Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:05 pm 

STORMM wrote:

Speaking of Blazon Stone, here ya go -

http://stormspell.bandcamp.com/album/re ... port-royal

Sounding great on first listen Rocka-Rollas, well done, I look forward to picking up your 3 new albums! Too much talent man.

Yesss, I've been waiting for this one for quite a while. I'll be checking this out very soon. :thumbsup:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:36 pm 

Nice Stormm, listened to both his new Mortyr, and Rocka Rollas output too. Guys a maniac, must be dozens of redbull cans strewn across his studio if not more :lol:

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:57 am 

No energy drinks here :-D

Anyway, that Blood Island "snippet" (can bands stop use that fucking term?! that's very close to what what swedish people call small girls vaginas) is both hopeful and not. It's clearly a return to form if we talk about generic The Rivalry half-epicness, but that song is supposed to be "the epic" of the album so I really hope that this chorus is one of the first and then the song changes pace into something slower and heavier and belt out some choruses like Battle Of Waterloo, Treasure Island or Blazon Stone, because this chorus is far from as impressive as they might think. It's totally okay.
The introduction "melody" was cool but still was a bit "too spectacular" because it's no melody you can really shout along with. Doesn't have to be either, but I can imagine a huge crowd Oooohing to the intro guitar melody of Treasure Island.

It's only a short clip but I give it a thumbs up, and I'm just about ready to buy the album. I have not decided if I wanna buy the CD or vinyl, can't buy both because of my economics.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:22 am 

Huh, can't say I wasn't bobbing to it a little at the beginning. However, it sounds like a flat b-side with The Brotherhood production. What, is he creeping his way back? Doubt it, he's just skimming the waters he used to tread. I'd be surprised if there's more than 2 songs for the album that beat it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:10 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Maybe Rolf came across the Blazon stone album and realized his throne was in danger of being usurped and that lit a fire in him :lol:

My thoughts exactly. It's pretty odd that Rolf went from "Me & the Boys" straight to stuff that, based on this short sample alone, sounds exactly like he's trying to recapture the magic from the early 90s RW run. It's quite a bit too slow and too mellow for that, this would be closer to a Rivalry-era B-side, but it sure shows that he's at least trying again. Why is that, when at the same time, he's still failing to acknowledge the critical and commercial failure/embarrassment that was 'Shadowmaker'? I'm thinking Ced & the boys might have given him a long overdue wake-up call. :D

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:33 pm 

i dont need a new RW album i want to see RW play in my back yard.

oh dont worry rocka rollas, your stuff sounds awesome and i am tempted to buy your album even though i am already going to a lot of gigs in the near future.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm 

Samples from all the tracks -

https://www.amazon.de/gp/dmusic/device/ ... ningwildde

Keen to hear Blood Island in its entirety.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:25 pm 

Not working for me

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:32 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Not working for me

Sorry, fucking mobile lol -

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00F6LP ... ningwildde

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

Hurray, another rock album :roll: It is safe to say Rolf has lost it. Sucks that the Bloody island sample was just the intro bit and not any of the main elements, that one could be interesting.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:39 pm 

Sounds awful.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:36 pm 

These old boys, still love that noise!

Obligatory Last FM Link

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am 

wow.... bloody island sample from facebook was really good. These samples are so uninspired and absolutely boring as shit.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:04 pm 

Those samples are very mediocre. It sounds like it could be better than Shadowmaker, but that doesn't say much. Solider of Fortune and Bloody Island have potential. Everything else is just meh.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 am 

For being almost entirely made out of rock numbers it still sounds way more energic than Shadowmaker + the rest of the Angelo Sasso albums. So I have my hopes up! However he should at least put one fucking fast song in, like Libertalia to mix things up a bit.

Down In The Wire is the only snippet I cringe of hearing.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:46 am 

It's Rolf's Death or Glory Magnetic: pandering to the fans without actually going as far as making good music again.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 am 

I'm about half way through the samples and I really like them. I'm probably not as familiar with RW as most people here, but this is just good, simple heavy metal. If they get some decent distribution in North America, I'll end up buying it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

Just listened to the samples...imagine if Rocka Rollas/Blazon Stone were a project by a 52 year-old fat guy who listens to a lot of AC/DC but heard a Running Wild album once. Also he's constipated.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:36 pm 

Is there an actual source showing the drums on Resilient/Shadowmaker are actually programmed? I mean, I know they sound like shit, but I'm looking for Rolf's word on it and I can't find anything. Running Wild's website shows they have a full band now...:scratch:

Obligatory Last FM Link

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:53 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Running Wild's website shows they have a full band now...:scratch:

It does? The members section shows the final line-up before the initial break-up, not the current one which = Harley Rolf, PJ, and "we-all-know-it's-a" computer. Rolf'll never admit that he's using a computer, so expecting his word on it isn't going to happen unless he actually has a drummer to show off.

