Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:28 am 

All information can be found within these links.

(Confirmed)
Line up has gone through too many changes. See analog_winter's post further down.

Last edited by ~Guest 132892 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm 

I'd love to attend Stella Natura, but being on the east coast makes it very difficult for me to be able to.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:07 pm 

http://www.ancestralfires.org/

Here's the official website

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 am 

Has anyone here attended this before? I'm seriously considered making the trip out after visiting the campgrounds last weekend for another festival but I had a few reservations now. This weekend's fest was run pretty poorly. The sound was awful for just about every band but the headliner on the second day, a bunch of the locals working the show just got drunk and tried to fight/stab the concert goers, the sound guys walked off the job about half way through the first day, and all the bands ran out of order of the posted set times and sometimes as often as 4-5 hours later than they were supposed to with some bands not taking the stage until well past 3am. I don't believe it's the same person behind both shows (nor that all this was necessarily his fault) but I'm not sure whether it's the same crew they bring back for all events there or what. Any info would be appreciated.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:55 am 

^
This all sounds just awful.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 pm 

All comparatively minor problems if you weren't in the middle of it and anybody not playing on the back half of the first day wouldn't have been too affected by most of the technical issues. The drunk cowboy SECURITY GUARD threatening to stab my guitar player, trying to push my other guitar player in our fire pit and getting rapey with our friends was bullshit though. I heard the locals working the fest were recommended by somebody in the area that also uses them so I'm curious to know whether its the Stella Natura guys and I'd have to endure them again

Claustrophiliac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:00 am 

I have never been to Stella but thinking of it this year. I have heard nothing but good things about the way the run the event, just be cool with sitting through neofolk and dark ambient/noise/drone ect. as it is not a total metal festival (or go hiking during those sets or something). I found a bunch of videos of performances from past years and it sounds like the sound is pretty good. Check this Mournful congregation one out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pjtCky7VZ8

Looks pretty professional with the sound/lights ect.

Krav
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
All comparatively minor problems if you weren't in the middle of it and anybody not playing on the back half of the first day wouldn't have been too affected by most of the technical issues. The drunk cowboy SECURITY GUARD threatening to stab my guitar player, trying to push my other guitar player in our fire pit and getting rapey with our friends was bullshit though. I heard the locals working the fest were recommended by somebody in the area that also uses them so I'm curious to know whether its the Stella Natura guys and I'd have to endure them again

They hire volunteers in exchange for (I think) free tickets, so they are people who have an interest in making the event go well. I don't think you have anything to worry about for this fest.

squeebsquab
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:38 pm 

I attended Stella Natura last year and also volunteered. I can attest to this festival being ran and organized without a hitch. All the bands sounded great and the atmosphere was amazing.

I am pretty sure that the person putting on the event is in charge of providing all the equipment and hiring the sound people. It was most likely the fault of the people running the show. The coordinators hire or find all the security so i dont think you will have the same problem at Stella Natura as you did at this other festival. That sounds like a complete nightmare.

The volunteers are not really in charge of running sound or security at all at Stella Natura. They mostly just make sure things are clean, people get fed, people enter the gate and no where to park etc etc. Knowing how Adam operates hes going to HIRE the best sound guys and make sure everything is running smoothly. I know he barely even watched any of the bands last year because he was running around taking care of things.

I really had such an amazing time last year and was truly amazed how one guy put on such an amazing festival that went so smoothly. I think this year will probably go that much smoother after seeing what could be changed after last year.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:02 pm 

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll be attending this year after all if everything works out.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:04 am 

So turns out I will be attending the festival. If anyone would like to meet up or needs a ride from Reno, Nevada(with gas money of course), hit me up.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:20 am 

Here's a flyer with the full lineup:

Ya'll who are going out to this will get to see MERKSTAVE live, which makes me jealous beyond belief.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm 

It's gonna rule sooooo much. Not just Merkstave, but :Of The Wand And The Moon:, Fire + Ice, Hell, Ash Borer, Wardruna, Arktau Eos... It's pretty much a line up of pure win.

And it's right in my backyard, too! Just a little over an hour from where I live.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:31 pm 

iAm wrote:
It's gonna rule sooooo much. Not just Merkstave, but :Of The Wand And The Moon:, Fire + Ice, Hell, Ash Borer, Wardruna, Arktau Eos... It's pretty much a line up of pure win.

