Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:30 pm 

I am just listening to Laibach's cover of Europe's "The Final Countdown", and it kind of gave me the idea for this thread. What are the catchiest hooks from 80s hard rock/glam that keep coming back into your head after decades and that you will probably never get rid of?

For me the two obvious winners are the aforementioned "The Final Countdown" and Van Halen's "Jump", both for their sugary synth lead that is just so damn catchy that they get stuck in your head for decades. Yes, I said decades, because I am living proof, I first heard them in the 80s and they STILL pop into my head occasionally and don't go away for days. I don't know if I should love or hate these guys for writing such persistent hooks. Probably hate. ;)

What are your prime examples?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

Van Halen's "Panama" always stuck out to me way more than "Jump." The latter is okay I guess.

I know U2 isn't really hard rock much less glam, but some of their 80s stuff still sticks out to me. I can recall the Edge's echo pedal off of "Where The Streets Have No Name" pretty fondly.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:34 pm 

There are plenty of 1980s 'hair metal' songs I enjoy, whether performed by bands considered metal enough to be included on this site (Skid Row) or not (Guns and Roses).

But possibly the best of them all is Whitesnake's "Still of the Night."

Onikage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:02 pm 

Ratt - Round and round, the whole song is really catchy, and Ratt is one of the few hair metal bands I like.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hmmm...Europe's "Rock The Night" comes to mind. The chorus is pretty addictive. Some of Def Leppard's glam songs (ie Armageddon It, Pour Some Sugar On Me, Rock of Ages, Bringin On The Heartbreak, Photograph) have some solidly hooky momenta in them too.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:17 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:

This guy stole my vote. Add "Crying in the Rain", and you know why 1987 is a good album.

Add some Icon, espcially Straight Between the Eyes, and selected tracks by Kingdom Come, and you've got it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:18 pm 

The two that immediately came to mind were Round and Round by Ratt and Dream Warriors by Dokken. Both are two of my favorite songs from the hair band era.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:50 pm 

Glam era Tygers if Pan Tang has long been a favourite of mine. Their track Forgive and Forget has one of the catchiest sing along chorus's ever. Infact, their Wreck-Age album is easily one of the best glam era albums out there.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:58 pm 

Love most be shone for King Kobra's "Mean Street Machine".

I first heard this song a decade ago and it still periodically comes back to me.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm 

Napero wrote:
Add "Crying in the Rain", and you know why 1987 is a good album.

Yes, another Whitesnake classic.

Subrick wrote:
Dream Warriors by Dokken

I was all set to make a dumb joke asking whether the song had anything to do with the third Freddy Kruger movie, but then I found out it actually does! I guess I don't know much about Dokken, but after watching that video, I'm pretty sure I heard the song back in the day.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 pm 

Speaking of Dokken, the main riffs for "Into The Fire" are just cool.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 pm 

Possibly too metal for this thread, but Tredegar's song "Dead to Rights" is catchy as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0g8nEBxVHk
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:38 pm 

Dream Warriors is the fuckin' bomb.

Also She's Gone by Steelheart.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:07 pm 

Lets not forget Judas Priests "Turbo" album... I love the synth opening for Out in the Cold.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:13 pm 

I guess I'm the only one in this thread who doesn't actually enjoy these kinds of songs popping into my head...

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm 

Kiss Me Deadly by Lita Ford is the catchiest for me.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:26 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT68Z_Hz9xY

The B'zz, "Too Much To Ask For."

This forgotten '83 FM radio hit is an obscure choice but man, I just LOVED this song when it was out. Sounds almost like some of the late 90's pop-punk stuff in a way. That guitar riff is just infectious, you could listen to this all day, and it just makes you feel good all over. I dunno, I kind of wish these guys had stuck around longer. I used to rock out to this when I was a teenybopper (circa 83.)

Ratt and Dokken had some great stuff too of course. Loved "Round and Round" in particular. And I was and still am a big fan of George Lynch's guitar work.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:00 pm 

Marillion's Kayleigh is poppy enough to be mentioned, right?

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:28 pm 

Oh goddamnit. This thread just reminded me of this incredibly catchy glam band I used to like, but I can't remember their name or any of their songs. Shit. I remember them being really fast and shreddy with like super compressed drums. Oh god, that could be anyone. Pretty metal actually, they may be on here, like a more glammed up Cacophony or something. I think Metal Inquisition used to make fun of them.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 am 

Perhaps you're thinking of Nitro?

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:41 am 

Subrick wrote:
Perhaps you're thinking of Nitro?

