Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:00 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Possibly also Mithras? I get the feeling that everyone knows who Mithras are but very few people actually express approval of them. It's weird because they're not a bad band at all and I get the feeling they have a sizable fanbase, it's just like nobody ever speaks up about liking them.

Worlds Beyond the Veil is the best thing they did, and the other two are left in the darkness from that one album, in my opinion. I have all three, but I almost always choose that album to play. I think they're still highly regarded, but they've sort of fallen off the face of the planet for now. At least until the next album is done.

Morton Salt wrote:
Chimaira?

The Age of Hell was a big disappointment, but I listen to their other stuff. One of my favourite metalcore bands, especially their golden run from The Impossibility of Reason to The Infection inclusive.

Kveldulfr wrote:
Luciferion

Demonication (The Manifest) is awesome! I'm not a big fan of the solos (raping the whammy bar a little too much there), but they are easily enough ignored for the crushing death metal on offer there. I'm absolutely positive I'm not the only one.

I have a few bands in mind.

Necrophagist - everyone in metal knows these guys, but I haven't heard anyone claim that they're fantastic. Maybe I'm wrong?

Neuraxis - they've made a bunch of albums, but I don't hear them being discussed too much. Trilateral Progression is their best effort, in my opinion, and that album needs some more appreciation!

Ephel Duath - I guess they made one great album (Pain Necessary to Know), and a bunch of "other" albums. :P Nobody discusses them too much.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm 

I think a lot of these bands have sort of become dormant, either dropped off the radar, or seen a significant decline in activity/quality. There are names that the average MA user would know, but if you went to a typical show of a band on CM/NB/MB/RR and asked five people, most of them wouldn't know the bands mentioned here.

MikeyC wrote:
Morton Salt wrote:
Chimaira?

The Age of Hell was a big disappointment, but I listen to their other stuff. One of my favourite metalcore bands, especially their golden run from The Impossibility of Reason to The Infection inclusive.

Chimaira are rarely championed by folks here, but they have been quite popular in the US for many years now. I think they lost momentum in 2011 when nearly the whole band quit and was replaced by Daath. Daath have a sort of indistinct crowd of followers that I can't quite identify, mostly because they're sorta like the C-rate Tool of metalcore.

MikeyC wrote:
Necrophagist - everyone in metal knows these guys, but I haven't heard anyone claim that they're fantastic. Maybe I'm wrong?

Plenty of people have but that was a band that gained a lot of fans/attention/hype in a relatively short period of time, then once again became dormant and completely dropped off the radar. I think they don't come up much since the band has hardly been heard from for a few years now.

MikeyC wrote:
Ephel Duath - I guess they made one great album (Pain Necessary to Know), and a bunch of "other" albums. :P Nobody discusses them too much.

They gained momentum and attention with four albums from 2000-05, then they did a remix album, a concept album about a stray dog, then the mainman married Karyn Crisis and made her the vocalist of the band. Basically, they didn't keep up their name/activity much, and there's nothing that makes me want to avoid an avant-garde band more than having this vocalist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpirDDDLm6U

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Atropus wrote:
I think a lot of 3rd and fourth generation black metal gets the shaft, despite a lot of it being quite good:

Bloodthorn
Kvist
Forgotten Woods
Aeternus
Obtained Enslavement
Vordven
Odium
Midvinter
Gehenna
Ancient Wisdom
Sort Vokter

Out of bands of this era, Taake gets way too MUCH attention!!!

"Everybody knows" those bands? That's a stretch on most of them. Kvist and Forgotten Woods are certainly among the best black metal bands, and I have heard plenty of people mention their love of Kvist, though perhaps they should be showered with the unrepentant praise that DSO seem to get. I don't think Forgotten Woods could possibly get too much credit - they're easily one of the ten greatest black metal bands ever - but I think they are simply less known, rather than unacknowledged. I think that is really the case with most of these bands - they're not premiere names, and other than Gehenna and Aeternus, basically all of these bands are long gone and their names haven't come up in the last decade, which has been a big one for the spread of lesser known bands. Aeternus have been idling for a while too. Odium and Midvinter each put out one great album, but their were bands who topped both of them in those styles.

