Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 pm 

It's hard to write about albums you viscerally hate, though, or at least it can be. I just finished a sub-par review of Into the Electric Castle, but yeah, it took like ten drafts for it to be half acceptable, whereas I can pop out an 80% stoner metal review in ten or so minutes..

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 am 

*licks lips in anticipation of an Ayreon ass kicking*

edit: to add some substance to the post, I could never successfully pull off a negative Ayreon review, I'd get too caught up on the blatent non-metalicness of the band and the whole prog-metal genre in general, and my review would lose all acceptability and respectability.

caspian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:40 am 

It was a pretty lame ass kicking man (it's already up, by the way, if it's a draft it gets dated to when the draft was started). There's just so much to hate about that record it's impossible to make it coherent.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 am 

MutantClannfear's LOG review makes me worried that more and more people are getting into metal through Lamb of God. What's wrong with the standard issue gateway bands: Metallica and Maiden?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:49 am 

I only just missed the LoG train, so instead came in through Machine Head so I don't know if that's an improvement. At any rate I turned cool... right? RIGHT???

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 am 

Machine Head are an improvement, maybe just for their hilarious nu metal phase or perhaps the fact that they're less ridiculous than LoG. Kids should just go for Pantera instead when it comes to groove.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:16 am 

I always found MH a large step above Pantera, and that nostalgia at the very least still has them as the best riffists in the groove scene on their good albums, still pretty shit compared to not doom though. Also their drummer is better than any of them, not too double bassy, not too thugish and dumb, I genuinely would love to see him drum for a good band.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 am 

I got into metal through Metallica followed by Iron Maiden so I'm a pretty traditional case. :P

Empyreal wrote:
A lot of people say they don't care about negative reviews, but I don't know about that. I think most people who say that are just over sensitive and hate when people say bad things about bands they like.

With that said, yeah, this bitterman guy isn't a good reviewer at all really.

I admit I dislike the concept of loosely handing out negative reviews, as you may call me naive or idealistic or whatever the hell you want, but I simply believe that someone put quite a bit of time and effort into the album, and even if it turns out to be a total piece of crap, then it deserves at least a bit of effort on the reviewer's part, so yeah, maybe I count as oversensitive in this aspect, but generally poorly justified low-rating reviews can piss me off (and sometimes they've managed to even if it was the first time I heard of the band being reviewed).

Therefore, I do have trouble with someone shitting poor quality (this guy repeats like every existing cliche of a "trve oldschvl ideological reviewer") mostly 0% reviews and don't think it's in any way healthy for the site, and definitely not useful for anyone.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 am 

@ANA: I feel like I would've taken the Iron Maiden/Metallica route through metal if I had grown up when those bands were making somewhat more waves in the mainstream, but I guess I missed out on that by a good six years at the very least. Failing that, I might have picked it up if that was what my parents listened to; but my dad likes 90s R&B and, while music wasn't ever her primary interest, the heaviest thing my mom ever owned was The Black Album (which 11-year-old me always thought was good but unremarkable). It was simply much easier at that age to start liking angsty nu-metal like Disturbed and Slipknot, then make the Rock Band DLC-assisted jump to Lamb of God, Cannibal Corpse and deathcore. I imagine it's a pretty common route nowadays, actually, and I hold no sense of outright dismissal or animosity for the more traditional metal subgenres (I still got heavily into Candlemass and Saxon early on) so I'd say there weren't any negative side effects.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 am 

How many people actually get into metal through Iron Maiden these days? Even when I was growing up, Iron Maiden was (literally) never mentioned and all the heavy rock/metal kids were into Disturbed and bands like LoG for the more "brutally" inclined fans. Maybe over in Europe it's different as IM is far more popular over there and in the southern Americas, but as far as the US goes, it's been the norm for years that LoG and Pantera were the gateway bands. No reason why it would be different for kids like MCF.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:05 pm 

I don't think people get into metal as much through the classic bands, unless they hear them very young through their parents/on the radio, but there is still a prevalent attitude among younger fans that certain classic bands are undisputably the best - Sabbath, Maiden, Slayer, and Motorhead, though I rarely hear Priest mentioned by them. I guess Pantera have worked their way into an untouchable spot for young fans too.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 pm 

I got into Extreme Metal through Nu-Metal, and I never got into the classic bands and still have not gotten into the classic bands.

That said, I still think quite a few people get into metal through bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:59 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
I got into metal through Metallica followed by Iron Maiden so I'm a pretty traditional case. :P

Empyreal wrote:
A lot of people say they don't care about negative reviews, but I don't know about that. I think most people who say that are just over sensitive and hate when people say bad things about bands they like.

With that said, yeah, this bitterman guy isn't a good reviewer at all really.

