Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:22 pm 

We often get the "bands with drastic style changes between albums" topic here, with the inevitable results, but I wanted to narrow the field a bit because this is something I'm more interested in, specifically.

It's happened to quite a few bands. I'm not talking about groups that acquired a keyboard and turned into ambient, orchestral or swing music. I'm talking bands that decided they just wanted to "rock the fuck out", loosen up, jam to their hearts' content, or maybe just make a record their biker uncls (or something) would enjoy. I've noticed some patterns, and I wondered what you all had to say, and also about bands that might have accomplished this transition to pure rock 'n' roll in a successful manner.

So, despite the reality that a few bands may actually be "selling out" by doing this, I think it's safe to say that in a majority of cases, the "rock album" is the one the band does before breaking up, the members often forming new projects to pursue their less "extreme" musical needs, and it's also the least successful. The reasons for this should be obvious: any band that's been around long enough to actually stir up a reaction by showing their love for their AC/DC collection instead of writing songs with blastbeats, eerie solos and lyrics about Hell or disembowelment, have also developed a fanbase. Most often, that fanbase, even if they're an open sort of folk when it comes to their favourite artists, have certain expectations and feelings that they grasp the mood and passions in the music the creators deliver. It can feel like a betrayal when a once-loved performers completely turn around and do something that seems, almost, diametrically opposed to past efforts. It may also be that there is a feeling in certain circles of the metal community that rock music is more childish and less worthy than, say, classical, electroacoustic music, folk, industrial, film scores or ambient music. I don't actually want to vouch for or much discuss the accuracy of that last statement, and really I hesitate to even bring it up, however it seems to me that certain young metalheads (like myself in the mid-90s) briefly adopt a somewhat anti-rock 'n' roll stance, perhaps because the most common gateway into metal is heavier and brasher forms of rock 'n' roll, yet once one discovers a new, "darker" style of music, the perceived quirks and pitfalls of the past tend to be spurned. Anyway, some people drop this notion, maybe, as they grow older and learn to relax around themselves and others a little more, while the ones who never return to rock music (or at least embrace it in some manner) are likely to end up giving up on metal as well eventually.

I should add that I'm not talking about metal bands that throw in the odd cavorting rock riff every now and then but largely keep their metallic tendencies. I'm talking bands that, eventually at least, drop all attempts at being a "serious metal band" and just blaze along, long locks blowing in the breeze and showing their admiration for (and hopefully at least putting a somewhat new spin on) the idols of the past of rock.

Amorphis -- got a bit heavier lately I guess, but albums like Tuonela and Am Universam have nary a metallic bone anywhere in their bodies. Instead, we get free-flying spacerock-ish music that still adheres to standard structures while not being afraid to jam out a bit, especially in the live setting. They were successful, probably because the change was fairly gradual and they were just pretty good at it, even though I honestly don't listen to anything past Tuonela much at all.

Xysma -- Actually the band that prompted me to make this thread, as I brought them up in another thread here and suggested that Girl on the beach was a pretty damn good rock album. Probably not a success in many peoples' eyes; the band didn't do anything else afterwards and the lyrics maybe lacked sincerity, so they may have genuinely turned to shite had they continued. I rather hope they knew it was a fine note to end on and a perfect time to throw in the towel.

Pyogenesis -- This band just seems clueless and rode many different waves to try and latch on to what was popular. From doomdeath to some kind of pop punk is pretty damn strange, but I'd be a little more supportive if I thought they were actually any good at what they were attempting. If anything, maybe this shows it's more difficult to write an effective pop tune than some people realise.

Anathema -- While I feel they lost sight of what made them great after Judgment, Alternative 4 and the aforementioned record are really strong, melancholy, reflective rock albums with heavy Floyd influences. NO metal to be found there, but very affecting music. I know their more recent stuff has loads of fans, too, but they're not so rock anymore are they, with all the newer influences they've been adopting.

