Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:31 pm 

Do you live in North America or Europe? Do you have a PS3? Then you deserve my earnest of "fuck you"-s.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:47 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
Does anyone else here play Minecraft? I started playing about 2 weeks ago and I've become addicted.

I've played it on and off since beta, I'll go through a few days where I can't put it down but then I'll get tired of just how randomized and "grindy" it is, in survival anyway. The tech progression is just way too bottlenecked around digging randomly and hoping to stumble upon diamonds. I really think they should change it so diamonds are used for the best armor and weapons and such but aren't necessary for mining the best stuff, making enchantment tables, etc.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm 

yentass wrote:
Do you live in North America or Europe? Do you have a PS3? Then you deserve my earnest of "fuck you"-s.

Hey, at least this means your playthrough will be 100% unspoiled. :)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:57 pm 

DreamOfDarkness wrote:
Let's see how much I can play Amnesia before quitting while crying like a baby :D

Good luck. I've been playing horror game for just over a decade now, and while I've gotten genuinely scared at a handful games, I have always pressed on valiantly, but Amnesia broke me for like a year, I couldn't play it for more than 15 minutes at a time and I had to lay off for a few days to recover. I realize that horror is very subjective (some people even get scared with Fatal Frame or Dead Space!) but, holy fuck, that is supremely (though blatantly flawed) scary.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:59 pm 

People need to be more aware of the games they made before Amnesia, because the Penumbra series is EXCELLENT, and in my opinion way better than Amnesia, which I didn't have the motivation to finish.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 pm 

I have the Penumbra Collection collecting metaphorical dust somewhere on my computer, I'll have to do my gaming homework (that is a thing starting NOW) and finally get to play those, but right now I'm pushing through Indigo Prophecy, because I don't have a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, so it will have to do.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:20 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
right now I'm pushing through Indigo Prophecy

I am so sorry.

Quote:
because I don't have a PS3 to play Heavy Rain, so it will have to do.

The one advantage of not having a PS3.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:34 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Quote:

:lol:

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:51 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
right now I'm pushing through Indigo Prophecy

I am so sorry.

Quote:

Oh really? I was under the impression that Heavy Rain was actually good. Is it any better than this? Indigo has been really underwhelming so far. I expected QTEs but I did not expect QTEs lasting 4 minutes each. I'll finish it though, because ehh.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:29 am 

failsafeman wrote:
stickyshooZ wrote:
Does anyone else here play Minecraft? I started playing about 2 weeks ago and I've become addicted.

I've played it on and off since beta, I'll go through a few days where I can't put it down but then I'll get tired of just how randomized and "grindy" it is, in survival anyway. The tech progression is just way too bottlenecked around digging randomly and hoping to stumble upon diamonds. I really think they should change it so diamonds are used for the best armor and weapons and such but aren't necessary for mining the best stuff, making enchantment tables, etc.

It is kind of grindy, I agree. Also, the lack of having any clear objective can be kind of a downfall for some people. Have you explored the Netherworld? It's pretty neat.

I have the benefit of playing with a few friends, so we can kind of make our own objectives, which is nice. But I definitely agree on the part you mentioned about diamonds being sort of the be-all-end-all of mining goals.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:26 am 

Nochielo wrote:
Oh really? I was under the impression that Heavy Rain was actually good. Is it any better than this? Indigo has been really underwhelming so far. I expected QTEs but I did not expect QTEs lasting 4 minutes each. I'll finish it though, because ehh.

Heavy Rain is probably not as bad as Indigo Prophecy, but it's still terrible. Nothing but QTEs the entire time and the story has the stupidest plot twist ever.

