Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:36 am 

I have to listen more of Electronic music! I already like Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis (HIGHLY recommend) and Jean Jacques Perrey, and I also like newer Electronic bands/artists like Hot Chip, Yeasayer, Cut Copy and Burial.

In general, I love ambient, and I sometimes listen to Drum n Bass.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 pm 

I feel like I could really get into ambient if I had the right places to start. A year or so back i often listened to Tangerine Dream's Phaedra and Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht and Timewind. Especially Timewind. However it seems to either have turned into a dead end or I periodically lost my attention span, because I've not felt a strong inclination to search out more from them

I presently listen to some dark ambient from Vond, Profane Grace, Hexentanz. Beherit's Electric Doom Synthesis. and a few tracks from Judgehydrogen. But most of the ambient I like is the dungeon synth / medieval ambient stuff from Mortiis, Depressive Silence, Gothmog, December's Fire, Wongraven, and others.

What would sound amazing, is something that sounds like a cross between era 1 (obviously) Mortiis, Lord Wind, and Hexentanz.

oh yeah, and thanks to the couple people who mentioned Jean Michael Jarre! Equinoxe is awesome; I'd forgotten about it.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:37 pm 

ravagingthemassacred wrote:
I feel like I could really get into ambient if I had the right places to start. A year or so back i often listened to Tangerine Dream's Phaedra and Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht and Timewind. Especially Timewind. However it seems to either have turned into a dead end or I periodically lost my attention span, because I've not felt a strong inclination to search out more from them

I presently listen to some dark ambient from Vond, Profane Grace, Hexentanz. Beherit's Electric Doom Synthesis. and a few tracks from Judgehydrogen. But most of the ambient I like is the dungeon synth / medieval ambient stuff from Mortiis, Depressive Silence, Gothmog, December's Fire, Wongraven, and others.

What would sound amazing, is something that sounds like a cross between era 1 (obviously) Mortiis, Lord Wind, and Hexentanz.

oh yeah, and thanks to the couple people who mentioned Jean Michael Jarre! Equinoxe is awesome; I'd forgotten about it.

Check out Raison D'etre in that case. It's much more musically compitent than dungeon synth, but being a mainstay of the Cold Meat Industry label it retains a lot of the aesthetics.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 pm 

For Raison d'Etre, start with this song. The first two minutes are dull and then it gets great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbx6aXhocew

That's his best album I've heard too, by the way.

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:08 pm 

Discovered the awesomeness of electronica a couple of years back, and I'm really hooked! Listen to a lot of diferent stuff, from space music like TG's Phaedra, Klaus schultze's stuff and Jonn Serrrie. A lot of dubstep/complextro/glitch hop-ish stuff like savant, Heyoka, Pegboard nerds, and even Knife party does it for me. And of course, a lot of everything that has psy attached to it. Psytrance, psybient/chill/downtempo etc. I really love how a lot of psy got plenty of sound layers that may create thousands of dimentions within each song, espesually when you have taken some form of psychedelics.

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

talvikki77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

Speaking of electronic music, anyone here going to Triton Fest? (http://tritonfestival.com/) Some of my favorite bands are performing (Nachtmahr, FGFC820, Psyclon Nine, Combichrist, Grendel, God Module) but a certain someone is dragging his feet about making plans, so I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm 

Massacred - honestly. you may dig my stuff in my signature, and I'm not just being a self-promoting d-bag here, :lol: it's right up your alley.

Also, William Basinski, Level's Opale, Richard Skelton, and Loren Conners.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:12 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Massacred - honestly. you may dig my stuff in my signature, and I'm not just being a self-promoting d-bag here, :lol: it's right up your alley.

Also, William Basinski, Level's Opale, Richard Skelton, and Loren Conners.

I checked both your projects out, unfortunately it's not for me. I don't really like the harsher kinds of dark ambient. I don't know if you meant the other artists as a recommendation towards me, but I loved William Basinki (Vivian & Ondine, Disintegration Loop 6) and Richard Skelton, thanks! William Basinki especially is exactly what I've been searching for in ambient...organic and mystical soundscape.

ravagingthemassacred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:20 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Check out Raison D'etre in that case. It's much more musically compitent than dungeon synth, but being a mainstay of the Cold Meat Industry label it retains a lot of the aesthetics.

