Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 pm 

I was thinking. In some reviews, the reviewer says that people will not enjoy this album if they like a different type of metal. I enjoy highly technical death metal (Origin, Brain Drill, Monumental Torment, that kind) and also osdm (Jungle Rot, Bolt Thrower, Decaying, ect). Does anyone else enjoy metal genres that would be considered polar opiates opposites of the other, in terms of whether or not someone would appreciate both or only one?

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Last edited by Cthulhu_Fhtagn on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:45 pm 

I started out with Heavy Metal/Nwobhm/Doom transitioned into Death/Thrash into Black/Grind. Quite honostly metal is the most widely varied genre out there, it has gotten me into so much music that I would never have listened to. However every style of metal comes with its own emotional states and imagery, so not everything will fit your current mood, but I enjoy having a huge collection to match whatever mood I am in... so I don't put on bolt thrower after I listen to a few Saint Vitus albums, as it just would not be right for the moment.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:48 pm 

I enjoy most metal genres to some extent. There's obviously genres I like more than others, but yeah. The qualities that attract me to metal to begin with are pretty universal to metal as a whole, so I've got no problem enjoying say, a good nwobhm album vs a well done tech death album.

Even the genres I like less tend to usually have some stuff that I'll enjoy when it's done well and I'm in the right mood for it.

u_sir_r_a_faggot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:59 pm 

I enjoy everything in metal except for thrash and power metal

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:03 pm 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
and also osdm (Jungle Rot,...)

:lol:

On topic: I listen to many things and am by no means a purist.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:34 pm 

iAm wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
and also osdm (Jungle Rot,...)

:lol:

On topic: I listen to many things and am by no means a purist.

:scratch:

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

AndySlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:42 pm 

Quote:
I enjoy having a huge collection to match whatever mood I am in... so I don't put on bolt thrower after I listen to a few Saint Vitus albums, as it just would not be right for the moment

Agreed to the fullest extent. I take music on a case by case basis, so I hardly find it problematic to listen to Machine Head, Revenge or Necrophagist, albeit not in one sitting. I find being a fan of a "genre" to be a paradox as there's no way I can get behind all of the music, ideals and image of a whole (sub)genre; that said, my preferred variants usually do fall into the more underground black/death/thrash categories but I won't shy away from a good groove metal record just because I don't like the genre tag. I am first and foremost a fan of the music/bands, and the best ones tend to be hard to categorize anyway.

Buprenorphed
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:33 pm 

There are very few types of metal that i dont have some favourites in. Last few albums ive been listening to are by Dissection, Warbringer, Evoken, Iron Angel & Arkona (to name last 5)... and a fair bit of metalcore type stuff.

The only type i dont 'love' too much is like euro PM, yet i have Gamma Rays 'Power Plant' and Heloweens 'Keeper' albums and enjoy them a fair bit...

I feel quite fortunate we have such a varied selection of sounds to enjoy in metal. To a degree, this applies to all music (or most) in general, as i can often find music i can appreciate in all genres, but Metal for me is special in this respect. While having a pretty wide range of sounds that can be so far from each other, theres still something that ties it all together, more than just the label... From the barely-rock synth/ambient stuff to classic heavy metal... And ill listen to all of it :)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 pm 

Yes I do. From rehtaF ruO to Stryper.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:55 pm 

I really think nowadays it's more uncommon for someone to only strictly like one genre or one particular style in a genre. Like when I hear some of these responses.. I'm not shocked, just shows you have a diverse taste... most like everyone else. That's good. but it's not like you are a special snowflake or anything.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:56 pm 

Last summer I commonly played an Anaal Nathrakh album followed by Sonata Arctica's newest. Pretty much what SLK said. Most people do listen to a lot of variety - different styles for different aspects of your personality that they appeal to.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:03 pm 

I like Agalloch, Nightwish, For Today, Cynic, Gorguts...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 pm 

Of course. Black, death, power, heavy, folk, doom, it goes on and on. Why restrict yourself to one? Then again, more mainstream metal listeners typically stick to one, I've seen, like thrash or heavy.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:40 pm 

Everything except nu-metal. But I once liked bands such as Pro-Pain and Biohazard, and will enjoy revisiting them occasionally. I listen to a lot of non-metal too.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:51 pm 

Opus wrote:
rehtaF ruO

Wow, this is unbelievably bad. :(

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 am 

Similar to what some have already said so far, I can't restrict myself to just a genre or two. It boils down to personal preference I suppose. I'd dig a fast chaotic grind band like Gridlink after spinning a dreary slow mournful Worship album. In the process, I may not have a really in-depth knowledge in one genre but I'm comfortable with a wide variety of them.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 am 

For Mikey to say this...I'm afraid to listen to it now.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 am 

Opus wrote:
Yes I do. From rehtaF ruO to Stryper.

I had to do a search to see if that was a real band. Lo and behold, it is.

That sits right up there with Goatpenis and ██████ for worst band names I've ever heard. I expect the music to be just as terrible.

EDIT: Yup. This sucks. This is impressively bad.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:43 am 

I dunno, sounds pretty nice to me. The vocals are goofy but the atmosphere is impressively unique. Almost reminds me of Enmity in a few ways.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:50 am 

Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
polar opiates

I don't like heroin, no matter if it's from Antarctica or not.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:54 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
The vocals are goofy but the atmosphere is impressively unique.

The snare sounds like Mom's knocking on the bedroom door to tell them it's dinner time.

