Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
antonthereaper
Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:30 am 

Since i fell i have enough information about the topic! I feel i can explain and cover up misconceptions about the Blackcore genre!

Many people believe that Blackcore is a fake and new genre! When in fact, Blackcore has been around for a while! And just like Black Metal, has pretty much remained underground! It pretty much started with Underoath (Yeah, that's right! Underoath used to mix Black Metal elements into there music, Look up "Act of Depression" and "Cries of The Past"!) in 1999 with their album "Act of Depression". Underoath was one of (if not, THE) first Blackcore bands!

As it's name suggest, Blackcore is a mix of Black Metal and Metalcore! However since it's such an unheard of genre! It's mix is unstable, some bands may lean towards Metalcore where others may lean towards Black Metal! I'll explain as you read this!

This genre was abandoned by Underoath when they made "The Changing of Times" and really wasn't picked up until 2006 when the band Abigail Williams made their "Legend" EP. (If anyone knows of any Blackcore releases between 2000 and 2006, please tell me!) And just like Underoath, abandoned the genre!

As i said earlier about the sound! Personally i think Underoath did a better job than Abigail Williams did! Underoath's sound was more towards black metal than Abigail Williams's was! And seamed more structured properly than Abigail Williams! Ironiclly, Underoath went the "Metalcore" route where Abigail Williams went the "Black Metal" route!

So why did it stay underground? Mabye it's because Underoath limited their numbers to 2000 copies for "Act of Depression" and 3000 for "Cries of The Past"? And mabye that's why Underoath left the then very small Blackcore scene. These albums were only re-released about 3 weeks ago! And yes, it might become popular in the future! But it has remained underground for the past 14 years! And the point of this topic was to tell people that Blackcore exists and has existed for years! It is NOT a "made up genre", if that was true, than every other genre was a "made up genre"!

Anyways, if anyone wants to correct me on something, please do so, but don't be a douchebag! (Examples: Saying "NOT REAL METAL" or "YOU SHOULD KILL YOURSELF"!)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:46 am 

Man, that post averaged more exclamation points per square inch than the average bit of John_Sunlight fiction.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 am 

antonthereaper wrote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noted.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:15 am 

I feel you are pulling all of this out of your behind. aka your ass

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Man, that post averaged more exclamation points per square inch than the average bit of John_Sunlight fiction.
OK, i do admit i use allot of exclamation points but how is this fiction? It's not even close to fiction! Listen to "Act of Depression" and "Cries of The Past". Am i wrong on something? Help me then!

xThe__Wizard wrote:
I feel you are pulling all of this out of your behind. aka your ass

And no, i am not pulling this out of my ass! I am tired of hearing "Blackcore dosen't exist yet" all over the place! thats why i posted this!

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:33 am 

Nochielo wrote:
antonthereaper wrote:

Noted.

LOL!

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:38 am 

Blackcore has existed at least since 1994 thanks to Samael's Ceremony of Opposites. Just listen to Baphomet's Throne and all that start-stop syncopated swaggering; "I'll make statements with your orders
/ I'll be the supreme insult", bro, do you even praise Satan?

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:51 am 

Just listened to 3 songs off Act of Depression including the title track, which is over 10 minutes long. I got a lot more metalcore / death metal feel than black metal, the tiny spots where black metal is an influence is not nearly enough to call it "Blackcore". It seems from your post especially the last sentence is that you knew you would stir people up.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:15 am 

Huldrelok wrote:
Just listened to 3 songs off Act of Depression including the title track, which is over 10 minutes long. I got a lot more metalcore / death metal feel than black metal, the tiny spots where black metal is an influence is not nearly enough to call it "Blackcore".

Well, to be honest, to me Death Metal and Metalcore tend to have that "Beat the shit out of" sound style. (With Metalcore usually having a lighter sound) so i'll just say it's just MC+BM. Well, i guess i can agree there is more MC than BM but would you want it to be tagged "Metalcore with Black Metal elements" or just simply "Blackcore"? Try listening to their album "Cries of The Past". This even has more BM elements! And is probably the first actual BC album!

