Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:14 pm 

Dude you have no idea how much it turns me on when a German train arrives punctually for once.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Dude you have no idea how much it turns me on when a German train arrives punctually for once.

Read that and had to dig this out of the post-your-picture thread.

Spoiler: show

:lol:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:43 pm 

Seems like that picture will haunt me forever :tinfoil:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 pm 

Strangest dream possible that I had last night:

Avenged Sevenfold puts out an album between Nightmare and Hail to the King. This album is Altar of Plagues style post-black metal, complete with 20 minute songs, only the vocal style is exactly the same as other Avenged material. Then they do Hail to the King and it's the same Black Album worship that it is in real life.

That goes far and beyond the call of duty when it comes to complete what-the-fuckery in dreams of mine.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:35 pm 

You're an awful human being, the only way it could had been worse if that if Ghost influences were on that album.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:41 pm 

Apparently blind people can have gun permits. Disability rights activists claim that denying the permits based on the fact that a person is fucking blind violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. Just...what?

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:44 pm 

Hey, I never said it was a good dream.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:50 pm 

That new Death Ray Vision? Pretty awesome.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:34 pm 

Little late to the party but regarding the discussion on "Rock band X sucks", can we at least agree that Clutch is awesome? Maybe it's a bit unfair to cite Clutch coz they have stoner rock leanings and may not be as mainstream as the aforementioned QOTSA, STP, RHCP etc. But I still consider them to be heavy weights in the rock/hard rock spectrum.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:33 pm 

Inhumanist: Yeah, no. The new RoB is monumental. Their isn't a weak song on it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:39 pm 

Enjoying it that much? Good for you. To me it seems the magic is mostly gone. Or it hasn't shown itself yet.

It's not a "black album" but it might be a "Fighting the World". Depends on future output.

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm 

That's nuts. It's an incredibly artistic, individual work - perhaps the one where we see his individual sound being pushed into its most idiosyncratic and least genre-based form. Very complex and well put together. If you wanted a more black metal-sounding work, I can see how you'd be disappointed. Personally I think this is a bold stride forward. I'm glad he isn't catering to anyone but his own mad artistic desires.

Quote:
Or it hasn't shown itself yet.

There's your problem right there; this isn't an easy album to judge. Give it some time like every ROB album.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm 

Treading new grounds can lead to confusion. If I'm the one who's confused, or Meilenwald is, remains to be seen.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

I don't know about that, man. I was in love with it after one listen. Such tension, such atmosphere, such amazing riffs.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:02 pm 

I don't remember there even being that many memorable riffs... you know what, I'm putting it on now.

Edit: Is that even an idiom? Putting on a CD? I'm not even sure.

Edit2: Yeah, Daemon is still awesome and Malefica works great as an epilogue for it.

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:04 pm 

He managed to put a repeating melody in several songs in a row and keep it stirring and even horrific in the atmosphere. That's some bona fide genius - the whole thing flows like one long song. I've only listened to it a few times now but I think it could be up there with Meads of Asphodel for album of the year.

Obviously there's a lot of taste preference here but I don't think it's like he just decided out of nowhere to go in this direction. This is a distillation of everything he's ever been about, with less of the conventions of black metal applied. He's been headed here for four albums now.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 pm 

Awesome, I get to spin some tunes on my mate's local radio show tomorrow. He said I can put on ANYTHING I want, so I guess the 20 people who listen are in for a suprise. I'm thinking of spinning some Devin Townsend, Barren Earth, Gojira, maybe some Horn of the Rhino if we got enough time, probably some Opeth, some Virus, and atleast one song from the new Tribulation. Stoked. :hyper:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:03 pm 

inhumanist, weren't you the one that said that the spoken female parts of "Ordeal" reminded you of "Impropogation" by Carcass?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:28 pm 

And while we're talking about Van Records, I went back to the 2013 sampler they sent me along with the copy of Nagelfar's Hunengrab im Herbst that I ordered. I really dig the first song on it even though I'm not usually into post rock.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:36 am 

I've been sitting here this evening jamming along with my drum machine, playing around with riffs and arrangement, and throwing in some great riffs from bands I listen to. There's a certain guitar lead that's one of my favorite parts of any black metal song ever. It's a simple, nifty part placed perfectly in the arrangement of the song - the song itself and this part are fairly simple, but it's one of those things that makes the song stand out. What a great song and nifty lead that is.

