Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:16 pm 

The August 2008-August 2009 bailout period was a shameful combination of emotional panic and blatant corruption and everyone in Congress who was there then knows it. Whatever the proposed benefits of doing it, "bailout" is a politically toxic term in D.C. The Tea Party groups started nearly a year before Obama was elected but really began picking up steam after Bush's bailout package (TARP), and it was a central theme to their campaign that gave the Republicans the House in 2010. Democrats saw that in advance, which is why Dodd-Frank specifically bans the Federal Reserve from bailing out failing municipalities. Bailouts were never popular with Democrats either; doesn't anyone remember when the Democratic House first voted on the Bush bailout? They voted it down and then rescheduled to vote again when they saw the stock market news. Bailout hatred is pretty bipartisan.

As long as there are still representatives and senators from that time period in Congress I don't think there will be any municipal bailout package for Detroit or any similarly-sized poorly run city. I mean, I suppose if something as big as California failed it would be talked about, but it wouldn't actually happen.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:27 pm 

This is pretty insane, read about it in the newspaper, too. Basically huge packs of stray dogs (largely pitbulls) are roaming around Detroit. This is largely due to people leaving their pets behind after realizing that the city is too far gone.
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/new ... s-20120320

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:04 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
This is pretty insane, read about it in the newspaper, too. Basically huge packs of stray dogs (largely pitbulls) are roaming around Detroit. This is largely due to people leaving their pets behind after realizing that the city is too far gone.

This is true, I spend a decent amount of time down there and during the Summer there are wild dogs everywhere. It's almost dangerous to go walking alone in some areas. It is complete insanity. In some neighborhoods there are so many vacant houses and unkempt areas that the vegetation is starting to take over and it looks like a jungle.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:13 pm 

I heard this on the news in the background and had to share. The other night, THIRTEEN murders. The medical examiner is so overwhelmed/understaffed that some of the dead bodies sat for over 6 hours before they were picked up.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:30 pm 

Holy shit! Really? Thirteen murders in one night, damn that's high, it must be some kind of record or something. Can you imagine being a cop and having to spend six hours guarding a dead body at a crime scene waiting for the M.E. fuck that. You guys need some serious help from Uncle Sam over there.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:12 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
I heard this on the news in the background and had to share. The other night, THIRTEEN murders. The medical examiner is so overwhelmed/understaffed that some of the dead bodies sat for over 6 hours before they were picked up.

I can't find anything on this. Not that I don't believe you, I obviously do, but I would like to read more about this. Is there a link you know about?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:14 pm 

Was on the local news, which also gave me another tasty morsel today. There was a wild cat, a large ocelot-type one hanging around in the city hissing at people. It is so fucking wild down there, even this shit is happening. It was found dead today, likely shot by a paranoid resident (they hate cats in the city, its all about pitbulls). This one I do have a link for, shame how it ended:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/2706217/

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I can't find anything on this. Not that I don't believe you, I obviously do, but I would like to read more about this. Is there a link you know about?

I did some research, I was somewhat wrong. 13 shootings, not 13 murders. The rest of my post is valid, however.

Last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:28 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Diamhea wrote:
Was on the local news, which also gave me another tasty morsel today. There was a wild cat, a large ocelot-type one hanging around in the city hissing at people. It is so fucking wild down there, even this shit is happening. It was found dead today, likely shot by a paranoid resident (they hate cats in the city, its all about pitbulls). This one I do have a link for, shame how it ended:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... g/2706217/

Is being scum some sort of tradition in Detroit or is the city so fucked up that people are degrading to this kind of behavior now?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 pm 

Guess it is tradition. Being white I can't even go to a gas station without dealers pulling up offering me heroin testers. I guess if you want drugs it is an easy place to score, the police force is a joke. One time I pulled out of a CVS parking lot into the WRONG lane with a cop coming right at me, I pulled down a side street and he never even bothered.

Last.fm

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 pm 

That isn't remotely worrying at all, Diamhea. Far worse is that apparently the average emergency response time to any 911 call in Detroit is 60 minutes.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:35 pm 

Sometimes they don't even come at all. They had recently set up a bunch of "virtual precincts" that I guess could field calls but had nobody actually physically there. The idea was to keep more cops on the street. Then the message would get carried to the police and eventually, maybe, they'll show up. This idea was squashed relatively quickly.

I will say the narcotic force is pretty apt. They will stop you for being white and in the hood and fuck with you. I know a couple kids who were pulled over while smoking a bowl. The cops let them finish it, then beat the shit out of them after.

Last.fm

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:

I did some research, I was somewhat wrong. 13 shootings, not 13 murders. The rest of my post is valid, however.

Well regardless, still pretty insane for one night. And now with the ocelot situaton, it conjured up images of a post-apocalyptic city devoid of humans being invaded by nature. Not far off from reality it seems :ugh:

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:21 pm 

Marag wrote:
Is being scum some sort of tradition in Detroit or is the city so fucked up that people are degrading to this kind of behavior now?

Considering Detriot is basically Apocalypse City now, it seems fairly lawless. Not so much that people don't care, it's probably because they care extra-hard, especially about protecting themselves or what they own, what with Detriot being not that far off from a wild west ghost town.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:13 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Sometimes they don't even come at all. They had recently set up a bunch of "virtual precincts" that I guess could field calls but had nobody actually physically there. The idea was to keep more cops on the street. Then the message would get carried to the police and eventually, maybe, they'll show up. This idea was squashed relatively quickly.

