Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:02 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Atropus wrote:
Tool are alternative metal, so it's easy to understand the confusion.

I also think the whole "Tool are progressive" thing is really overrated. In my opinion, without their visual element, they sound like ordinary rock n roll.

They really don't. Are you insane!!! They're one of the most original band of their generation.

Sorry, I tried....... I honestly did, I tried listening to entire albums through.

..... just don't see it.

The song "Sober" had a nice dark ring to it, and their music videos are top-of-class, but I just don't see how "mind blowing" their music is, by the standards of everyone else......

Maybe it's because I've been suckling the teat of black/death/doom metal, dark ambient, goth/darkwave, neofolk, and industrial noise for so long that I forgot what rock n roll sounds like..... :???:

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:14 pm 

I really don't listen to Rock & Roll, or Tool for that matter. But if I'm corect, Rock & Roll is more of that Elvis Presley sound, isn't it? I doub't Tool sounds like Elvis.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 pm 

I'm going to get plastered for this one, but I heard a lot of the 1990-era pre-grunge explosion in Tool, but cleaned up and with longer and more "psychedelic" songs, if that makes sense.
Definitely a lot of Alice in Chains influences, but without the "yarling".....

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:38 pm 

Personally, while Tool definitely does have a recognisable style and I enjoyed what I've heard from them, many people talk about them like if they were the most revolutionary thing to ever happen to music but... I just don't see that. You can definitely recognise them when you hear them, but, say, Deftones or SOAD are pretty much equally unique. I don't understand the incredibly huge amounts of praise they get sometimes... it's a good band, but it sometimes sounds like they're the return of Jesus or something.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:31 pm 

I don't really care about their originality. That's not much of a factor for me. They just kind of sound like a darker hybrid of Led Zeppelin with most of the blues and folk elements excised, plus a healthy dose of King Crimson, but through the lens of people who started jamming while Jane's Addiction and Faith No More were big. I just like them because they conjure up a good atmosphere, have cool riffs, and mesmerizing drum patterns. I get that Maynard is something of a love-or-hate situation, but I like his voice well enough.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:18 am 

Re Tool: Undertow and Aenema are respectable albums, but I never really got into anything after those.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:36 am 

Atropus wrote:

I also think the whole "Tool are progressive" thing is really overrated. In my opinion, without their visual element, they sound like ordinary rock n roll.

Tool have toured with YOB. I don't think a mere 'rock n roll' band would dare to invite a band like YOB to tour with them. Besides, Danny Carey's drumming doesn't sound like it could fit a 'rock n roll' band. So, I'd classify them as just experimental rock to avoid the obvious cliches. Definitely they've some progressive and industrial vibe in their sound and experimental rock covers it all.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 am 

Atropus wrote:

Progressive rock. I really dislike the "alternative metal" label that gets thrown around since it gets used on tons of bands that aren't metal (I've seen it used for various nu-metal bands but it's used like nobody's business), especially since there's no such thing as "alternative metal". Same thing with "post-metal". Just because there's alternative rock and post-rock does not mean the same thing exists in metal.

I have a handful of nu-metal on me but I don't listen to it much. Butcher Babies (I assume they're nu-metal? They're not metal I know that), early Chimaira, Coal Chamber, Deftones, Demon Hunter (another I presume to be nu-metal), Ektomorf, Five Finger Death Punch, Korn, mid-era Machine Head, Nothingface, Psychostick, Sepultura's Roots, Slipknot, Stone Sour, most Soulfly, hell I still have a soft spot for LP because they were my gateway from my VG and Weird Al Yankovic phase, and in a way my gateway to industrial rock (had I heard it before LP I would've possibly hated it). I know, that's a big handful of nu-metal (I have a lot of deathcore and metalcore too, but that's for another time). Yes, I still listen to it, but I prefer actual metal over it. It feels more creative and enjoyable, personally.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:32 am 

Here's another criminally underrated NM band, American Head Charge. Groovy catchy tunes that nobody should feel ashamed to check out. The War Of Art is one of the best products the whole movement has produced. They may not be able to play their instruments as crazily as Limp Bizkit(laugh all you want, but the drummer is a mad beast) or Slipknot(As I said before, not many extreme metal guitarists can riff it out as well as Root and Thompson) but they write much better songs.

EDIT: Grammar.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 am 

Atropus wrote:
I'm going to get plastered for this one, but I heard a lot of the 1990-era pre-grunge explosion in Tool, but cleaned up and with longer and more "psychedelic" songs, if that makes sense.
Definitely a lot of Alice in Chains influences, but without the "yarling".....

