Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 pm 

GTAV is basically San Andreas on every performance-enhancing drug imaginable, so looks like they got the Saints beat. ;)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I don't think anyone can deny that Saints Row and even Saints Row 2 are anything but extremely obvious GTA clones; they basically just took nearly every mechanic the 3D GTA titles had and then just spray painted it pearlescent purple. That doesn't change the fact that Saints Row 2 is better than anything in the GTA series except for San Andreas. In the videogame world, the progenitor rarely has claim to the throne.

Man, I've been saying it for years, but I think Saints Row 2 dropped mostly all of the San Andreas inspiration. Saints Row 2's tone established the core of the game for every other sequel to come after it. That game is wacky enough to feel like it's own thing, but still grounded enough in a crazy action movie to feel like if a scene from that game was recreated in Bad Boys II, it wouldn't feel out of place whatsoever. I mean, the final kill of the story is you hilariously interrupting a double-talker by shooting him in the face, crashing through the window of a skyscraper, falling and hitting like three ledges on the way down. Saints Row 2 came with a preorder UFO. You fight a fucking crazy black guy who's chasing you down in a fucking mall in a hummer with a goddamn machine gun bolted to the top of it. You fight a super-muscular freak on a roof who shoots a minigun at you, and then he throws the fucking minigun at you. THE MINIGUN IS USED AS A WEAPON NOT FOR SHOOTING, BUT FOR THROWING. A MINIGUN ISN'T A FRISBEE. THAT'S THE JOKE.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:21 am 

So Carolyn Petit from Gamespot gave GTA5 a 9.0, and mentioned the game's misogynistic (and non-satirical) tones in passing in her review while amply describing the content of the game. Carolyn Petit is a transwoman. She is a fan of GTA and praised the gameplay and gave the game a very good score.

Guess what happened next?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 am 

Open minded people politely and respectfully expressed their disagreement?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:51 am 

People were getting pretty weird in Polygon's comment section for Grand Theft Auto V's review as well, on both sides.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:44 am 

Quote:

I'm imagining the comments section now. I'm not actually going to go there and read the comments, because I reckon I'm not in the mood to vomit my soul out through my nostrils today.

If this forum didn't look down on image macros, I would totally post one of those "nope nope nope nope" macros with someone running away from something.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 am 

Morrigan wrote:
So Carolyn Petit from Gamespot gave GTA5 a 9.0, and mentioned the game's misogynistic (and non-satirical) tones in passing in her review while amply describing the content of the game. Carolyn Petit is a transwoman. She is a fan of GTA and praised the gameplay and gave the game a very good score.

People started bitching about why didn't she gave it a 10?

...I don't get it, do I?
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 am 

I wonder how long it will take for people to realize it's a mechanically shoddy, poorly told game where you spend 90% of the time driving from point A to B this time.

Unless it just so happens to be good, of course, but I will permit the induction fallacy for the sake of my wallet.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:21 am 

So I did peek into the comments section of that review. Yeah, it's pretty standard fare there: you've got the fanboys bitching that the game isn't a perfect 10, the creeps who can't help themselves from insisting that the reviewer is still a guy, the people who are complaining about people complaining, the people who try to say "hey guys let's all just enjoy this great game" only to get shot down by others for not complaining...it's your typical release-day comments-section clusterfuck with bigotry added into the mix.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:40 am 

I may go over there and post something about how Ni No Kuni is infinity times better than GTA V and way more brutal violent and ghetto fabulous :lol:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 am 

i am confused by the direction GTA V is trying to go in terms of difficulty

i have had several moments when one shot took me down, but the game has checkpoints(think this one needs it for me anyways), but if your driving and you flip your car you just press a button and it flips back onto the correct side for some unknown reason.

also if you manage to screw up a checkpoint 3 times they gave you an option to skip that part of the game, so you can complete the game while being completely useless at the game(would never take that option myself), it just seems really confusing in that respect, either way i am enjoying it, feels a bit odd to have 3 protagonists but most likely will get past that soon, actually has some good humour in it too at times and has loads of tiny details that really add to the experience for me

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Jesus, shutup man, you sound like a pretentious fanboy.

The only cases of bans I saw were the people who were uploading videos and streaming before the game was released which is fair enough.

Interesting fanboyism when I own both consoles, Microsoft are a horrible evil company and Sony less evil.

