Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Soulcap
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:58 pm 

You're probably not gonna remember my name after reading this, but howsoever my forum name = Soulcap
I come here to learn more about Metal, to earn and give respect.

I live in belgium, 20 years old, got a job as truck driver and love American muscle cars; pickups; 18 wheelers and old timers
It is all Pretty recently that i am getting a feeling for Metal, Lets say i always listened to rock and punk rock"

...but i never really went to festivals...

I did listen/knew about some common metal bands as, Metallica; Slipknot; Disturbed. but I'm now trying to find my (sub-)genre of metal.
So last week the first band i saw playing live [@Belgium, lokerse feesten] was 'Enter Shikari' a post-hardcore band, Right there i felt that first scream live.
Started to search common bands, I got in touch with 'Bury Tomorrow; Memphis May Fire; ..

After looking up for scream bands it keeps with a 'metal and hardcore punk' combination.
So hopefully true the encyclopaedia metallum, I'll find the genre that suits me well, and who knows i might one day also understand & enjoy The METAL.

Soul.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:57 pm 

Well, I suppose I should introduce myself.
I've been using this website nearly a decade now, but only decided to log onto these forums recently.

Anyhow, I've just moved back to Canada with my wife after living 9 years in Japan.
I do graphic design for money; and music, DJing, writing and journalism as my passion. I used to be active in the Japanese industrial and metal scenes as DJ, musician, and event organizer.
I still have my solo dark ambient project Kanashibari, and used to do vocals in a death metal band called Deadly Sins (not on this site yet)

Anyhow, genres I'm into:

black metal, old school death metal, doom/death, 80s metal of all genres, early crust punk, early industrial, dark ambient, martial/neofolk, 80s goth/deathrock, medieval darkwave, old folk music.....

Generally within that spectrum.

Nice to meet you.....

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:31 pm 

talvikki77 wrote:
GardensofGrief wrote:
Gothic

Tiamat- Wildhoney
Moonspell- Wolfheart
Amathema- Eternity
Type O Negative- World Coming Down
Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses
Draconian- Arcane Rain Fell
Lacrimas Profundere- Burning A wish
Lacrimas Profundere- Memorandum
My Dying Bride- Like Gods of the Sun
My Dying Bride- The Angel and the Dark River
Theatre of Tragedy- Aegis
Paradise Lost- Icon
The Gathering- Mandylion
Sentenced- The Cold White Light

\m/

Awesome gothic bands. I don't know Draconian and have not listened to much Sentenced, I guess I oughta check them out. I noticed you've mostly stayed away from gothic metal bands with female vocalists..not a fan of those?

Well... he did choose Theatre of Tragedy and The Gathering? And more than two I wouldn't be able to call in the version of Gothic metal he defines with those titles. Other female fronted bands are on a completely different spectrum of music.
Although I'm a bigger fan of 'Velvet Darkness They Fear' by Theatre of Tragedy.

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:01 pm 

I just generally stay away from "gothic metal" in general, preferring straight gothic rock or darkwave.

Most of the bands he listed did have some good albums in their early years. I'm a huge fan of My Dying Bride and the first 5 Tiamat albums.

GardensofGrief
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am 

crises79 wrote:
Well... he did choose Theatre of Tragedy and The Gathering? And more than two I wouldn't be able to call in the version of Gothic metal he defines with those titles. Other female fronted bands are on a completely different spectrum of music.
Although I'm a bigger fan of 'Velvet Darkness They Fear' by Theatre of Tragedy.

I like the first 3 Theatre of Tragedy albums though Aegis the most, after that though the rest of their discography is really mehhh.

Atropus wrote:
I just generally stay away from "gothic metal" in general, preferring straight gothic rock or darkwave.

Most of the bands he listed did have some good albums in their early years. I'm a huge fan of My Dying Bride and the first 5 Tiamat albums.

Yeah Tiamat really dropped off after A Deeper Kind of Slumber, what a shame, but still Wildhoney is in my opinion the best album the genre has produced.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:53 pm 

I don't think I'd call anything Anathema ever did "gothic metal". I am unsure about Tiamat's Wildhoney, I guess it *sort of* fits.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

GardensofGrief
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:47 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I don't think I'd call anything Anathema ever did "gothic metal". I am unsure about Tiamat's Wildhoney, I guess it *sort of* fits.

I'd say Anathema's earlier albums fit, though I think Eternity fits the bill the most, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Sherin ilias
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:57 am 

Nice to see this introduction!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 pm 

I don't see them very much influenced by gothic music and more influenced by Pink Floyd's The Final Cut and Roger Waters' solo work. Eternity and Alternative 4 that is.

FedToTheDead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 pm 

Intros.

