexter really had died in the storm. But revealing that he's alive, yet separated from everybody he cares about is certainly tragic in its own way. In either case, I'm glad they didn't have Dexter immediately follow H & H to Argentina, because - even with Deb's fate - that would have been too much of a happy ending.

One final silly observation.

Faking his death in a boating accident reminded me of my favorite DirecTV ad.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:24 pm 

I have really mixed feelings about the Dexter finale.

On one hand, I really liked Deb so her dying like that was pretty rough/emotional in a way that the show hasn't really been in a long time, so kudos for that, I guess. At the same time, though, the show has played it so damn safe in terms of important characters that we're emotionally attached to getting offed. Rita's death was really the last time the show did that. Even LaGuerta dying I didn't really feel that much about because she was such a fuckin' bitch...I honestly felt way, way worse that Deb was in that situation than I did about LaGuerta biting it. So...it honestly felt pretty forced that they'd even go there, and it was kind of disappointing to see all of Dexter's work toward becoming a normal person who doesn't need to kill people to feel complete basically get written away within the span of a single episode like that. I think once I get over Deb dying I'm just gonna conclude that the end of the series sucked. They should've either had a truly happy ending or gone back down a dark path starting much earlier in the season.

Also, lol @ Hannah reading about Dexter dying, not even really shedding a tear and being all, "Hey Harrison, let's get ice cream!"

Morena Baccarin is generic, now? She looks like an ultra sexy elf or something, man. Not generic looking at all I don't think.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:35 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Morena Baccarin is generic, now? She looks like an ultra sexy elf or something, man. Not generic looking at all I don't think.

Yeah, she's like one of the most insanely gorgeous women I've ever seen.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:12 pm 

The Dexter finale:

Deb dying was handled pretty damn well all things considered - they could have easily gone off track with that but I thought it was handled about as well as it could have been. The scene with Dex and her body on the boat with the storm was quite visually gorgeous, and very tragic for all that - that phone call he made to Hannah and Harrison was really touching. I kind of wish he had died after that. It wouldn't have quite fit his character, but that thing with him in the log cabin doing forest work was just so cliche. It would have been better if they had just ripped off Hannibal Lecter or something and had him watching Harrison and Hannah from afar, or something similar. Anything but what we got would have seemed less trite.

Either way, it seemed season 8 went as such...decent build up in the first few episodes, about 6 episodes of directionless nonsense, then three episodes that were actually as good as any of the old seasons.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 pm 

I thought the Dexter finale was pretty poor, but from the state of the show it was expected.
Saxon for supposedly being the ultimate nemesis continues to show how dumb he is compared to the previous villains of the show. The writers as usual just took things for granted again with skipping over things. For example Saxon cuts off the guys tongue out of nowhere, and if someone was going to cut my tongue out I sure as hell would put up a fight instead of letting them do it. It was neat for a distraction though. Secondly a detective is going to be having cops around her if she has been shot with a bullet in the hospital room, and Saxon shouldn't have been dumb enough to just walk up like that. He also had no real motive to go after her except to maybe hurt Dexter as she posed no threat to him nor did he have a personal score with her that still needed to be settled. With a criminal whom has committed so many murders Dexter would not have just been able to go in alone to see him with no cuffs like that. At that point he probably had a bit of a death wish so would be stupid enough to take Dexter's bait and stab him. Dexter would not have been able to walk Deborah out of the hospital so easily, and someone would have said something if he was taking her off the bed and putting her on his boat right in front of all the hospital staff. I can overlook the fact no nurses rushed into the room when he removed all her life support systems as this sets off an alarm, as there was the hurricane. The scene with Dexter going into the storm with his boat and then the next thing you see is him as a lumberjack made no sense. How did he survive? This is similar to what the writers begin doing during season 6 with the laziness. Dexter was too far from shore to just swim back.

A lot of critics hated the way they ended everything. I liked the way and it made sense, it was just poorly executed. Dexter gained emotions which he did not have at the beginning of the show and something he sought for the entire series. Dexter was unable to live in a world killing people and having emotions as he lost Deborah as a result and she mattered most to him. If he was his old self before he developed these emotions then Deborah would be alive as he would have killed Saxon, but he brought Deborah into his world and things got screwed up. He spent the entire series trying to protect her. So it made sense that he cut all relationships completely off upon her death. I saw one critic berate the episode citing Dexter as being a 'pity party' and I think that critic missed the point. It felt awkward to me seeing Deborah die as none of the main characters have died, except for maybe Rita but that was all the way back in season 4. Deborah flirted with death at the end of previous seasons but it has been such a long time and perhaps I got used to her surviving everything and dying in the hospital from a complication after surgery from a simple bullet removal after everything she had survived before felt awkward. The cinematography was beautiful when Dexter was putting Deborah on his boat and then moving towards the storm but I just couldn't get over the things I mentioned earlier. Perhaps it also felt so awkward because this season has been such a train wreck and there hasn't been a real build up leading to this finale like the past seasons have had. The scene with Harrison on the phone was well done and it meant a lot to Dexter to hear Harrison say he loved Hannah and ensured his safety with her. The little lumberjack scene felt lame and poorly tacked on though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 182  Next