And yes i knew this would make idiots cry! That's what i'm trying to avoid here!

HamburgerBoy wrote:
Blackcore has existed at least since 1994 thanks to Samael's Ceremony of Opposites. Just listen to Baphomet's Throne and all that start-stop syncopated swaggering; "I'll make statements with your orders
/ I'll be the supreme insult", bro, do you even praise Satan?

Awesome band, But Blackcore? I got more of a Death/Sludge sound out of it if anything!
And what do you mean "do you praise Satan?" This isn't a religious topic!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:11 am 

OP, you sound like NormalTweetGuy with all the exclamation points.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 am 

Samael blackcore? WTF!

No band has made a decent mix of both styles to me. Underoath is terrible so is Abigail Wiliams.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:20 am 

Requesting to have this thread locked.

This kid is a tool, and I hope he's a troll because he doesn't quite know what he's talking about. Metalcore has nothing to do with Blackened Crust or any of it's spin-offs. Now sod off and grow some chest hair.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:26 am 

First of all I found your initial post could have easily been summed up in just 2 or 3 lines. However, my opinion on blackcore is that it is not something I have paid much attention to, but Act of Depression does not have enough black metal elements in it to add it to their genre tag. I can hear some riffs here and there which resemble black metal such as at 5:33 into the title track but it is really reaching. I agree with Huldrelok. I hear mostly death metal and metalcore which gets fairly sludgy at times.

It is generally very difficult to pinpoint the exact start of genres with the way music has evolved. You can see this with the debates this board has had over the beginning of death metal, thrash, first wave black metal etc. If 'blackcore' has enough bands like deathcore does then I guess you can use the tags but I have not really heard of anything besides Abigail Williams.

Underoath - Act of Depression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheV73Bmum4

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 am 

As much as I love bands like Aurora Black, Godless Crusade, Winterus and the like, it really doesn't deserve it's own micro sub-genre. It's so nit-picky and frivolous that it just sounds asinine after you think about it for a while. Regardless, I still love deathcore that adds some blackened techniques into their sound (minus the overly done symphonic stuff)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:54 am 

Could you offer more than two bands as examples?

antonthereaper wrote:
So why did it stay underground? Mabye it's because Underoath limited their numbers to 2000 copies for "Act of Depression" and 3000 for "Cries of The Past"?

That's more than most black metal bands would press, especially newer ones who aren't signed to CM/NB/MB/SOM.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:01 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Nah, it's iAm's sock puppet on a proxy, most likely: capitalizes genres but not "I". Case closed.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:52 pm 

Samael have nothing whatsoever to do with any "core" music!

The whole stop/start power chord riffing was due to their influence from Celtic Frost.

If any bands should be considered "blackcore", look more towards the RAC-friendly side of NSBM, like Kiborg or Der Sturmer!! Nazis in baggy shorts and hoodies grabbing their crotch and doing "sieg heil" hip hop gestures during the mosh breaks... LOL

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:59 pm 

Napero wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

Nah, it's iAm's sock puppet on a proxy, most likely: capitalizes genres but not "I". Case closed.

Nah. i put way more effort into trolling.

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:04 pm 

iAm wrote:
Requesting to have this thread locked.

This kid is a tool, and I hope he's a troll because he doesn't quite know what he's talking about. Metalcore has nothing to do with Blackened Crust or any of it's spin-offs. Now sod off and grow some chest hair.

Requesting your account to be banned! I said if you wanted to point me out on something wrong! Then HELP ME without being a douchebag! If anything YOU'RE a tool since your too stupid to read my footnote! I hope the only other thing you do is masturbate!

Zodijackyl wrote:

antonthereaper wrote:
So why did it stay underground? Mabye it's because Underoath limited their numbers to 2000 copies for "Act of Depression" and 3000 for "Cries of The Past"?

That's more than most black metal bands would press, especially newer ones who aren't signed to CM/NB/MB/SOM.

To be honest, i couldn't find anymore! thats why i said if anyone knows of any then add here!
Just because the numbers are higher doesn't mean it's more popular. I bet Mayhem will appear before Underoath does in a search for "Black Metal" or "Blackcore" or whatever!