Morgoth -- Their last album, Feel Sorry for the Fanatic, was some kind of weird grungy rock affair with heavy Killing Joke reminiscences at times. I actually kind of enjoy it. They were a bit pretentious in interviews of the time though, complaining about death metal and its audiences. They now, oddly enough, play death metal again -- I guess I won't begrudge them anything as the live set I saw last year was really excellent.

Joyless -- From moody, loose, rock infused black metal with melodic garage-rock bass that basically led the charge to alienating, junked out rock with jangly chords and a singer who just wails and screeches in the most despondent and hopelessly tuneless, bitchy way. sounds a bit...no, a lot, like the velvet Underground. My description up there sounds pretty negative but it's actually good in a certain mood.

In the Woods -- From atmospheric, somewhat psychedelic sounding black metal to dreamy stuff that sounds like Pink Floyd had they been young and vibrant in the 1990s. omnio still has some metal going on but sTrange in stereo hasn't a trace of it left. It's a bit of a challenging record in some ways and possibly a bit "druggy" but I rather like it and wish they'd given us one more record, since this one isn't as good as Omnio but they probably could have produced a true rock masterpiece in a few years.

Celestial season -- they used to play a kind of very 70s sounding doomdeath, and turned into Kyuss + soundgarden or something. Not bad, at times.

Tiamat -- Going a little bit further from the territory I want to discuss with this thread, as their least metal work, A Deeper Kind of Slumber, is very synth heavy and certainly does not "rock the fuck out" in any manner. still, I guess they sort of qualify.

Other bands? Please comment if you have listened to this music. I've heard this happened to belial from Finland, but I've never seen 3 anywhere nor heard anyone speak of it. how about Disgrace? Carbonized? I'm not familiar with their last discs, myself, but I have heard that they both turned rock.

Lastly, do you think a band going from, say, death metal to jam rock are just stupid for not changing their name and trying to adopt a new fanbase, or are they actually bold and free-spirited for not caring? I imagine the attitude people have toward this will be directly reflective of how successful they think the change was and how much they actually like good rock music. Obviously, I'm just as much a fan of real rock 'n' roll as I am of metal, so this is a change I would tend to find a little more inspiring than a Polish black metal band turning into folk artists or, well, most stuff that Ulver does. :lol:
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:52 pm 

Disgrace (fin) started as usual finnish death metal but changed the style, logo and sound after the '94 EP.

Convulse (fin) also leaned towards this kind of change, although maybe not so radically. But the rock influence is certain on the 2nd album.

I guess Xysma was the groundbreaker on this as so many finnish death metal bands followed them and changed style.

Metal_Finder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:59 pm 

I would definitely say Njiqahdda fits the bill for this thread. Granted, their catalog is incredibly (I cannot over-state this) varied and in-depth; their latest material has mostly wiped away their previous sonic approach completely. With that said, there has been a strong western/desert blues sound (and clean vocals) originating all the way back to their very first release, so its not that huge of a jump.

Also, I think they are one of the few bands to make a huge jump (many huge jumps) successfully. I find their latest material to be some of my favorite in their catalog.

I will also add that my favorite Amorphis is their more space-y material, so they are another band who managed to make the transition well, in my opinion.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:12 pm 

Clotted Symmetric Sexual Organ... now they were always pretty odd and messed up but still quantified as a grind band. Then came Are you Excrements? and decided to straight up just be a stoner rock band.

grind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHa9pHYEg8I

odd fucked up grind with rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFNxmO5a5o

Stoner rock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6cbqIxFPgk

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm 

Dude, Carbonized all the way. Although their style is perhaps too strange to be labeled just... rock?

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:39 pm 

Embodyment was a strange band in that they were ahead of their time in some ways. Christian deathcore in 1998~! Their demos also had some decent-ish death metal, but nothing too special. Their last few albums though...wow. If people thought In Flames and Metallica softened up their sound too much in order to appeal to the masses, compare and contrast:

early: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spRxbJ3z4y8
mid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEHngdJ_lY4
late: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQWDMCp782s
last album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5mO2oPlPY

Their last few could have been slapped on any 2000s Creed or generic alt. rock band. Not so much rocking out, but they certainly did drop the metal.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:41 am 

Metal_Finder wrote:
I would definitely say Njiqahdda fits the bill for this thread. Granted, their catalog is incredibly (I cannot over-state this) varied and in-depth; their latest material has mostly wiped away their previous sonic approach completely. With that said, there has been a strong western/desert blues sound (and clean vocals) originating all the way back to their very first release, so its not that huge of a jump.