EDIT:

Looking elsewhere, it does show that he's basically continuing the previous line-up... but where are they?
No, the website's out of date. It has to be. I've checked other sites and they're basing their info on that same page, but it's uncertain.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
It does? The members section shows the final line-up before the initial break-up, not the current one which = Harley Rolf, PJ, and "we-all-know-it's-a" computer. Rolf'll never admit that he's using a computer, so expecting his word on it isn't going to happen unless he actually has a drummer to show off.

EDIT:

Looking elsewhere, it does show that he's basically continuing the previous line-up... but where are they?
No, the website's out of date. It has to be. I've checked other sites and they're basing their info on that same page, but it's uncertain.

I like the members section, and the amusing lack of Angelo Sasso. As he is allegedly dead, you'd think the one member that would actually have their own profile, perhaps even a rememberance section.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:51 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
If they get some decent distribution in North America, I'll end up buying it.

Or, you could not be an old man and just download it. He did link to the MP3 format after all.

Also yeah, upon a listen... not really doing it for me. But, I also could die happy after having Black Hand Inn, The Rivalry and The Brotherhood in my collection.

Xenonas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:33 am 

90 second samples of each track are out and so far they sound... ok. But don't take my word for it as I actually like Rogues en Vogue and even defended Shadowmaker at first (before sobering up):

http://www.musicload.de/preview.ml?albu ... 7.82084683

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:29 am 

Jens Börner of Lonewolf, who know a thing or two about what RW should sound like themselves, wrote up this personal review of the new album:

Spoiler: show
As I got the chance to have a copy already of the last album, here's my review to RUNNING WILD'S "Resilient, just for my fun and joy :) Please, understand that of course I make NO COPIES, NEITHER send mp3 files etc...

So, to say it immediatly, yes this album is mostly what we, the fans, want to hear!! And rolf sings in a fantastic way - I mean, he's always been a great singer, but here, sometimes when needed, he finds back to an agressivity like you can hear on "Masquerade" for example. Typical Running wild trademarks all through the album, true metal feeling all along, catchy choruses in nearly every song, great solos...

The album begins with "soldiers of fortune"...what a great opener!! it reminds me songs like "Agents of black" from the "rivalry" era. Up tempo, great chorus, great change of tune in the break-my fan heart beats immediatly much faster with this strong beginning!

The first time you discover this album, the second song, "resilient", has one problem: coming after such a great opener, you don't realise immediatly it's potential - at least so it was for me :) Less typically running wild oriented, more traditional mid tempo stuff. Here we go more in the "rogues en vogues"/"Shadowmaker" vein, it would have been among the best songs of those albums. It is played with great conviction, Rolf knows how to use "simple" riffs and to let them sound catchy. Should be a good live song I guess!

"Adventure highway": HELL YEAH!!! HIGHLIGHT!!! Speedy again, FANATASTIC pre-chorus (Ultra simple with great vocal line - this pre chorus could have been on "Under jolly roger"!!), great chorus....and cool leads and solos. In a whole, the solos are really great on this album.

"The Drift": HELL YEAH n°2!!!!!! HIGHLIGHT N°2!!!!!! Surely my fave on this album...Amazing track. It has got this pirate feeling, but also a dark and mystic athmosphere...I dare to say: this track would easily have its place on "Black hand inn"!!!!! - this should say all about the level of this song :)

"Desert rose" This song is to be showed as another example to all those who say that Running wild makes the same song since 30 years....Not typical Running wild, but it really works with rolf's unique touch. Musically, it reminds me a mix of Wasp's "Wild child" and "Silent killer" from "Victory". Could I say this is more comercial stuff?? In a way, as there is of course good comercial stuff, and Rolf really made a catchy song with kinda like "new" elements rooted in the legacy of traditional metal. His voice giving the typical Running wild trademark makes of this song a strong and interesting tune, with again, real cool chorus.

"Fireheart" - one song comes immediatly to mind by hearing this song: "Fistfull of dynamite" from "Pile of skulls". In the same vein, this is an "up-tempo rocker", where you really feel Rolf having fun singing. If you could critizise some choruses on "Shadowmaker", on "resilient" the choruses are great, mostly typical hymnic to sing along choruses, wich immediatly catch your ears and stay inside your head - the mark of a great album!!

We go on with "Run riot". Mid tempo where I personaly hear Rolf's love to traditional Judas Priest stuff, a really strong tune with, again, strong chorus.

"Down to the wire"...In my eyes, the only real weaker song on this album, even after at least 666 hearings in two days ;) I don't find the typical running wild stuff here, and the riffs don't really set my ears on fire...Rolfs singing saves this song, but for me it would have been a cool bonus track - this is only my humble opinion of course.

