Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:37 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
As for Asian stores. We have large one in a predominantly Asian neighborhood across the train tracks, and while I've never gotten the nerve to actually try any of the food, I have sunk far too much money into their energy drink cooler. Unlike American energy drinks, these don't have sugar; it's literally just ginseng, water and honey. And, being a massive fan of the whole "chopsocky" film genre, I end up with at least 1 or 2 DVDs every time I go there.

Which Asian country are these energy drinks from? All the Asian energy drinks I saw in Asia were Red Bull knock-offs for the most part, unless you mean those 'energy' drinks in small bottles? Those are meant to be hangover cures/pick-me-ups, not really considered energy drinks there.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:53 pm 

I've never heard the phrase "Asian Store" before. I mean we have a lot of Chinese shops because of a very strong Chinese community, plenty of Thai places, and probably others. I live next to Koreans and I'm pretty sure (from the smells that occasionally waft my way) they can't cook anything good despite whatever authentic ingredients they may use. Indian curry is great; the Chinese variety, not so much, if you ask me. There are loads of cheap Chinese restaurants around, and a few even stay open past bar-closing time, a real rarity in this city. Much of the food is vile though, to be honest, only really fit for consumption when you're drunk and dont' care.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:05 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I live next to Koreans and I'm pretty sure (from the smells that occasionally waft my way) they can't cook anything good despite whatever authentic ingredients they may use.

Yeah, 95% of Korean food is utter crap (now someone will come in and tell us how great Korean BBQ is) - trust me, they use the same damn spices in everything, too much salt, too much fermented crap, it stinks, looks like shit etc but Koreans will tell you their food is the best in the world, it's healthy, blah blah blah. But yeah, if you like bland seaweed soup and boiled white rice for breakfast every day then you'll love Korean food.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Which Asian country are these energy drinks from? All the Asian energy drinks I saw in Asia were Red Bull knock-offs for the most part, unless you mean those 'energy' drinks in small bottles? Those are meant to be hangover cures/pick-me-ups, not really considered energy drinks there.

Varied, really. Vietnam and Thailand most often. They were the little tiny glass bottles, though. M-150 and Super Bull were the only English names I remember.

Abominatrix wrote:
I've never heard the phrase "Asian Store" before.

We call it the "Asian Store" because the name in English looks like "Dong-A", which is odd to mention in public, but mostly because it's not focused on one country. The store's name and its owners are Vietnamese, but they have product from Vietnam, Thailand, Korea, Malaysia and China.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:28 pm 

I would like to add that the first Grave album is really fucking good.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:31 pm 

It really is. Also, it was worth standing around through BLoodred Throne and some other awful band last year to hear Grave play that entire album on stage.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
Yeah, 95% of Korean food is utter crap (now someone will come in and tell us how great Korean BBQ is) - trust me, they use the same damn spices in everything, too much salt, too much fermented crap, it stinks, looks like shit etc but Koreans will tell you their food is the best in the world, it's healthy, blah blah blah. But yeah, if you like bland seaweed soup and boiled white rice for breakfast every day then you'll love Korean food.

Oh I don't know about that, bibimbap and kimchi are pretty awesome. Gochujang is a good condiment too, though I can see why some wouldn't like it.

And yes, bulgogi is great! :P

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm 

Only Korean stuff I know is kimchi and I like it. Oh, and I have a Korean delicacy lying next to me on the couch right now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:39 pm 

iAm wrote:
Explain this to an American. I thought that pot was legal in Canada, but the article refers to the pot plants as illegal and criminal?

:lol: refer

I don't get it. Refer Madness? Is the joke that neither of you can spell?

I got kind of spoiled by Asian grocery stores, I guess. When I was at school, there was this whole strip mall that contained only Asian stores. There was a nail salon, a cleaners I think, a couple different travel agencies, a place that specialized in shipping packages to and from Asia. Underneath it was this pseudo-mall with a food court and a bunch of odd little stores that seemed like those shops you sometimes see in Korean movies that are like a weird hybrid between a convenience store and a street vendor that just sells knock off electronic products and phone accessories.

