Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:19 am 

How was it done? I mean was it in e-standard? I can't figure out many of the riffs on this album they seem like theyre from another realm. Anyone know any accurate tabs for any songs on the first lp?

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:06 pm 

i'm not entirely sure about the tuning, it might be a half step down. the album's production is cool. the drums were done with a 2 piece set. just a ride cymbal, snare, and bass drum. they ovedubbed the doublebass parts (there are only 2 on the album) they didnt have a double pedal, so they took the bass drum off and placed it on a box, and wrapped drumsticks with wash clothes to simulate the sound of beaters. and played it like that. the guitars were all done with a little 20 watt yamaha solid state amp

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:29 am 

What riffs are you having difficulty with?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

~Guest 227866
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:29 pm 

I can play the riffs no problem, it just doesn't sound quite right with all the tabs out there, and I can't figure it out by myself

specifically
'Hades'
'Sacrifice (especially the hammer-on pulloff part)
and Necromansy

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm 

In that case, it's probably just the double tracked guitars. Especially if they are played in a somewhat sloppy manner, the two tracks create an out-of-sync effect that you can't replicate when just playing guitar by yourself. Especially noticeable with the hammer-ons/pull-offs, actually.

EDIT: Or do you actually mean you don't really know if you're even playing the right notes?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:05 am 

Haha, you actually think they tuned to E in 440? I suggest that you just try to tune after the record.

murdermass1994
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:31 am 

I think that Necromansy was in Eb

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:15 am 

All of those songs sound like they're played in Eb tuning, if that helps at all. I might have a shot that transcribing one or two of the songs in a day or two if you want. I'm too sleep deprived to be bothered at the moment.

p4vl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:03 pm 

A lot of early death/black/thrash bands tuned a quarter step down, just to add some weight to the sound. If you have a digital tuner, change a=440hz to somewhere between a=425-430.

I think Morbid Tales is a little lower than standard, too. Megadeth's first 2 albums are a quarter step down and all Pantera albums are a quarter step down, even the stuff in D and C#.

On the other hand, a few early 90's scandinavian black metal albums are tuned up to F or somewhere around F. ImpNaz's Ugra Karma, Immortal's Pure Holocaust and Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are either sped up or tuned up.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:33 pm 

Morbid Tales is in Eb if I'm not mistaken.

Megadeth's first 2 albums were a quarter step down because Mustaine said he was a little insecure about people learning his songs/ideas and stealing them. Wacky, but after Kill Em All, who can blame him :P

Oh here's an idea. Try listening to other bands covering songs from that album. The compilation "In Conspiracy With Satan', that's when I actually heard most of the Bathory songs for what they were, and went 'oh so that's how it goes'.

KFD
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm 

p4vl wrote:
On the other hand, a few early 90's scandinavian black metal albums are tuned up to F or somewhere around F. ImpNaz's Ugra Karma, Immortal's Pure Holocaust and Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss are either sped up or tuned up.

Interesting.
Speeding up might make sense for Ugra Karma and Pure Holocaust, which are fast albums, but for Hvis Lyset Tar Oss?!
Anyway I had never noticed this detail.

Reply to topic