I guess these were the bands that were always found on most lists when I first really started getting into black metal.
I'm one of those folks stuck in a time warp where the year 1990 still feels like it was ten years ago.
I'm somewhat clueless as to everything that's transpired since 2003, so those bands are fresh in my mind, but I'm sure the new generation finds them somewhat dated compared to, say, Wolves in the Throne Room

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 pm 

I'll go with Morgoth. Very few love their alt metal album, of course, but even their better regarded first two usually don't make it to people's top 25 OSDM lists. Considering that they had relatively strong label support at the time (from what I've heard anyways), they're kind of like the OSDM analogue to, say, the Powermad of late 80's thrash.

Also, I don't think I know any megafans of Living Death. One of Germany's earlier speed metal practitioners and I think they had a pretty nice evolution up to World Neuroses, but generally not regarded as classic by anyone (well, just remembered Dan of the Corroseum IIRC who loves their Back to the Weapons EP).

Oh, and I think most metal fans could give an accurate description of Mordred if pressed, even if most avoided them or hated them.

Zodijackyl wrote:
Chimaira are rarely championed by folks here, but they have been quite popular in the US for many years now. I think they lost momentum in 2011 when nearly the whole band quit and was replaced by Daath. Daath have a sort of indistinct crowd of followers that I can't quite identify, mostly because they're sorta like the C-rate Tool of metalcore.

Somehow I thought Daath was a Norwegian symphonic black metal band. I have no idea who I confused them with, assuming I didn't just make that up completely off of their name and maybe a stray cover art photo.

MikeyC wrote:

They're massive in the Ultimate-Guitar crowd and YouTube cover video comment feeds, but yeah, not so much here if that's what the topic is limited to.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:35 am 

MikeyC wrote:

My take on Necrophagist is that they're a gateway band for technical death metal. They basically launched the entire subgenre into popularity, which itself ended up influencing many deathcore bands. The thing with Necrophagist is that once you start checking out what other technical death metal bands (old school and new) are out there, you tend to forget about Necrophagist itself. The Ultimate-Guitar crowd doesn't usually broaden it's horizons, so they're still fans of them I guess.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:09 am 

Malevolent Creation definitely fits this bill. Everybody knows who they are, and most people probably have even heard three of their records (the first three for people who download, and Warkult/The Will To Kill/Invidious Dominion for those who don't because they are the easiest to find), but how many people are really familiar with an extensive part of their discography? I don't hear much talk about them, nor have I ever really met any superfans, the way you would with plenty of other old-school death metal bands. Even certain obscure bands have their worshippers; I think it's apparent how much I love Intruder and Gammacide, but I've never met anyone who has cited Malevolent Creation as one of their favourites.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
I'll go with Morgoth. Very few love their alt metal album, of course, but even their better regarded first two usually don't make it to people's top 25 OSDM lists. Considering that they had relatively strong label support at the time (from what I've heard anyways), they're kind of like the OSDM analogue to, say, the Powermad of late 80's thrash.

I know a good share of people who's very into that kind of death metal. Just like others I named, Cursed and Odium are highly regarded by those old school death metal fans, who also valuates stuff like Baphomet's Dead Shall Inherit or Infernal Torment's Man's True Nature. They happen to also worship Obituary's first 3 albums, as well as stuff like Impetigo, early Pestilence, Massacre, Malevolent Creation, etc.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:50 am 

Endstille, I suppose. They were very popular at one point, but does anyone genuinely love that stuff? Ragnarok too, I suppose, although they've written more material worthy of praise, and they seem to be lumped in the B-grade Marduk category despite having the odd riff that simply bulldozes almost everything Marduk and their ilk have done.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:49 am 

whiteshark761 wrote:
we're stretching the term "everybody" in this thread.

Which is why I'm unsure about about contributing to this thread in the first place since none of us can speak for anyone else.

