Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:10 am 

Check Faustcoven for black/doom! Maybe start with the last one, it's quite shorter than their previous.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Looking for a mix of black metal and hardcore punk. The only band I really know is Night Hag.

How about Aksumite?
Spoiler: show

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
The full length Permafrost from 2008 probably has more fucked up vocals than the new one, the 2006 one might be even weirder, but I didn't like the music as much. Also I just listened to Besatt's latest album (Tempus Apocalypsis) again and while the style is a lot more aggressive or "brutal" his vocals are some of the most morbid inhuman screams I've heard in awhile, so maybe check that out too.

This is probably the slowest song on the album, but it's a perfect black metal anthem:

Can't find the exact Permafrost song I was looking for, not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for, but they use some crazy laughter and screaming sometimes. Anyway here's an example:

I didn't like the first one so much BUT thanks to you mentioning the band, I discovered a true gem of a band called Massemord (through Similar Artists tab) - it's a fucking shame I just learned of their existence, since the band id from my hometowm... Anyway if you never heard it, here's a brilliant song:

I enjoy the vocals on the Permafrost song you recommended, but the Music seems somehow a little bit uninteresting - but maybe giving it just one listen is unfair - I'm surely gonna give a couple more songs from this band a try anyway.

And a big thank you for the contibutions, I really appreciate it!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:42 am 

No problem, the new Permafrost is a lot more interesting I think. I like the Polish Massemord a lot as well but I prefer the Whore of Hate album and the EP that came right after it. They just came out with a new album that I need to get around to listening to eventually.

Edit: oh yeah check out Poland's Furia because it's 4 of the 5 members of Massemord's other band and I think I like Furia even more.

Hellgunk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:59 pm 

Faustcoven is pretty cool stuff man, thanks for the recommendation!

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:50 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
Looking for a mix of black metal and hardcore punk. The only band I really know is Night Hag.

Bit late here but check out Black Monolith. It's like a slightly blackened His Hero is Gone
http://blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/

Blackmold's got some great moments. Member(s?) of Huldrekall.
http://blackmold.bandcamp.com/track/reign-in-filth

Communion of Theives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9_YNN13Qo

And you probably know Vhol already but if not then yeah, check out Vhol.

Edit: also check Doctorshopper out, their Degenerate Utopia is pretty solid

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am 

So does anyone know if there is any work on a new blackdeath album? The only info I can find on the band is about their ongoing tours.

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:10 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Zügellos!!! Best fucking band I've found this month.

Zuegellos.bandcamp.com

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:56 pm 

Grave Desecrator

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 pm 

Can anyone recommend a BM band like Drowning the Light? I want lo-fi black metal with thick atmosphere and masked melody.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:54 pm 

Drowning the Light always makes me want to listen to Moon (Australia) and vice versa.

You'll probably like Moon if you're a Xasthur fan as well.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:28 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
Drowning the Light always makes me want to listen to Moon (Australia) and vice versa.

You'll probably like Moon if you're a Xasthur fan as well.

Moon is a decent suggestion, unfortunately I already have them. The band isn't quite as DTL-esque as I'm looking for either. Maybe I'm seeking more along the lines of DSBM. Not sure exactly what it is, but Moon lacks the 'mystique' I seek.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:34 am 

Worth a try at least. That's the closest I've found to the same feel as DtL I guess. I'd be curious to what others come up with, as I like DtL's sound as well.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Can anyone recommend a BM band like Drowning the Light? I want lo-fi black metal with thick atmosphere and masked melody.

Min Kniv might work.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:55 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
No problem, the new Permafrost is a lot more interesting I think. I like the Polish Massemord a lot as well but I prefer the Whore of Hate album and the EP that came right after it. They just came out with a new album that I need to get around to listening to eventually.

Edit: oh yeah check out Poland's Furia because it's 4 of the 5 members of Massemord's other band and I think I like Furia even more.