Plastered? Why? That's pretty much the truth. I enjoyed them some in 96/97 or so but the attraction faded, though I do think they're a band with considerable skill. Their "progressive" nature essentially involves some linear songwriting and the tendency to accent triplets in 4/4 time, as Ilwhyan clarified some time back...gets predictable after you've become acclimatised fo a few albums.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

I try to find stuff in every genre that floats my boat. There's a lot of nu-metal I like.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:54 pm 

i find myself listening to American Head Charge at times...that, voice..
those lyrics are pretty real as well..

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:21 pm 

As open-minded as many people on this board might profess to be, just take a look at how the reviews are written for Burn My Eyes. Not good because it's not thrash? Pffffft.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:14 pm 

Eh, American Head Charge have a few alright songs but a lot of it sounds much too dated, an example of is Just So You Know, which sounds so predictable from the nasally clean singing (with kooky effect), the clean build up to yelling conclusion so incredibly overused, to the guitar work that follows all the tried and tested cues of previous nu-metal bands.. The chorus is basically the only thing that saves it from not totally sucking. Alright for the time as it fit right in but totally eye-roll worthy these days. Also I really wouldn't call them underrated, during the time of The Art is War, they became very popular and were featured in magazines constantly, reviewers were basically sucking their cock there was that much love for them. I probably would've bought an album too if record stores near me actually stocked them. They were featured in countless official compilations around that time too.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:06 pm 

I'm actually quite open with my tastes, but aside from the many metal genres I love, there's loads of other goth/industrial/ambient/neo-classical/neofolk/noise/post-punk out there that I don't need to waste my time with wigger rock....

Now listening to "Love" by the Cult as I type this....

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:28 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Eh, American Head Charge have a few alright songs but a lot of it sounds much too dated, an example of is Just So You Know, which sounds so predictable from the nasally clean singing (with kooky effect), the clean build up to yelling conclusion so incredibly overused, to the guitar work that follows all the tried and tested cues of previous nu-metal bands.. The chorus is basically the only thing that saves it from not totally sucking. Alright for the time as it fit right in but totally eye-roll worthy these days. Also I really wouldn't call them underrated, during the time of The Art is War, they became very popular and were featured in magazines constantly, reviewers were basically sucking their cock there was that much love for them. I probably would've bought an album too if record stores near me actually stocked them. They were featured in countless official compilations around that time too.

I can see where you are coming from, and it does fit how you describe it..
That song is about rape, and a personal encounter to that subject (with the artist) it seems to fit very well with how they organized it, in my eyes. It isn't the best thing they put out; they do have quite a few songs I would not listen to often or again that is..
This, 'genre' thing totally bugs me. I see music as art.
As 'energy'.. If it lures the aural components, I am all for it...
It doesn't mean I will listen to Coal Chamber or 311, Slighty Stoopid and the likes.
Over my dead body

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 pm 

Atropus wrote:
I'm actually quite open with my tastes, but aside from the many metal genres I love, there's loads of other goth/industrial/ambient/neo-classical/neofolk/noise/post-punk out there that I don't need to waste my time with wigger rock....

Now listening to "Love" by the Cult as I type this....

listening to ambient/darkwave/neo-folk/whatever in addition to metal is about as open as a locked treasure chest inside a cabin of the titanic, a kilometer down on the ocean floor. everyone does that, and everyone uses it as evidence of their supposed open-mindedness.

you wanna be open-minded? step outside the box and listen to house music. or hip hop. or "wigger rock". or anything else that's not any of the above. all those genres you listed can be solidly lumped in one big meta-genre, and very easily labeled "non-metal for metalheads."

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:51 pm 

^ I really dislike this kind of statements. Of course listening to stuff from a totally different planet is more "open-minded" or whatever you want, but still listening more to just one strict genre of music is a certain level of openness and it doesn't take a long time on the internet to find that out.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 pm 

no offence man, but i've read that post over a few times and i can't make out what you're trying to say. can you rephrase it?

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 pm 

Basically: listening to hip-hop and house besides metal (or any other exotic combination of genres) is not the only way of being open-minded. Listening to folk and ambient besides metal may be less spectacular and give you smaller "uber open-minded" readings on the detector, but it still counts as open-minded to a very reasonable extent.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm 

Well, I think it's important to listen to more than one genre of music, but there's also taste involved...... I like my music to be from "the dark side" so to speak, why should I listen to hip-hop for no other reason than to step outside of the box if it's not the kind of sound or aesthetic I can enjoy???
I can respect hip-hop, to a degree, but I can't enjoy it.

As for "non-metal for metalheads", I've met a huge number of metalheads who hate anything to do with gothic or electronic stuff.
They're just attracted to a different aspect of the subculture than I am.....

Blood_Red87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm 

Nope. Haven't cared for the genre since 2001 when I was still in high school. Pretty much entry level "metal".

