Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metalmaniac4421
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:23 pm 

Can anyone think of any 90's doom bands in the vein of Kyuss or Sleep? Something great that might have slipped through the cracks and been forgotten?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 am 

Anyone else here digging Mansion? It's sort of like a mix of Jex Thoth and Jess and the Ancient Ones, in my opinion. "We Shall Live" is a really strong first release and I ordered it today. Not many left now. I bet Svart Records picks this band up.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:05 pm 

Metalmaniac4421 wrote:
Can anyone think of any 90's doom bands in the vein of Kyuss or Sleep? Something great that might have slipped through the cracks and been forgotten?

Well those bands sound absolutely nothing alike, apart from the fact that they belong to the stoner genre. If you wanted some good stoner bands then try these out:-

Datura - Visions for the Celestial
Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom
Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics...
Spirit Caravan - Jug Fulla Sun
Blood Farmers - Blood Farmers
The Obsessed - Lunar Womb

If you remove the '90s' criterion I could name a few more.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm 

Doomsday wrote:
Anyone else here digging Mansion? It's sort of like a mix of Jex Thoth and Jess and the Ancient Ones, in my opinion. "We Shall Live" is a really strong first release and I ordered it today. Not many left now. I bet Svart Records picks this band up.

Listening to em right now, really good stuff. Kind of reminds me of Dead Temple, who released 3 songs released earlier this year, albeit they are mmore metal centric

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:06 pm 

Doomsday wrote:

I really fucking liked this band, thanks for the recommendation (as usual). It's now on my "to review" list!

I got the new Beelzefuzz today, really worth it if you guys like doom with psych and rock elements.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I got the new Beelzefuzz today, really worth it if you guys like doom with psych and rock elements.

Yeah, check this band out if you enjoy Uncle Acid.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Yeah, good fun album.. New Windhand is good too.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:01 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
iamntbatman: Thanks, very good first impressions. The guitar tone is quite heavy indeed!

Cool, I figured you'd like 'em. The guitar tone is totally huge (that YouTube video doesn't do it justice, of course) but they definitely have a more occult feel than something that's colder and more industrial-sounding like KYPCK.

Yeah, that's exactly the vibe I had in mind. :)

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:58 am 

Doomsday wrote:

Yeah its a really compelling EP. Sounds most like Jex's work in Sabbath Assembly in that it's smooth and genuinely creepy-Cultish. Havn't bought it though because shipping doubles the price for me and theres no digital option.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 am 

LordTool wrote:
Yeah its a really compelling EP. Sounds most like Jex's work in Sabbath Assembly in that it's smooth and genuinely creepy-Cultish. Havn't bought it though because shipping doubles the price for me and theres no digital option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you buy the tracks separately on Bandcamp for €1 a piece? If you click on the "download" links hidden next to every track title. If you want a digital release, that is.

LordTool
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:19 am 

Oh look at that it is too. Dont kno why there isnt a downlod option for the EP as a whole then...

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 pm 

Is there an album as good as Agalloch's the Mantle in the same vein?

I'm sorry if this isn't the correct thread, it seemed so.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:12 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Not really but check out Gallowbraid or Falloch, I guess. Since Agalloch is a well known band, you can check the "similar artitsts" tab on their page.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 pm 

Aydross wrote:

Does Agalloch really sound like doom or stoner metal to you? :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:22 pm 

Well, MA includes the "doom" tag on their page, to be honest it's a pretty hard band to classify but I wouldn't include the tag myself.

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:22 pm 

Aydross wrote:

You could give The Flight of Sleipnir a shot. Their folk elements remind of Agalloch and they have actual doom metal riffs.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:49 pm 

I make this request every now and again, just in case anything new has come to light, so apologies if you've seen it before: Is there anything that could be considered a tribute or worship of Cathedral's "Forest of Equilbrium"? Over the years I have found many things that have some FoE influence, but nothing like a full-on worship. Even an obscure demo would do.

Something that straddles the divide between trad doom and doom/death, with dark bendy riffs and those twisted Trouble harmonies. Slow tempos, but with dynamic drumming that keeps things interesting beyond the usual "bash bash crash" that most modern doom relies on.

Some bands that have some elements of the FoE sound: Thy Grief Eternal, Godsend ("Starfall" demo), The Bleeding, Sevenchurch (demo). Some of the newer bands like Pilgrim, Fall of the Idols, The Doomsday Cult, The Wounded Kings also have their moments.

Reverends, Wizards, Midgets and Vicars need not apply.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:17 pm 

Not that much FoE but give Black Magician a try, their new EP as well (contact me if you can't find it).

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:31 pm 

^ Maybe Church of Misery? The one from the United States. At least the full-length "straddles the divide", in my opinion, but overall the band might fall into the some category. You decide.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:25 am 

Woah, based on a brief listen before rushing out to work this morning, Black Magician sounds very promising (so much so, I was tempted to be late so I could investigate further). It'll be filtering down my broadband as soon as I finish this afternoon.

Sorry, meant to include Church of Misery in my post (hurriedly composed before bed last night); my rip of "Sorrows of the Moon" was probably the first to hit the net. Thanks though, they are a good example of the sort of thing I'm looking for, if a little primitive. Eve of Mourning (the Illinois band) are another US band I forgot to mention.