And it's right in my backyard, too! Just a little over an hour from where I live.

This is why I regret choosing to go to a college on the east coast. The whole lineup is incredible, but the band I'd be most excited for is Merkstave.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:55 pm 

Well, you guys do have Maryland Deathfest.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:30 pm 

iAm wrote:
Well, you guys do have Maryland Deathfest.

This is true, but for me, Maryland Deathfest has never had a lineup that has had me anywhere near as excited as Stella Natura does. MDF usually only has a few bands I'm interested in, but that's just my personal taste.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:15 am 

Yeah, Stella Natura is in a totally different league altogether. Does the East coast even have anything like this? Panopticon and the like have gained some popularity the past couple years.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:52 am 

iAm wrote:
Yeah, Stella Natura is in a totally different league altogether. Does the East coast even have anything like this? Panopticon and the like have gained some popularity the past couple years.

Not that I know of. Winter is Coming fest up in Connecticut had a pretty awesome lineup that included Velnias, Esoteric, Falls of Rauros, and (I think) Seidr too, but it got cancelled :(

I may just have to get some friends together and try to start something like that up myself in a couple of years.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 pm 

I would kill to get to this!!! I would kill to see Wardruna live,I wonder if this will be a one off show for them or if they are playing any other US shows, and will Gaahl be performing? too bad we don't have awesome fests like this on the east coast!

theRothstanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 pm 

Hello everyone,
I'm a lurker but decided to post because I was hoping maybe some of you guys could be of help as far as planning my trip out west. I'm going to be attending Stella Natura this year, but will also be in SF for Death in June the week before. Anyone have any recommendations for cool dive bars/cheap food around the Mezzinine (around the Market St/SOMA area)? I'm staying in a hostel in the area and am looking for places that are easily accessible via walking or BART. Also, any additional info from people who were at Stella last year regarding food vendors/prices would be much appreciated!

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:48 am 

There's nothing really around downtown SF that's worth checking out aside from Rasputin's (huge record shop at Powell & Market with a great metal selection.) Anything immediately north of Market caters to tourists and is priced accordingly and the SoMa is all tech companies and hip coffee shops so it pretty much dies after sundown. If you're into craft beers there's City Beer Store on 7th and Folsom, otherwise I'd avoid the neighborhood all together. The Mission is a cool place to hang around in the city, there's great food on every block and Bender's on 19th and South Van Ness. Further off is the Haight which again is hardly worth visiting aside from Amoeba Records (the best place to buy music in California) and Toronado. If you're up for a trip to the east bay I highly recommend visiting Eli's Mile High Tavern on 37th and MLK in West Oakland, it's far and away the grimiest place in the bay but the only bar that caters exclusively towards crust punks and metal heads with cheap beer and real stiff drinks. It's an awesome place to get plastered, do some key bumps, and meet some interesting degenerates. They do live shows multiple times a week.

There's also a few short tours built around Stella Natura that are hitting SF too, Stargazer and Knelt Rote are playing the Elbo Room on 17th and Valencia in the Mission the Monday before the fest and Velnias and Esoteric 2 nights later at the same venue. There's also this great site that lists every show in the bay area from indie coffee house to grind house show to major touring bands called The List that you should check out before you head over.

Last edited by Inspector_Satan on Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Claustrophiliac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:47 am 

I am not sure when you are arriving , but the week of that Death in June show and the following week have a lot of shows.

9/10 Mob47 and a bunch of other d-beat type stuff at The Knockout in SF
9/11 Dispirit/The Witching Hour/Xenotaph at Eli's Mile High Club in Oakland (near BART and shows here end before BART stops)
9/13 well, I guess you are at DIJ anyway, but MOB47 is also at the Metro in Oakland, also near BART
9/14 At the Metro in Oakland Agalloch/Worm Ouroboros/Gloam and also a book exhibition for Dennis Dread's "Entarte Kunts" in SF at the Vortex Room with various prints showing and a reading or something
9/16 Stargazer/Knelt Rote at the Elbo Room in SF
9/18 Stargazer/Knelt Rote/Velnias/Hell/Gloam at the Metro in Oakland

