Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm 

So it looks like Ted is releasing an album of old school heavy metal! Count me down as interested for sure. I hope it's more thought out than Fenriz' Red Planet (which was kinda fun but a bit half-assed).

Is this a way to get the traditional heavy metal urges out of the system before Darkthrone changes direction again? Or will it be the bridge to what we can expect on their next album? Only time will tell...

Slated for a 28 October release:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/233/5075/

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:32 pm 

Holy shit, I was not expecting this! I know alot of people hated The Underground Resistance, but I am a big fan of that album. I definitely will be looking forward to this one. That cover art is pretty cool as well.

Last edited by HellishHound on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:49 pm 

Hoo, shit, this is awesome news indeed. It will be interesting at least.

And I like the cover. It looks like some fantasy RPG videogame from the late '90.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:12 pm 

I saw this one on facebook earlier. The news is so awesome that it still hasn't registered with me yet.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:00 pm 

Sounds cool. I really liked The Underground Resistance, so this should be nice. Plus, they have the freaking Spectre on the album cover! :lol:

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 pm 

ThrashingTheRedemer wrote:
Is this a way to get the traditional heavy metal urges out of the system before Darkthrone changes direction again? Or will it be the bridge to what we can expect on their next album? Only time will tell...

I read a recent interview with Fenriz and he said Nocturno's new songs are "fast and black," but I think it will be more of the same in any case.

This looks interesting and I may check it out when it's released. Nocturno is one of the better songwriters in the scene.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
Plus, they have the freaking Spectre on the album cover! :lol:

DC fan I guess? :D

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:02 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
I know alot of people hated The Underground Resistance.

The review scores most definitely disagree with you. It has an average score of 84 % based on 15 reviews. The highest since Panzerfaust.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:11 pm 

Can't wait to hear how this sounds!

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm 

PazuzuZlave wrote:
HellishHound wrote:
I know alot of people hated The Underground Resistance.

The review scores most definitely disagree with you. It has an average score of 84 % based on 15 reviews. The highest since Panzerfaust.

Yeah the review scores say one thing but the actual thread made when the album came out said something completely different. But I could care less if anyone else liked it at all, haha as long as I do. In fact it's in my car's stereo right now.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:03 pm 

Many of the positive reviews for The Underground Resistance were presumably motivated by the very backlash that was expressed in the form of forum posts and such.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:15 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Many of the positive reviews for The Underground Resistance were presumably motivated by the very backlash that was expressed in the form of forum posts and such.

Exactly, I based my observation off of what I saw in the forums regarding the album, which was highly negative.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:53 pm 

Nah there were like three people being negative, most incessantly the queen negative Nancy Veracs, mowt people were "its pretty good" like myself, to "its fucking amazing" like say metantione. The people constantly bitching that deliberatelt making a throwback albums is the more creatively bankrupt, immoral thing ever were a tiny, tiny minority.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:05 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nah there were like three people being negative, most incessantly the queen negative Nancy Veracs, mowt people were "its pretty good" like myself, to "its fucking amazing" like say metantione. The people constantly bitching that deliberatelt making a throwback albums is the more creatively bankrupt, immoral thing ever were a tiny, tiny minority.

Hmm maybe I need to go back and look, I just remember alot of bitching, but now that I'm thinking it might have been mostly from veracs lol

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 pm 

Does anyone else have a serious and instant revulsion to possessives in band names like this? I can't figure out why but they've always disgusted me. Just name the band, if you want it to be an eponymous thing then name it after yourself.

Pet peeves aside this came out of NOWHERE and I'm curious. Haven't really bought any of the newer Darkthrone releases but what I've heard was really solid and I'd probably like it even more if they were heavier handed with the trad heavy metal. We'll see what Ted cooks up. The tracklist is either awesome or scary...I hope those aren't super long songs.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:32 pm 

Ooh, I will be looking forward to this. I really enjoyed Darkthrone's latest and I am optimistic this will also be awesome.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:16 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Does anyone else have a serious and instant revulsion to possessives in band names like this? I can't figure out why but they've always disgusted me. Just name the band, if you want it to be an eponymous thing then name it after yourself.

haha
as in Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow or Tobias Sammet's Avantasia?
I don't know, I understand the repulsion, but it's a good indicator that the artist will be the mastermind behind the project.
And, probably, the inclusion of the artist name it's because of the label and marketing reasons more than the artist wanting his name to be on the top.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm 

Gaaaaahhhd I forgot about the first Rainbow having the Blackmore tag. There's an exception to everything, but it's no coincidence Rising is 10x better!

The more I think about the tracklist the more ominous it seems. 6 songs, including an intro/outro and cover? I don't want 10+ minute songs.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:25 pm 

Satan, how many virgins must I sacrifice for Olof Wikstrand to sing on this album?

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:35 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Gaaaaahhhd I forgot about the first Rainbow having the Blackmore tag. There's an exception to everything, but it's no coincidence Rising is 10x better!

The more I think about the tracklist the more ominous it seems. 6 songs, including an intro/outro and cover? I don't want 10+ minute songs.

Catch The Rainbow alone is greater than everything else by Rainbow combined. :roll:

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:55 am 

Blackmore's Night cancels everything else out though

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:16 pm 

Why is it written Receive on the low side of the cover? Is it a kind of subtitle?

ThrashingTheRedemer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:31 pm 

KFD wrote:
Why is it written Receive on the low side of the cover? Is it a kind of subtitle?

Receive is the name of the EP/mini-album. Nocturno Culto's Gift of the Gods is the name of the project/band.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:46 am 

We could settle the question with a quick poll. For/Against New/Nu-Darkthrone?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 pm 

A song has been released! It's an edit. You can stream and download it at this link: http://www.peaceville.com/nocturnoculto/index.php

I like it. It's pretty similar to his recent Darkthrone songs if not more restrained, and the production is cleaner.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:21 pm 

Culto Kinda sounds like Gabriel Fischer on that track.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:09 am 

Why are so many of these throwback bands so careless/ignorant/negligent/indifferent about the vocals?? They just lay down some lazy monotone gruff vocals, thinking "well, it worked for Cronos", should work here as well."
Alan Averill has some nice high pitched vocals on the TotG album, but it's as if he doesn't really dare to drop his normal gruff vocals, which fit well in Primordial.
I don't see how Ted is going to pull off the Universe cover, which is a shame. Such a great band, with a fantastic vocalist.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:40 pm 

Opus wrote:
Alan Averill has some nice high pitched vocals on the TotG album, but it's as if he doesn't really dare to drop his normal gruff vocals, which fit well in Primordial.

Why should he? He delivers in his high-energy, punishing mode most of the time on the TotG album, with those awesome highs to boot. What kind of vocals by him would suit the music better, in your opinion? In case your answer is "more highs", please consider that those are most likely a far greater strain on his voice than his regular vocal style. His vocals are roughly just as passionate as in Primordial's work, if they do lack the dramatic quality (which, of course, is an enormous asset); they are not simply some gruff vocals he offhandedly put out. The music doesn't lend itself to similar dramatic heights as his main project's, but there is no particular absence of heart in his TotG performance either.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:53 pm 

Completely forgot about this release! I'm very excited for it. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it on CD!
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

cadena
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 pm 

Im exhausted of nocturnos ocultos sides project there are all in the same line as darkthrone new sound. I like SARKE btw. Hope this new project of his will not go in the same direction of darkthrone and sarke.

Reply to topic