I'm going to bite anyway and say Senmuth. Many people know about him and his massive discography, few people actually enjoy his material.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:03 pm 

I think Man Must Die fits well into this category. They have fairly consistent discography for technical death metal (with a new album coming out on Oct 28th, mind you). Although I hardly ever hear anyone talking about them. Also, I'm very surprised and confused on how they're not more popular in the states. This would crush literally any US deathcore band in existence. What the hell, people?!

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:28 pm 

Are a lot of people passionate about Nevermore?

I got into them on my own thinking it was "power metal" and then stopped listening because it didn't really move me that much but I hit on a few songs I thought were fantastic and I admired Loomis' occasional incredible solo moment and Dane's mournful enunciation. And the lyrics were really good too.

Sacred Steel and Iron Savior (both German) are quite well known power metal bands that I wish more people would devote more listening time to. Iron Savior has a great body of work if you love your power metal speedy and wholesomely catchy. Sacred Steel is darker, grimmer and with songs about black magic. They have a more traditional aesthetic about them and it boggles me why they aren't popular here for that very fact.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

BlashyrkhMR101
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:02 pm 

I feel as though pretty much everyone here has at least heard of Moonblood but I've never really heard any praise about them. With the exception of a select group of Satanic Hispanics around my area, there isn't really any love for the band despite their immense (but incredibly hard to get ahold of) discography. Anyone else agree with me here?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:14 pm 

Can't remember the last time God Dethroned or Belphegor were mentioned at all here unless it was by me :/

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:43 pm 

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:
I feel as though pretty much everyone here has at least heard of Moonblood but I've never really heard any praise about them. With the exception of a select group of Satanic Hispanics around my area, there isn't really any love for the band despite their immense (but incredibly hard to get ahold of) discography. Anyone else agree with me here?

They've actually had a pretty strong "cult status" awhile back amongst black metallers.....

They were one of those bands who never got any recognition while they were active, but around 10 years ago, black metal elitists/collectors started going nuts buying up their vinyl/bootlegs.
There was even a couple of cancelled tribute albums to them in the works.

They're alright, I think their 2 full-lengths are worth getting if you can find them. Whether or not they were deserving of that cult praise and worship they had for awhile, that's a different story.....

Nachtfalke (last time I checked) is still active, still play live, and their material is at least as good as Moonblood, but nobody seems to give a rat's arse about them :(
Therefore, they deserve to be on this thread moreso than Moonblood.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:50 pm 

Moonblood turned Kvlt for Nargaroth's BMIK. Before that no one knew about them. I remember when that album came out and many shitted on their pants for it; the 'hymn' of the title track and the Burzum/Mayhem song, the Erik Broderskift song and the obscure covers. I already knew about the band when Amarok came out and I thought it was pretty decent, but BMIK was over the top and heavily inconsistent to mediocre. I only really liked the 7 tears track whose riffs are really good, but the Moonblood track is terrible. Only kvlt guys are into them.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:58 pm 

I remember when that album came out....... such a fucking joke.

Herbstleyd is the only album Nargaroth's done worth owning!

BMIK also gained some short-lived kvlt praise for Azhubham Haani.... a band worth hearing at least once, but definitely nothing deserving of worship!

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:07 pm 

Tiamat? Nobody seems to care for them these days

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:14 pm 

I was HUGE into Tiamat during my high school days, and loved everything they'd done up to and including A Deeper Kind of Slumber.

After they released Skeleton Skeletron and became nothing but a rock band with a few superficial gothy and metallic overtones, I lost all interest.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:30 pm 

Atropus wrote:
I was HUGE into Tiamat during my high school days, and loved everything they'd done up to and including A Deeper Kind of Slumber.

After they released Skeleton Skeletron and became nothing but a rock band with a few superficial gothy and metallic overtones, I lost all interest.

I wouldn't say superficial gothy. They have gone complete goth rock, more like a bit heavier version of The Sisters of Mercy in the last album. I really enjoyed Amanethes. They even brought back some harsh vocals

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:34 pm 

A lot of people (including myself) are still fans of their old stuff. Wildhoney is one of my favorite albums ever. Also, their new album The Scarred People is very damn good and has been overlooked. Still, the band hardly fits this thread...

