Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 pm 

I posted this in the H/P rec. thread, but figured it might warrant it's own topic:

WaywardSon wrote:
Granted, this may just be Google translator fucking it up and if we have a German speaker to clear it up, it would be appreciated but:
It looks like Harry Conklin is done with music according to this this interview.
Quote:
Daniel: Ihr habt in den letzten Jahren auch vereinzelte Reunion-Shows gespielt, z. B. 2002 auf dem Bang Your Head oder auch 2008 auf dem Keep It True. Sind Titan Force für Dich heute eine Art Gelegenheitsjob, oder plant ihr tatsächlich auch ein neues Studio-Album in absehbarer Zeit?

Harry: Ich habe meine musikalische Karriere beendet und auch bei Satan´s Host gerade das Handtuch geworfen. Die Plattenfirmen haben mich in letzter Zeit ganz schön hängen lassen. Ich bin jetzt 51 und will mir das nicht mehr antun. Ich sollte mich von dem ganzen Musikbusiness erholen, egal wie populär meine Bands auch gerade sind.

Google translate is translating it as:
Quote:
Daniel : You've played in the last few years, reunion shows, for example, at the 2002 Bang Your Head or 2008 at the Keep It True . ? Titan Force for you today are a kind of job opportunity , or do you plan to actually release a new studio album in the foreseeable future

Harry : I have finished my musical career and just thrown in the towel Satan's host . The record companies have let me down quite lately . I am now 51 and do not want to do that to me . I should recover from the whole music business , no matter how popular my bands are also straight.

If it's true/correct, it's a damn shame as he kind of vanished from 2004 - 2011. Wonder what we could have gotten out of him during those 7 years?

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:21 am 

Oh man, hope that's not true. Dude's in top form as a singer, and the newest Satan's Host material is quality stuff. Not cool.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:15 am 

Satan's Host has more evolving to do and I'm still holding out for one last Jag Panzer album. If this is true, then I am most disappointed.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:26 am 

yep, that's the gist of it. and google's a bit dud - here's a better translation (my own - not a native speaker but pretty fluent):

Harry: i've ended my music career and also thrown in the towel when it comes to satan's host. the record companies have left me high and dry lately. i'm now 51 and don't want this happening to me any more. i should/must take a break from the entire music business, regardless of how popular my bands are are the moment.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 am 

Sad if true, it remains to be seen if he's serious about it or if he was just blowing off steam. I'm not sure I can blame him either, the newest Satan's Host album has been recorded for MONTHS, but is apparently still awaiting a final mastering or something? It was supposed to come out last October but has been delayed again and again.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:14 am 

Shit, really hope he was just venting. He sounds better than ever and Satan's Host could have become even more glorious with time.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:13 am 

Damn, that sucks. Well, I'll at least see him at the final Jag Panzer gig. I was hoping for another Titan Force album, too. Come back, Tyrant! We miss you already!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:00 am 

What the fuck??? I honestly hope that this isn't real. Harry is one of my favourite singers and the new Satan's Host stuff fucking rocks.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:02 am 

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! His voice on By the Hands of the Devil is the best he's ever sounded and the band was just getting into something fresh and brilliant.

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:36 pm 

You mean to tell me that cult-band super singer Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin can't make a living singing for these underground and unknown metal bands any longer?

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:40 pm 

Exigence wrote:
You mean to tell me that cult-band super singer Harry "The Tyrant" Conklin can't make a living singing for these underground and unknown metal bands any longer?

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

I doubt this is the case as I doubt he ever could make a living from music. Jag Panzer were not a heavy touring band and did not release a sequence of popular albums. He is still an astounding singer but I doubt his work in Titan Force, Jag Panzer or Satan's Host brought him any type of big income.

I think Harry is just tired of the music scene. And seeing how Jag Panzer was dicked around by Century Media and it took forever to re-release their most popular material I can see why he wants to call it quits. That Satan's Host debut still has no proper CD edition and that album is an underground classic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm 

Exigence wrote:

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

Where did he say anything about making a living? He said the record companies let him down, which just means they probably fucked the band over in any number of other ways. Nowhere did it say anything about money or not being able to make a living so your douchey little sarcastic comment is just that...douchey.

If he retires, well, at least he has quite a number of good albums behind him in the past; not a bad legacy overall. The new Satan's Host seems to be stuck in limbo anyway. It's understandable if he's tired of that kind of shit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 pm 

Exigence wrote:

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

Exigence saying something stupid?

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:56 pm 

Just got hold of Scourge of the Light, and it's a damn solid album. Makes for a comparison with Pharoah's output I think. I'm sure Jag Panzer were one of Pharoah's influences.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:05 am 

that SUCKS, the tyrant was amazing on the newest satan's host.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:19 am 

ENKC wrote:
Just got hold of Scourge of the Light, and it's a damn solid album. Makes for a comparison with Pharoah's output I think. I'm sure Jag Panzer were one of Pharoah's influences.

I dunno, I think Pharaoh are way better, but Scourge of the Light is definitely good. That one and Casting the Stones are the only good ones after Ample Destruction. That unreleased album they did was also okay though.

RDS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:46 am 

This can't be true as Jag Panzer is confirmed to play at next years KIT festival.

/thread

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:02 am 

RDS wrote:
This can't be true as Jag Panzer is confirmed to play at next years KIT festival.

/thread

Why shouldn't it be true? Jag Panzer are officially broken up and yet, by all accounts, they will play this one-off show. Why shouldn't Conklin retire and just play that one show that he and his bandmates already comitted themselves to? Makes perfect sense to me.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:18 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

Exigence saying something stupid?

Surely, you jest?

SURELY.

Where's the banhammer at? Trolling isn't tolerated last I knew (I'd know).
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:03 pm 

From the Satan's Host camp:

Quote:
Well it looks like the interview that Harry did for crossfire-Metal.de was taken out of context or lost in translation. Harry is not leaving Satan's Host! NOT LEAVING!!! In fact we are gearing up Grand Junction next weekend, writing new material for the next album after Virgin Sails, and also we will have big news on Virgin Sails here pretty quick!!!! SATAN'S HOST IS STRONG AND READY TO BRING MORE METAL TO THE MASSES!!!! HAIL THE S.H. LEGIONS!!! 666!

They're working on a new album before the new album is even released. The Tyrant is here to stay.

Obligatory Last FM Link

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:07 pm 

*collective sigh of relief*

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:42 pm 

Harry Conklin: too legit to quit.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:45 pm 

Our prayers to the Dark One have been answered!

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:02 pm 

fuck yes!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:34 am 

A relief indeed, though I had barely got used to the idea that he was indeed back and creating music.

This made my day, at any rate. ;)

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:35 am 

Only just saw this. Thank Satan.

Reply to topic