Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 am 

^Texhnolyze. Slower paced and not as vulgar, but miles more nihilistic than Gantz and still brutal. And if you don't mind a manga recommendation, Blame!

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:13 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
hey wrote:
So there's supposedly going to be a live-action Attack on Titan movie... :ugh:

They've done live actions of animes already that didn't turn out to be trash as far as my memory holds up. I recall the Death Note and GTO live-actions to be at least decent, though I haven't seen them myself to really know firsthand. Prefer the anime version for something like AoT, though.

I don't see how this would turn out to be anything but horrible.

Just got up to date with Berserk. I really hope the author gets his shit together soon and finishes his work!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:23 pm 

He is too busy playing Idolmaster.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm 

Shingeki no Kyojin is going slower than a river of shit, both anime and manga.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:22 pm 

Fuck Idolmaster. Fuck everything in the way of Berserk's progress.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 pm 

Finished season 2 of Chihayafuru. Fantastic series, and an easy contender for best series of 2012 and/or 2013.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Frankly unless it's super weird or original (G and Turn A), I think most of the AU Gundam's are pretty terrible or just insanely forgettable. UC is the Master Race and thankfully Unicorn delivers and washes away the stench that surrounds a lot of modern Gundam for me.

I think that Gundam X is criminially underrated. It's not the writers fault that their show suddenly was cancelled.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:23 am 

Watching Bakuman and I love this. Season 2 kills season 1. I can't stop watching this.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:10 am 

Gelal wrote:
VoidApostle wrote:
I really, really appreciate the input, but I'm already 5 episodes into Brotherhood. :oh shit:

You made the right choice. Also, if you think episode 4 is tragic... Brace for impact. You ain't seen a damn thing yet.

bj_waters wrote:
Doo-hohohohohohohohoho. You've only just begun!

So having finished the phenomenal FMA:B, I have to say the incident in ep. 4 still stands out as being the most heartbreaking thing in the show. It even haunts Ed and Al throughout the series and in the last episode the reason they continue studying alchemy is partly because they regret not being able to save her.

Also, I think Major Armstrong has to be one of the greatest anime characters of all time. He's an inspiration. :lol:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:20 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Also, I think Major Armstrong has to be one of the greatest anime characters of all time. He's an inspiration. :lol:

The inspirational demeanor of the Armstrong family has been passed down for generations!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:08 am 

More of a videogame thing, but does anyone knows when the JoJo All Star Battle for the ps3 will hit the west? It's looking pretty good.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:35 am 

My Chihayafuru review is now up. You should be watching it.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 am 

I just finished watching Inuyasha, including the Final Act. I liked the original show, and feel that TFA kinda ruined some stuff, but overall was good. Now I just have to find something to fill the void that was left after watching the series for over a month.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:30 am 

bodomlord wrote:
I just finished watching Inuyasha, including the Final Act. I liked the original show, and feel that TFA kinda ruined some stuff, but overall was good. Now I just have to find something to fill the void that was left after watching the series for over a month.

Are you sure that void isn't the result of the shame that comes with watching Inuyasha in its entirety? :V

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 am 

^ That's a possibility, but after a good two hour walk and some Belphegor the empty void has been filled.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:07 pm 

I watched about a dozen Inuyasha eps, but I always felt disheartened that there was about more 7500 eps until the series ended so I said fuck it and dropped the series.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:14 pm 

Marag wrote:
I watched about a dozen Inuyasha eps, but I always felt disheartened that there was about more 7500 eps until the series ended so I said fuck it and dropped the series.

I have to admit I find this kind of funny. The original series had 167 and the new series has 26, which puts it at 193 overall. However, it is complete dwarfed by Case Closed/Detective Cona's 708, One Piece's 610, Naruto's 545 (220 + 325), and Dragon Ball's 504 (153 + 291 + 64) {let alone Sazae-san's 6917!}. (For an ordered list of series by episode count, you check this Wikipedia page out.)

However, I'm not trying to get down on Marag over a bunch of numbers, because, as I'm sure we all know, some of these series are arguably much better than InuYasha and therefore much easier to binge watch. I reckon that InuYasha feels 10 times longer than it actually is, so I don't blame you for giving up on it. I actually lasted for 81 episodes before dropping it, thinking I should have done so much sooner. (I did finish the manga, but you're aren't missing anything; I think InuYasha is the first manga I've experienced that had gratuitous filler in it.) I'm certain you've watched much better series in the time you would have wasted by watching InuYasha to the end.