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 pm 

I would definitely qualify A Deeper Kind of Slumber as a superb goth rock album!!!
It's like Sweden's answer to Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium, both musically and conceptually.

I dunno, afterward they became a "goth-influenced rock" band instead of a full-on goth band. I haven't heard Amanethes, but their latest music video at least looks like they've brought back a bit of the sound from A Deeper Kind of Slumber.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:10 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
A lot of people (including myself) are still fans of their old stuff. Wildhoney is one of my favorite albums ever. Also, their new album The Scarred People is very damn good and has been overlooked. Still, the band hardly fits this thread...

Wildhoney is probably my least fav album by them even though it seems to be their only album that matters in MA. The Scarred People was really awesome. I was surprised that no one even bothered about that album.
Atropus wrote:
I would definitely qualify A Deeper Kind of Slumber as a superb goth rock album!!!
It's like Sweden's answer to Fields of the Nephilim's Elizium, both musically and conceptually.

I dunno, afterward they became a "goth-influenced rock" band instead of a full-on goth band. I haven't heard Amanethes, but their latest music video at least looks like they've brought back a bit of the sound from A Deeper Kind of Slumber.

A Deeper Kind of Slumber is fucking awesome and so is Elizium. I'd love Tiamat to make an album like Mourning Sun. It could be really epic.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:34 pm 

Wildhoney is definitely nothing to sneeze at either!! That album really ran the gamut of influences, and is one of the few albums that has ever deserved the tag "gothic metal", though they would never call their music that.

Haven't listened to the Scarred People, though I hope it gets back to the epic/atmospheric dream-themes of their Wildhoney/Deeper Kind of Slumber era.

antonthereaper
Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:35 pm 

Not sure if this was mentioned yet (or if anyone wants me to mention!). Doesn't Metallica fall under this?

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:38 pm 

You can't be serious. Metallica has one of the largest and most dedicated fanbases around.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:47 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
You can't be serious. Metallica has one of the largest and most dedicated fanbases around.

Everyone seems to know who they are tho. Even people who are not into metal. I'm sure it's become a household name by now!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:
Adriankat wrote:

Everyone seems to know who they are tho. Even people who are not into metal. I'm sure it's become a household name by now!

How about the second part of the topic? "hardly anyone is really into"? There's an abundance of Metallica fans. If Facebook likes is any indicator, at least 32 million.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:08 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Are a lot of people passionate about Nevermore?

I got into them on my own thinking it was "power metal" and then stopped listening because it didn't really move me that much but I hit on a few songs I thought were fantastic and I admired Loomis' occasional incredible solo moment and Dane's mournful enunciation. And the lyrics were really good too.

Absolutely, Nevermore has a sizable fanbase. They tend to be louder on the official Nevermore forum than here though :P

BlashyrkhMR101 wrote:

I don't think many people know Moonblood. Unless you're well acquainted with black metal diehards, you'll never hear the name. Aside from their band coming up on metal forums like this, the band has been gone for 10+ years and actively avoided any sort of commercial release/promotion.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:10 pm 

Agathocles almost instantly comes to mind.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

How about the second part of the topic? "hardly anyone is really into"? There's an abundance of Metallica fans. If Facebook likes is any indicator, at least 32 million.

Can't that be a relative term? After all, thats about %0.46 of the worlds population (Yes, i actually did the math!). And even for the us pop, that's about 10%. And i doubt everyone in the us listens to Metallica but i pretty sure most knew who they are!

And it depends on the person! %10 might seem little to one where it's alot to another!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:39 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Can't that be a relative term? After all, thats about %0.46 of the worlds population (Yes, i actually did the math!). And even for the us pop, that's about 10%. And i doubt everyone in the us listens to Metallica but i pretty sure most knew who they are!!