Good stuff, I appreciate it! And thanks Earthcubed for the link. I found the song to be alright, but it led me to another song of theirs, Without the Shedding There is No Forgiveness that I like very much. I'm going to start with the album it came from, The Stains of the Embodied Sacrifice. How does this album compare to the rest of their work? Is most of their material not as peaceful sounding?

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:47 am 

Right now, I am looking into old school EBM, and am liking it. It really reminds me of Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. I just got into Die Krupps, and am looking into others.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:11 am 

ravagingthemassacred wrote:
Scorntyrant wrote:

Good stuff, I appreciate it! And thanks Earthcubed for the link. I found the song to be alright, but it led me to another song of theirs, Without the Shedding There is No Forgiveness that I like very much. I'm going to start with the album it came from, The Stains of the Embodied Sacrifice. How does this album compare to the rest of their work? Is most of their material not as peaceful sounding?

Raison D'etre is like the AC/DC of dark ambient - it doesn't really vary much at all from album to album.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:40 pm 

Venetian Snares is a big favorite of mine. I wrote a shitty and pretentious blog about his music a while back that might serve someone interested well: http://sourlowss.blogspot.ca/2013/07/on-venetian-snares.html

Or just try this on for size:

I also like some of Squarepusher's stuff, Lustmord, some Autechre, Royksopp's "Senior" album, some "witch house" or whatever people call it, and I'm guilty of listening to a lot of Crystal Castles. I need to check out Aphex Twin though, kind of on my to-do list since I want to go about it "properly" because I'm strange like that.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:29 pm 

Svarthavid wrote:
Discovered the awesomeness of electronica a couple of years back, and I'm really hooked! Listen to a lot of diferent stuff, from space music like TG's Phaedra, Klaus schultze's stuff and Jonn Serrrie. A lot of dubstep/complextro/glitch hop-ish stuff like savant, Heyoka, Pegboard nerds, and even Knife party does it for me. And of course, a lot of everything that has psy attached to it. Psytrance, psybient/chill/downtempo etc. I really love how a lot of psy got plenty of sound layers that may create thousands of dimentions within each song, espesually when you have taken some form of psychedelics.

Glitch-hop is fantastic! Don't miss out on edIT, Glitch Mob, Vibesquad, Tipper, Opiuo, Feed Me, Griz, Pantyraid etc.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:03 am 

Psytrance is probably my favorite subcategory of electronic. I love Shpongle a lot, also Hallucinogen, Infected Mushroom, Ott, Prometheus, and all of Simon Posford/Raja Ram's projects.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:32 am 

Fatali is some really underrated psytrance. Their album "Faith" is fantastic.

Slackbaba is awesome. I'm partial to some 1200 Mics and Astral Projection as well.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:44 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

Slackbaba is awesome. I'm partial to some 1200 Mics and Astral Projection as well.

I'll give Astral Projection props for being among the forerunners to the genre, and they're pretty alright, but it seems like a lot of their songs sound alike. There are some standout tracks, though.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:24 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

I'll give Astral Projection props for being among the forerunners to the genre, and they're pretty alright, but it seems like a lot of their songs sound alike. There are some standout tracks, though.

Carbon based Lifeforms is also amazing, although some consider it more regular chillout than actual psy. world of sleepers and Interloper are two fantastic albums! Ekoplex and Globular are also kick ass psy acts in the psychill/psydub/tribal genres. Guys who are into psy should really check out www.ektoplazm.com. It's a free psy netlabel where you can download hundreds of albums from underground artists 100% legal. There are some crap there, but you'll find a lot of atmospheric masterpieces around there. ekoplex' discovering the ancients and Globular's A self fulfilling prophecy are true gems.

And yeah, opiuo, Feed me and Tipper are awesome! Will check out the other stuff you mentioned too!

These names sound like you just made them up lol...I'll tell my kids these were the names of the three wise men.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 pm 

I consider Carbon Based Lifeforms "psyambient" similar to Entheogenic etc rather than "psytrance" which is the less ambient, more dancey stuff.

Hydroponic Garden and Interloper are my favorites :D

qTp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am 

Carbon Based Lifeforms make psybient, Ultimae Records is pure gold for this subgenre!

