Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 pm 

The title was too long to add "read first post", I am hoping you people read it anyway, because there are two things I do not want. First is, don't go around saying the new album of a band you already hate is going to suck, at least in such obvious cases such as "Oh man, Underoath announced a new album, it's going to be awful!" - No shit, dude? Try to keep it metal only for starters. And like I said, don't go around saying the next album of a universally loathed band is going to suck, that's just pointless. Second thing I don't want is comments on albums that already have samples out or worse, have leaked, because that, again, is just pointless. I want predictions based on your experience with the band, their current line-up, the direction they've been going, where you see them at this point, etc.

Oh yeah, and tell us why you think what you think. Uncommented mentions are going to be subject by remorseless scolding by Zodijackyl, Metantoine and the other guys. Be warned. :P

I'll start with an example that is really bothering me, the upcoming Protector album. Amazing band back in the day, but what the fuck are they now? First of all, the only thing left of the classic Protector is Martin Missy, the fucking vocalist, so it's really an entirely different band songwriting-wise that will have absolutely nothing to do with the classic stuff. It's a different band, and it seems like an insult to use the name if it has nothing to do with the Protector we know. But it could still be good, right? Well, not if the The Return of Thrash and Madness demo is anything to go by. Maaaan was that fucking boring, uninspired crap. Heard a billion times, and a billion times better. Such bland and generic stuff with no qualities to stand out, most 16-year old Brazilian retro thrashers play with more spirit. And they made a whole album like that? See me cringe.

Not all hope is lost for classic death/thrash bands, though. I did say in the first paragraph that I don't want mentions of albums when samples are out, and I have to admit that in this case I don't actually know if there maybe is a sample out, I have never heard one, but anyway: Pentagram Chile - The Malefice. I can't put my finger on this but I think this is going to rule. Their classic material ruled supreme, and they are basically still the same people in the band, and I have the feeling they'll be back with a vengeance. Matured as songwriters but keeping true to the old spirit. Again, I can't tell you exactly how I arrived at this conclusion, call it a hunch. It's going to rule, mark my words.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:57 pm 

Protector has a new album coming out? What the fuck, hold the phones!

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:05 pm 

Yep and produced by Tomas Skogsberg at Studio Sunlight nonetheless. I'm staying optimistic. Funny I was getting ready to make a post about their new album too. Definitely looking forward to Pentagram Chile. The song they recently released on YouTube was fucking fantastic.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:23 pm 

I'll go with the new Dark Funeral coming out. I love their early stuff, even up to Diabolis Interium. But after that they really seemed to stagnate and I'm not sure why. The guitars got boring, the vocals were uninspired and the overall songwriting became bland. So for Under the Sign of the Horns (what a fucking title :grumble:), I don't expect them to be too daring. Though maybe they have had time to refine their chops after four years...

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:17 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I'll start with an example that is really bothering me, the upcoming Protector album. Amazing band back in the day, but what the fuck are they now? First of all, the only thing left of the classic Protector is Martin Missy, the fucking vocalist, so it's really an entirely different band songwriting-wise that will have absolutely nothing to do with the classic stuff. It's a different band, and it seems like an insult to use the name if it has nothing to do with the Protector we know. But it could still be good, right? Well, not if the The Return of Thrash and Madness demo is anything to go by. Maaaan was that fucking boring, uninspired crap. Heard a billion times, and a billion times better. Such bland and generic stuff with no qualities to stand out, most 16-year old Brazilian retro thrashers play with more spirit. And they made a whole album like that? See me cringe.

I played a gig with this band a few years ago. Martin was one of those people who seemed to have one personality when he spoke to you and another when he turned his back. He tried to screw us over and was generally an ass about it. Totally put me off ever checking out his band. Fuck 'em!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

Keeping up with solely my personal bias...I'm expecting the new Motorhead and Hail of Bullets to kick ass in their usual, respective fashions. They would be the only releases left to possibly disappoint me this year. Everything else that I end up enjoying will simply be a pleasant surprise as I don't think any other of my favorites have new albums scheduled.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:56 pm 

Apparently Monolithe have already recorded Monolithe IV, which is pretty nuts considering the seven year wait between II and III. Since II was quick on the heels of I and was their worst album, although still good, I'm a little concerned that they won't back it up too well, but it's plausible they had a whole bunch of left over material from the big game between albums. I'm more or less expecting more of the same, lots of riff changes and jam sessions, an above funeral doom tempo, minimal vocal work. Their sound is so unique I don't think I'd be burnt out on another album of the same just yet, so bring on a carbon copy!

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 pm 

New Behemoth and new Belphegor are both going to be killer. For some reason I think that Belphegor's new album will be just as good if not better than Lucifer Incestus...but with that kind of expectations I'm almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 pm 

Any reason why you'd think that Belphegor would excel so well? I liked BMN a lot, but that's one good album following up a couple of really shitty ones, so until they get the ratio back in order I'm not sold on a true return to form. And I'm pretty certain they'll never touch Lucifer Incestus again, they still like their slower, sex rock tracks too much, and the mere existence of one will hold it under that standard.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:37 pm 

Well the trailers seemed pretty promising, and Bondage Goat Zombie actually is overall not that bad at all. Wulpurgis Rites- Hexenwahn was indeed a steaming pile of shit, but that can be overlooked I think since most extreme metal bands that's been around as long as them are going to have a few bumps in the road.
...or, maybe that's all bullshit, I dunno

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 pm 

*Finds out about trailers, goes googling*

Is it actually going to be called Chapter X, because that'd be sad, I love Belphegor's ridiculous imagery and titling, and a damn number title is a disappointing as hell..