Now, while playing that, I realized that a much, much lesser band had done something else with that same melody, and now I can't help but think of that awful song when I hear an awesome, epic black metal song. :(

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:43 am 

Eh, that's isn't terribly identical. The Papa Roach one is actually a lot closer to.....oh.....I don't know, about 30 different Iron Maiden riffs.

EDIT: actually, Papa Roach has quite the reputation for littering their hit singles with Maiden ripoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OvktjiTt6s

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:50 am 

Wilytank wrote:
And while we're talking about Van Records, I went back to the 2013 sampler they sent me along with the copy of Nagelfar's Hunengrab im Herbst that I ordered. I really dig the first song on it even though I'm not usually into post rock.

I got a bonus cd from Van when I ordered form them, and I was disappointed to see most of it was just lame occult rock aside from a live Urfaust track and a premastered ROB one.

Anyway, Porto wine is so good. Damn. I can't see a bigger sign that if there is a god, he hates us, than the fact that booze is finite. I wish bottles would just refill themselves magically.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:47 am 

Empyreal wrote:
He managed to put a repeating melody in several songs in a row and keep it stirring and even horrific in the atmosphere. That's some bona fide genius - the whole thing flows like one long song. I've only listened to it a few times now but I think it could be up there with Meads of Asphodel for album of the year.

Obviously there's a lot of taste preference here but I don't think it's like he just decided out of nowhere to go in this direction. This is a distillation of everything he's ever been about, with less of the conventions of black metal applied. He's been headed here for four albums now.

I know, isn't it great. Each album has had it's own distinct, malevolent atmosphere and power, and this magnificent new album is no different. I have no problem with less being more in this respect. Monumental.

My collection

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:44 am 

Just bought Alice Cooper's "Raise Your Fist And Yell" and I gotta say - a mostly awesome and I think underrated album. Some real metal burners there, plenty of shredding solos and a kickass vocals performance by Cooper. I could see Alice being inducted to the Archives on the basis of this album and songs like "Time To Kill", "Prince Of Darkness" and especially speed metal monsters like "Roses On White Lace".

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:43 am 

Marag wrote:
Anyway, Porto wine is so good. Damn. I can't see a bigger sign that if there is a god, he hates us, than the fact that booze is finite. I wish bottles would just refill themselves magically.

The finiteness of booze, most heinous form of human suffering. Hunger, rape, and natural disasters? Eh, get over it and fetch me a beer.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 am 

My grandfather apparently just died about an hour ago. On September 11th. It's not like today was already going to be depressing enough or anything. :annoyed:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:20 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
I know, isn't it great. Each album has had it's own distinct, malevolent atmosphere and power, and this magnificent new album is no different. I have no problem with less being more in this respect. Monumental.

Just grabbed it yesterday so will be giving this a listen soon. Hoping to be gradually won over after the initial less-than-amazing impression I got from the leaked tracks. I still think the cover art kind of sucks, though...

As for port wine, yes, port is wonderful. I keep putting off buying a new bottle of ruby for some dumb reason.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:31 am 

Let's never forget about September 11, the day last year about 300 people were killed in garment factory fires in Pakistan because the German discounter KiK couldn't be bothered with enforcing basic safety measures.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 am 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Apparently blind people can have gun permits. Disability rights activists claim that denying the permits based on the fact that a person is fucking blind violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. Just...what?