The Freight TraaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:25 am 

That song is so terrible that it's amazing. Easily one of my favorites from the hair band era solely for how ludicrous it is. Considering that I cannot stand Michael Angelo Batio as a guitarist (listen to those fucking solos. It's just mindless shredding.), me liking anything he's involved in is a miraculous feat, but the wonderful combination of every hair band cliche possible with the ridiculous music video lead to one of my favorite shitty songs.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:00 am 

Subrick wrote:
That song is so terrible that it's amazing. Easily one of my favorites from the hair band era solely for how ludicrous it is. Considering that I cannot stand Michael Angelo Batio as a guitarist (listen to those fucking solos. It's just mindless shredding.), me liking anything he's involved in is a miraculous feat, but the wonderful combination of every hair band cliche possible with the ridiculous music video lead to one of my favorite shitty songs.

:lol:

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 am 

Yes, it's Nitro. Thank you! Now my contribution to this thread is Hot, Wet Dripping with Sweat.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:26 am 

Napero wrote:
ChineseDownhill wrote:

This guy stole my vote.

Mine, too. "Still of the Night" and that atmospheric break in the middle is amazing.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am 

That Nitro song (and video) is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:13 pm 

The chorus of Autograph's 'All I'm Gonna Take' gets stuck in my head quite often. Gotta love glam synths.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:13 pm 

Any Eye of the Tiger covers out there?

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:31 am 

Alice Coopers "Poison" is one catchy mothefucker.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:40 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Alice Coopers "Poison" is one catchy mothefucker.

Oh, God no. Alice's voice just didn't work with that kind of music. Maybe with a different singer, but with him, it's terrible.

I always found You're All I Need by Motley Crue to be catchy and hilarious. Such a romantic sounding songs with lyrics right out of a Misfits song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4935yaK-FM

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:38 pm 

For me:

Alice Cooper - Freedom (a shame that album is so underrated)

Motley Crue - Live Wire

Wasp - Wild Child

Ozzy Osbourne - A Shot in the Dark

Yngwie Malmsteen - Crystal Ball

Thor - Energy (from Rock n Roll Nightmare)

Dokken - Dream Warriors (from Nightmare on Elm Street 3)

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:39 pm 

I am all about this chorus
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 am 

Subrick wrote:

For someone who tried to take high-pitched shrieky singing to an extreme, Jim Gillette not very good at it at all. His pitch control and projection are absolutely nonexistent, he wanders all over the place in higher notes and can't deliver any sort of power below middle C. He has to layer himself over and over to cover up how weak his voice is. You put him next to someone like Midnight or even Mike Sanders and it's obvious how utterly terrible he is. Also has anyone mentioned that his hair makes him look like a Pomeranian? Because it totally does. This song is really not particularly terrible by Nitro standards though; it's a more or less tolerable forgery of Judas Priest. Now something like "Machine Gunn Eddie" [sic] on the other hand has to be heard to be believed.

Winter Rose were a pretty generic glam band that had three things going for them: good guitar solos, GREAT vocals by James LaBrie and one awesome song, "Asylum City". Now "Asylum City", despite being made by a hair band, isn't really a glam song (it's a metal song through and through) but I'm going to post it anyway because it rules:

Well "Thrill of the Night" was also a pretty decent chunk of hair metal silliness but it doesn't absolutely kill like "Asylum City" does. If the whole album sounded like this song it would have been a trad metal classic.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

The_Great_God_Pan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT68Z_Hz9xY

The B'zz, "Too Much To Ask For."

This forgotten '83 FM radio hit is an obscure choice but man, I just LOVED this song when it was out. Sounds almost like some of the late 90's pop-punk stuff in a way. That guitar riff is just infectious, you could listen to this all day, and it just makes you feel good all over. I dunno, I kind of wish these guys had stuck around longer. I used to rock out to this when I was a teenybopper (circa 83.)

Shi-hit! What a great find! This is just awesome, thanks for posting man. I've been listening to more songs by the band on YouTube and it is overall amazing. Is the album available on CD anywhere? I'd just love to get my hands on a copy of it.

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:58 pm 

Photograph

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
The chorus of Autograph's 'All I'm Gonna Take' gets stuck in my head quite often. Gotta love glam synths.

Major respect for the Autograph mention! That's a band that tends to go unnoticed in the glam scene. I'd say "Turn Up The Radio" is a more obvious contender though.

One song that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is Firehouse's "Overnight Sensation". That song is certainly among the catchiest I've heard from glam/hair metal. Likewise, Winger's "Seventeen" is another good choice.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 pm 

She's Gone - Steelheart. LAAAAAAADYYYYYY

Babe - Styx

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:03 pm 

Finally someone else mentions She's Gone! LADDDDDDYYYY! OH! LAAAAHHHAAAAAAHHHDYYYY!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:21 pm 

somefella wrote:
Babe - Styx

Pretty catchy, but I don't think that it's glam metal.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Dux_Saxoniae
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:28 pm 

Well, I'll say it: "Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next