At least, that's my two cents.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:24 pm 

Your reasoning aside, I don't do well with huge series like that when it comes to anime, I wouldn't stand watching any of these series until the end the only exception being Dragonball because it aired on tv, I was younger and things were different back then, and that was largely the reason I've never bothered watching the Bleach anime despite reading a good 450 volumes of the manga(fuck Bleach, by the way).
Maybe something more episodic, like Shin-chan, I could stand, but these shounen series with 200+ eps? Fuck no.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:10 pm 

Yeah, i definitely have watched better animes than Inuyasha. I just had to watch it to the end, because as a child I would watch it on Adult Swim, but I never saw how it ended. And so i had to finish it. And Inuyasha was definitely full of filler, which is why I don't really like watching long animes either. Fuck Bleach and Naruto, I'm just gonna mainly stick to animes under 50 episodes, which isn't too bad a length.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 pm 

bj_waters wrote:

Holy balls, that's insane! I've never even heard of that!
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lemmuhr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:26 pm 

I just finished watching Darker than Black and am completely dumbfounded by the ending. I feel like there are so many plotholes and nothing was explained. In all honestly it's very frustrating.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 pm 

lemmuhr wrote:
I just finished watching Darker than Black and am completely dumbfounded by the ending. I feel like there are so many plotholes and nothing was explained. In all honestly it's very frustrating.

With the exception of Berserk, a bad ending will make even the best anime unwatchable. I mean, the fuck's the point?

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 pm 

I love DtB but fuck that Gainax ending it has.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 pm 

lemmuhr wrote:

Welcome to the club.
Marag wrote:

I love DtB, as well, but the ending just leaves me :| .

Completed Bakuman entirely - love the shit out of it. Awesome 10 year journey for two gamblers in middle school to the top of the manga world.

Gundam 00 - just finished the end of Season 1. :cry: is all I've got. :cry:

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
... {let alone Sazae-san's 6917!}.

Holy balls, that's insane! I've never even heard of that!

Well, when you do a new 6-minute episode, five days a week, for thirty some-odd years, it adds up. As I understand, it's also pretty safe in terms of content. Imagine of I Love Lucy or Leave It To Beaver was still going, but the cast never aged. Basically, a G-Rated, warm'n'fuzzy Simpsons.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:26 pm 

Saw the third Berserk Golden Age movie today, and it was actually pretty good this time! Good atmosphere, the characters are finally given some humanity, and the 2-D animation actually looks good (although the 3-D animation is still atrocious)! It gives the Eclipse the right amount of darkness and brutality it deserves, and that's the thing I was most worried about.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:58 pm 

I just finished watching Fate/Zero. The first season, that is. I didn't remembered it had two seasons, so after I finished ep 10 I was thinking the whole time: "just how the fuck are they gonna wrap up all this shit in just three more episodes". Well I got my answer. I'm liking it so far but it's too early to post my thoughts about it, except that damn this anime is pretty. Nothing revolutionary or spetacular but it has some very pristine visuals.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
lemmuhr wrote:

Welcome to the club.
Marag wrote:

I love DtB, as well, but the ending just leaves me :| .

Completed Bakuman entirely - love the shit out of it. Awesome 10 year journey for two gamblers in middle school to the top of the manga world.

Gundam 00 - just finished the end of Season 1. :cry: is all I've got. :cry:

I couldn't stand Gundam00. None of the mech battles had any tension to them, since for the most part it was just gundams curb stomping the opposing side. The main characters displayed no depth to me.

bodomlord wrote:
Yeah, i definitely have watched better animes than Inuyasha. I just had to watch it to the end, because as a child I would watch it on Adult Swim, but I never saw how it ended. And so i had to finish it. And Inuyasha was definitely full of filler, which is why I don't really like watching long animes either. Fuck Bleach and Naruto, I'm just gonna mainly stick to animes under 50 episodes, which isn't too bad a length.