I admit I dislike the concept of loosely handing out negative reviews, as you may call me naive or idealistic or whatever the hell you want, but I simply believe that someone put quite a bit of time and effort into the album, and even if it turns out to be a total piece of crap, then it deserves at least a bit of effort on the reviewer's part, so yeah, maybe I count as oversensitive in this aspect, but generally poorly justified low-rating reviews can piss me off (and sometimes they've managed to even if it was the first time I heard of the band being reviewed).

Therefore, I do have trouble with someone shitting poor quality (this guy repeats like every existing cliche of a "trve oldschvl ideological reviewer") mostly 0% reviews and don't think it's in any way healthy for the site, and definitely not useful for anyone.

True, but to play devil's advocate it seems like a lot of people just can't accept that not everyone will like the albums they like. That's what it sounds like when people complain about a 0% for something overhyped like the new Satyricon or Gorguts. It's true those reviews weren't exactly good, but my gut tells me a lot of people would bitch about it even if the reviews were scholarly.

I got into metal via Iron Maiden, only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. ;)

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
How many people actually get into metal through Iron Maiden these days? Even when I was growing up, Iron Maiden was (literally) never mentioned and all the heavy rock/metal kids were into Disturbed and bands like LoG for the more "brutally" inclined fans. Maybe over in Europe it's different as IM is far more popular over there and in the southern Americas, but as far as the US goes, it's been the norm for years that LoG and Pantera were the gateway bands. No reason why it would be different for kids like MCF.

Well I don't know, but I've always been under the impression that Metallica and Iron Maiden are among the best choices to get people into metal, because a) they have plenty of melodic stuff (the former has known ballads, the latter uses a lot of melodic riffing overall), b) their vocal styles are obviously metal but they're generally clean vocals, and from my experience pretty much all sorts of growls or harsh vocals are the primary "scary" factor for people not into metal. I don't think I know of anyone who actually got into metal through the nu-metal or metalcore route, and I imagine vocals being the primary factor.

In terms of vocals I think Opeth is a noteworthy mention - I'm pretty sure they managed to convince a massive number of people to growls, including myself, and encountered many such opinions especially in proggy circles.

Empyreal wrote:
True, but to play devil's advocate it seems like a lot of people just can't accept that not everyone will like the albums they like. That's what it sounds like when people complain about a 0% for something overhyped like the new Satyricon or Gorguts. It's true those reviews weren't exactly good, but my gut tells me a lot of people would bitch about it even if the reviews were scholarly.

I got into metal via Iron Maiden, only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean, and that's not a good thing either. A thing I hate is e.g. what some magazines do, which is "if it's a big/famous band, IT MUST BE ALBUM OF THE MONTH", even if it's sometimes very poorly justified. Constructive criticism is a good thing, but, well... unconstructive and poorly done criticism is not.

I started with Reload. :P Followed by Master of Puppets. Then I remember some Iron Maiden, and Brave New World coming out. I had no clue what everyone meant when floating half metre above the ground and saying "OMG DICKINSON RETURNED" but I knew I liked the album. :lol:

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 pm 

I actually reacted quite negatively to Maiden and the likes when I was in my teens, mainly because of the melody, the big cleans, the fancy pants solos and the ballads, I think the "angry, pissed off attitude" and the "scariness" of harsh vocals is a much bigger draw card to kids these days.than something musically pleasant enough their parents and friends can stand. Gotta get that rebelliousness out somewhere.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm 

What's bitterman's fixation on Aus Rotten anyway? He seems to mention them in half his reviews.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:17 pm 

You can probably imagine what I felt like when I saw a review of A Natural Disaster* with the name caspian below it, but I guess I have to give it to him that even though I disagree with it with every fiber of my being, the review is decent. BE HAPPY CASPIAN.

[* one of the three albums I'd give an over 100% rating if I could]

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 am 

I used to feel the same way, and I had a very positive review up for the album, but I feel that it only resonated with me at the time to such an extent. Admittedly I have listened to it perhaps 25-30 times, and any album would lose its magic (for me) with that many listens.

75-85 for me, nowadays. The biggest problem is what caspian mentioned about the dynamics. I wholeheartedly agree: the album is simply not powerful enough when it needs to be. The production is largely at fault: the drums sound a little wimpy, and while the distorted guitar tone is superb, there isn't enough volume or kick in in. Regardless, I consider it Anathema's best since The Silent Enigma.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 am 

Well, if I had to describe how I feel about the album in a nutshell... It's not perfect. Indeed, the production could sometimes be a little better. The tone could sometimes use a bit more power. So basically, I can kind of see where you guys come from.

But it just all doesn't matter for me, because the atmosphere is one of a kind. I generally love melancholic music, I've heard many albums which felt powerful and convincing, but nothing like A Natural Disaster. The album just immerses you in its atmosphere. The subtle keyboards and the reverb/delay-filled guitar tone sound like pretty much nothing I've heard. And on the top of it all there are the vocals.