Also that is not even slightly fair considering these people BOUGHT the game LEGALLY with THEIR OWN money and just happened to get the game early through sheer luck and the bannings happened to people who signed into Xbox live while playing it because that's Microsoft. I'm by know means a Sony fanboy, they have done horrible shit(like the rootkit scandal) and I will call them out on their bullshit but Microsoft are completely anti consumer when it comes to their products.

On a side note I'm installing now, can't wait but I understand how people don't particularly like this game. I'm just a big open world game fan.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:57 pm 

So, I'm almost done with playing through much (most?) of vanilla Skyrim. I've still got the political bit to do, and of course tons of side quests, but I've finished the main story and a lot of the other quest lines (Companions, Mages' College, Bards' College, Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood). This contains a lot of actual spoilers.

Spoiler: show
In a lot of ways, especially mechanical ones, the game is a huge improvement over Oblivion. The level-up system makes a hell of a lot more sense in Skyrim and actively encourages you to actually play in your chosen playstyle in order to build your character, whereas in Oblivion if you really wanted to min/max your character you had to game the system by playing in goofy ways. The added Perk system was also a really nice addition, as it felt like I was doing a lot more character specialization by spending perk points in certain areas and ignoring others.

However, the itemization still leaves a lot to be desired, and results in much of the game's glaring balance issues. As an example, there's a quest reward for a Thieves' Guild mission called the Amulet of Articulation. Wearing it allows you to essentially automatically pass any Persuade check in the game AND get a bonus to speechcraft on top of that. That single item basically renders the majority of the Speechcraft perk tree useless. This also applies to weapons and armor: if you max out both your blacksmithing and enchanting, you can easily create items that are vastly more powerful than any of the rare items or quest rewards the game offers you.

To put it in perspective: for a while I was using a pair of Skyforged Steel war axes (which you can just buy from a vendor) that I upgraded via smithing. I think they did on the order of around ~50 damage. However, as soon as I maxed out smithing and enchanting, I made a pair of Dragonbone war axes fully upgraded via smithing and with dual enchants on each courtesy of max enchanting. These things do nearly 400 damage plus their enchant effects. Same goes for my armor; I went from having somewhere around 200 armor to nearly 1000 in just a few seconds because of smithing. I cranked the game difficulty up to Legendary but it's still hopelessly broken; "regular" enemies still die in one or two hits and the toughest of dragons takes just a few. Kind of silly that the game is made so trivial via its own systems without doing anything exploitative at all.

Anyway, the content! I thought the Companions quest line was a huge improvement over the Fighters' Guild from Oblivion. The added werewolf stuff is just a lot more interesting. However, one of the neat rewards (lycanthropy) is really cool-seeming but basically useless. Both the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood felt a bit more fleshed out than in Oblivion, but I was pretty pissed off that assassinating the fucking EMPEROR didn't really have any impact on the world. I did this before the main story and it never even comes up, when obviously it would have far-reaching effects on the whole rest of the game. Cool in theory, but shitty execution.

So the main story...I felt like this was really well done up through the part where you visit the Graybeards and get trained, but after that it all just felt really hastily thrown together. The Blades arc was minimalist as hell and just sorta lame. Blackreach was a really cool location but also felt extremely under-utilized. Since the quest to go there to retrieve the Elder Scroll is given to you by an NPC who simultaneously gives you another quest to go there to mess with the *exact same contraption*, I feel like the place was built and the daedra quest was written then the main story quest to go there was just tacked on later. Alduin was also a really shitty villain. I mean, lore-wise he's pretty cool and well-established as a bad guy, but in-game he's just not impressive at all. People in general seem fairly aware of the return of the dragons, and they do randomly attack sometimes, but they never cause any destruction on any kind of scale other than at Helgen in the opening sequence. Plus, Alduin himself is basically a non-entity; even though he WAS the dragon that attacked Helgen, people don't even know he's around unless you tell them specifically and then they're like, "oh, Alduin is back? That sucks, dude." This dragon is supposed to be fucking BIBLICAL; he's the WORLD-EATER but he's just this sort of vague, disembodied threat that no one is even aware of despite the fact that he's apparently terrorizing Skyrim and ending the entire world. Then...Sovngarde...what a piece of shit. It LOOKED nice, but the quest was so fucking lame. Shor's Hall was full of these established legendary characters (Ysgramor, Jorgen Windcaller, Olaf One-Eye, etc.) but a) you can't even talk to them and b) they're too busy eating their feast to bother fighting the giant world-ending dragon that's eating the souls of dead heroes, so instead you get a party of the only three people in Sovngarde who apparently give a shit and they're just random people you've never heard of before. Then you go fight Alduin, and he's exactly like the hundred dragons you've already killed at this point except much easier because the NPC's tank him so you can just poke him in the ass with a butter knife until he dies. Most anti-climatic ending ever? Yes, probably.

