Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:42 pm 

Piss poor photograph, but wanted to share it anyway. Those black specs are seals. The beach continues to the right for about 5 times the length of what you see in the picture, the whole thing covered in seals. I'd never seen one besides in zoos etc. so it was a nice surprise.

Also:

Spoiler: show

Fucker disappeared out of sight right after I took the shot.

:ugh:

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:50 pm 

I found exactly the same kind of spider (and the same size) on my curtains two weeks ago. It scared the ever living shit out of me, but I manged to obliterate it using my trusty swatter before it was able to creep away. *flexes*

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm 

Not to be an annoying hippie or anything, but does anyone here bother to get spiders, bees and other assorted critters out of their houses through peaceful means rather than killing them?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:27 pm 

There was some discussion about that a couple pages back.

I'm quite discriminate with this. There's a little spider I've been watching build a rather impressive web and I started feeling sorry for it because despite its effort, it doesn't look like an ideal place to catch prey and it will likely perish through starvation. I don't even want to disturb it though, let alone squash it into goo.

On the other hand, I've lost count of how many craneflies I've destroyed in the past two weeks. They're just annoying, flapping about all over the place and pissing me off. I take one out and another two takes its place. To hell with them.

Same goes with big spiders, if I see one out in the woods, yeah, that's a cool looking creature, moving on. If I feel something brushing against my arm when I'm in bed and it turns out to be an abomination like the one I posted above, it can consider itself fucked.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:55 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Not to be an annoying hippie or anything, but does anyone here bother to get spiders, bees and other assorted critters out of their houses through peaceful means rather than killing them?

It depends on what kind of critter it is. Wasps can go suck it, they die. Bees on the other hand I always try to release back into the wild. They are not as aggressive as wasps, and their species isn't doing that good to begin with. Most of the time I leave spiders alone, as they eat mosquitoes, my mortal enemy. The spider in question was a monstrous individual, and I didn't feel like coming anywhere near it with my hands. This combined with the late hour (around 3 in the night) prompted me to kill it.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:

Yes. I would only kill large blowflies and mosquitoes but cleaning up insect corpses disgusts me, so I just usher them out of the window.

Spiders are awesome. I never even considered killing them.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:

Fucker disappeared out of sight right after I took the shot.

:ugh:

If I had found that I would've been using the bottom of my shoe as a reference for how big it WAS. No fucking way my hand would ever get that close unless I'm squashing it. As far as killing bugs and what not goes the only things I'll intentionally kill are spiders (unless it's becoming a real problem like ants or something) all other manner of creatures I try and usher out while they're still alive.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:06 pm 

Spiders and anything interesting or photogenic get the old glass/beermat/window routine.

Flying creatures are encouraged to visit my industrial grade zapper. Those that are uninterested in said zapper are hunted enthusiastically. It's very satisfying to knock an airborne insect out of the sky with a CD jewel case, taking note where it fell. Now dead or stunned, It can be wrapped in a bit of scrap paper at my leisure, then squashed underfoot and disposed of neatly and hygienically.

Points are earned for form, elegance, and efficiency. Bonus points are awarded based on insect attributes: Size, speed, intelligence and threat level.

DreamOfDarkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:18 pm 

Luckily I rarely see spiders or other nasty things here. Probably the only insects I frequently encounter in my room are small houseflies, moths, mosquitos, wasps and crane flies. Well, having a wasp flying around your head while in an online match is somewhat annoying, though.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:47 am 

Usually I terminate with extreme prejudice, unless it's a whopper that will make a mess then I'll try to 'contain' the 'mess'
Outside is for them, inside is for us, they know this.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:41 am 

They do? Seems a bit far fetched.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:45 am 

They should.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 pm 

Quote:
Now that my friend is a clear cut case of him or me. And you best believe it ain't gonna be me.
-- Ordell Robbie :nods:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 pm 

I get these in my house all the time, would try to kill them but fuckers are FAST.

Edit: Noticed it was already mentioned, oh well.

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:42 pm 

A prime example of a creature which would receive no candy from me, nooo candy.

:snipe:

hots_towel wrote:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:33 pm 

I forgot to mention about the house centipedes. I have a buddy who lived in a house that had a lot of them. He woke up in the middle of the night one night to one of them crawling in his mouth. Dwell on that for a minute.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:35 pm 

I have these too. And yes, I HATE you even more now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:51 pm 

I've been seeing those in the office a lot recently. Never really encountered them much before this year. They're harmless; I kill them.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 pm 

Always wondered what those things were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6fgUsqHNzA

hots_towel wrote:

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:58 am 

Diamhea wrote:
I forgot to mention about the house centipedes. I have a buddy who lived in a house that had a lot of them. He woke up in the middle of the night one night to one of them crawling in his mouth. Dwell on that for a minute.