The anchor, though, was a bigass grocery store called H-Mart, which is a chain of I believe Korean-owned grocery stores. They have Korean, Chinese, Japanese food with smaller selections of South Asian and Latin American stuff. I fucking loved the one near my school though, mainly because they had a phenomenal selection of produce and just about every cut of meat you could imagine (including shitloads of seafood) at very reasonable prices. I also liked browsing the Asian bottled drinks and snacks.

An H-Mart sorta recently opened near me but it's much smaller than that one, with the biggest cuts seeming to be from the produce and meat departments, which is a huge bummer.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

There's a big asian supermarket in Glasgow, I haven't hit it up yet but I probably will in the coming days, I've got a serious craving for spicy food.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm 

@droneriot: Regarding neonazis not being an issue - did you miss the whole NSU affair or something? Maybe the problem is not so much their numbers but how the state ignores and downplays their criminal activities. Not to mention that some towns in east Germany are completely infested with them.

And 3 in 200 voters voting for NPD doesn't sound like so little to me either, considering it's the fucking NPD.

Not defending west/south/north-German punks here. Just sayin'.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
H-Mart

Didn't know it was a chain, there's one about 20 minutes away and it's always a good trip. We eat a lot of seafood so getting stuff fresh from there at a good price definitely rules. SO MANY NOODLES.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:32 pm 

We've got H - Marts up here (at least I'm fairly certain we do) but up intil now I had no idea what it was.I always figured it would be something along the lines of K Mart so I've never bothered checking them out. Now I'll definitely he making a trip, thanks for the heads up people.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:43 pm 

Every time I check the metal forum for new posts I see that one thread and read it as "Walking the Cadaver". It's quite amusing.
I'm very easy to entertain.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:48 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
@droneriot: Regarding neonazis not being an issue - did you miss the whole NSU affair or something? Maybe the problem is not so much their numbers but how the state ignores and downplays their criminal activities.

Sure, the authorities ignore the activities of neonazis. This can lead to two very different conclusions. Either, as the media and the left imply, the authorities secretly condone their activities, OR, the authorities saw the neonazi scene as such little a threat that they didn't even think of a xenophobic motive behind the killings now attributed to the NSU. Let's be honest: How many cases of neonazi murders are there really in Germany? Note that every time there is one there is a huge media storm, and how many of those do you recall in your lifetime? Not so much since the famous arsons in the mid-90s, is there?

Quote:
Not to mention that some towns in east Germany are completely infested with them.

So? If they are involved in criminal activities let the police handle it, if not, let them get drunk and listen to their crappy RAC. Who cares?

Quote:
And 3 in 200 voters voting for NPD doesn't sound like so little to me either, considering it's the fucking NPD.

Interestingly, a few days ago a survey was published that 23% of all East Asian men admitted to having committed at least one rape in their lifetime. That's 46 in 200. Makes you wonder what the percentage is in Germany, taking the Dunkelziffer (estimated number of unknown cases) into account. I am willing to bet it's higher than 1.5%. Just for some perspective.

Not to mention that I consider the FDP far more dangerous than the NPD, because the FDP represents the interests of those who really do ruin the lives of tens of thousands or more. And the FDP is currently above 5% in pre-election surveys. :(

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:29 pm 

So I have this idea for a band, something completely new. Funeral Crust.

Filth of Mankind/Deviated Instinct meets Catacombs/Thergothon with lyrics about squatting abandoned warehouses in the sunken depths of R'yleh. It will be fucking awesome.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 pm 

"Funeral Crust" sounds like the slang name for an STD common among necrophiliacs

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:42 pm 

droneriot wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:
Also you live in Germany? I have honestly never heard of a punk band from Germany. Crossover yes, very much so but never a punk band. Probably not the best country for punk I would say.

What?? There are hundreds of punk bands from Germany, most of them better than what other countries have produced. You probably haven't heard of them because they don't enjoy much international success due to the language barrier.