Indigo Prophecy takes the cake though. A game made entirely of QTEs, with a story that starts intriguing, then... well, you'll see. David Cage couldn't write a decent story to save his life. Truly the biggest hack in gaming. Quantic Dream can die in a fire.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:27 am 

Responding to myself as usual, I bought Divekick last night and played it with my wife, it was stupidly simple awesome fun. Could be a great drunken fun game.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 am 

Nochielo wrote:

Heavy Rain is more mature and has more money thrown into it. If you don't like Indigo Prophecy, you still might like Heavy Rain, but I doubt it.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 pm 

I'm totally with Morrigan on this one. When Indigo Prophecy came out I think my brother bought it immediately and was really into it; I watched him play for an hour or two and couldn't believe that this was an actual game that people played. QTE's are one of the most frustrating parts of recent games so to make a game where that makes up the entirety of the gameplay was just....ugh. It kind of reminds me of those vaguely interactive FMV games from the 90's.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:35 pm 

Yeah those games are modern-day Dragon's Lair :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:46 pm 

skip Heavy Rain and all that garbage. Just play Deadly Premonition before anything.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:47 pm 

Indigo Prophecy was very promising when I started playing it. I kinda liked the idea of an "interactive movie" where your actions affect the plot, and it was all sufficiently intriguing until ancient Mayan conspiracies and evil artificial intelligences and weirdo fucking Matrix-esque fight scenes popped up. When that happened, everything my brain could think of was "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU".

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
skip Heavy Rain and all that garbage. Just play Deadly Premonition before anything.

So says Mr Frog.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm 

:lol: I can't get over how bizarre and yet ludicrously charming that game was.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:47 pm 

Well, I guess I don't feel like I'm missing out on a great game for not having a PS3 anymore, thanks guys. Yeah I just got to the part where the Mayan thing is revealed (after the church) but I expected that because I recognized the language used by the hooded dude and the brush with the police (the one just before the church) was beyond retarded. On the plus side, I realized I like trip hop (beyond Akira Yamaoka) due to this brilliant song:

Anyway, Deadly Premonition is the shit, one of my top 5 videogames ever, despite what anyone says. One of the best endings ever and the gameplay is NOT broken as everyone argues, it just feels like an unpolished Resident Evil 4 which isn't bad

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:10 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

It is kind of grindy, I agree. Also, the lack of having any clear objective can be kind of a downfall for some people. Have you explored the Netherworld? It's pretty neat.

I have the benefit of playing with a few friends, so we can kind of make our own objectives, which is nice. But I definitely agree on the part you mentioned about diamonds being sort of the be-all-end-all of mining goals.

Nah, I never got to the netherworld because by the time I finally got enough diamonds to make a pickaxe I just didn't care anymore. I've played with friends in the past, but this most recent time I picked it up, I was solo. I switched to Terraria yesterday actually, which I'd played like a year ago with HellBlazer but put down after reaching the content boundary. Since then it's had plenty of updates, so I'm starting from scratch and getting caught up. It's way better about providing goals, what with 8 or so bosses and tons and tons of weapons, spells, armor, etc., plus shit doesn't all degrade like it does in Minecraft. Really I think Terraria is better for solo challenge-oriented play, while Minecraft is better for more creative co-operative play.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:17 pm 

stickyshooZ wrote:

Try playing a survival multiplayer server with 24-hour deathbans. The sheer thrill of designing a base that's tough for people to find, fighting off home invasions, home-invading people, and the multitude of awesome ways you can interact with people gives the game a whole new layer, alongside the drive to play smart and resourcefully to avoid death. Once I started SMPing two years ago I've barely touched single player at all.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:35 pm 

A friend of mine traded his copy of the original NES Megaman for Steel Battalion, controller and all. Anyone try playing that game?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:53 am 

I got my first platinum for Devil May Cry 3. So yeah I did end up beating it on every difficulty.

Bow down.

I can't get behind Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain at all personally. If I want QTE games, Give me insane Hindu/Buddhism mixed in with maximized crazy sci-fi elements SSJ5 DBZ styled action and Legend of the Galactic Heroes / Gunbuster sized space battles.

