Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:22 pm 

I have some suggestions that I'd like to see implemented on MA. Here they are:

1)Similar albuns: It would work just like the similar artist tab. There's a ton of albuns from a lot of different bands that is very similar, like the lyrics, the vocals, etc... The user can vote only one time per album, juust like the similar artist work.

2)Scoring an album: Unfortunally I don't have the gift to write reviews, like many other users here, and English is my second language, and I'd like to score an album, but I can't do it if I can't make a review for an album, and I bet that it disappoints me and other users.

3)Metal scenes: Right now, here on MA, Iron Maiden's genre is Heavy Metal/NWOBHM , but you don't see the genre of Sepultura being : Death/Thrash Metal (early), Groove/Hardcore (later) (Brazilian thrash metal), or In Flames being : Melodic Death Metal (early), Melodic Groove Metal (later) (Gothenburg metal scene). NWOBHM it's not a genre, it's a scene. So, I propose to implement a tool to search bands by their scenes: NWOBHM, Brazilian thrash metal, Swedish death metal, Norwegian black metal and their waves, etc...

So, you devs, mods, users, pls share your thoughts about these 3 suggestions. And sorry for any English mistakes.

FantomLord17 wrote:
...while In Flames lyrics make me think of a teenager's facebook post.

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 am 

1) Seems to me this would be mostly redundant - if you want to find albums similar to Immortal's works, you can find some by looking at the albums of the bands similar to Immortal. Some very rare cases, like acoustic albums or holiday albums would stand out though.

2) What purpose would the scores serve?

3) I don't have very strong opinions about usefulness/importance of pseudo-genres/scenes (I just think they're kind of pointless), but you can already search Brazilian black metal bands like this.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 pm 

RonimuZ wrote:
1) Seems to me this would be mostly redundant - if you want to find albums similar to Immortal's works, you can find some by looking at the albums of the bands similar to Immortal. Some very rare cases, like acoustic albums or holiday albums would stand out though.

2) What purpose would the scores serve?

3) I don't have very strong opinions about usefulness/importance of pseudo-genres/scenes (I just think they're kind of pointless), but you can already search Brazilian black metal bands like this.

1)Yes, I know, but there are bands that changed their genre, like In Flames and Soilwork, an I think that In Flames Come Clarity is very similar to Soilwork's The Panic Broadcast, but I can't compare the last one to The Jester Race.

2) To show the difference of a well made album to a lame album, like Kill 'Em All and St. Anger.

3)Right now, if I want to serch the bands that formed the Swedish death metal scene, I have to go to the advanced serch, put the years (1988 to 1994), the genre (Death metal), the country (Sweden), and the City/state/province (Gothenburg or Stockholm). It's very annoying do this every time...

FantomLord17 wrote:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:53 pm 

Sounds overtly nitpicky and complex on the end of having to code it. Stop being lazy.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:47 pm 

all my albuns are similar

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:28 pm 

aloof wrote:
all my albuns are similar

Similar albuns from different bands/genres?

FantomLord17 wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
2)Scoring an album: Unfortunally I don't have the gift to write reviews, like many other users here, and English is my second language, and I'd like to score an album, but I can't do it if I can't make a review for an album, and I bet that it disappoints me and other users.

All I see this accomplishing is opening a door for fanboys and trolls. The site would get fucked up with "This band is Wintersun. All my 100% are belong to us" or "This band sounds good but they have NS lyrics and they should feel bad. 0%."

Cursarion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 am 

omnishadow wrote:
1)Yes, I know, but there are bands that changed their genre, like In Flames and Soilwork, an I think that In Flames Come Clarity is very similar to Soilwork's The Panic Broadcast, but I can't compare the last one to The Jester Race.

Err, so the bands in your example are generally similar (113 similarity score), but they both have released something different? The genre fields of the bands say "Melodic Death Metal (early), Melodic Groove Metal (later)" and "Melodic Death Metal (early), Metalcore/Melodic Groove Metal (later)" respectively, so anyone can guess their all of their albums aren't identical.

omnishadow wrote:
2) To show the difference of a well made album to a lame album, like Kill 'Em All and St. Anger.

And what purpose does this serve? IMO, someone saying "this album is awesome" or "this album sucks" is completely worthless. What's interesting is why they think so, which is why there are reviews. How do you tell apart a power metal hater giving 0% because he hates the genre and a power metal fan giving 0% because he thinks the album is utter shit?

omnishadow wrote:
3)Right now, if I want to serch the bands that formed the Swedish death metal scene, I have to go to the advanced serch, put the years (1988 to 1994), the genre (Death metal), the country (Sweden), and the City/state/province (Gothenburg or Stockholm). It's very annoying do this every time...

You could always use bookmarks and save yourself a lot of typing... You can even have different presets which you could change slightly when you want to search them.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:10 pm 

Ok, so I have another suggestion:

4)Album of Photos: Would be awesome if we could add more photos on the artist page, creating an album of photos of artists playing on concerts, or an album with photos with the entire band members, etc.., specially for bands that are playing for decades and have changed their visual over the time.

FantomLord17 wrote:

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:55 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Ok, so I have another suggestion:

4)Album of Photos: Would be awesome if we could add more photos on the artist page, creating an album of photos of artists playing on concerts, or an album with photos with the entire band members, etc.., specially for bands that are playing for decades and have changed their visual over the time.

Already requested/on the to-do list.

Reply to topic