And above all, there's Violence, and I could write a post of the length of my most intimidatingly long reviews about that song alone...

Sorry if this sounds incoherent but believe me it's not easy. :P

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am 

@Ilwhyan l Read your Sapthuran review, I think that album has a few really great minimal repetitive riffy songs, but I'd say your review is pretty accurate. I've had it for awhile and only really listened to it a few times so 50% seems about right. I've had a list of disappointing albums to review for awhile it's just that I don't feel like listening to them again.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:04 am 

Lib, have you heard any post-rock? Because Anathema didn't really make up any of the sounds in that album. Not to say it's unoriginal because it isn't (mostly because of the tendency towards a huge amount of vocals), but there's nothing there that hadn't been done before, a large amount of times, even.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:06 am 

I have. I know the album is not a reinvention of the universe or whatever, but the way they mixed different components with their core sound, and that pretty unique Anathema feel, makes the album really different than anything else.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:56 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
@Ilwhyan l Read your Sapthuran review, I think that album has a few really great minimal repetitive riffy songs, but I'd say your review is pretty accurate. I've had it for awhile and only really listened to it a few times so 50% seems about right. I've had a list of disappointing albums to review for awhile it's just that I don't feel like listening to them again.

I agree, there are some rather great riffs, but the implementation doesn't allow them to shine, and none of them manage to raise the album as a whole from mediocrity. Still, if it weren't for those good riffs, it would've got something below 50% from me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:47 pm 

For anyone who read my new review before this very minute, I apologise for publishing before proofreading (old habit from my earlier days), everything's fixed now to my knowledge.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:07 pm 

This passage from TyphonTheMetalNerd's recent Magister Templi review threw me a grin:

"The opening to Lucifer had me scratching my head for a few moments as I tried to figure out how Pantera’s Rock The World and Van Halen’s Running With The Devil somehow collided on my iPod..."

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/M ... eMetalNerd
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:13 pm 

This review is pretty shitty in my opinion and should probably be rejected. Giving 100% to this album truly indicates he doesn't know much about doom since it's a 75 at best. People throwing 100% everywhere. :grumble:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:16 am 

:lol: He doesn't know much about doom because he disagrees with you.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:26 am 

Does this mean I can delete everyone else's reviews of Illud Divinum Insanus?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:53 pm 

Finally finished my review of Liturgy's Renihilation - and I think I'm fairly proud of it.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:39 pm 

A bit late here, but I got through metal mostly through Maiden and Metallica, and I'm not exactly that old. Master of Puppets was the first album I bought. Sure, the agression of stuff like LoG can be attractive to a teenager, but there's something timeless abput those classic bands that just made me seek out everything like it I could find.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:12 pm 

I don't know, but I've just met very few people my age (as in, when I was a teenager, and up until now) who were actually looking for "aggression" and for most the problem with metal or metal-related music was that it was actually, well, too heavy or too aggressive for them. Therefore any chance of convincing them is rather the Iron Maiden/Metallica route than the angry stuff.

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:36 pm 

Andromeda_Unchained's review for Stormwinds of Ages is quite accurate.

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/V ... _Unchained

Yeah, yeah. First post and I'm already blowing someone. Eh, I'll contribute later.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:43 pm 

I feel ready to review some stuff I've got lately, included that maligned Satyricon's self titled.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:49 pm 

Yayayayayay got accepted.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:56 pm 

Despite the 85% you gave it, it's a good review. You're really establishing yourself as a true enemy of metal!

I wrote the 11th part of my French doom series with Barabbas, a cool doom/stoner band. Think mid era Cathedral with rough French vocals. I have 2 other series planned (British prog metal, already wrote 2 for this one) and Italian doom but I want to review the new In Solitude too!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:50 pm 

I really haven't felt like doing any music reviews in a long time now. Guess I just haven't been hit with the muse.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:20 pm 

Man, got another (rather long) email from a band I trashed thanking me for giving them an honest opinion. They actually said they've taken a lot of what I said into account for their next recording. I wonder how dickish I'd have to be to get some actual hatemail.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:28 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Man, got another (rather long) email from a band I trashed thanking me for giving them an honest opinion. They actually said they've taken a lot of what I said into account for their next recording. I wonder how dickish I'd have to be to get some actual hatemail.

Nah, I made a review for a local band once and it was in the 70-79% score (for another website long time ago) without bashing it at all but the band still sent me a email asking why such a low score, being them so incredible. It's just good/bad luck I guess.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:59 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

Yeah, those kinds of things are weird. Some guy who's good friends with the dudes in Kill for Satan emailed me after I posted the review for their debut and basically wanted to address all of my negative criticism and reassure me that it was stuff that they were aware of.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:42 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Despite the 85% you gave it, it's a good review. You're really establishing yourself as a true enemy of metal!

The Disembowelment review almost redeems it. Almost.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 520  Next