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Any reason why you'd think that Belphegor would excel so well? I liked BMN a lot, but that's one good album following up a couple of really shitty ones, so until they get the ratio back in order I'm not sold on a true return to form. And I'm pretty certain they'll never touch Lucifer Incestus again, they still like their slower, sex rock tracks too much, and the mere existence of one will hold it under that standard.

Drums, Bass and Guitars are all tracked. It sounds brutal, more aggressive and more Death than what was heard on the last Lp´s. The soundwall is massive - just as expected.
Thanks to Erik Rutan for the extra motivation and forcing us to nail down
tight as fukk performances.
Furthermore I am set to lay down the vocals in June/ July, the mix and mastering will be done in September. A tough call, but it was the best for the record to decide to delay the release date again, to unleash the album in early 2014. Be prepared for Diabolical Death Musick!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:49 am 

I am tentatively optimistic about the upcoming Pestilence album Obsideo. I found Doctrine to be a little bit lacking, mostly due to the vocal shift from Resurrection Macabre, but it was still not too bad. If the vocals can be cleaned up, I think Obsideo should be good. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:23 am 

I was quite immersed by The Ruins of Beverast's three full-lengths, as well as the song The Desert Lair off the rarity compilation. First impressions aside, I never regarded the music as faultless (mainly in that the extremely long songs that Meilenwald writes contain amply throwaway material, or excess repetition). I loved his first three for all their faults, but I'm somewhat worried as to whether the upcoming album will be satisfying at all. The premiere tracks were somewhat forgettable and unimpressive, and I can't imagine why he'd release the least powerful material in advance. The production sounds full and sleek just as on Foulest Semen, but none of the material really benefitted from the sounds, as many songs on the 2008 album did (most notably, the doomy Arcane Farmakon Messiah). There was no such greatness in songwriting as portrayed on earlier albums, and the atmosphere was not quite as strong (which, frankly, has been a diminishing aspect since the debut full-length).

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:46 am 

Awaiting the new Dream Theater - I'm not expecting a revolution, but another steady step forward as usual with a few surprises. A Dramatic Turn of Events was incredibly solid and one of their best, and with Mangini participating in songwriting, this could get really interesting.

And at least one acoustic ballad please, Beneath The Surface was amazing.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:08 pm 

Based on the title track posted on yootoob, the new I Shalt Become should be quite excellent. A hybrid of the styles of the previous album and the two preceding albums. Has the orchestral parts from "Poison" with the stronger emphasis on guitar and riffs from "Requiem". Exactly the direction I had hoped for.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:43 am 

The new Hirax album Immortal Legacy will be solid, and perhaps much better than expected to be. They've made no concessions with incorporating outside influences or awkward experimentation to modernize their sound up to the present that I can perceive, and even with the number of member changes over the years I can't fathom why they would start now. They're unabashedly a thrash band who takes great pride in that and they sincerely love what they do, and it shows with the audiences they pull outside the U.S. - especially in South America. Bill Metoyer produced it and considering the power he channeled with Trouble's The Distortion Field, he's indubitably the man to bring out the beast here. Will it be a current day, groundbreaking, genre-redefining masterpiece? Not likely but more importantly, it doesn't need to be. There's little in the way of competition from their peers in the old guard this year (Hatriot's debut as an alternate Exodus fills the void competently, Sodom's latest was consistent if a bit unspectacular) and whoever's still standing from the younger revivalist wave is on shaky ground as it is, but I see that as an opportunity to get a little more recognition rather than being lost in the crowd.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:02 pm 

So this is a bit contrary to the point of the OP since a trailer went up online yesterday, but since it was announced I've been sure that the new Inquisition is going to be excellent. They are one of those bands that seem to keep a steady, even pace, getting incrementally better with each release. Ominous Doctrines... was absolutely killer and I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice since that album came out. Both times were stellar- supremely confident, super tight, and loving what they do. I think they've really hit their stride and it will show once Obscure Verses for the Multiverse is out.

Their trajectory points straight towards another great mix of dark, frenetic, and rocking black metal, and with the backing of Seasons of Mist I think this one is going to be pretty big for them. I don't often pre-order but in this case I'm going to snag a vinyl copy as soon as I can.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:05 pm 

Pumped for the Overkill album coming next March, but I hope it is more varied like Ironbound was, I liked The Electric Age but it wasn't as dynamic.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:35 pm 

Now...are hypothetical albums alright? Because Queensryche has started writing for a new one, but hasn't announced anything concrete. Their last one was really enjoyable and sounded like a band renewed. Yet...at the same time, restrained. There was about 30 minutes worth of actual music and there were times I felt they could have pushed it a bit more. This possible new, more than likely album from them has me excited due to comments from the bands and the feeling that I got from the s/t was it was kind of a warm-up. That was their first album as an actual band in quite a few years as a lot of their post-90s albums had input from session musicians and producers. There was a sense of testing the waters to see if they still had it and if it was worthwhile.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:20 pm 

New Hell is coming! It's going to be good! I am excited now!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:23 pm 

I'm sure the new Hell will have awesome vocals and great guitarwork, what I'm worried about is if the songs will be good as a whole - it's been 30 years since we had any actual new material by them. I'm looking forward to hearing what they do, I predict it will at least be interesting - to have such an old band finally writing new material in the modern day. Best case scenario, it's as good as Satan's Host or Satan's recent albums.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:28 pm 

It's going to be awesome, no doubt. I'm hoping for a more concise effort, tho.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:52 pm 

Few things are as good as Satan's Host.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Exigence

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:58 pm 

I'm sure there will be an official press release soon about whatever King Diamond's been working on. That'll be good.

Reply to topic