I personally think it is brilliant, but a little detached from their earlier work, so if that's what you prefer then perchance you won't like it as much. Do give it a try anyways. Furia is great, but I like Massemord better. Heh, so I guess it doesn't make sense to mention FDS, Cssaba, Morowe or Seagulls Insane and Swans Deceased Mining Out the Void (more post-metal-eque I think...) as you most likely know all of them already? :) I believe they're all Nihil's projects, but Cssaba is probably musically the closest to Massemord and Furia out of the aforementioned bands.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:59 am 

t1337Dude wrote:

I have a lot of DTL releases but I still fail to listen to them very often... Anyway perhaps Vardan (Italy) Striborg & maybe Canis Dirus will work. It's not that easy to find any example songs of Vardan especially from the new albums, but Moribundcult.com has a streaming sample and there's a couple older songs on youtube. EDIT: actually you can listen to this entire Vardan album here: http://www.moribundcult.com/Artists/Vardan/Vardan.html not sounding too bad at all so far.

mirageasylum wrote:
I personally think it is brilliant, but a little detached from their earlier work, so if that's what you prefer then perchance you won't like it as much. Do give it a try anyways. Furia is great, but I like Massemord better. Heh, so I guess it doesn't make sense to mention FDS, Cssaba, Morowe or Seagulls Insane and Swans Deceased Mining Out the Void (more post-metal-eque I think...) as you most likely know all of them already? :) I believe they're all Nihil's projects, but Cssaba is probably musically the closest to Massemord and Furia out of the aforementioned bands.

I haven't checked out any more of their side projects actually, they are very busy! I just noticed today that Moribund got some new stuff and have their 777 sale going again so I'm going to pick up the Massemord album and Furia EP along with a couple other things.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:53 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:

Klage and Kältetod and Kargvint

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:24 am 

I'm looking for aggressive black metal with darker atmosphere similar to the drums in paysage d'hiver & darkspace; fast constant snare blasts, but while focusing more on fast aggressive riffs than all out atmosphere.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:12 am 

bodhiUXO wrote:
I'm looking for aggressive black metal with darker atmosphere similar to the drums in paysage d'hiver & darkspace; fast constant snare blasts, but while focusing more on fast aggressive riffs than all out atmosphere.
Would Endstille fit the bill? It's still atmosphere-based, but more riff-oriented than Darkspace and such.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:47 am 

Endstille sounds right, I was thinking the new Demoncy album "Enthroned is the Night"

Also I just got Evil - Hammerstorm the other day and I love it. It's got a lot of old Burzum influence for sure, but there's a lot less repetition in the guitar riffs and more interesting drumming too. Great old school black metal that will make you headbang.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:35 pm 

bodhiUXO wrote:

If I understand correctly, you're looking for blast-laden, aggressive black metal with a dark atmosphere. Hopefully one of these will suffice:

Thunderbolt (though I suggest Sons of the Darkness for a more atmospheric album)

Tsatthoggua

Infernal War

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:44 pm 

Oh shit yes i forgot about Thunderbolt, good call, haven't really checked out the others, but i will.

Recently my main music laptop crashed and i lost most of my music, so i'm hoping to expand my black metal collection again, i hope nobody minds if i list what i managed to rip from cds and salvage before my notebook crashed:

Bathory
Blood of Kingu
Burzum (hvis/filoso)
Cultes des Ghoules
Darkspace
Dispirit
Drudkh
Ekpyrosis (free zeitgeist single download recorded years ago, very good stuff)
Geistus (YOB frontman BM demo project)
Hate Forest
Ildjarn
Inquisition
Lutomysl
Midnight Odyssey
Negative Plane
Paysage d'Hiver
The Ruins of Beverast (rain upon the impure in particular)
S.V.E.S.T.
Taake
Teitanblood
Temple Nightside
Ulver
Void Meditation Cult
Weakling

i couldn't remember what else i had worth re-adding, if anybody has two cents they like to toss in the hat please by all means go for it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 am 

I approve your list, but it needs a lot more Finland, some Germany, & Urgehal!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm 

You have a fair amount of murky, dark stuff like Cultes des Ghoules, Ekpyrosis, Inquisition, Negative Plane, S.V.E.S.T., Teitanblood and Void Meditation Cult. So are you into bands like Proclamation, Diocletian, Archgoat and Nocturnal Blood (especially recommended, it's like better Teitanblood)? Might want to try Ekthros aswell.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:13 pm 

I got one kind of specific now guys: I'm looking for Black metal and Black/doom (who are more black than doom) bands who evoke the sound and atmosphere of De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas but slowed down heavily.

bodhiUXO
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:18 am 

That description immediately made me think of Nortt.

http://youtu.be/mZgguxDRSmA

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:20 am 

I kind of want to say Celestial Bloodshed but they're not really all that slow. Well, the riffs/drums are midpaced to fast usually, but the vocal delivery is sort of Attila-like and drawn out.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:39 am 

Many of these new Norwegian bands like Celestial Bloodshed are very much inspired by De Mysteriis and evoke similar atmosphere. Mare is not entirely slow either, but fits the bill, as they have very plodding songs.

