* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:18 pm 

Original thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=99532

Since only myself and CloggedUrethra completed this challenge, I've decided to simply provide these two links instead of creating a compilation bandcamp:

CloggedUrethra: http://nostrilcaverns.bandcamp.com/albu ... urant-2013

Guitartheist: http://violent.bandcamp.com/album/artificial

I've started listening to "The Restaurant", enjoying it so far and I'll write a detailed review when I have time.

Last edited by guitartheist on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:29 pm 

well i was going to try something in this final week but I guess I won't bother. Just saw it was due the 25th. bwahahahaha fuck that, I know no challenge that didn't end exactly on time.

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:30 pm 

CloggedUrethra, your lyrics are universally hilarious while still maintaining a coherent narrative. "the internet never lies", "8:22 on monday night", the descriptive romance and then the descriptive intestinal distress.

Mix was a bit muddy while simultaneously a bit weak, but I could make out all the playing and that's good and important. EQ would help with the mud and compession/limitter use will give it more punch. The riffs in "The Appetizer" are progalicious and your tone is almost jazz-fusiony. The drumming is thoroughly incredible. By the end of "The Entree", though, I do wish there a bit more dynamics - at this point every instrument has been playing for the duration of the EP, there is no change in timbre. The rhythmic and tonal variety is quite rich throughout the EP. Overall, I did enjoy your music and listened to the release several times.

I had a lot of fun putting my entry for the challenge together, and I encourage anyone who feels like submitting a bit late to do so - I'll definitely add your stuff to the list, listen thoroughly, and post my thoughts here.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:32 pm 

I'll give both a listen and depending on the rest of the week I might have something I only thought of a concept last friday hahaha.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:11 pm 

I listened to guitartheist's ep many times today and really like it. It starts out with some creepy synth and then surprised me by going into some fast techy death. The guitars are hella tight with plenty of solos throughout and I really dig the over-the-top drum programming. The production sounds really good too. Song 1 and 3 are fast paced with the occasional break down, Song 2 is a short one with only samples that helps the story along, and Song 4 is slower paced overall yet has the fastest blast beats on the whole album. My fav song is Song 3: Deja Vu. Probably my fav riff on the album is on Song 3 at 0:17. It's purely coincidence that it's one of the simplest riffs on the album (for the fretting/picking hands) and not that I like slower/simpler riffs more in general. But I really like how the guitars and drums interact for that part. I guess it could be written out like 15/8 time. And then after the second time that part plays, it goes into a fast picking part that makes me wonder if the bass is programmed? And then I love how the song ends with the very last two notes the guitars play in harmony with the right guitar going down and playing lower notes.

I thought the vocals were a little weird. Not in a bad way, I just don't think I've heard many vocals like that. Sounds like inhaling? I thought they worked though. There are also some clean vocals on the last song. One thing though, maybe I missed it but I couldn't find any lyrics. But I liked this ep and thought the fast + tight guitar playing and drum programming were great.

---

Thanks for listening and reviewing, guitartheist. I agree about my mix. I use a Yamaha MW8cx usb mixer to record drums, but I don't know how to record each input as its own wav file. When I record on my computer, all the inputs get combined into one wav, so I can't eq each mic separately after recording, which is really annoying. Do you know how I can record each input as its own wav, or know what I should buy to do that? Also, I just eq stuff by ear and never had a visual representation of what space the wavs take up, but I see in the other thread that Reaper shows a visual representation, so I'll download Reaper for next time.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 pm 

Use reaper, man. It's dirt cheap and has a million options. Plus all the free plugins that come with it, they have a ton of great presets so you can get a professional sound in a very short amount of time. I've been using reaper for about 4 years and I'll never use anything else.

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:14 am 

I checked out the piece of gear you're using and the best it can give your computer is stereo/2 tracks. I recommend this Tascam US1800:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-US-1 ... tads-plaid^32411604641-sku^106506520@ADL4gc-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^18055320641

8 mic inputs + a bunch of line and other inputs, a total of 16 tracks can be sent individually to Reaper. I helped a drummer friend of mine set one of these up to use 10 mic inputs by plugging 2 of them into a mixer like the one you already have and sending the smaller mixer's (100% panned L/R) outputs into 2 line inputs on the Tascam.

And my lyrics are on bandcamp same as yours - the link appears while hovering the mouse to the right of the track title. You were correct, the bass was programmed and the vocals inhaled. Thanks for the detailed review!

Last edited by guitartheist on Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 am 

Oh sorry, I must have forgot to enable javascript on your album page (I have it disabled by default), but I'll check out the lyrics for sure.

Thanks a lot for the Reaper and Tascam recommendations you guys. I'll try to pick up both of those things soon.

Also looking forward to hearing any new submissions.

Reply to topic