Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
antonthereaper
Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
antonthereaper wrote:
I would have to say Avenged Sevenfold! They started out as Metalcore then turned into generic rock/metal.
(Yeah, this is probably a laughable example but it's still a valid one!)

They were never grind, death or black metal though, were they? A friend of mine who has no interest in "extreme" metal whatsoever seems to have liked them for many years, and nothing I've heard from them has been anywhere close to those genres.

That's why i said "laughable example". Have you listened to their first 2 albums tho? I would say there much closer to death and grind than what they make now!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:25 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:

That's why i said "laughable example". Have you listened to their first 2 albums tho? I would say there much closer to death and grind than what they make now!

1) You said they're still a valid example when they're clearly not.
2) I went ahead and listened to a few tracks on their first album; I hear no grindcore or death metal at all.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:

:o
The wrong. It hurts.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:29 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
antonthereaper wrote:

2) I went ahead and listened to a few tracks on their first album; I hear no grindcore or death metal at all.

1) Don't see how there not! (Please explain)!
2) I never said they were! I said there closer to grind and death than the music they are now!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

But that still doesn't make it a good example. Metallica's early albums were closer to death and grind than what they make now; so I guess we should put them in this thread too.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:33 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

1) Don't see how there not! (Please explain)!
2) I never said they were! I said there closer to grind and death than the music they are now!

Your replies to 1 and 2 contradict each other. They're a valid example despite not being death metal or grindcore which is the original point of this thread? Nobody here cares about bands that have ever sounded close (and A7x never sounded close) to those genres; the discussion is about bands that actually were those genres.

Example:
Amorphis - death metal in the early years - rock later on

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
But that still doesn't make it a good example. Metallica's early albums were closer to death and grind than what they make now; so I guess we should put them in this thread too.

Wilytank wrote:
Your replies to 1 and 2 contradict each other. They're a valid example despite not being death metal or grindcore which is the original point of this thread? Nobody here cares about bands that have ever sounded close (and A7x never sounded close) to those genres; the discussion is about bands that actually were those genres.

Fine, do whatever you guys want! I'm not going to argue over a stupid forum post!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:55 pm 

yeah, I really want to keep this as specific as possible (death, black, grind, ROCK), because we have had so many "bands that changed their style" topics and the same stuff always comes up. So I want to use this thread to bring up different/more unknown examples, of which I believe there are still many yet to be discussed.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Nephilim96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Would Katatonia fit this category? I just acquired their new album, Dethroned & Uncrowned, and upon a further search, found out they used to be death metal. Their new album is essentially depressive rock, per the Metallum genre. I think it's pretty good, but it seems they've been this style for awhile, judging by the logo change and cover art for the past few albums of theirs.

Not Death Metal, but Death/Doom with their first two albums, and then "Gothic Metal" (if such exists) starting with Discouraged Ones.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:34 am 

So I was wrong about Disgrace; for some reason I thought they were a case like Belial and Xysma who released one rock album and broke up, but apparently they have several and are still going strong. Think I'll check some out.

Actually downloaded Belial's 3 last night. What a weird decision these guys made. Production is still heavy but the music is so far from the evil stuff they used to play!!!

Tormentor is arguably a case for this thread. Sure, Atilla's vocals are hardly normal, but Recipe Ferrum! is basically a rock album. Most of the songs are based around a couple of simple rock riffs, the drumming is ultra-stripped down and raw, and there's bluesy soloing all over the place. That guitarist is actually really good!

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:11 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Pyogenesis -- This band just seems clueless and rode many different waves to try and latch on to what was popular. From doomdeath to some kind of pop punk is pretty damn strange, but I'd be a little more supportive if I thought they were actually any good at what they were attempting. If anything, maybe this shows it's more difficult to write an effective pop tune than some people realise.

Pyogenesis were such a big thing in my mid-teens for me and my friend who loved the Twinaleblood album. Its perhaps the most schizophrenic release I have heard but I can't help but love it. I think they execute everything they try on this album with great results and despite the very different genres presented I think it holds up not just as individual songs but as a whole album as well. That said I never heard anything else by this band.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:43 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Actually downloaded Belial's 3 last night. What a weird decision these guys made. Production is still heavy but the music is so far from the evil stuff they used to play!!!

I bought 3 earlier this year out of curiosity (not to mention it was really cheap) and it's quite enjoyable for what it is.
Listening to Never Again though you can kind of see it coming, besides the general weirdness that album there was already a rockier-vibe to the songwriting.

Maybe its just me but the transitional records are always far more interesting and convincing for me its like by the fully-fledged "rock" albums these bands have lost their identity.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:49 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

I bought 3 earlier this year out of curiosity (not to mention it was really cheap) and it's quite enjoyable for what it is.
Listening to Never Again though you can kind of see it coming, besides the general weirdness that album there was already a rockier-vibe to the songwriting.

Maybe its just me but the transitional records are always far more interesting and convincing for me its like by the fully-fledged "rock" albums these bands have lost their identity.

I think I can agree wit you there; so far Deluxe is probably my favourite Xysma album, for example.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:58 pm 

Darkthrone

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
Darkthrone