My ex-missus had a similar experience: she woke up one morning with a bitter taste in her mouth and half an earwig on the pillow next to her...

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:17 pm 

That reminds me of an old joke:

"Hey man, what's worse than finding a worm in your apple?"

"Don't know, man. What could be worse than that?"

"Finding half a worm in your apple!"

In all seriousness though; most people end up eating bugs of some kind during their sleep at least once in their lifetime. The majority simply doesn't find out.

Sleep tight :-D

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:38 am 

Sorry man, as far as I know, that's a myth. Some scientists a few decades ago assumed this because they found most people had parts of insects in their mouth and digestive systems, and they couldn't figure out why. Turns out you don't eat them in your sleep, you eat insects while wide awake in your food, since most food has all kinds of unpalatable shit in it one of which is insect paste. The FDA and its international equivalents only check to see if food and/or drugs will kill you or give you any health problems, and companies only have to prove that the disgusting stuff found within their product does not pose a health risk. So yeah.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:01 am 

One of the reasons I buy organic. Not because there aren't insect parts in it but because there you expect them anyway.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:10 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Sorry man, as far as I know, that's a myth. Some scientists a few decades ago assumed this because they found most people had parts of insects in their mouth and digestive systems, and they couldn't figure out why. Turns out you don't eat them in your sleep, you eat insects while wide awake in your food, since most food has all kinds of unpalatable shit in it one of which is insect paste. The FDA and its international equivalents only check to see if food and/or drugs will kill you or give you any health problems, and companies only have to prove that the disgusting stuff found within their product does not pose a health risk. So yeah.

Really? Uh. I heard about what you said though, and yeah, I know for a fact that it's true.

Thanks for killing the scare factor of my previous post though :annoyed:

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 am 

Diamhea wrote:

How about drinking an entire coffee and then feeling something weird under your tongue on that last gulp only to remove it and see that it is in fact a fair size dead house centipede. Happened to my moms husband only two days ago :lol: makes him sick each time he tells the story. Your story wins simply because it was alive :ugh:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:54 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
Really? Uh. I heard about what you said though, and yeah, I know for a fact that it's true.

Thanks for killing the scare factor of my previous post though :annoyed:

Sorry, my "in-on-the-joke-o-meter" must be malfunctioning.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:23 pm 

lurkist wrote:
Spiders and anything interesting or photogenic get the old glass/beermat/window routine.

Flying creatures are encouraged to visit my industrial grade zapper. Those that are uninterested in said zapper are hunted enthusiastically. It's very satisfying to knock an airborne insect out of the sky with a CD jewel case, taking note where it fell. Now dead or stunned, It can be wrapped in a bit of scrap paper at my leisure, then squashed underfoot and disposed of neatly and hygienically.

Points are earned for form, elegance, and efficiency. Bonus points are awarded based on insect attributes: Size, speed, intelligence and threat level.

Hahahaha I am just imaging someone browsing on the computer when all of the sudden they hear a flying insect...time slows down...they immediately jump up find the closest cd case they can find and throw it at the bug, killing it.

lurkist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:13 am 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
lurkist wrote:

Hahahaha I am just imaging someone browsing on the computer when all of the sudden they hear a flying insect...time slows down...they immediately jump up find the closest cd case they can find and throw it at the bug, killing it.

Well, the CD case is held in a kind of table-tennis paddle style, not thrown of course - but yeah there's a Matrix / ninja quality to my efforts!

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:06 pm 

I remember the creepiest thing I ever encountered was a suzumebachi, or Asian giant hornet, back in Japan. Those things are about as big as my pinky finger, with a wingspan like a moth and legs like a crane fly.
One of the most dangerous species of wasp, and kill many people every year due to their aggressive nature. They spit acid, will chase you for up to a mile, and their stings feel like being stabbed with a hot nail.

Still not as painful as a tarantula hawk though. Those things are massive, and I heard that if you get stung, you can't do much but scream for about an hour....
They're pretty docile though. You can let them crawl all over you without being stung. They only sting you if you try to grab them.

My friend had to deal with camel spiders/sun spiders a lot in Afghanistan. They're also pretty aggressive, being the fastest running arthropods on earth, and when they bite you, they try to take a piece of you with them. They recently discovered a new species in India that's venomous.

Other species I wouldn't even like anywhere near me: Atlas moths and whip scorpions.
Not dangerous, but give me the shivers just thinking about them.......

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 pm 

Got three new pets. This time I got Horse Lubber grasshoppers.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:28 pm 

That's great, Goatfangs. I hope you let them go outside. They really are precious creatures. God dammit, I'm getting mushy over insects. T_T

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:17 pm 

They are pets - I'm keeping them, not letting them outside. Doubt they would survive the winter, and if they would this is far outside their native range.