I'll admit though, it was a lot better genre to delve into during my teenage years than all the shitty pop-punk and mainstream rap/hip-hop that was all over the Billboard charts and MTV at the time.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 pm 

Atropus wrote:
Well, I think it's important to listen to more than one genre of music, but there's also taste involved...... I like my music to be from "the dark side" so to speak, why should I listen to hip-hop for no other reason than to step outside of the box if it's not the kind of sound or aesthetic I can enjoy???
I can respect hip-hop, to a degree, but I can't enjoy it.

As for "non-metal for metalheads", I've met a huge number of metalheads who hate anything to do with gothic or electronic stuff.
They're just attracted to a different aspect of the subculture than I am.....

have you noticed that there are/has been 'dark' hip hop out there? it is not my favorite of a taste yet i could go for some good bass bumpin at times..
why not just not worry about who is attracted to what, and be about yourself. be your own motherfucker you know what i mean?

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

Indeed...... so in that case, I think I've already gone into more than enough detail as to why I don't like nu-metal.

Others can listen as they please....

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:08 pm 

I try to find stuff in all genres that caters tone (when you've found gangsta rap, dubstep, noise, country and bloody jazz fusion that makes you happy, you realise it's possible to find diamonds in shit. Plus I listen to lots of black metal. When I'm hanging up posters of guys who look like a goth division of the KISS army, I kind of feel as though I've forfeited any right to treat music with stone-faced seriousness)

Still, to nu-metal. I will lay my sins bare!

think Limp Bizkit are fun in that low-brow juvenile kind of way. Plus I like the way people weird out when they look at my CD collection and see LB next to Leviathan, Leukkorrhea and Leng T'che.
I think the 1st, 2nd and 4th Korn albums have good tracks
First American Head Charge album rules
Mushroomhead have some good albums
Love SOAD
Love Slipknot
Some Static-X is fun

And while not nu-metal per se it was still the biggest casualty of the genres popularity - for it's caveman levels of simplicity, it's impotent rage and unnecessary amount of curse words, I adore God Hates Us All. It's a terrible Slayer album, it's a great mindless shout and headband anthology though.

And, while he's more goth rock than anything, I'll just throw this out because I've already written enough to warrant the metal police coming to confiscate my studs and all my Black Sabbath first pressings - I fucking LOVE the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th Marilyn Manson albums.

That's everything!

(Keep thinking of putting all my nu metal amidst all the Sadistik Exekution, Beherit, Destroyer666 and Blasphemy CDs just to amuse myself by contrast alone, and to mystify people when they see it)

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm 

Calling Marilyn Manson goth is opening a whole new can of maggots ;)

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am 

TheLiberation wrote:
Basically: listening to hip-hop and house besides metal (or any other exotic combination of genres) is not the only way of being open-minded. Listening to folk and ambient besides metal may be less spectacular and give you smaller "uber open-minded" readings on the detector, but it still counts as open-minded to a very reasonable extent.

i'm not suggesting that listening to any of the genres i listed is being open minded at all - i just threw those genres out there cause they're usually the ones metalheads are least likely to listen to. and i would argue that listening to ambient/neofolk stuff is in no way indicative of open-mindedness: it's far too common/popular among metalheads to be any real indication of anything. at this point, it's on the same level as opeth's acoustic album.

and shit, if ulver has more than a handful of fans that don't also like metal or aren't 'retired' metalheads, i'll eat my hat. does that prove anything? nope, but damn if it doesn't set off my "hey, what a minute..." alarm.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:18 am 

_MFMGW_ wrote:
when you've found gangsta rap, dubstep, noise, country and bloody jazz fusion that makes you happy, you realise it's possible to find diamonds in shit

i've always kinda found that certain sounds appeal to me, regardless of the genre they come wrapped in. for instance, i really like the chord progressions bands like oasis, days of the new, DMX and others use, but the truth is these songs are always only about half a step away from being pretty easily "metalified": make oasis a bit heavier, you've got later-era sentenced. days of the new with distortion would be almost indistinguishable from acid bath. DMX (ok this is a stretch, haha) could be turned into biohazard or body count (also, DMX has a kinda tough vocal approach, i dig.) and i'm sure there are other genres with these similar song structures and such, that i'd just as happily pick up. so in a sense, i'm really never travelling outside my comfort zone at all.

one day the martians are gonna show up and we are going to be BLOWN AWAY at whatever they're calling music!

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 am 

Funny, conspiracists say that it was the aliens who invented Classical Music.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 am 

To be fair to the country genre, I actually like quite a bit of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, and Stompin' Tom. More the stuff that's closer to folk, none of this "rock n country" garbage. Some of Leonard Cohen's and Nick Cave's stuff gets pretty close to country as well.

House??? Well, I didn't mind some of the "acid house" Psychic TV, dabbled in, and I've heard Zola Jesus referred to as "witch house"...

