Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:06 am 

As I am beginning to broaden my horizons beyond my own bands for my young label AOZR, I have come to the conclusion that I should begin with something special, paying tribute to a band that is very dear to me and that had a big influence on how I define the musical outlook and philosophy for my young and so far hardly notable label. I am, as you have guessed from the title, about the band Disembowelment. You see, prior to them, there have been bands that have tried something left-field, abstractly artistic and designedly unique, most notably Celtic Frost on their second album, but almost all of these bands have relied on shallow crutches to achieve that image by being forcedly avant-garde and erratic for its own sake without blending it into a consistent whole. Disembowelment changed that, in fact they changed the entire concept of artistry in metal by avoiding jumping into the listeners face by how spastic and "weird" they are with hiphop beats and "Mexican Radio" covers and instead creating a unique musical statement while keeping it simple, to the point, and relentlessly intense. No band has achieved this before, and very few have achieved this since. Disembowelment stands as a monolith in metal history, as one of a kind, and as one of the most brutal, intense, yet deep and relective works ever crafted in rock music.

So, let us honour this outstanding achievement with a tribute to their grandness. I would like to state that in my vision, this will not be an ordinary tribute album with a collection of mindless apeing of given tunes without an ounce of thought or creativity into it for the sake of unquestioning hero worship. No, my intent is to create a compilation where every artists draws from the wealth of Disembowelment's creative output and molds it into something that is truly his, her or their own, something which on one side pays tribute to those this compilation intends to pay tribute to, but on the other side is an expression of what lies deep within the artist's soul. This does not mean that "loyal" covers are unforgivingly frowned upon, but, to be absolutely clear, I want to hear you play a tune you choose (or, if you wish, a medley of several tunes, or just a single riff on droning repeat, be creative) like you truly mean it, like it's truly you playing it, not a "good soldier" taking orders from either me or the band. Play your heart out!

Should this concept appeal to anyone reading this, please, by all means, drop me a line. For now, there is no deadline, because, as I wish to release this on a professional CD (perhaps vinyl later on), there needs to be money saved, and I don't want you or anyone to rush through the thing anyway. Take your time to think about it and come up with some interesting ideas for your contribution. But, for now, if there is general interest, send me a message and I'll note you down for now, then if later you wish to cancel your contribution you can just send me another message about it, I won't hold a grudge. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Oh, and if you people can do me a favour: If any of you hang out in any other metal forum which musicians frequent, be so kind as to re-post this post there. And if you have metal musicians among your Facebook friends which don't use this forum, feel free (or courteously asked) to re-post there as well. And let me know about it, so I can check for eventual responses and if necessary register there and respond. And of course, since I won't be registering everywhere this might be reposted I'll include my email address right here: [email protected]

Thanks in advance! Let's do this!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by droneriot on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:30 pm 

I like that it's not supposed to be some mindless cover of some tunes.

I love disembowelment and for a long time wanted to do a project in that style... perhaps this might be the chance to fullfill it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:28 pm 

I'm definitely interested. I've found the utterly black atmosphere of their music to be extremely awe-inspiring. I'm afraid that anything I'm capable of writing will do poor justice to the quality of their music, however.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:41 pm 

Mad points for someone that will just loop the first minute of Prophetic Throne of Ivory for 10 minutes. I'd love to get onboard this, shame I'm in no established band :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 pm 

caspian wrote:
shame I'm in no established band :(

That hasn't stopped me from releasing 5 albums, with three more to come.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:02 pm 

yea when has that ever stopped anyone? Esp on this forum between me and infinite we have released well over 40 things.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:04 am 

Settle down bros. At the moment that basically means I don't have a jamming partner, and I find my material is about 100x better if I do. I also have no way of recording it at the moment, so yeah, there's a few things stopping me looping the shit out of Prophetic Throne. Alas :(

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:10 pm 

Oh well that makes more sense then.

Reply to topic