I'm also aware of Warhorse and Cold Mourning, before anyone brings them up. Don't like either of them.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:29 am 

Metalmaniac4421 wrote:

Kyuss (now Vista Chino, btw)

Fu Manchu
Monster Magnet
Queens of the Stone Age
Brant Bjork
Dozer
Acid King

Sleep (I always find its hard to make recommendations for this band)

Church of Misery
Bongzilla
Electric Wizard
Weedeater
High on Fire

cant really think of anything unknown off the top of my head, but ill get back to the list if I do.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:10 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Not that much FoE but give Black Magician a try, their new EP as well (contact me if you can't find it).

Black Magician I am enjoying immensely, especially the album. It does have a lot of the atmosphere I'm looking for, especially that evocative "English countryside" feel. They do however suffer from that "bash bash crash" syndrome I mentioned before, which is something that spoils most modern doom for me. All in all though, one of the best doom albums I've heard in recent years. Thanks, Metantoine!

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:39 am 

Any one know of any doom bands with vocals that are similar to Pallbearer's.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:57 pm 

^Warning and 40 Watt Sun, but I don't like them.

For stuff that sounds like Kyuss, check out Sigiriya's album. Great stuff.

brchina
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:07 am 

Hello. Can anyone recommend me a band like this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viNT9p0p1eE
Thanks!

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:44 pm 

I need stoner metal bands that don't sing about drugs/weeds/marijuana. Are there stoner metal bands with other lyrical themes? I'd prefer stoner/sludge or stoner/doom instead of just stoner metal

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:07 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:
I need stoner metal bands that don't sing about drugs/weeds/marijuana. Are there stoner metal bands with other lyrical themes? I'd prefer stoner/sludge or stoner/doom instead of just stoner metal

The answer is of course, there are bands which go beyond those themes. You can start off by listening to Abdullah, slightly fast paced than your average stoner/doom band but killer nonetheless.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Abdullah/1898

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:36 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Check out Cough, Black Pyramid, The Gates of Slumber, Acid Bath, Church of Misery, Wall of Sleep, Egypt, Elder, Blood Ceremony

Oldschool doom Bands; Trouble, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Lord Vicar, Cathedral, The Reverend Bizzare, Count Raven, Pagan Altar

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:29 pm 

While Acid Bath did have a few songs rooted in stoner metal, they are by no means a stoner metal band and did have some lyrics about drugs.

Black Pyramid is spot on, though. Check out their first album.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Check out Cough, Black Pyramid, The Gates of Slumber, Acid Bath, Church of Misery, Wall of Sleep, Egypt, Elder, Blood Ceremony

Oldschool doom Bands; Trouble, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Lord Vicar, Cathedral, The :roll: Reverend Bizzare, Count Raven, Pagan Altar

He asked for stoner metal, not trad doom. Most of these are trad! Orange Goblin isn't that MUCH about drugs if you don't know them.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 pm 

He asked for stoner/sludge or stoner/doom not stoner, and i wrote oldschool doom metal, to signify that they are traditional doom metal bands.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:10 am 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Orange Goblin as Metantoine mentioned. They write songs about getting doped and stuff but they've other contents like space travel (most frequent theme), personal struggles and abstract mythological themes. Apart from them you could check out Nebula (space travel oriented songwriting) and Dozer (space travel and conceptual fictions with a bit of depressive feel). Seventh Void (ex Type O axeman Kenny Hickey's new band) is pretty solid as well. They have retained this gothic darkness of Type O Negative and fused it with the dynamics of Alice in Chains and Soundgarden.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

u_sir_r_a_faggot wrote:

Give Stone Titan a try. Killer band.
http://stonetitan.bandcamp.com/album/scratch-n-sniff
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm 

Does anyone happen to know any sludge metal bands that have a very bass-y, cavernous, loud production and sound and/or sludge bands with satanic themes?

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am 

Just started playing the band Hands of Orlac. I love the old school sound. Anyone familiar with them or know anything similar?
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 pm 

Love Acid Bath, also like Orange Goblin and very familiar with Black Pyramid. While I like Blood Ceremony I'm not really looking for that kinda stuff. Looking forward to more recs

nephesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:13 pm 

naverhtrad wrote:
Could you recommend me some doom-rock, psychedelic fuzz-rock or '70's retrock with progressive song structures, deep lyrics, and perhaps some indirect social commentary or geeky historical or philosophical references? Something like OGRE (whose albums I already have) or Count Raven is what I'm sort of angling after here.

Just listen to Rush's 2112, honestly.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Does anyone happen to know any sludge metal bands that have a very bass-y, cavernous, loud production and sound and/or sludge bands with satanic themes?

Well you could check out Shrum - two bassists and no guitar!

I too would like to hear more like Count Raven, metal needs more political doom.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:18 pm 

Hi there, friends!

Anyone have recommendations for a band that is similar to the amazing 13? I wish they had come out with a full album. They have one of the most unique and heavy sounds for a sludge band, especially considering they were releasing material in the early/mid 90s. Electric Wizard's sound wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for 13!!! Go Liz! :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

The Gates of Slumber broke up :( RIP. Jason McCash has a lot of stuff written, can't wait to see what he'll do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 133  Next