Svarthavid wrote:
Guys who are into psy should really check out http://www.ektoplazm.com. It's a free psy netlabel where you can download hundreds of albums from underground artists 100% legal.

This is a great website, I found gems like these:
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/esc ... -the-drama
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/etn ... wn-of-time
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/kad ... magination
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/cyb ... a-colossus

Westvargr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:47 am 

I am totally in love with the mixture of reggae/dancehall and slighlty heavier (while remaining catchy) electronic music like psytrance, drum n' bass, brostep, etc.

Songs like:

Knife Party - Bonfire
Pendulum - Tarantula
Skrillex - Make it Bun Dem
Infected Mushroom - Where Do I Belong
Zomboy - Nuclear (Hands Up)

I'd love to find some original more songs like this (not amateur remixes of old reggae songs). Since it's not an unique genre (hopefully "yet"), it's not too easy to find these. Anyone knows any more?

Svarthavid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:02 pm 

Westvargr wrote:
I am totally in love with the mixture of reggae/dancehall and slighlty heavier (while remaining catchy) electronic music like psytrance, drum n' bass, brostep, etc.

Songs like:

Knife Party - Bonfire
Pendulum - Tarantula
Skrillex - Make it Bun Dem
Infected Mushroom - Where Do I Belong
Zomboy - Nuclear (Hands Up)

I'd love to find some original more songs like this (not amateur remixes of old reggae songs). Since it's not an unique genre (hopefully "yet"), it's not too easy to find these. Anyone knows any more?

You might always try this one, big chune outa Stylo G!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqCQx0t5qjw

I'm also a sucker for regular Dancehall/reggae, everything from roots to more of the modern Dancehall stuff, but that'd belong in another thread maybe.

yep, Ektoplazm rules. I'm currently in posession of almost their entire catalogue of releases.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:15 pm 

Sixty replies to this thread and I am the first one who is into noise/power electronics/death industrial? Love Genocide Organ, Operation Cleansweep, Whitehouse, Rasthof Dachau, The Grey Wolves, Anenzephalia and more. Occasionally enjoy some japanoise like Merzbow and Masonna too! Anyone heard Sunn O)))'s collaborations with Merzbow? Top-notch. But Genocide Organ above all!

Oh and not to forget NON. Best thing Boyd Rice ever did, especially the early stuff! Pagan Muzak for the win, massive headache! :)

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:40 pm 

Nah, you're not the only one, drone, I know there are some of us here. I don't usually contribute much to threads like these because A) it gets tedious and sometimes feels a bit pointless for some reason, and B) when I hear the term "electronic music" I don't usually assume people are looking for noise or more "deviant" forms of electronic work, but rather more traditionally structured, typically melodic/rhythmic, etc. I'm not sure I even consider noise and its cousins "music" in the proper sense, but that's splitting hairs. Anyway, not trying to thought police anyone, recommend away! While you're at it, I'll throw in MZ412 and mention their Nordik Battle Signs as a great entry point for extreme work from the industrial realm that could possibly appeal to metal folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECsvpBK3m74

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:38 pm 

Another person into old school industrial/dark ambient here.......

Coil, SPK, Lustmord, Aghast, Einsturzende Neubauten, Diamanda Galas, Halo Manash, Throbbing Gristle, Skinny Puppy, Current 93, Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, Kerovnian, Nordvargr, Lucisferrato, Endvra, Raison D'etre, Atrium Carceri, etc.

When it comes to power electronic/noise, I actually prefer death industrial. Nothing beats Genocide Organ, Brighter Death Now, or Atrax Morgue for sick, filthy waves of feedback over dark ambient!!!

When it comes to EBM-type stuff, I generally prefer either the old electro-industrial bands like Skinny Puppy, Frontline Assembly, Haujobb, or Die Form, or the electro-goth crossover bands like Diary of Dreams, Clan of Xymox, Deine Lakaien, or The Frozen Autumn.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:31 pm 

Brighter Death Now is one of those bands I can't get into at all, just too boring to me. My cut off point between good stuff and boring stuff is Anenzephalia, they straddle the border pretty narrowly and I don't listen to them often because of it.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:30 pm 

I generally prefer the BDN's Slaughterhouse or Great Death albums....... the stuff that's more dark ambient than noise.
The creepy moans are what won me over to this band.