Kratos = Asura's cereal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:07 am 

Witcher 1 and 2 are on sale for $2.50 and $5 respectively on Steam this weekend. I tried playing Witcher 1 back when it came out but my PC at the time could barely handle it which made the timing-based combat pretty frustrating. However the story is pretty cool, and the second game looks to be a big improvement gameplay-wise, so I snagged both.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:51 am 

I'm playing The Wonderful 101. This is pretty damn good, might even be the best thing Platinum Games have ever put out if it keeps up the pace.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm 

Wow Square can't even get an HD remake right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhi7O565Ouo

Their "improvements" to the music is just cluttering up the sound and adding extra tracks in the background.

All they had to do was make it in HD.

Reminds me of when the Silent Hill HD collection was ruined with new voice acting.

BarryLamarBonds wrote:
jRPGs have migrated to portable consoles this generation, it seems.

I think this is very much true. The consoles feel they have to add flair. They don't do that to portables. The consoles also think you want to move around the battle area and mash buttons. Why?

The 3DS has Soul Hackers, Fire Emblem, and Shin Megami Tensei IV. I barely touched Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei IV, but Soul Hackers is great. The other 2 really look solid and have good production value but remembers it's a JRPG.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:43 pm 

Soul Hackers is the worst of the 3 and it's still damn cool.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:02 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Witcher 1 and 2 are on sale for $2.50 and $5 respectively on Steam this weekend. I tried playing Witcher 1 back when it came out but my PC at the time could barely handle it which made the timing-based combat pretty frustrating. However the story is pretty cool, and the second game looks to be a big improvement gameplay-wise, so I snagged both.

The writing on Witcher is pretty damn sexist though. It really hits you over the head with a shovel with it. And then takes a bulldozer and runs you over just in case you didn't get it the first time. Really cringe inducing, especially since it feels that the main character is kind of a mary sue for the main writer.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:12 pm 

I can't really disagree about the first one, but the second had a number of really excellent, strong female characters, none the least of whom was Saskia. I mean, sure, CDPR is nowhere near Bioware's progessiveness when it comes to gender dichotomization (or lack thereof) but I disagree that they pummel you into acceptance of atavistic hegemonic masculinity at every turn. A serious dearth of homosexual characters is about the only fair criticism that can be leveled against Twitcher2's representation of minorities, in my opinion.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Last edited by darkeningday on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:20 pm 

MacMoney wrote:

The writing on Witcher is pretty damn sexist though. It really hits you over the head with a shovel with it. And then takes a bulldozer and runs you over just in case you didn't get it the first time. Really cringe inducing, especially since it feels that the main character is kind of a mary sue for the main writer.

I've been playing through the first Witcher and so far my impression is that women are only present in the game to provide it with tits.

darkeningday wrote:
CDPR is nowhere near Bioware's progessivenes

It's also nowhere near its shittyness

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:46 pm 

MacMoney wrote:

Yeah, that turned me off from playing Witcher 2. Well, that and the shitty combat and shitty menus. xD Too bad, it could have been really awesome.

I mean Dragon's Crown has some pretty overt sexism at times, but at least the gameplay is fun and addictive.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:59 pm 

Twitcher2 really isn't sexist. It also isn't necessary to play the first to enjoy the second.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 pm 

How is Witcher sexist? Never played it. I know it's an action RPG and I know it has romances in it. Are the girls there just little sex slaves with no personality?

Something like Mass Effect or Dragon Age with male and female romances is cool. And a lot of those NPCs have personality.

If it tries to be a serious RPG but is blatant fan service, that's dumb.

Something like Dragon's Crown is supposed to be over the top and silly with fun gameplay, so its fanservice is just fine.

In context, if the game says "Don't take this seriously" that would mean that anything that could offend shouldn't be taken seriously. Stereotypes in Street Fighter or Punch Out = LOL but if Fight Night were to have them, not funny.