Hey, I'm Kyle. Lurked this site for a while, decided to register. I'm hoping to get involved in writing reviews and other general work that needs to get done on the site.

LightningSlayer13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 am 

Hey there, I'm Doug. I've been lurking this site for a long time, but I finally decided to sign up for the site.
I like most subgenres of metal and some of my favorite bands are Motorhead, Slayer, Anaal Nathrakh, Black Dahlia Murder, Dissection, Carcass, and Death. I hope to contribute reviews and help with whatever needs helping on this site.

rageagainstyoutoo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:09 am 

Hi, i've been looking for this site to a long time too but i decided to sign up after to be very disappointed by another Metal website.
My favorite subgenres are Thrash, Doom, Hardcore, Experimental .
Top 5 favorite bands: Voivod, Abstract Spirit, Raised Fist, Mr Bungle, Vektor.
I hope to contribute and speak quietly on this site.

CrawlingChaosProductions
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:19 am 

Wayde from Australia here!

I'm not really keen on these introduction things, but anyway, here we go...

My favourite genre is death metal, particularly the old-school variety and I also listen to a lot of black/death and doom metal. I used to be heavily into thrash as well but not so much these days. Traditional metal still gets my penis hard as well, when executed well.

I've been running a webzine for a few years called Witching Metal, which you can find here: Witching Metal Webzine
and on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/witchingmetalzine

I also recently started up a distro, which you can find here: www.crawlingchaosproductions.com/
and on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CrawlingChaosProductions

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 am 

^ Hey, I know you! :D Welcome here, Wayde.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CrawlingChaosProductions
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 am 

Haha, g'day Mikey!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:04 pm 

Australians are like black people, they all know each other.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

CrawlingChaosProductions
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 pm 

Well, we actually live about 15 minutes away from each other, which technically makes us related I guess.

Daemonivm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:19 pm 

Hello. I'm Daemonivm and I don't know what to say, as usual. :scratch:
I'm mostly into Black, Death and 'Viking' metal. I guess my preferred bands are Hypocrisy, Bloodbath, Amon Amarth, Marduk and Darkthrone.
I find The Metal Archives vital and its forum seems interesting. I've been laughing with some of your posts.

So, eh... read you later. :headbang:

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:33 pm 

Hi, my name is Windom Earle and I am a fictional character in the American TV series Twin Peaks.

I was a former FBI agent, and the former partner and best friend of Agent Dale Cooper. I was featured in the second half of the second season. I am an evil genius and a master of disguise, well-versed in esoterica from all parts of the world. I have extensive knowledge of the "dugpas", ancient Tibetan sorcerers dedicated to pure evil.

Wilwyn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:37 pm 

Hail and well met, metal faithful! Call me Wilwyn. Although I've been listening to some variations of metal for some years now, I've never known very much about the genre other than the specific bands I've listened to. And the list is somewhat random: insane-asylum avante garde(Unexpect) to very proggy death(The Faceless) to almost straight up classical sounding stuff(Haggard). I would mention some metalcore too, but I don't want to be bludgeoned to death. I never knew metalcore was never actually metal til I came her. Actually, a number of bands I've listened to that I would've called metal apparently isn't metal here. Although, right now, I've been cutting back on a lot of metal lately, mostly focusing on symphonic/folksy stuff. I'm still waiting for someone to successfully mash Gregorian chant with metal.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:15 pm 

So this free for all thread. Is it just for shooting the shit?

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:29 pm 

I guess I should introduce my self. My names Robert and I like serial killers beer and metal.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am 

Wilwyn wrote:
Hail and well met, metal faithful! Call me Wilwyn. Although I've been listening to some variations of metal for some years now, I've never known very much about the genre other than the specific bands I've listened to. And the list is somewhat random: insane-asylum avante garde(Unexpect) to very proggy death(The Faceless) to almost straight up classical sounding stuff(Haggard). I would mention some metalcore too, but I don't want to be bludgeoned to death. I never knew metalcore was never actually metal til I came her. Actually, a number of bands I've listened to that I would've called metal apparently isn't metal here. Although, right now, I've been cutting back on a lot of metal lately, mostly focusing on symphonic/folksy stuff. I'm still waiting for someone to successfully mash Gregorian chant with metal.

Hello there. Which bands would not be metal under this sites definition? I won't chew you out :P. Also, metalcore is a fusion genre, so some bands are more metal, some more core. Bullet for my valentine, Atreyu, Asking Alexandria would fall more on the core side, and Shadows Fall and Unearth would fall more on the metal side, hence the last two are included here.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:29 am 

Interesting, if I was moving away from metal my first impulse wouldn't be to register to a metal forum...