What's the problem? Seems almost everyone else has the right to own guns there..I wouldn't want to be the one left out, either. Does the concept make you afraid?!?!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 am 

Next thing you know they are teaching guide dogs to bark whenever their owner is allowed to shoot. One bark: warning shot, two barks: shoot to wound, three barks: shoot to kill.

Gun mounted dogs, this is going to happen.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Next thing you know they are teaching guide dogs to bark whenever their owner is allowed to shoot. One bark: warning shot, two barks shoot to wound, three barks: shoot to kill.

:lol: So the world has now officially gone to the dogs, has it?
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 am 

too bad for cats

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:06 am 

inhumanist wrote:
Let's never forget about September 11, the day last year about 300 people were killed in garment factory fires in Pakistan because the German discounter KiK couldn't be bothered with enforcing basic safety measures.

As if that talking red shirt mascot wasn't already obnoxious enough.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:44 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
My grandfather apparently just died about an hour ago. On September 11th. It's not like today was already going to be depressing enough or anything. :annoyed:

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you and your family get through it alright.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:00 pm 

Am I the only one tired of 9/11 remembrance?

Surely the old patriots and patriarchs that surround me down here in America's retirement home would fancy me "unpatriotic" for that statement, but it's true. After 12 years, the force-fed, throat-clogging memorial atmosphere that comes around every year has become too draining. I understand the tragedy involved in the loss of near 3,000 people in a highly brazen fashion, but after 12 years, surely those who lost someone have had ample time to grieve and move on? I'm really curious as to when 9/11 will become just another Pearl Harbor; a note in the high school history book that we dedicate a 5 minute recap to on the nightly news every year before moving on to sports.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 pm 

I agree, it is wearing thin.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:02 pm 

Spoiler: show
on 9/11 (specifically, why the remembrance thing is asinine)

I live in the DC area and my Dad was in the Pentagon when it got hit, but I was only five then, so I just remember a kind of vague and blind fear because Mum was scared and something was wrong where Dad was.

And, somehow I don't think everyone who did lose someone, etc. want to have that shoved in their face constantly every year for a day.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm 

Happy "all your republican friends will spam your Facebook feed with pictures of American flags and firefighters" day, everyone!

You know how I like to bitch and moan about how shitloads of metalheads think that "shoegaze" is a word that means "bands that combine elements of post-rock and/or shoegaze with black metal"? Well, in a hilarious turn of irony, apparently the non-metalhead post-rock community now largely believes that "shoegaze" means the exact same thing. So, congratulations, Neige, you've somehow managed to appropriate an entire genre tag from a legitimate genre with your boring sad guy bullshit.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Last edited by iamntbatman on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Sorry to hear that mate, hope you and your family get through it alright.

We seem to be. So far, anyway.

I wasn't really that close to him, since he did have a very standoffish personality, but I did live under his roof for 5 years not too long ago.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:27 pm 

MetalCuresHeadaches wrote:
Am I the only one tired of 9/11 remembrance?

Surely the old patriots and patriarchs that surround me down here in America's retirement home would fancy me "unpatriotic" for that statement, but it's true. After 12 years, the force-fed, throat-clogging memorial atmosphere that comes around every year has become too draining. I understand the tragedy involved in the loss of near 3,000 people in a highly brazen fashion, but after 12 years, surely those who lost someone have had ample time to grieve and move on? I'm really curious as to when 9/11 will become just another Pearl Harbor; a note in the high school history book that we dedicate a 5 minute recap to on the nightly news every year before moving on to sports.

I'm an outsider, so I can't really judge the size of the yearly 9/11 remembrance, but if it's really the giant red white and blue bukkake as you say it is then they should turn it down a notch. Maybe something like a one minute of silence would suffice. 9/11 will definitely turn into another Pearl Harbor at some point. The memory will erode, eyewitnesses will grow old and die, and other more recent tragedies will be more important for the majority of the public.

EDIT. As there were a lot more eyewitnesses for 9/11 than for Pearl Harbor, and also of many different ages, 9/11 will probably last longer than Pearl Harbor.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 258, 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264 ... 518  Next