Not sure if I agree. I haven't heard Grain III or their latest EP (how do you keep up with a band that already has 9 releases so far this year?), but I'd say their latest work is progressive metal, if anything. It's still a far cry from rock in my opinion - the music has absolutely zero emphasis on melodic hooks or 'cool' singing, and still has full emphasis on riffs and song structure. I don't foresee this band ever releasing a standard rock'n'roll chorus-verse-chorus-verse-etc. song.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:54 am 

Feel Sorry for the Fanatic is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. :(

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 am 

Entombed also did some strange steps in their career. Hopefully they turn back to sence with their new album.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 am 

Desultory for sure:

start with death metal, goes into death n' roll, soon after in stoner rock (Zebulon :headbang: ) and comeback into death metal roots nowdays.

"You make it easy."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:07 am 

Did Entombed ever go "full" rock? I hear that Same Difference is their most rocky, but all the stuff I've heard before or after that is definitely metal - albeit metal that wants to "rock the fuck out" all the time. Certainly, Wolverine Blues and Uprising are cool records, though. The funny thing is that with Nicke Andersson's Hellacopters project the first album is basically MC5/Stooges/Dictators stuff with the Swedeath guitar sound.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:30 am 

"Definitely metal"? Wolverine Blues sounds like System of a Down without melodic vocals. :P

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:38 am 

Would Katatonia fit this category? I just acquired their new album, Dethroned & Uncrowned, and upon a further search, found out they used to be death metal. Their new album is essentially depressive rock, per the Metallum genre. I think it's pretty good, but it seems they've been this style for awhile, judging by the logo change and cover art for the past few albums of theirs.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:42 am 

Blood Duster 100% fit's this

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:30 am 

Paradise Lost and the Gathering definitely.

Neither went the route of Tiamat's A Deeper Kind of Slumber, which was actually quite a fantastic dark and atmospheric gothic rock album, but much more of a mellow, boring, commercialized and quasi-alternative take on the genre. Tiamat AFTER A Deeper Kind of Slumber did this.

Atrocity's Blut was a near-mallcore take on industrial metal. Not even getting Das Ich to remix it could save it. A HUGE step down from the progressive death masterpiece of Todessehnsucht!!

Entombed's Wolverine Blues was still very much a metal record in my book. More trad. metal with a few death metal overtones. I HATE the term "death n roll".

GuardAwakening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:54 am 

I'd like to say Opeth, but there's no guarantee that their next album won't go back to death metal.

Opeth were an extreme metal band for 2 decades and released two soft-oriented progressive rock albums Damnation (2003) and Heritage (2011) with death metal albums in between these two soft records with Heritage being the latest album in their overall library.

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:53 am 

The Black League started dark and deathy akin to Jarva's stuff with Sentenced and ended up going full on Black Label Society bikes and beer by their last album. Keep in mind, I like them very much.

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:42 am 

Are Darkthrone too obvious? They still got the raw production and some riffs which sound like they'd belong into (black) metal, but the overall attitude is pretty much what has been described by the OP. They're just rocking the fuck out.
Afterall they went from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iaj2w7Bp58
to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFN8O0KaOcs

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:44 am 

I think Darkthrone have in some ways come full circle, embracing overtly the influences from their earliest days while being better songwriters than they were in the pre-Soulside days. Anyway, they may not be playing black metal but they're still very much a metal band...sure though, they also rock. :P

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 am 

droneriot wrote:
Feel Sorry for the Fanatic is craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap. :(

:lol: Well you won't catch me saying it's some kind of masterpiece, but I find something like this rather enjoyable:

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:02 pm 

I guess they're back to metal, but I really liked Lake of Tears psychedelic period.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm 

Amoral immediately come to mind. They got that Finnish Idol singer and changed from quite good death metal to traditional/power metal. The music itself isn't terrible, but the vocalist kills it. He doesn't sound like he hit puberty yet.

