Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:58 am 

Like this.

theunrelentingattack
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:24 pm 

Can a mod toss a note on this profile based on this report?

http://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/438650

Sorry if you think I shouldn't have removed the photo but this seems like a situation that's not a whitewash, just a simple request that a picture gets removed. It seemed like the right thing to do in this case.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:48 pm 

Yeah. Note added.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:04 pm 

Thanks

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:03 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Yeah. Note added.

He actually just asked me if the report could be deleted or his e-mail removed from it. he only thought Mods would see it not available to the public. I don't really know if that's possible.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:07 pm 

I can't edit reports, but I'll just nuke the whole thing.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:47 am 

Okay, so, what exactly are we to do about Goatskrieg? I'm not entirely sure that they're a legitimate band, and if they are then they're most certainly bullshitting out every direction.

Okay, for one, their country of origin is listed as Svalbard, which is...lol. (This is why we really need an "Unknown" option for country of origin. :( ) But bands can lie about their country of origin and still be legitimate (Infertile Surrogacy are most certainly a band despite claiming to be from the Congo), so how about something more substantial: despite allegedly releasing their albums between 1996 and 2000, they all use a font for their cover artwork which wasn't developed until 2005. That, and there's no music online or definite proof of physical release. The label via which they allegedly re-released the second album, "Nordusk", turns up 0 label-related results on Google save for their MA page. This label apparently never signed any other bands, either. The third release, an EP, was allegedly released on 1,000 CD copies and 200 LP copies. So it's even stranger that somehow none of these 1,200 copies has been added to the Discogs database yet, when Discogs requires albums to only be submitted if the submitter physically owns a copy, right? (Also, why is the cover art for that album shaped like a cassette tape if it was only released on CD and LP? :roll:)

I'm not saying the band should be deleted, and I don't doubt that the music exists (though it may be stolen), but... what do you do when the band are obviously lying? Keep the false info there? Remove the album entries due to unknown release date and just leave the tracklisting in the additional notes? :scratch:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:17 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
despite allegedly releasing their albums between 1996 and 2000, they all use a font for their cover artwork which wasn't developed until 2005.

Huh, I'm very tempted to just delete the whole entry based on this alone. Casts doubt on the whole valid release thing, also considering your other points. Then again, this reviewer talks about having bought physical copies, might be worth contacting him. Also the covers could simply be fakes.

Why is Svalbard a country option anyway? Isn't it technically part of Norway?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:34 am 

*shrug* Beats me why it's listed there. Maybe one of the admins is in on the Goatskrieg shenanigans and added it just for them. :P I'm doubtful that that guy's still around on MA, since he doesn't have any albums in his collection that are more recent than 2006, but I'll send him a short email anyways. Can't hurt to try.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 pm 

Okay, email sent. Other possible relevant details I've gathered:

I dunno, doesn't it just strike you as kind of fishy that this band somehow managed to exist for 10 years and yet somehow only left any traces of their existence between six months of 2006? :???:

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:32 pm 

...it amazes me the lengths to which people will go simply to get something added to this site. There are people who put less effort into raising their kids than this guys appears to have put into faking a project.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:54 pm 

But wait, there's more! Here's a guy mentioning that he's in Goatskrieg on a teen discussion board (note that this was in February 2006, two months before the band was submitted to MA, so I'm inclined to believe this was one of the supposed band members).

The band was also added to Wikipedia around that time too, then swiftly deleted. I'm inclined to believe that that would have also been one of the supposed band members, since it's highly unlikely that anybody could have known about them beforehand. One of the commenters supporting the article's deletion there mentions that the article stated "Only touring around Europe the band never made widly successful into mainstream Black Metal". So... a band who not only released multiple albums, but toured around Europe (not a single town, but multiple countries in Europe), has no traces of physical existence. :| Okay.

That's all that Google has turned up for the band all-in-all, but I think the evidence has led me to believe that this was basically some dumb kid's fantasy black metal band. That they seemingly only generate discussion on the Internet because of their supposed origins in Svalbard really doesn't help their case at all.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:13 pm 

Do you one better. The article on Wikipedia about the band has been deleted three times. Cache and archive searches only turn up a shell of the page, and no actual content. But, as an administrator of the Marvel Comics Database Project on Wikia, I'm aware of another wiki on Wikia dedicated to reposting pages deleted from Wikipedia, The Speedy Deletion Wiki. Sure enough, they have archived the June 2013 copy of the Goatskrieg page that was deleted from Wikipedia. Bizarrely enough, the user who created the page requested his userpage be deleted the day after adding the page.

Edit: Something I had not noticed at first glance, but the Speedy Deletion page links to a post on a French forum with an announcement of the live guitarist's death.