Andromeda_Unchained
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:23 pm 

Alright, been posting reviews here for a while, never been active on the forums. Thought I'd change that as most the other forums I post at are nigh on dead.

Nephilim96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:06 pm 

Hi name's Nephilim96. I post on a few other Metal forums, and I'd like to start posting here too.

My taste in metal is pretty eclectic, as I like Black, Death, Doom, Thrash, and some "traditional" stuff. I also like some ambient, electronic, and classical music. I like to watch hockey and football when I'm not listening to music.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 pm 

Welcome, Kings, Sharks or Ducks fan?

Also, why do you capitalize metal genres while you don't for the non metal ones? Weird!

Some guidance: lurk and find the feel of the forums, use the help threads of the Recommendation forum if you want to use it. Join the chat if you want to talk to me, I'm usually there (not right now!)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nephilim96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:39 am 

Huge Ducks fan. My two passions in life are Metal and Ducks hockey.

I did that on accident. I was thinking of something else to mention, and I just forgot to capitalize those other genres.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been using the archives for a while now, so I have a decent grasp on the site, and I'm looking forward to posting on the forums. Awesome site you guys have!

HokeyReligions_AncientWeapons
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:41 pm 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Metal-Archives has been my main source of metal information, news, and entertainment for a while now. I figured I would enjoy posting and maybe writing some reviews too.

Lately I've been really into Darkthrone, Inquisition, Abigail and Syphilitic Vaginas. While I particularly love black metal, most things with d-beats and combinations thereof, I'd say most of the metal sub-genres are pretty appealing to me. I'm currently listening to Adrenaline O.D. - Trans Am (The Saga Continues).

Looking forward to contributing to the site soon!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:23 pm 

God this nickname is so obnoxious :( Sorry, someone had to tell you!

GardensofGrief
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:53 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Wilwyn wrote:

Hello there. Which bands would not be metal under this sites definition? I won't chew you out :P. Also, metalcore is a fusion genre, so some bands are more metal, some more core. Bullet for my valentine, Atreyu, Asking Alexandria would fall more on the core side, and Shadows Fall and Unearth would fall more on the metal side, hence the last two are included here.

I wouldn't even say Bullet for my valentine, Atreyu, and Asking Alexandria are even Metalcore, to me the true CORE side of the genre would be bands like Integrity, Earth Crisis, Deadguy, Starkweather, Unbroken, Converge etc. I bet if the genre stayed in the direction of those bands it wouldn't be so hated today.

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:42 am 

Hi, my name is Eric. I've been a metalhead since the mid-eighties. I play drums and guitar. I'm into all kinds of music but my favorite metal genres are classic, death, black and some thrash. I refer to this site often for reviews and such. Nice to be here and take part in discussion. My solo project has an entry here (not submitted by me) which is pretty cool. http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hell_of_All_Hells/113724. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I hope the "mallcore kid" title doesn't last too long. :cry:

Hails

Last edited by hellofallhells on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:45 am 

Wow, je ne savais pas que ton band existait, j'habite Laval! Bienvenue et je crois que le titre de "mallcore kid" change après genre 30 commentaires :)

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:03 am 

Hello, fellow Lavallois! C'est pas vraiment un "band" juste un projet que j'enrégistre moi-même. (It's not really a "band" just a solo project I record myself). Thanks for the welcome!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:00 am 

Greetings, Eric. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:39 pm 

i am johnny.. an artist (facebook.com/sleptt).. i understand i have gotten out of hand with posts before, apologies.. thought i would finally introduce myself..
right on.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:55 pm 

Hi folks. Used to be active as a trader under the name of Orthodox Caveman. For some reason that account does not work anymore, so I decided to make a new one. It probably works still, but I couldn't be arsed to find out how or why.

I'm very big on sludge/stoner/doom/black/americana/noise/ambient/blues/jazz and well, pretty much a big variety of genres. Also a big enjoyer of horror/gore/arthouse films. Active in music when it comes to organising gigs.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:55 am 

Are you also a Scotch drinker?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:36 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I think you know the answer already, my friend ;) Yes, I am. I'm very passionate about Single Malt Scotch and specialty beers. When it comes to Scotch, I prefer myself the Islay and old style Speysides.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

I think you know the answer already, my friend ;) Yes, I am. I'm very passionate about Single Malt Scotch and specialty beers. When it comes to Scotch, I prefer myself the Islay and old style Speysides.

Good to hear. I just got into Islays earlier this year through Laphroaig, and a bottle Ardbeg was my most recent purchase a few months ago. I'd love to try some of the other Laphroiag varieties - 18 year, quarter cask, and cask strength - though they're more than I can afford at the time. Any one in that group that you'd recommend?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 156  Next