Compare this:

With this:

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:50 pm 

I was thinking what about Sentenced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmgNwaF_BZk

http://youtu.be/g-13WcqBzSE

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:29 pm 

Disharmonic Orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz0x6zWZonQ

from this

to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhSRZADR-g

anddd Atrocity

from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oih-UMyezXA

to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynWBm5Mifo

Thats some change

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:

Calling the Rain wasn't a rock album, it was a neoclassical darkwave one, and a very bad darkwave album at that.

They should have studied Dead Can Dance and In the Nursery more before jumping genres...

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:11 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
I think Darkthrone have in some ways come full circle, embracing overtly the influences from their earliest days while being better songwriters than they were in the pre-Soulside days. Anyway, they may not be playing black metal but they're still very much a metal band...sure though, they also rock. :P

I dunno about better songwriters...... the first 4 Darkthrone full-lengths are MONOLITHIC in the world of how well-done both death and black metal can be......

But yeah, their new albums are just going back to their inspirations from the 80s, such as Venom and Celtic Frost. They may say they have "punk" elements, but that was just part and parcel of 80s extreme metal. Bands like Amebix were just inspired by the same things they were inspired by.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:14 pm 

Atropus, I think he is referring to their first two demos.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:48 pm 

How in the world has nobody mentioned "Swansong" by Carcass yet?

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:05 pm 

.....because it's still metal.

Of the most commercial/catchy stripe of melodeath, but still metal nonetheless.

Definitely more metal than Entombed's "To Ride....." and "Same Difference were.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:25 am 

droneriot wrote:
Atropus, I think he is referring to their first two demos.

Yeah. Stuff like this:

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:43 am 

To be honest, on my mp3 player I constantly always have Carcass' "Wake Up and Smell the Carcass", but only the offcuts from the Swansong era. The album goes backwards in time (ie; later songs first) and its not because I hate the grind stuff, I just like it in its place.

The songs at first seem to reek of Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", but are actually far superior rock songs and total growers, unlike the former. When I play it to mates who've never heard it, they can't believe it didn't make the final cut. I think it's also Ken Owen's last input (post whateverthefuckhappened), so I just love it, and love it some more.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:49 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:
To be honest, on my mp3 player I constantly always have Carcass' "Wake Up and Smell the Carcass", but only the offcuts from the Swansong era. The album goes backwards in time (ie; later songs first) and its not because I hate the grind stuff, I just like it in its place.

The songs at first seem to reek of Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", but are actually far superior rock songs and total growers, unlike the former. When I play it to mates who've never heard it, they can't believe it didn't make the final cut. I think it's also Ken Owen's last input (post whateverthefuckhappened), so I just love it, and love it some more.

yeah, I always liked the song "Edge of Darkness" a lot..it's pretty much better than anything on Swansong while being basically in the same style, except maybe more rocking actually...

But yes, I do consider Swansong to be metal so I don't really think it's entirely appropriate for this thread. I mean I don't think a death metal band gradually getting more overtly melodic and then swapping their vocalist for a clean singer should really throw anyone, for example...WHich is why I didn't talk about, say, Afflicted here and their album Dawn of Glory.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:07 am 

"Ever Increasing Circles" at first seems boring, but that breakdown.....faarrrrkkkk!!!!! Ken rules!!! Kicks bitch!!

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am 

droneriot wrote:
"Definitely metal"? Wolverine Blues sounds like System of a Down without melodic vocals. :P

What? No! Not in the slightest. The guitars are crushing, overdriven to the point of rotting the guitar mics, and the choruses are ferocious. It's an awesome record in my opinion. Maybe the song structures are closer to rock 'n' roll, but the energy and the power of the riffs are totally metal, plus LG Petrov vocals gave the album that extreme swedish vibe!

It's Opeth a wrong example? even if Damnation was entirely clean and mellow, their last album is a 70s prog rock/jazz hybrid with really catchy melodies, getting further from their early sound. If you compare Heritage with Morningrise, Deliverance or Blackwater Park, Opeth belongs to this tread.