BastardHead wrote:

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:53 pm 

Nice digging-work! I remember the band has been suspected before, but I don't think it's been investigated as thoroughly as this.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:22 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Edit: Something I had not noticed at first glance, but the Speedy Deletion page links to a post on a French forum with an announcement of the live guitarist's death.

For what it's worth, this was probably taken from the Myspace page, not a third-party source (as far as we can tell, the "band's" only official website was their Myspace page, and it's written in the first person). I hardly think that somebody mentioning their post on another website legitimizes it.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:29 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I hardly think that somebody mentioning their post on another website legitimizes it.

No, not at all. The post actually has something under the quoted section to the effect of "from Myspace blog". But it stood out since, looking over all the links you provided, it's one of the only things I saw dealing directly with the Myspace profile before the site's revamp wiped all the info.

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 am 

I've deleted them. In case the submitter answers and against all odds this turns out to be 100% genuine it can be restored. I've also taken a couple of screenshots of artist pages, album lineups, etc... as well as saved the two reviews. But as it is now, this is most definitely bullshit in some form or another.

Nice detective work, guys.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am 

Hey,
I've tried searching for this in the forum but it's generic enough that narrowing it down to something that's relevant is hard - in terms of adding albums to collections - while I know you can click on the link on the top left to get to your collection - has there been any discussion about some kind of label within the band page to see it?

So for instance...I'm a Nunslaughter collection and I go to their page and add the ones I have to my collection. I keep track of what I need through that page. I can click on my collection and see what I have but then I have to go to the Nunslaughter page and figure out what I don't have. What would be really nice is if on the discography page there would be an icon next to the release indicating that you have it in your collection. Alternately, if you click on the release it could say it there instead but the former would be the most desirable - this way you can see what you have and what you don't have in your collection on one page. Has this been brought up before or any chance this can get considered for something down the road?

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:22 pm 

So a band member dies, and the band says in their announcement of his passing that they are unsure whether the band will continue. Do we mark the band as Unknown? Or should we leave them as Active until a decision is made?

BastardHead wrote:

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:42 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
So a band member dies, and the band says in their announcement of his passing that they are unsure whether the band will continue. Do we mark the band as Unknown? Or should we leave them as Active until a decision is made?

If you are going to change it sounds like a great candidate for "on-hold" instead.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:14 pm 

Let's wait and see for now.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:55 am 

theunrelentingattack wrote:
Hey,
I've tried searching for this in the forum but it's generic enough that narrowing it down to something that's relevant is hard - in terms of adding albums to collections - while I know you can click on the link on the top left to get to your collection - has there been any discussion about some kind of label within the band page to see it?

This would possibly be more on-topic in the Software feedback thread. Anyway, good idea imo.

theunrelentingattack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 am 

RonimuZ wrote:
theunrelentingattack wrote:
Hey,

This would possibly be more on-topic in the Software feedback thread. Anyway, good idea imo.

Got it. Moved over there. Thanks

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:16 pm 

Role: "Messianic inspiration". Huh? No idea what kinda bullshit role this is, but I'm inclined to kill it.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:45 pm 

Obscurum wrote:
Role: "Messianic inspiration". Huh? No idea what kinda bullshit role this is, but I'm inclined to kill it.

Yeah, roles like that generally go in the additional notes. Executive producers should go in the lineup, while A&R can go in the additional notes.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:06 pm 

Why does A&R not get a slot in the line-up?

And, to throw out the next question I'll likely have, if the person credited with A&R has a page on the site already, can they be credited in the line-up?

EDIT: Tacking on to this previous post instead of making multiples. Why do we transliterate artist names? I see it done very often to artists with Cyrillic names, and fairly often, but somewhat less frequently, to artists with Japanese names (or any other Asian dialect, for that matter). We had a huge push to publish song titles, album titles and lyrics in their proper languages when v2 was introduced, so it seems kind of backwards that we transliterate/translate artist names into a bastardized English instead of displaying their actual name.

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 104167
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:02 pm 

Should the album that has one version with the lyrics in the native language and the other version with the English lyrics be considered as one release in the discography section?

Ratos de Porão have Brasil / Brazil, but their Feijoada Acidente? have two entries;
Barón Rojo have two entries for Volumen Brutal;
Trust have two entries for Repression etc.

How it should be, two different-in-language versions with two entries or with one entry with both tracklists and explanation in the additional notes?

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:43 pm 

aeternus1990 wrote:
Should the album that has one version with the lyrics in the native language and the other version with the English lyrics be considered as one release in the discography section?

Ratos de Porão have Brasil / Brazil, but their Feijoada Acidente? have two entries;
Barón Rojo have two entries for Volumen Brutal;
Trust have two entries for Repression etc.

How it should be, two different-in-language versions with two entries or with one entry with both tracklists and explanation in the additional notes?