Napero wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:

WTF? I don't know who he is! I'm NOT A PROXY DAMNIT!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 pm 

:lol:

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:15 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
I got a lot more metalcore / death metal feel than black metal, the tiny spots where black metal is an influence is not nearly enough to call it "Blackcore".

haha, without bothering to listen to the band/album at all i knew this would be the case. "no, they're not actually part of the genre that you all hate!!! they're actually heaps black metal!!! you guys like black metal yeah?!"

pleaaaaaaaaaase....

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

Ok, since nobody bothered to listen to Cries of The Past, I'm posting it:

And that's the entire album! Sounds like the first potential Blackcore album to me!

antonthereaper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm 

iAm wrote:
:lol:

Laugthing at me? well! ..|.. (_o_) ..|..
(And if you think the symbol in the middle is a face! JUST WOW!)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:29 pm 

Ok, that's enough for now. There's nothing worth checking out here, guys, move around.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Ok, that's enough for now. There's nothing worth checking out here, guys, move around.

I would opt for discussion, but there doesn't seem to be much to discuss here, just wild misconceptions being thrown around and overactive imaginations splattering about. I did explain it though, so I'll add this:

antonthereaper wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

To be honest, i couldn't find anymore! thats why i said if anyone knows of any then add here!

You are very misguided in your assertions then.

There are bands that mix black metal and 90s-style hardcore, like Gehenna. There is no common use of the term "blackcore" however, because there is nothing close to a coherent style nor scene for it to describe - it's a mix of two terms that really don't make sense together. Abigail Williams straddle deathcore and symphonic black metal, oddly shifting between the two, but not playing a style that can't be described as a mix of symphonic deathcore and symphonic black metal.

Underoath's style has never included any black metal. Their earlier works mixed some of the darker hardcore from the 90s with influences of some groovier death metal, and some of the chuggy, groove metal that had a touch of thrash and a lot of hardcore. No black metal though, neither the thrashy ringing/sliding chords of earlier black metal or the simpler tremolo picking of later black metal. The similarity you might hear to black metal is that the fast guitar playing has little clarity in the mix - it sounds sorta like black metal's tremolo picking style but muted. Pair that with fast drum beats and double bass and it's some sort of loosely identifiable extreme metal/hardcore hybrid.

Here's an example of where a rougher recording of a hardcore band from the 90s might also sound a bit like black metal - some aesthetic similarities, but neither the riffing itself nor how the song is put together is black metal, it's just loose hardcore punk with poor clarity on the guitars and higher pitched vocals.

Not black metal at all, but it bears a bit of sonic similarity. A lot of early "black" metal was a rougher type of thrash/speed metal that began to embrace the sound of raw production.

antonthereaper wrote:
Just because the numbers are higher doesn't mean it's more popular. I bet Mayhem will appear before Underoath does in a search for "Black Metal" or "Blackcore" or whatever!

You have a poor grasp on this idea...

antonthereaper wrote:
So why did it stay underground? Mabye it's because Underoath limited their numbers to 2000 copies for "Act of Depression" and 3000 for "Cries of The Past"? And mabye that's why Underoath left the then very small Blackcore scene. These albums were only re-released about 3 weeks ago! And yes, it might become popular in the future! But it has remained underground for the past 14 years! And the point of this topic was to tell people that Blackcore exists and has existed for years! It is NOT a "made up genre", if that was true, than every other genre was a "made up genre"!

You're saying there was a scene, yet you can't name any other bands in that scene? They were part of the Christian hardcore scene, which was quite notable from the late 90s through early-mid 00s, around which bands like Underoath sort of blended into the post-hardcore side of metalcore as the music evolved.

That's a pretty pointless statement about blackcore, unless your intent is to broadcast ignorance and attempt to provoke people with what you understand is an unpopular opinion. Genres aren't a badge of identity that you make up and wear, genres are highly generalized descriptions of large subsets of music that are used to conveniently signify the type of music a band plays. Scenes aren't like a chat room you create with a name then leave and reclaim years later when someone else does something that you think belongs there.

This is ridiculous.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.