Then again, the main story in Oblivion was kind of shitty, too, and I wasn't really captivated by any of the big story arcs there until Shivering Isles, which was truly excellent. Hopefully some of Skyrim's DLC stuff will impress me on that same scale, but as of right now I'm too burnt out on the game to even check them out, so I'll have to play them later on down the road.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm 

Oh I agree 100% mechanically I think it's a huge improvement over Oblivion but I feel some of the questlines in Oblivion were better. The dark brotherhood in Oblivion was brilliant. It was great in Skyrim don't get me wrong. As for the fighters guild v the companions. I agree 100% the fighters guild seemed tacked on at the end of Oblivion.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:37 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Open minded people politely and respectfully expressed their disagreement?

Exactly! How did you know?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:40 pm 

Duh Morrigan because it's the internet? you know the same internet that is a haven for level headed and calm discussion? ;)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:56 pm 

Obviously.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:15 pm 

BTW if you haven't picked up GTA V yet and are planning on it, Toys R Us has a deal where you get Max Payne 3, RDR, GTA IV or Midnight Club LA for free plus a 10$ gift card which you have to print (a coupon for) and bring to the store. Today only deal where a kid can be a kid.

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:24 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

That post is fairly spot on, while I admit I'm aboard the hype train and enjoying it. I don't care if one review swayed from the 10/10 formula. Also that woman who reviewed it pretty much praised it and a 9 is still an excellent score. Her review was well written and to the point and I'm only just into the game and I must admit the gratuitous violence is a bit unnerving, it seems unnecessary at points. GTA never made me feel bad for being the bad guy before but this time its a bit ehhhhh. To be honest I'm more looking forward to exploring the epic open world.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:33 pm 

Found this in the comment section. Worth reposting:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:37 pm 

I will never understand the rabid anger gamers feel when they see a game get anything less than a perfect score, particularly games they haven't played yet. Its just bizarre.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:57 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
I will never understand the rabid anger gamers feel when they see a game get anything less than a perfect score, particularly games they haven't played yet. Its just bizarre.

It's because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:07 pm 

But why is it such a major thing for gaming? Like people.don't tend to get grumpy here until you hit 50%, and nobody complains about 4 star ratings on movies, but gamers often have this insane level of "Its perfect because it has to be," plus this often happens.before the game is released.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:09 pm 

Because the most vocal crowd in modern gaming are either children or people who deal with cognitive dissonance in a very childlike way.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:07 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Thanks, I liked this. The Rome 2: Total War lynchings of these first two weeks was astounding and this article reminded me of it. The level of hatred in the Total War-game community was so high it was either "kill CA!" (the creators) or "die fanboys who aren't with us!" Obviously the big problems with the game have been ironed over already, but talk about a disaster (some of it deserved, but god damn did it separate the community).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:47 pm 

So I'm playing Outlast. My testicles have found way to their new abode in scenic "Villas de Eye Socket", adjacent to my eye balls.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:

I don't even remember the last game I played that I'd give a perfect score to. Okami, maybe? And that was a long time ago.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 pm 

I recently started gaming again after a three or four year hiatus, Portal is probably the only one I'd go that high on since picking it back up, and even then if I used a hundred point scale it'd drop back to a mid 90s. Even games I have really liked like Dishonored, Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 all have big flaws I can't ignore... kinda makes me wonder if all the games I used to find flawless growing up have these flaws which I didn't pick up on/care about and nostalgia keeps me from remembering them.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 am 

So Carolyn Petit's (insightful, blisteringly smart if not worryingly knee-jerkingly positive) review of GTA 5 is up on YouTube right meow, and the comment section makes the one on the GameSpot page look utterly sanitized in comparison. Basically everything that's wrong with the gaming community today exists on the bottom of that page. Like the outcome of a particularly violent car crash, I wouldn't recommend looking at it, yet, at the same time, I also wouldn't recommend not looking at it, yanno? This is a great opportunity to stare into the abyss.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:10 am 

GTA V is amazing so far.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 am 

SadisticGratification wrote:
GTA never made me feel bad for being the bad guy before but this time its a bit ehhhhh.

If someone wants to feel that kind of experience playing a game they should dust off a copy and pop in Manhunt 1 or 2. The former an all-tme fave of mine btw.