Kaosritual/Aptorian Demon also work, though they're not exactly as you described, as they're not entirely slow.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 am 

dystopia4 wrote:

I checked out Night Hag. Perhaps, some Okkultokrati might help?

Necromaniac99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

shouvince wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

I checked out Night Hag. Perhaps, some Okkultokrati might help?

Or Raspberry Bulbs ?

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm 

Looking for some black metal, vocals preferably deeper than the typical black metal. Plenty of melody and good hooks and clean and good production is a plus but it can be more lo fi. Anyone any suggestions?

I'm not really up to scratch with black metal, the only black metal CD's I own are by Rotting Christ(hardly fully black metal) and Weapon who are more blackened death. I do like the atmosphere it creates, it's a nice contrast to the visceral crushing atmosphere in death metal.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:05 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
Looking for some black metal, vocals preferably deeper than the typical black metal. Plenty of melody and good hooks and clean and good production is a plus but it can be more lo fi. Anyone any suggestions?

I'm not really up to scratch with black metal, the only black metal CD's I own are by Rotting Christ(hardly fully black metal) and Weapon who are more blackened death. I do like the atmosphere it creates, it's a nice contrast to the visceral crushing atmosphere in death metal.

Hmm... first thing came to mind were Feigd. Atmospheric black metal that fits your description pretty well. Jan's vocals are deeper than the norm and might appeal to your request. Check out the debut album though the two demos are great also.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Fe ... ger/382613

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:21 pm 

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for thanks STORMM, anymore suggestions?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:33 pm 

SadisticGratification wrote:
That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for thanks STORMM, anymore suggestions?

Indeed, try Sear Bliss, all their albums apart from the last one are well worth checking out. Again the vocals have a somewhat lower blackened rasp.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:54 pm 

Just while I am on, here is a nice little debut I have been digging a lot lately from this rather unknown Czech horde. They remind me of Master's Hammer in places -

Enjoy.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:38 pm 

bodhiUXO wrote:

Darkness are a band I tend to mention when I think of the above two bands you mentioned. I think they have a similar style and atmosphere though his work was sadly overlooked. The below clips are from the one and only full length and the drumming is insane to say the least. If you want it slight slower check out the earlier demos. Wish a label would rerelease his work.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Many of these new Norwegian bands like Celestial Bloodshed are very much inspired by De Mysteriis and evoke similar atmosphere. Mare is not entirely slow either, but fits the bill, as they have very plodding songs.

Kaosritual/Aptorian Demon also work, though they're not exactly as you described, as they're not entirely slow.

iamntbatman wrote:
I kind of want to say Celestial Bloodshed but they're not really all that slow. Well, the riffs/drums are midpaced to fast usually, but the vocal delivery is sort of Attila-like and drawn out.

Thanks for the recs guys but whilst they are similar to what I'm asking for I already know (and love!) most the Nidrosian bands.

And thanks for the Nortt rec bodhiUXO I will check them out as soon as possible.

MrJordeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 am 

Looking for more French Black Metal similar to Sombre Chemin/Peste Noire.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:29 am 

MrJordeh wrote:
Looking for more French Black Metal similar to Sombre Chemin/Peste Noire.

How do you find Vociferian and Insane Vesper?

Arkha Sva is Japanese, but there is certain flamboyance in their music that reminds me of Peste Noire's debut.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:38 pm 

Necromaniac99 wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:

Or Raspberry Bulbs ?

Bone Awl probably hits the black metal part better than Bulbs.

Also check out

Hotbild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xHFATGeDGw

Dodsangel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f50f-o03hqo

Abyssgale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EziPWgIbNBQ

harassor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOpl8vaCNg

Witch in Her Tomb

http://primeeggsamplerecords.bandcamp.c ... n-her-tomb

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 231  Next