I found out a few things about them while playing with them. They can get agitated - when they do, they hiss and spray a coffee-smelling substance from their spiracles while flashing their crimson hind-wings.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Diligent Son
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:15 pm 

I work in the wilderness and come across animals pretty regularly. A couple of highlights:

(Atikokan, Ontario)

(Nunavik, Quebec)

(Chibougamau, Quebec)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:17 pm 

Wow, this Lynx is magnificent! I want one!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 pm 

Do you want to have a face? :-P

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 pm 

Yet more new pets... this time Brachystola magna. These are the Plains Lubber grasshoppers that live all around the south-west and central United States. They come in a variety of colors, with some being a really pretty emerald green.

The ones I have are brownish/tan with pink and blue features.

The first two images are of the male, while the third is of the larger female. I have a second female as well - originally was supposed to get 4, but one died in transit.

They are very gentle, somewhat clumsy and quite friendly. The male hops sometimes, but he is content to sit on my hand while I type. He also makes a soft chirping sound with his tiny red wings. I haven't thought of names for them.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:59 pm 

Phoenix Down

Anymore tales of animal encounters? Gutted to see this thread dead for nearly a year. Hope it's alright to revive it.

I've recently moved to the outskirts of a small town. The back of the house looks out onto some woods, which are right behind my very small garden, so obviously I get a bit of nature appearing at my door now and then. Mainly rabbits, squirrels, buzzards and more bugs per square meter than I've seen in my life. Not kidding about the bugs. Beetles, millipedes, centipedes and of course hundreds of spiders, which I've come to appreciate having around because of the flying bitey bastards that would otherwise be in much greater numbers if it weren't for them.

Just the other night, I was standing outside my door having a smoke, watching a cranefly trapped in a web. There is a seriously large society of spiders right outside my door, every direction you look you see multiple spiders of all different sizes. The outdoor light which is attached to the wall has a bit of a gap behind the fixture, where a few of the spiders reside. The cranefly was caught in one of their webs and I saw a spider not even half its size appear from the gap and start making a meal of it. I'd never really seen the process before, especially with such large prey, so I found it interesting.

Went out for another smoke later that night, the cranefly was completely dismantled. Just as I was checking it out, a large white moth flew over from the woods and I had to step out of the way to avoid it flying straight into my face. It landed about a foot to the right of of the light on the wall. Immediately, another spider emerged from the gap, sprinted over to it and started dragging it back to its home. Into the darkness the moth disappeared, the ultimate price to pay for disturbing my goddamn peace. These spiders don't seem to fuck around.

Talking of disturbing the peace of others, I was exploring the woods a couple of weeks ago and decided to venture off the path. Found a little route that looked promising so I decided to explore. Started walking through it, until I turned left after some bushes and there was this big ass buzzard about two meters away from me with a very "The fuck you doing in my neck o' the woods?!" look on its face. It was standing pretty tall and seemed to be opening its wings a little to look bigger, and started to open its beak. Wasn't expecting this encounter at all, so I quietly said "Oh shit..." and turned back very quickly. Keep in mind, prior to this, I'd only ever seen birds of prey flying high over fields and they were rare occasions. It spooked me out a bit. :p I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up later.

Surely those of you who live in countries with more interesting wildlife have some more stories to share?

hots_towel wrote:

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:04 pm 

There are Buzzards in Scotland?!
Spring is here so we'll be getting weird stuff all over the place soon :roll:

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:17 pm 

Sure are. Like I said, I only ever knew them as "those birds of prey you sometimes see out in the country" but these woods seem to be home to quite a few of them.

Decided to have a walk through the woods in the dark just last week and I could hear their wings spreading and taking off about every thirty seconds right above my head. I couldn't decide if it was the same one following me or there was a bunch of them, but I do regularly see two or three of them at a time just hovering above the trees. Obviously, that night I couldn't see them because it was dark, but they definitely weren't just some other more common bird, like crows or pigeons, because the sound of their wings is drastically more intense.

hots_towel wrote:

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 pm 

About a year ago, I was going to unlock my door, when my dog wouldn't come to me and started whimpering. I then looked down and noticed a three-foot snake sleeping alongside my door. My grandfather realized it was sleeping and managed to beat it to death with a log by the splitter.

The story to getting my dog in the first place was rather interesting. My neighbor knew a guy who had a wolf/shepherd mix that had just had a litter. The mother was more wolf than shepherd in appearance and solid white. I'm not a tall person, about 5'9, but she put her paws on my shoulders and looked down at me. She had her mouth opened, and my first thought was, "So this is how I die." I realized she was just excited and happy a moment later, but it was scary for a bit there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6