Couldn't really get into albums like Innerwar.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:05 pm 

I met Roger Karmanik when he came out to Australia in 2006. Odd guy but very nice.

I'm much more into the Death Industrial side of BDN as opposed to the PE aspect. "Pain in progress", "Necrose evangelicum", "Very little fun" etc. I've got a pretty decent BDN collection - I'm only missing Slaughterhouse, Innerwar and the impossible-to-find Great Death boxset. All other releases on L.P.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:05 am 

Yes, I forgot the godly Necrose Evangelicum!!! :evil:

Yeah, I only spoke to him on e-mail while doing DJ promos for CMI in Japan, but he seemed nice enough.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 am 

Here's a question that's been bothering me: How do I tell "regular" power electronics from white power electronics? For the most part they have the same type of imagery, songtitles and appearance! :lol:

How about Streicher for example? Cool stuff, but is it PE or WPE? I can't tell!!

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 pm 

I like the retro/vintage imagery que Kraftwerk transmits. on the other hand ,Justice are very Metal.

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Hydroponic Garden :D

:finger:

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Here's a question that's been bothering me: How do I tell "regular" power electronics from white power electronics? For the most part they have the same type of imagery, songtitles and appearance! :lol:

How about Streicher for example? Cool stuff, but is it PE or WPE? I can't tell!!

It's like NSBM...... the only difference is the ideology.
Stuff like Deathkey, 88mm, Xenophobic Ejaculation, Organized Resistance, etc.

I think Streicher uses the NS image more for shock, like Genocide Organ, Slave State, Operation Cleansweep, Grunt, etc.

fetalfeast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 am 

I've been getting into electronic more and more these days. IDM like Autechre is unmatched. Futurepop is a pretty fun genre. Apoptygma Berzerk, Assemblage 23, etc. I've always been a fan of harsh electro/aggrotech and ambient as well. I'd love to hear some opinions on my own ambient project, it's in my signature.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:19 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maI0-kf5MWM

Damn this is so ridiculously catchy and energetic. Who needs power metal?!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:38 pm 

Does Japan only have "regular"/harsh noise or are there actually any power electronics artists from Japan?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:56 pm 

I actually just finished up an EP. It's in the future-retro/synthwave genre. Basically it's glorious analog synth tones with heavy drum machine beats and a futuristic, spacey atmosphere. If you like 80s electro and synth soundtracks, you could get into this.

check it out http://omnipsyence.bandcamp.com/album/g ... he-machine

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Does Japan only have "regular"/harsh noise or are there actually any power electronics artists from Japan?

Hmmm.

That's actually a good question. When I was into this stuff, every band I ever heard from Japan was cited as noise rather than PE...

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:39 pm 

I believe most PE in Japan is from foreign artists living in Japan, and even they mix it up with other industrial genres, such as my friend's unit The National Grid.

Japanese just don't seem to like repetition very much.

They prefer the more random/scattered approach of noise, though some of Masami Akita's stuff released under his own name, and not Merzbow, is very PE-ish.....

Also, most futurepop/aggrotech I can't stand.
Aggrotech is like the nu-metal of industrial music, enough said.....

Some of the earlier futurepop with more gothy elements is alright, such as the earlier stuff by Wolfsheim, Covenant, VNV Nation, or Apoptygma Berzerk. All of these bands later degenerated into wholehearted radio popdom.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:11 pm 

Atropus wrote:
Also, most futurepop/aggrotech I can't stand.
Aggrotech is like the nu-metal of industrial music, enough said.....

That's the worst comparison I've heard in months, completely inaccurate lol. Aggrotech isn't meant to be industrial nor does it try to be. It is its own genre.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:17 pm 

Well, nu-metal isn't exactly metal either.......

I dunno, I got completely burnt out on the genre after going to so many "goth events" with DJs who would ONLY play aggrotech/technoize all night because it's what the kids wanted.

It also kinda has all the baggy shorts, "fuck you motherfucker" lyrics, and all the other adolescent earmarks of nu-metal that just drive me nuts!!!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next