I think punk is, in general, much more regional than other forms of music. Like all music, it has some stuff that breaks into the mainstream, but not on a big scale when one considers the amount of bands out there. You can't even pigeonhole how a band will sound or what their lyrics will be based on. Now, I'm not the best person to ask, but in the Austin scene I've always understood the general sound is more leaning towards the surf/rockabilly sound with hints of other things coming through. The cowpunk scene was practically non-existant outside of California, as another example.

I dunno, I haven't really hit much punk over the years, although my interest in surf rock, rockabilly, and doom (seeing as so many doom bands talk about punk, and how many people like to enforce the idea that doom is closer to a form of rock than metal) has peaked my interest.

Though, overall, I'm currently falling out of metal in many ways. I still like the doom/sludge/stoner scene, along with power, but I'm just feeling less and less metallic all the time. I might be have a personality change or somesuch, I'm not really sure. All the proto-metal and Blue Cheer and Zeppelin styled rock catch my attention a bit more now. I dunno.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam01uaj6Vg

Had this fucker stuck in my head for weeks now, it keeps coming back.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm 

droneriot wrote:
the authorities saw the neonazi scene as such little a threat that

Quote:
they didn't even think of a xenophobic motive behind the killings now attributed to the NSU.

You know, the first statement being true doesn't necessarily mean the second one is true as well, right? This becomes more and more apparent as there is more and more evidence that shows that the authorities simply ignored obvious signs that pointed towards a neonazi terror cell. The fact that the original consensus was that the murders were commited by other immigrants, hell that in some cases police and media were quicker to make up shit about the victims having fallen victim to their own involvement with the criminal underworld should tell you quite a bit how we deal with xenophobic violence here in Germany. Neonazis make our society look disfunctional, so we downplay them where we can. Different than "criminal immigrants", who can always be blamed on other cultures, nazis are our demons from within.

Quote:
Let's be honest: How many cases of neonazi murders are there really in Germany? Note that every time there is one there is a huge media storm, and how many of those do you recall in your lifetime? Not so much since the famous arsons in the mid-90s, is there?

Well, one thing about the medial treatment of the NSU fiasco is the pretense that they are an isolated cell acting with little to no support from a broader network. This is clearly bullcrap. To be fair the newspapers and political mags are slowly coming to these conclusions as well.

Quote:
Quote:
Not to mention that some towns in east Germany are completely infested with them.

So? If they are involved in criminal activities let the police handle it, if not, let them get drunk and listen to their crappy RAC. Who cares?

You realize that not all neonazis are counterculture-skinheads, right? These mindsets are rooted in burgeois and middle class social environments. Those boneheads are just the loud and violent tip of the iceberg. Those other people might not be the ones who burn down asylum hostels, but they are the ones who look out of their windows applaud when it burns. Or they don't approve of generating bad press like that and prefer the systemic violence of deportation and institutional harrassment. And when Bruno puts a Turk into hospital maybe his pa who's a police officer or his uncle who's the major will turn some wheels so Bruno gets away with it and nobody makes a spectacle. Kids will be kids and all.

Quote:
Quote:

Interestingly, a few days ago a survey was published that 23% of all East Asian men admitted to having committed at least one rape in their lifetime. That's 46 in 200. Makes you wonder what the percentage is in Germany, taking the Dunkelziffer (estimated number of unknown cases) into account. I am willing to bet it's higher than 1.5%. Just for some perspective.

I assume you are talking about German men here? I'm not saying there aren't bigger problems than neonazism in Germany (rape being one of them but that's is a shameful issue everywhere in the world), but that doesn't magically turn it into a non-issue. Not every one who has nationalist-racist/xenophobic mindset votes NPD, you know? Some might come to the conclusion that the CDU does a formidable job at xenophobic legislature as well, and they're already in Government. There is also Pro-NRW/Pro-Deutschland, the Republikaner, Die Freiheit etc. for those for whom NPD isn't burgeois enough. Speaking of dunkelziffern.