Alhadis said something about this a while back ... If only the vocals are different, then they only need one entry; if the musical portions are different versions, then that warrants separate entries. As such, a mod's gonna have to take care of the unacceptable album pages, assuming they are musically identical.

MODS: Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sciera
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 pm 

@MetalCuresHeadaches: Normally I'd only add transliterations when the band uses them themselves - which is quite often the case. I guess such official transliterations, and old data of v1, is the source of most of the transliterated names.
Also, it might help avoiding duplicate entries of artists when two different ways of spelling them are searchable.
I'm not completely sure what the current policy on it is, though.

@Obscurum: You should be right - else the discographies of Sabaton and Chthonic would need an update.
In the case of Ratos de Porão and Trust the tracklists/song lengths are quite different so they actually are different releases. But the two entries of Barón Rojo's Volumen Brutal should probably be merged to one, there is just a review that needs to be moved before.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:15 pm 

Someone is going around and changing bands' Facebook links in such a way that when one clicks on them they're directed to the FB page's "about" section instead of the main page. Was there an official consensus on this? If not, I'd be more than happy to change them back. In case what I'm talking about is not clear, here's what I mean:

An example of a band's Facebook page with the main page displayed upon clicking:
https://www.facebook.com/darkfuneral

An example of a band's Facebook page with the "about" section displayed upon clicking:
https://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondmer ... al?sk=info

Frankly, I find the latter example to be annoying. I mean, often times Facebook band pages serve as a center for pertinent band updates, such as tour dates and upcoming album info. I really don't think fans, many of who will already know a great deal of information about the band's history, will be visiting their FB pages for reasons other than what was previously stated. I think whoever is doing this needs to stop and an official notice of some kind should be made about it. Like I said, I'd be more than happy to go around and revert these links back to their prior state, with proper mod discretion, of course.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 pm 

^I think it might have something to do with your browser/configuration. Both King Diamond and Dark Funeral's Facebook links work just fine for me. And neither link has been updated in quite some time anyway (well, aside from the one I just edited before posting this).

EDIT: Oh, it's perfectly fine to "correct" the links by "trimming them off" to just the main address.

Code:
http://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondmercyfulfateofficial/info
to
Code:
http://www.facebook.com/kingdiamondmercyfulfateofficial

In that example, the "/info" is unnecessary. I also see a lot of links that end in "?ref=ts". Not sure why they are so prevalent ... Links should ideally point directly to the main page.

Or links like this:
Code:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dream-Theater/7677942180?ref=ts
Which should be replaced with
Code:
http://www.facebook.com/dreamtheaterofficial

Last edited by Obscurum on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 pm 

I don't think that has anything to do with it, considering it's only like this for some bands' FB page links.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:48 pm 

If anyone is changing links from the main Facebook page to the info page, I'd consider that point whoring. If they're just added that way in the first place, feel free to fix it and don't worry about it. Linking to the front/main page, the lowest common directory of a site that is dedicated to the band/label/artist, would be the ideal URL to link.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:40 am 

So what is the policy on vanity labels? And I don't mean a label like Sony, or Metal Blade, but a "label" that is created and owned by a band specifically and solely to release their music, such as Heavil Music, a label started by Canadian thrash group Spewgore to release their music. These still get a label entry, even if they're only for one specific band, right?

BastardHead wrote:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:29 pm 

Yes.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 am 

FYI: It is okay to add re-releases if they were issued under a new (separate page) band name. There has been internal discussion about this, turns out a number of other staffers and most importantly the owners have always been okay with this. It's been sort of a misunderstanding/lack of communication among the mods that the contrary was enforced sometimes (including by yours truly). Sorry about that.

For example, these are all allowed:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Je ... tem/230492
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Go ... cks/390730
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ra ... Out/390731

Oh, and on another note, capitalisation in the genre field stays the same (Obscurum will understand ;) ).

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Oh, and on another note, capitalisation in the genre field stays the same (Obscurum will understand ;) ).

:nods:

So that means, for example, that this can now be listed under The Kovenant's page?

And that also now means that name-change bands who have re-released material under their new name are now eligible for admission to the site?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:17 am 

Obscurum wrote:
So that means, for example, that this can now be listed under The Kovenant's page?

Yes.

Obscurum wrote:
And that also now means that name-change bands who have re-released material under their new name are now eligible for admission to the site?

No, because the requirement for original material still holds.

Obscurum
Emperor of the Shadows

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:32 am 

Hadn't even listed the album for five minutes and already two reports ... :roll:

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:30 am 

Azmodes wrote:

I thought I had heard from him about a month ago that there had some been discussion in the mod-forum and some mods (you being one of them) had decided that reports where users suggest a change from "??? metal" to "??? Metal" were too nitpicky for a report, and were being discouraged. So the capitalization stays the same, then is it okay to send those sort of reports, or are they too minor?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 39  Next