Rockstar is still very awesome. Reading some of the talk about RDR brings a tear of memory and nostalgia as I think that was Rockstar's magnum opus by a longshot. This current gen has produced only about four or five games that were worth playing to me and that one is king.. As mentioned a little while back, L.A. Noire felt nothing more like a showcase of graphical detail with skeletal gameplay. There was less to do in that open world than The Getaway.. I have very conflicted feelings about GTA IV. Great story and characters but Liberty City was disappointingly small with little to do as well and I can barely only remember but several missions.. Bought GTA V today and it's the first game I have EVER purchased on the day of release. Withholding judgement for a while.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 am 

I'm kind of mortified you could call GTA IV's milquetoast jab at a crime saga (and even weaker characters) "great" while dismissing that quality entirely from L.A. Noire, a game whose narrative was so far beyond GTA's that it didn't even feel like it had been created by the same team (and, surprise surprise, it mostly wasn't).

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So Carolyn Petit's (insightful, blisteringly smart if not worryingly knee-jerkingly positive) review of GTA 5 is up on YouTube right meow, and the comment section makes the one on the GameSpot page look utterly sanitized in comparison. Basically everything that's wrong with the gaming community today exists on the bottom of that page. Like the outcome of a particularly violent car crash, I wouldn't recommend looking at it, yet, at the same time, I also wouldn't recommend not looking at it, yanno? This is a great opportunity to stare into the abyss.

I dare not click. :(

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 am 

Even though some of the comments are predictably horrible, there actually were quite a few defending her and and fighting back against the tide of awful. So, actually, not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 am 

The transphobia is pretty disgusting in the comments of that video. But the saddest thing is, I'm not surprised by it at all at this point.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Even though some of the comments are predictably horrible, there actually were quite a few defending her and and fighting back against the tide of awful. So, actually, not quite as bad as I thought it was going to be.

In the hour since I posted the link it seems the tide pure sewage has ebbed a bit, if only because it's past most of the worst offenders' bedtimes. You will notice that the majority of actually nice people standing up for the reviewer are pretty few in number, though; they just post a lot.

Still, I think this comment sums up most of the opinions presented as verified fact on the page:
INJUSTICE
This man just crapped on a 5 year hard work from the angels @ Rockstar.
The angels @ Rockstar worked so hard to give us this chaotic gem of pure destruction and mayhem.
You just crapped on a 5 year effort.How do you sleep at night?
I hope some1 that has AIDS pees in your eye and you get AIDS as well.I hope your wife gets eaten by a pack of stray dogs,in front of the eyes of your 3 year old daughter...I hope the dogs than eat your daughter.
Where is Batman when you really need him?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:24 am 

Jimquisition has talked about this issue so many times, so this time he puts it in this week's Rhymedown Spectacular. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Out-Of-Ten

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:54 am 

Man I soo want to do a review of GTA V where I give it like 3/10 and then mention other barely known games as being way better. I played it for about an hour last night and found myself bored already, same old shit. That being said it's definitely better same old shit than GTA IV but not "Zomg the greatest game ever" if you ask me. Would be nice if you could upload your own songs and create a custom radio station(s) maybe you can? I haven't really explored the options enough yet. It's going to have to be the reggae station or west coast classics or just blasting my stereo over the game... Or playing more Diablo III

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:26 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
SadisticGratification wrote:
GTA never made me feel bad for being the bad guy before but this time its a bit ehhhhh.

If someone wants to feel that kind of experience playing a game they should dust off a copy and pop in Manhunt 1 or 2. The former an all-tme fave of mine btw.

Wait, what? Why would you feel bad about being James Earl Cash? It's a fight to the finish, motherfucker. If you don't kill your attackers, they're going to kill you! Dog eat dog! *kicks over chair*

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

Quote:
INJUSTICE
This man just crapped on a 5 year hard work from the angels @ Rockstar.
The angels @ Rockstar worked so hard to give us this chaotic gem of pure destruction and mayhem.
You just crapped on a 5 year effort.How do you sleep at night?
I hope some1 that has AIDS pees in your eye and you get AIDS as well.I hope your wife gets eaten by a pack of stray dogs,in front of the eyes of your 3 year old daughter...I hope the dogs than eat your daughter.
Where is Batman when you really need him?

I've been sitting here for the last several minutes thinking of something clever to say about this, but...nothing. I just can't think of anything that will make this person look any more insane and/or manchildish than they've made themselves.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 515, 516, 517, 518, 519, 520, 521 ... 940  Next