Nochielo wrote:

Yeah it is pretty cool. Better than most modern console JRPGs. It took me a long time to get used to the gameplay. You can't grind levels. Leveling up your main character is just a small portion of progression. You have to fuse demons and those demons level up through fusion. I'm still not getting the hang of earning money. I know if I say the right things to demons I get some cash. I don't know if there's an easier way to get money though.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:17 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Darkeningday already summed up my thoughts about the sexism, but how do you figure Geralt is a mary sue?
unique abilites, appearance and good with woman I'll give you, but those are superficial elements.
As the story advances, he gets physically and mentally bested on plenty of occasions, most of the people you meet are completely indifferent towards him and his plot importance is debatable at best.
He's constantly kept out of the loop by the people with real power (something he never obtains) and without spoiling anything specific, the take away message from the series so far has been "you ain't changing shit in the end, boy".

What the writers of the novels/games did, was take what would be a typical sword and sorcery wish fulfillment protagonist (see the superficial elements), then deconstructed it thoroughly.
The way he's handled is actually really refreshing, hence why I took offence.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:17 pm 

MacMoney wrote:

The writing on Witcher is pretty damn sexist though. It really hits you over the head with a shovel with it. And then takes a bulldozer and runs you over just in case you didn't get it the first time.

I haven't played the first game, but I never noticed anything like this in the Witcher 2.

darkeningday wrote:
I can't really disagree about the first one, but the second had a number of really excellent, strong female characters, none the least of whom was Saskia. I mean, sure, CDPR is nowhere near Bioware's progessiveness when it comes to gender dichotomization (or lack thereof) but I disagree that they pummel you into acceptance of atavistic hegemonic masculinity at every turn. A serious dearth of homosexual characters is about the only fair criticism that can be leveled against Twitcher2's representation of minorities, in my opinion.

This sums it up pretty well.

Either way, I'm very much looking forward to the third installment - I loved the Witcher 2, so I'm hoping no. 3 is as good or better.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:17 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
Nochielo wrote:

Yeah it is pretty cool. Better than most modern console JRPGs. It took me a long time to get used to the gameplay. You can't grind levels. Leveling up your main character is just a small portion of progression. You have to fuse demons and those demons level up through fusion. I'm still not getting the hang of earning money. I know if I say the right things to demons I get some cash. I don't know if there's an easier way to get money though.

Gameplay has a learning curve, you are going to get your ass handed to you more often than you'd think, and some times in really, really cheap ways. You can't grind, enemies give far too little experience but bosses will give you fucktons. Human characters are just short of worthless, demons are the only way to deal reasonable damage. In fact your character is basically a bloated, shiny jugular vein seeing that some bosses will target your character because losing him means game over. And no, as far as I know that is the way to make money. You can put your money in the bank and get some interest but you have to deposit a lot to make it worthwhile. Have you finished the game?

Other handheld SMT games are far better, Devil Survivor is excellent and IV has been an absolute joy to play, it's very similar to Soul Hackers in many aspects but with many upgrades.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm 

I remember it being vaguely sexist. The women are all attractive and often wear somewhat skimpy outfits, and the game makes it clear that bedding women is sort of a minigame of sorts. I didn't play through the whole first game but from what I remember the female characters weren't any less interesting than the male ones and there were some really neat ones as well. You could just, well, bang them, if you put the effort into it.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:31 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I remember it being vaguely sexist. The women are all attractive and often wear somewhat skimpy outfits, and the game makes it clear that bedding women is sort of a minigame of sorts. I didn't play through the whole first game but from what I remember the female characters weren't any less interesting than the male ones and there were some really neat ones as well. You could just, well, bang them, if you put the effort into it.

Gypaetus wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

The writing on Witcher is pretty damn sexist though. It really hits you over the head with a shovel with it. And then takes a bulldozer and runs you over just in case you didn't get it the first time.

I haven't played the first game, but I never noticed anything like this in the Witcher 2.

Witcher 1 you collected a card almost every time you had sex with a woman. Geralt gets laid a ton. In the second game it's far less so, and there are no cards to go with it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:45 am 

I wonder if that'll be all over Cyberpunk. It's all too easy to squeeze in lots of sex in cyberpunk sci-fi. lol

Not sure why Dragon's Crown has spawned so much heat over that debate though... Mai Shiranui's been around since 1993!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 507, 508, 509, 510, 511, 512, 513 ... 940  Next