For bars, I don't really know SF too well anymore, Toranado has a ton of good beers on tap, but not a metal bar by any stretch. Zeitgeist is sorta rocker/biker/hipster with good beers on tap and a nice outdoor beergarden area. The Attic at 24th street BART is a decent hole in the wall that occasionally has good metal playing if my friend Dan is working. If you want to hit one of the best beer spots around check out Beer Revolution in Oakland (near the Metro and be aware they close early, 10 or 11) with 50 or so beers on tap and individual bottles from all over the world, maybe stock another 200 varieties. Merchants down the street is the best get 'get completely shitfaced" punk/metal/rock dive bar around there.

theRothstanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm 

The info is much appreciated! I figured Oakland would be more on my level. However, for pre gaming before Death in June I'm gonna wanna stay kinda close so it looks like I am probably gonna drop my stuff off and then head to The Attic. I am actually arriving on the 13th to catch Death in June, and then have to head down to my cousin's wedding in Santa Cruz on the 14th. I thinking I might catch at least one other show before Stella...hoping to do at least do either Agalloch in Santa Cruz or Ramming Speed at Slim's or Stargazer at The Metro.
I really wanted to check out Eli's when I was supposed to come out last summer, so I really should make it happen this time around. I've also heard about the Witch Haus in Santa Cruz and would love to see a show if one is going on but I'm not sure how all of this is gonna work out yet. I actually was talking to Ross from Ghoul last summer when I was planning another trip out West that fell through and he mentioned The List, though it totally would have slipped my mind if you had not mentioned it again! Again, thanks for the recommendations! I didn't wanna get stuck in the super expensive tourist areas and even advice from friends and family sometimes doesn't compare to advice from strangers who are into similar things you are into.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:35 am 

theRothstanator wrote:
I didn't wanna get stuck in the super expensive tourist areas

Hang out in the Tenderloin along Turk, Taylor and Jones streets then :P But seriously only if you like being hustled or have a taste for hookers, jenkems and crystal meth.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 pm 

iAm wrote:
theRothstanator wrote:
I didn't wanna get stuck in the super expensive tourist areas

Hang out in the Tenderloin along Turk, Taylor and Jones streets then :P But seriously only if you like being hustled or have a taste for hookers, jenkems and crystal meth.

Don't forget the ladyboys!

I didn't even think about Beer Revolution or Merchants but if you find yourself anywhere near the Metro, both are within 5-7 minutes walking distance and well worth the trip. If you wind up at that Agalloch show in Santa Cruz definitely make sure you get there in time to catch Gloam, they're one of the best newer bands in the area.

theRothstanator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:29 pm 

I'm a lady, so I usually don't get hustled by hookers...just have to make sure that I don't get abducted :)

Again, thanks for all the info!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:31 am 

So to anyone going look for a bearded guy with a Hellhammer backpatch.

I only know a couple people who might be going, so a meet up with some Metal Archives folk would be pretty cool.

CrestOfBlack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm 

iAm wrote:
So to anyone going look for a bearded guy with a Hellhammer backpatch.

I only know a couple people who might be going, so a meet up with some Metal Archives folk would be pretty cool.

I'll be the shortish drunk dude with a beanie and glasses and a Sarcafago backpatch. I don't know anyone going, so I'm down to make some new friends.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:24 pm 

This Friday! :hyper:

Hockeymask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:41 am 

I'll be the idiot post emo looking goth fag with a Dead Christ shirt and possibly denim jacket with a deicide backpatch probably drinking rolling rock constantly

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

How'd you guys like the weather? :-D

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm 

So how was that fest? Anyone got pics of the event? It looks very interesting.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:27 am 

Metantoine wrote:
So how was that fest? Anyone got pics of the event? It looks very interesting.

I have a few, but the battery life on my phone sucks and wasn't able to get much. I'll upload them tomorrow in the nature thread. Next year I'll remember to bring a formidable camera and get lots of pictures.

All I have to say about the weather- watching Fire + Ice play with Blood of Kvasir around a rainy campfire with about thirty odd people and snow in the trees was a phenomenal experience. It was cold, grim and frostbitten to say the least. Also met CrestofBlack, but Hockeymask was nowhere to be found.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 am 

Hockeymask was too busy killing teenagers near the lake.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:23 pm 

Out of curiosity, how did all the Saturday bands who got snowed out get rescheduled? Did it just run really late or did they get pushed back to Sunday or what?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:42 pm 

I guess they had three stages all overlapping eachother on Sunday for the bands that didn't get scared of the rain.

Reply to topic