Quote:
Not to mention that I consider the FDP far more dangerous than the NPD, because the FDP represents the interests of those who really do ruin the lives of tens of thousands or more.

I'd be the last one to disagree with that.
Quote:
And the FDP is currently above 5% in pre-election surveys. :(

Not to mention those AfD clowns. They are not quite there yet, but, well, about 20% percent of Germany's voters are still fucking undecided.

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:57 pm 

iAm wrote:
So I have this idea for a band, something completely new. Funeral Crust.

Filth of Mankind/Deviated Instinct meets Catacombs/Thergothon with lyrics about squatting abandoned warehouses in the sunken depths of R'yleh. It will be fucking awesome.

Sounds interesting, but.....
"Funeral Crust" sounds like the slang name for an STD common among necrophiliacs

.....yeah.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:33 pm 

droneriot, you should check to see if that Asian mart carries Kasugai gummies:

Best gummies in the world! Haribo ain't got shit on Kasugai :panda:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
Librarians make cake from what I've heard.

As in not much cash? It's above average, slightly, for fully qualified staff. But gets pretty decent for administrators and management.

Also, I've never met anyone into hardcore who liked Death in June, HJ haircuts to the contrary.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:35 pm 

My laptop is apparently broken beyond repair. Any suggestions for a replacement? I've been looking at Asus and HP computers, since my friends say that they are good.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:53 pm 

It all depends on the hardware, man.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:02 pm 

Hatman wrote:
My laptop is apparently broken beyond repair. Any suggestions for a replacement?

I have a Commodore 64 that I want to sell.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 pm 

I've relapsed! Drink. Drink a ton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvpGGc9Jv8

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:33 pm 

Hatman wrote:
My laptop is apparently broken beyond repair. Any suggestions for a replacement? I've been looking at Asus and HP computers, since my friends say that they are good.

Asus is probably your best bet. Bought one last fall and haven't had a single problem since.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 am 

droneriot wrote:
Oh, and I have a Korean delicacy lying next to me on the couch right now.

Surely you at least have her name by now drone?

My collection

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:50 am 

He's probably waiting until he finishes tasting the others.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:06 am 

Bands' first gig of the year is today!!!!! :hyper:

Opening for a thrash band from California called "Kill Ritual", apparently their bassist was in Dark Angel for a few years, so that's pretty cool.

Aaaaaaaand, it's friday the 13th. What could possibly go wrong? :oh shit:

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 am 

I doubt you're a Templar, so you should be okay. Good luck with the gig, man, I'm sure it'll be great! :beer:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:52 am 

Maniac Matis wrote:
Aaaaaaaand, it's friday the 13th. What could possibly go wrong?

Jason?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:45 am 

droneriot wrote:
I have a Commodore 64 that I want to sell.

:o :drool: if only you weren't in freaking Germany...

Azmodes wrote:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:58 am 

Hatman wrote:

Get an Acer. Acer rules.
Also, do get one that has a proper GPU, not some intel integrated bullshit or anything like that.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 am 

I was just talking about Hitler on Facebook and I had the idea that there should be a WWE pro-wrestler dressed as Adolf.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am 

There was recently a hardcore wrestling event of some kind here and apparently there was a Nazi VS Jew stereotype match. A friend told me it was one of the most entertaining things he's ever seen. Very un-PC of course.

Anyway yes.

Jamming with the band tonight, and then going to a birthday party for the singer of Blood Ceremony at a tiny bar specialising in "elite" beers. Just got to get through work first.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:14 pm 

WHITE GUY DEFENSE FORCE GO! :lol:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:30 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

From left to right: MovieBob, Jim Sterling, Yahtzee.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:33 pm 

So I've been humming and whistling this tune for a couple months now and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how or where I picked it up only that is was oddly familiar so I eventually put it out of my mind and kept on humming. Then today like a bolt of lightening it hit me - it's the song that plays in the background of the dwarf miner's secret mythril forge in Shinning Force II. And that ends a completely pointless and useless excerpt into my day.

Azmodes wrote:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 518  Next