I will say the narcotic force is pretty apt. They will stop you for being white and in the hood and fuck with you. I know a couple kids who were pulled over while smoking a bowl. The cops let them finish it, then beat the shit out of them after.

Gotta have those priorities in order. Better to crack down on people who are voluntarily interacting instead of those who are aggressing against others. Makes sense, really. It's great justification for more funding; you can point to the 'successes' of drug busts while whining about the need for more funding because of violent crime rates.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:25 am 

I'm planning on going into southwest Detroit today, I'm sure I'll have another crazy story when I get back (if I get back).

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 pm 

Some more updates. A prisoner was being transported to the district court downtown a couple weeks ago, and was being guarded by only one deputy (should have 2 or more). He broke free, stabbed the dude a lot in the neck with a shiv he made out of a toothbrush or something, took his uniform, snuck out of the court, stole a car. He was on the run for the entire day, ducking through the ruins of the west side of the city. They finally got him but damn, seemed like something out a movie.

and last night, an 8 year old kid was riding his bike, got hit by a car and dragged for almost a mile until he finally dislodged. The driver didn't stick around, naturally.

Last.fm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:08 pm 

Wow, what the fuck.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:11 pm 

Holy fucking wow batman. That shit's crazy man, has there been any word about getting money from big brother and actually fixing shit?

Azmodes wrote:

mayonesa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:47 am 

Everybody likes to bitch about Detroit because it's a proxy for talking about race. But... have you noticed that, for having tons of money, Chicago and Los Angeles are doing much worse?

Detroit has an excuse. It's broke: expect murder. Why are those two other wealthy cities riddled with bullet holes behind the stacked corpses?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:06 pm 

Well bigger cities are always going to have more crime and muder and what not purely because there's more people for both victims and predators. Aside from that and speaking strictly for Chicago here, we have been a haven for corruption and illegal activities for so long now that you probably couldn't stop it even if people actually tried. One thing is for sure, well two actually, the first being before anything can be done this country needs stronger gun laws and two, the government needs people to live in poverty in order for it to functiom in this system. Always has always will.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:49 pm 

Violent gun crime has plummeted in the last twenty years despite the expiration of an "assault weapons" ban and the passage of numerous pro-gun laws at the state level, including the rather large proliferation of concealed carry laws. Stricter gun laws only treat symptoms, not underlying causes (organized crime, persistent poverty, the war on drugs, the dissolution of families in poverty [often as a result of said war on drugs], etc).

mayonesa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Well bigger cities are always going to have more crime and muder and what not purely because there's more people for both victims and predators.

Not all bigger cities have these problems however. I think you were onto something with the idea that there's a lot of corruption in some places.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 pm 

Oh yeah, this happened

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/1 ... 50706.html

Last.fm

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:24 pm 

Man shit is fucked over there for serious. I'm surprised there isn't mass exodus happening, one thing about the Huffpost article though, I actually did hear about the barber shop killings on the news here in Chicago. I don't know if it's cause we're so close or not and this is the first I'm hearing of the other triple homicides or the mall shooting.

Azmodes wrote:

VariedTastes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 pm 

I can't believe people stick around there. Bus tickets are not that expensive.

LongLiveTheNewFlesh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:56 am 

I was born and raised in the metro Detroit area and lived there for around 25 years although I recently moved to Ohio since, yeah, things really have been in a state of dissolution for some time there and it seems to only be getting worse. I wasn't aware of the city filing for bankruptcy (I don't keep up with the news) but I am not surprised even though I don't think it's really going to do any good. Part of a city's problem is its people and I don't think there's enough people in Detroit who give enough of a darn to do anything to improve the city. If everyone did a little something in their tiny corner of the world the city would slowly be elevated to a better state but most people just feed off of the system and it just stays the same or, in Detroit's case, gets worse. The economy would be stimulated if more big businesses would move some work into the city (as there are certainly enough of unemployed there to fill up any job demands a business may need) but, really, who the hell wants to move to Detroit? Most people are bailing as soon as they can (like myself).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:20 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/0 ... 76775.html

And a judge has ruled it as official.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:25 pm 

Wow. If I lived there I'd do everything in my power to jump ship while I could.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm 

We are currently at ~320 murders this year. This puts us on path to be under 350 for the first time in years. Of course, this isn't factoring in the fact that the population drops every year..

Last.fm

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:49 pm 

This is fucking scary. Only a matter of time, more cities go under, the weight of taxes is spread thicker leading to more bankruptcies.... Domino effect later, we are owned by Japan and our children are sent to sweatshops at the age of 4. Better start learning how to disappear

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:57 pm 

^Haha, say whaaat?^

It was my understanding that downtown D-town wasn't too bad, but maybe I was wrong. But yeah, I guess that's what happens when your entire economy is based on something so fleeting (manufacturing).

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:51 pm 

Im a bit of a paranoid

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
^Haha, say whaaat?^

It was my understanding that downtown D-town wasn't too bad, but maybe I was wrong. But yeah, I guess that's what happens when your entire economy is based on something so fleeting (manufacturing).

The downtown isn't really that bad, but the suburban areas are warzones of varying degrees.

Last.fm

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:53 am 

http://godfatherpolitics.com/16114/u-n- ... e-detroit/

Water getting shut off all over. Not an impartial article but interesting nonetheless.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2