Gorefest is one of the so-called death 'n' roll bands. Their first two albums were nice death metal with a lot of groovy hints, but they got even more rockish with time, the Entombed influence can't be denied.

Bathlehem started as a somewhat-black metal band with lots of depressive, dark hints in their music, but they experimented with gothic/dark rock in Mein Weg, which is a really nice album. What a shame that their work with the great Kvarforth turned out like total and utter shit.

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am 

The Czech band Forgotten Silence basically started as a doomdeath kind of band and with their stuff from the mid 2000s play jazz/fusion, which is on the borderline of rock I suppose. Actually just listened to their new one though and it seems like they're metal again.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxiKuGJhj0o

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
Not sure if I agree. I haven't heard Grain III or their latest EP (how do you keep up with a band that already has 9 releases so far this year?), but I'd say their latest work is progressive metal, if anything. It's still a far cry from rock in my opinion - the music has absolutely zero emphasis on melodic hooks or 'cool' singing, and still has full emphasis on riffs and song structure. I don't foresee this band ever releasing a standard rock'n'roll chorus-verse-chorus-verse-etc. song.

Listen to their latest EP. It's rock.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:59 pm 

IanThrash wrote:
droneriot wrote:

What? No! Not in the slightest. The guitars are crushing, overdriven to the point of rotting the guitar mics, and the choruses are ferocious. It's an awesome record in my opinion. Maybe the song structures are closer to rock 'n' roll, but the energy and the power of the riffs are totally metal, plus LG Petrov vocals gave the album that extreme swedish vibe!

That's why I hate the term "death n roll". It's like it's suggesting it's not metal.

Wolverine Blues sure as hell wasn't death metal, but it was still definitely a "heavy metal" album, maybe with a few death metal nuances, like vocals, guitar tone, and horror-themed lyrics.
I wouldn't even call it "groove metal", because I still hear a lot more Mercyful Fate in that album than Pantera..... However, as for their post-Wolverine Blues stuff, the metalness is definitely questionable as the punk and stoner influences take over.

"Groove death" would be more like that garbage Six Feet Under play, or Atrocity's Blut.
Alex Krull has some of the WORST VOCALS EVER on Blut!!! Like Sesame Street's Telly, Oscar the Grouch, and Cookie Monster decided to form a rap trio!!
The only thing that makes Die Liebe listenable is the fact that Bruno Kramm of Das Ich transforms it from godawful mallcore/groove into half-tolerable industrial metal...... you can only polish a turd so much though.

I thought Bethlehem were trying to cash in on the Neue Deutsche Harte (Rammstein, OOMPH!, etc.) sound with that Alexander Welt album. The music is far better and more diverse than anything those bands have done though......

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:33 am 

The Polish band Yattering went from technical brutal DM to alternative rock with electro influences on their last release.
Not the highlight of their career - it is quite average to be fair, but I happen to enjoy it once in a while when in the mood... :oh shit:
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

antonthereaper
Mallcore!!!! Kid!!!!!!!! (actual rank!!!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:46 pm 

I would have to say Avenged Sevenfold! They started out as Metalcore then turned into generic rock/metal.
(Yeah, this is probably a laughable example but it's still a valid one!)

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:49 pm 

antonthereaper wrote:
I would have to say Avenged Sevenfold! They started out as Metalcore then turned into generic rock/metal.
(Yeah, this is probably a laughable example but it's still a valid one!)

They were never grind, death or black metal though, were they? A friend of mine who has no interest in "extreme" metal whatsoever seems to have liked them for many years, and nothing I've heard from them has been anywhere close to those genres.

SPeaking of which though, I listened to that Embodyment band someone posted earlier and that is indeed one hell of a switch. The demo track posted was kind of fascinating because of the weird as hell production (seriously oopy) and manic Cryptopsy-like music. Then what happened? Lol: Track from the latest disc had a strange production too, but in this case it was just bad, and the music...oh the boredom!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next