The entire topic here crumbles when you start trying to apply it to the general knowledge of the public at large, as opposed to the metal scene by itself, so no, actually, I'd say that pragmatically speaking it's not up for interpretation in the relative sense. Don't be silly.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Chimaira are rarely championed by folks here, but they have been quite popular in the US for many years now. I think they lost momentum in 2011 when nearly the whole band quit and was replaced by Daath. Daath have a sort of indistinct crowd of followers that I can't quite identify, mostly because they're sorta like the C-rate Tool of metalcore

Yeah, I would imagine Chimaira have a large fan base in the United States, since they tour a lot around the country, as far as I can tell.

Zodijackyl wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

They gained momentum and attention with four albums from 2000-05, then they did a remix album, a concept album about a stray dog, then the mainman married Karyn Crisis and made her the vocalist of the band. Basically, they didn't keep up their name/activity much, and there's nothing that makes me want to avoid an avant-garde band more than having this vocalist http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpirDDDLm6U

Oh, boy, that was not what I was expecting! :lol: Count me out.

Wilytank wrote:
I'm going to bite anyway and say Senmuth. Many people know about him and his massive discography, few people actually enjoy his material.

I like his material, from what I heard, but it's a bit of a chore to keep up with everything he does. :) Some of his stuff is superb, though.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Exigence

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

I fucking love Iron Savior. And the last 2 albums from God Dethroned are some of the best in the business.

I think I'm the only person who has every Sinner album.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 pm 

Liturgy perhaps?

I don't know. Bands are typically well-known because they have some fanbase...

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:28 pm 

The mentioning of Ephel Duath brought Aborym - and, in general, several bands (formerly) signed to Code666 or the mother label Aural Music, even though they certainly aren't as popular as the Italians - to my mind: They are experimental/individual sounding just enough to gain your attention, but they aren't the type of band that you would listen to all the time, nor have they released something that lasts for eternity.

Did Krieg come up in this topic already? The quality of their releases varies a lot, and while they are a big name in USBM, I don't think they ever put out anything that justifies this status. I really like Imperial's performance on the mic, though.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:
Not sure if this was mentioned yet (or if anyone wants me to mention!). Doesn't Metallica fall under this?

Well, the Metallica that made St. Anger/Lulu, of course. 80's Metallica, though? lolwut

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:52 am 

Axel Rudi Pell.

The band has a giant discography with very consistent output over the last 10 years, but who can say they truly like the whole package? Hell, how many of us actually listen to the band at all? Certainly more than a few of us have seen the name, but I've never seen a band this old still going strong without much mention in the mainstream metal eye or on the internet.

Personally, I think they started ruling hard once Johnny Gioeli found his game ~2000. After that, the band started seriously owning: rich production, solid (straightforward) writing, awesome vocals, and Pell's trademark playing style fits perfectly. The Crest is what I'd consider a long sought-after peak for the band. "Dreaming Dead" (the extended version) has got to be one of my favorite heavy / power metal songs for that godly bridge.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:03 am 

Gargoyle. Yeah. That one. You've seen BastardHead talk about them more and more frequently. He even brings them up in Manilla Road reviews. Crick and OzzyApu reviewed them years ago. But they are seldom discussed here, seemingly passed over for the better known - and plain better - Sabbat.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:30 am 

Smalley wrote:
antonthereaper wrote:

Well, the Metallica that made St. Anger/Lulu, of course. 80's Metallica, though? lolwut

Well, i'm not really a fan but yeah, 80s Metallica > St. Anger Metallica.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:09 am 

Anyway. I think "everybody" can be interpreted a little more specifically in the context of this topic than the stock definition of word prescribes. I'd agree with whoever mentioned Malevolent Creation on the basis that a lot of people who are into 90s death metal know them and have heard The Ten Commandments or Retribution and yet they're not really anyone's favorite band. Now if we try to say EVERYONE knows who Malevolent Creation is, the statement is just false and senseless, but I think you can discuss this topic in terms of who the band in question appeals to specifically, whether that be (all or most) power metal fans, (all or most) black metal fans, (all or most) death metal fans, whatever. There are few metal bands that have truly universal appeal to fans of metal, and the ones that do all have a sizable hardcore following I think.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next