Monster and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are pretty much flawless though.

bodomlord wrote:

I had a lot of problems with inuyasha, it had potention to be a great series, but got dragged down by towns of filler like the band of seven nonsense and the "hey we found a demon protecting a jewel shard, lets kill him!" or "oh no, koga captured kagome again!" filler episodes. The romantic relationships between characters progressed and battles progressed at a snails pace. TFA actually kind of forced everything to progress, I actually enjoyed it a lot, since only one episode was filler (the shippo demon academy thing).

Any of you people use myanimelist.net? It's fun just for listing stuff and keeping track of where you when watching series.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
I couldn't stand Gundam00. None of the mech battles had any tension to them, since for the most part it was just gundams curb stomping the opposing side. The main characters displayed no depth to me.

Yeah, up to episode 10 when they started getting their asses handed to them. Also, in the season finale...
Spoiler: show
one of the pilots is killed, half of the support team is killed, and the other three gundams are trashed to shit. I don't classify that as curbstomping at all, especially when things were going awry before even half of that season was over. Factor in the other plot point when their AI gets taken from them and it becomes a losing streak.

I haven't seen the second season yet but I've gotta disagree with you on that much. The pacing was super fast, but the last things I'd call it out on are the stuff that you mentioned.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:51 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

Yeah, up to episode 10 when they started getting their asses handed to them. Also, in the season finale...
Spoiler: show
one of the pilots is killed, half of the support team is killed, and the other three gundams are trashed to shit. I don't classify that as curbstomping at all, especially when things were going awry before even half of that season was over. Factor in the other plot point when their AI gets taken from them and it becomes a losing streak.

I haven't seen the second season yet but I've gotta disagree with you on that much. The pacing was super fast, but the last things I'd call it out on are the stuff that you mentioned.

I've watched the whole series.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09 pm 

Uh, could you elaborate more rather than just saying that? That doesn't exactly tell me anything.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:51 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Monster ... [is] pretty much flawless though.

I would argue that Monster's quality is debatable (I'm sure can find my arguments somewhere further up this thread), but then I quite liked Gundam 00, so it's probably just a matter of taste.

@OzzyApu: It's been a while since I watched it, but I seem to remember Gundam 00's second season being a little more contrived than the first (still liked it though), but it's generally supposed to be a lot like Gundam Wing, which is one of my favorites, so it really depends on what you want out of a Real Robot show.

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Any of you people use myanimelist.net? It's fun just for listing stuff and keeping track of where you when watching series.

I'm on there. ANN also does it. I also have an account at anime-planet.com, which does the same thing and even creates an image to show your collective anime watching experience that you can then post elsewhere (like as part of your signature on forums).

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:01 pm 

So I just finished watching Fate/Stay Night ~Unlimited Blade Works~ and...holy shit, it was actually pretty good. Great action sequences, and the characters actually had some dignity this time! No (well, okay, miniscule amounts of) insulting fanservice! Purpose and direction in the story! Well-established conflicts! Such a shame that people die if they are killed, though.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:06 pm 

Just watched Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki. Christ, what a beautiful movie. *Wipes away tear*

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:09 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:

I do. Never used it for much other than autismally creating backlogs of stuff I'll likely don't watch and keeping track of stuff so I don't forget what was the last ep I watched.

On an unrelated note, is there anything worthy of trying from the last few seasons? I haven't been following this stuff since winter of 2012

And speaking of Fate, man I hate Gilgamesh so fucking much. He is a wanker just like that Kano dude from Texhonylze, except with 1000x more screentime and more overpowered than the whole DBZ cast together.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

Marag wrote:
On an unrelated note, is there anything worthy of trying from the last few seasons? I haven't been following this stuff since winter of 2012

Chihaya-fucking-furu. Aside from Fate/Zero, it's the best thing to happen to anime in 2012.

As for this year, there's...Chihayafuru season two, and...uhhhh...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:52 pm 

Shingenki no Kyojin? I haven't watched it yet but I've heard it's actually good.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:07 pm 

Marag wrote:
Shingenki no Kyojin? I haven't watched it yet but I've heard it's actually good.

It's REALLY good. Total despair.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:28 am 

Am I the only one thinking that Shingeki no Kyojin is a bit overrated?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:35 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Am I the only one thinking that Shingeki no Kyojin is a bit overrated?

I haven't seen it yet, but you're probably right. I'm just expecting a fun, somewhat dark, action series when I finally do get around to it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 61  Next