Buprenorphed wrote:
The only type i dont 'love' too much is like euro PM, yet i have Gamma Rays 'Power Plant' and Heloweens 'Keeper' albums and enjoy them a fair bit...

Despite being heavily influential to the typical EuroPM sound, I wouldn't really throw them in with the likes of Stratovarius or Sonata Arctica.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:58 am 

I like everything from black, to death, to doom, to alternative, to ambient...

I also like when bands experiment by bringing polar opiates together.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:06 am 

I can go from Deicide to Electric Wizard to Immortal. Changes in styles don't really phase me.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 am 

I listen to extreme metal mostly, but I have great appreciation for many traditional metal bands, especially early Black Sabbath. There are times when I listen to hardly anything but the so-called USPM bands or other heavy metal. Besides that, I listen to progressive rock and I especially enjoy some classical music. However, most of the metalheads I know are mostly just into whatever niche they happen to be into (most often modern and recent retro extreme metal), and have much less taste for older bands. Metallica and Iron Maiden might be fairly well-received, but little besides that, and even those are merely seen as 'alright stuff'.

Napero wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
polar opiates

Only arctic morphin is true.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:42 am 

Napero wrote:
Cthulhu_Fhtagn wrote:
polar opiates

:o :lol:
I didn't see that! Changed.

Crick wrote:

SadisticOrgasm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:15 am 

I listen to Satanic black metal and again, Christian metal as well.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:21 am 

I like all metal to some extent, I listen to both Sunn O))) and Defeated Sanity. The only genre I don't really listen to, is power metal.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:40 am 

My taste ranges pretty extremely you could say: from Immolation, Kreator, Obscura, Hammerfall to Trivium, Terror, Lamb Of God, Fear Factory and hell even some Limp Bizkit. Why? I need diversity... i'd get sick to death of listening to only a specific genre. And then there's also the nostalgic sentiment for certain bands...

Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am 

I find I can go from listening to something like Aggaloch to Black Dahlia Murder to Fates Warning in a matter of minutes really, to me I'm not really bothered with genre labels, whatever is awesome, I'll listen to.

On that note, I can't stand 99% of the power metal I've heard, I dig alot of fantasy stuff like Cirith Ungol, Bal-Sagoth but power metal as a whole sounds too bland to me.

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm 

Well, I for one listen to entire genres, regardless of sub-genre labeling, because I've found that to be initially labeled in the main genre requires certain elements within the base sound that appeal to me.

I listen, as a whole, to Power Metal, whether it be Symphonic (Rhapsody/of Fire, Blind Gaurdian, Stratovarius, Dragonland, Kaledon, Pathfinder, Dragonforce), Traditional (Helloween, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Hammerfall, Cage, Paragon, Running Wild), Melodic (Mob Rules, Sonata Arctica, Dream Evil, Black Majesty, Thunderstone, Nocturnal Rites) or Progressive (Angra, Kamelot, Angel Dust, Vision Divine, Manticora, Labyrinth, Circle II Circle) simply because, as a base-level classification, they have to be labeled a Power Metal band, and since I love the genre being labeled as such means I automatically enjoy everything.

Same thing for Death Metal, or Thrash Metal, or Black Metal, or even Traditional Heavy Metal. I listen to those genres as a general label, and to be labeled as such you have to have certain elements within your sound to be called such. Going down to the sub-genre label, whether it's Old-School Thrash, Brutal Death, Melodic Heavy or Raw Black, you still need the base level grouping which for me is what matters most. Do I like certain bands more than others? Duh, but I usually find enjoyment in everything because you have to have enough to qualify to be ranked as one to begin with.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
My taste ranges pretty extremely you could say.

Nope. Not sure why some people think listening to 3 or 4 different metal genres means they have some wide, electic taste in music. There's nothing wrong with saying you don't. In fact, it makes you look less pretentious a lot of the time.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 pm 

I have a pretty narrow listening taste. My main shit is Epic Heavy Metal. I can get into Most stuff under the umbrella of Heavy, Speed, Power, Doom and the "lighter" side of Thrash. The extreme genres not so much. I've found that in every subgenre I'm not into, there's say one or two bands that I like.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:17 pm 

I'm experiencing reverse metalling. I started with brutal, satanic black metal, then went to death, then melodeath, now I'm at thrash.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:21 pm 

Ive gone from Death/Black a few years ago to mostly Heavy/Power/Speed now, mostly of the flowery variety...cant help but love catchy chorus's.

But yeh i still listen to all metal genres really

Last edited by Folkemon_ on Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:33 pm 

You don't get much more opposing than power metal and doom metal, and they're my two favorite subgenres.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:38 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
You don't get much more opposing than power metal and doom metal, and they're my two favorite subgenres.

That's not very true and it's a lame hyperbole! bands like Candlemass, Atlantean Kodex, Solstice or Memory Garden easily mixed both genres. Not as opposed as power metal and goregrind.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm 

Of course. That's why I don't listen to anything outside metal. I can find a wide range of emotions between Infernal War and Kamelot.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Not as opposed as power metal and goregrind.

Powergrind. It needs to happen.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:31 pm 

I like black metal and power metal, but honestly, the gulf between us is not so great.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 am 

Traditional metal and power metal are my big things, though I can go straight into thrash no problem. Death metal I don't listen to much, though when I do its typically guys like Autopsy, Dismember, Jungle Rot, the old school stuff. I have little to no love for black metal unless its mixed with thrash or speed metal, and zero love for grindcore; I coulld just never get into it.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next