Of course, I've always loved the sound of a haunting jazz saxophone..... think Ulver's "Lost in Moments" or several of David Lynch's soundtracks.

But the point stands that most of us are drawn to certain aesthetics in music that can be translated across the genre and subculture barriers, especially those of us especially passionate about music or active as musicians.

Nu-metal and hip hop don't match those aesthetics I look for, nor are they the only underground genres I dislike. I also have a healthy dislike for metalcore, dubstep, electro-clash, the majority of grunge/post-grunge/alt. rock, and "digital hardcore" (shit like Atari Teenage Riot or Mindless Self Indulgence)
To me, that's the soundtrack of an American suburb. I can't relate to it.

Goth/industrial/ambient/folk, along with metal, is more compatible with my need to be constantly immersed in a dark fantasy atmosphere and reflects my love for occultism and romanticism, and the need to believe that there's more to this life than the monotonous routine of ordinary day-to-day existence.....

And for other stuff I like that most metalheads hate: I like quite a bit of new wave...... Depeche Mode, Kim Wilde, Visage, etc.

So....... if goth/folk/ambient is "non-metal for metalheads", is nu-metal, metalcore, and alternative metal considered "metal for non-metalheads"????

_MFMGW_
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 am 

Turner wrote:

one day the martians are gonna show up and we are going to be BLOWN AWAY at whatever they're calling music!

Likewise, their minds will be blown by ours.
Sod technology, THAT'S a cultural exchange I want.

Stephen Hawking once said there's a possibility that aliens would be embarrassingly similar to us.
I'm picturing Starfleet, but they only invite you into their galactic community if your species' equivalent of Venom is good. Similar to Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy where every single culture in the universe has a drink called "gin and tonic", every species has a band called Venom.
Also; intra-galactic wars over the best Bathory album.

I've forgotten what we were talking about.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:09 pm 

Turner wrote:
TheLiberation wrote:

i'm not suggesting that listening to any of the genres i listed is being open minded at all - i just threw those genres out there cause they're usually the ones metalheads are least likely to listen to. and i would argue that listening to ambient/neofolk stuff is in no way indicative of open-mindedness: it's far too common/popular among metalheads to be any real indication of anything. at this point, it's on the same level as opeth's acoustic album.

and shit, if ulver has more than a handful of fans that don't also like metal or aren't 'retired' metalheads, i'll eat my hat. does that prove anything? nope, but damn if it doesn't set off my "hey, what a minute..." alarm.

It's fairly obvious some genres are going to appeal to fans of a certain genre more than others, but just because it works like that it doesn't make it less open-minded. There's lots of metalheads who won't accept anything that doesn't sound like Slayer (or insert any other flagship band of an established metal genre) and consider a stylistic change something like a crime against music. Someone listening to 2/3 of all metal sub-genres plus folk and ambient may not be accepted by the "absolutely true openminded elite of the universe", but discarding that as not open-minded enough is pure pretentiousness in my opinion, sorry.

Also, I personally know two Ulver fans who barely listen to any metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:16 pm 

Well, Ulver haven't been metal for fifteen years, so that's not really that interesting to point out.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm 

Well, his point is, if I understood correctly, that they've kinda become "non-metal for metalheads".

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 pm 

I really liked Perdition City, and their cover of "In the Kingdom of the Blind......" by Dead Can Dance, but kinda lost track of them after they started making post rock that sounded like they were trying to squeeze every possible sound imaginable into a 3-minute song.

AnimeDad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

A year or two of dipping one's toes in indie stuff and electronic music is enough to make you realize Ulver are a joke who never brought anything new to any table.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 pm 

That said, Perdition City was still cool.....

Like a darker, jazzier take on "Dead Cities" by Future Sound of London, one of my first ambient albums.....

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:13 am 

AnimeDad wrote:
A year or two of dipping one's toes in indie stuff and electronic music is enough to make you realize Ulver are a joke who never brought anything new to any table.

Their electronic approach might not be completely original but that hardly makes them a joke.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:31 pm 

I kinda like post-Thrash Soulfly (sorry but I do), I have listened to Slipknot pretty intensively, I still can't say I hate it, it's insanely mainstream, sure, but that doesn't make it worse, and remember there was once a time where "Roots" was ALMOST mainstream ;)

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:55 pm 

Deftones Diamond Eyes (hmm, checking it, it seems this one is not tagged as nu-metal, well, whatever) rules in my book, tied with Sepultura Roots for first place. I also enjoy Slipknot's Vol.3.

I also can't understand why almost everyone in this thread tries to kind of apologize for listening to some nu-metal. It's not accepted into the archives by the site standards, and that's it, there's no rule imposing you must dislike any genre here.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next