Immediatly things go better with "Crystal gold". How could I describe this song...on one side, it's more in the "rogues en vogues" style, but on the other it's this typical german riffing bands like Noisehunter or Tyrant gave us in the 80's, with the sound standard of today of course. I have fun listening to it, great job.

And we end (I don't have the bonus tracks) with "Bloody island". Clear "pirate" guitars with deep choirs make the intro...this kind of intro where you know the song will be great :) When electric guitar and drums set in, you go back to "Death or glory" times! And what vocal lines again....Around 10 minutes, this is a typical Running wild hymn with strong chorus, great breaks and solos...What a song to close this album!!!!!

So you understood...i really like this album, surely the best since years, and for me the best sound and production since "the rivalry". Hats off and horns up!! :)

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:31 am 

Heh. I'll believe this when I hear it for myself. It's also worth pointing out that "best album in years" and "best sound and production since The Rivalry" really don't mean much.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:10 pm 

The album is poor overall. It's better than Shadowmaker but that doesn't say much. The only good tracks are Soldiers of Fortune and Bloody Island. The rest is just bland hard rock with little-to-no hooks. I didn't really expect much anyway so I can't say I'm disappointed. Running Wild have been crap for years.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:57 pm 

I agree with you. The new album is ok but not great. Certainly better than the last one but that isn't saying a whole lot. SOngs like Resilient and Premonition are just dulll rocking songs.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm 

How would you compare Rogues En Vogue to this new shit? Think about it retroactively. Is it better in retrospect, or still bad?

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm 

I listened to it today....almost all the way through. I was surprised everything was fairly 'rocking'. I enjoyed it. Sounded like legit RW at the very least.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:15 pm 

This is the worst metal album of the year. A waste of time and material. The sound (these drums...) is even worse than on "Shadowmaker". The songs all sound the same: lifeless hard rock with no hooks. The more melodic and commercial "Desert Rose" is the only outstanding track on here and it's not much better than good average. "Bloody Island" is a silly and almost insulting way to beg pardon and try to copy the old classics to appease the old school fans. The worst track is "Fireheart" as its chorus is really annoying. I would give it 15%, not more. Even "Shadowmaker" was much better. Can't understand the positive reviews popping out everywhere. Probably just nostalgic old school fans who are happy that Rock'n Rolf wrote the same closed-minded songs all over again in ten different versions (all tracks minus "Desert Rose" and "Bloody Island"). Avoid it at all costs.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 pm 

kluseba wrote:
The sound (these drums...)

Let's not call 'em "drums", eh? I mean, I can set my 1992 casio on "heavy metal guitar" but that doesn't make it so, right?

SignOfTheCrosshair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:04 am 

kluseba wrote:
This is the worst metal album of the year. A waste of time and material. The sound (these drums...) is even worse than on "Shadowmaker". The songs all sound the same: lifeless hard rock with no hooks. The more melodic and commercial "Desert Rose" is the only outstanding track on here and it's not much better than good average. "Bloody Island" is a silly and almost insulting way to beg pardon and try to copy the old classics to appease the old school fans. The worst track is "Fireheart" as its chorus is really annoying. I would give it 15%, not more. Even "Shadowmaker" was much better. Can't understand the positive reviews popping out everywhere. Probably just nostalgic old school fans who are happy that Rock'n Rolf wrote the same closed-minded songs all over again in ten different versions (all tracks minus "Desert Rose" and "Bloody Island"). Avoid it at all costs.

"no hooks" haha... the songs are so catchy they get stuck in your head immediately.

Den gleichen Bockmist hier nochmal wiedergeben, wa?

kluseba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:15 pm 

@Crosshair: Same thing for you, huh? But thanks for trolling... If this albums helps you to feel young again and avoid midlife crisis, I'm happy for you. For me it belongs to the same category as the last Carcass or Manowar... old bands trying to cash in by copying themselves at the expense of the fans. I would rather go and buy the last Blazon Stone or watch a cover band as a Running Wild fan than buying this outcast. There are still a few old bands sounding like themselves without lacking energy like the last Black Sabbath which I find very consistent but they are exceptions.

SignOfTheCrosshair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 pm 

kluseba wrote:
@Crosshair: Same thing for you, huh? But thanks for trolling... If this albums helps you to feel young again and avoid midlife crisis, I'm happy for you.

I'm 27.

kluseba

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:10 pm 

That was irony ;-) It's always interesting to discuss with you^^ But... are you stalking me to post the same replies here as in the other forum?

SignOfTheCrosshair
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm 

kluseba wrote:
That was irony ;-) It's always interesting to discuss with you^^ But... are you stalking me to post the same replies here as in the other forum?

I noticed immediately from your passionate whining that it had to be you.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:26 am 

I gotta admit these songs are pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOXua0rHEqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUIAw2SKJI

They destroy the whole Shadowmaker album, not pure speed metal but atleast they're somewhat uptempo.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2